PDA

View Full Version : Rockets not renewing Associate Head Coach and DC Bzdelik

Scoots
05-20-2019, 07:41 PM
It will be interesting to see who D'Antoni adds. From the outside it seemed Bzdelik was a stabilizing force on the team.

Scoots
05-20-2019, 07:44 PM
It would be great if they could get Tony Bennett for the gig and set him up as a head coach when D'Antoni retires.

ewing
05-20-2019, 08:42 PM
I thought he was “assistant to the regional manager”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronz
05-20-2019, 09:09 PM
What happens if they start off bad again next year? Is it time for the return of Melo?

ewing
05-20-2019, 09:23 PM
What happens if they start off bad again next year? Is it time for the return of Melo?

He’s going back to the Knicks. Banana boat baby

LaVar Ball
05-22-2019, 11:45 AM
This new owner of the Rockets is so garbage

You get rid of the defensive coach only to give Antoni an extension. Last summer you get rid of Ariza and Mbah Moute and you saw that those long arms could’ve been effective in somewhat limiting Durant like they did in the 2018 ECF. Stupid ownership, stupid management . The rockets are going down the toilet. Can’t wait til they get bounced in the second round (or maybe even first) next year. Garbage garbage ownership with garbage decision making.

JAZZNC
05-22-2019, 04:52 PM
**** this *******. He is a complete joke of a coach. He ran my favorite college program so far into the ground they will likely never be relevant again. Screw him.

Scoots
05-22-2019, 05:03 PM
**** this *******. He is a complete joke of a coach. He ran my favorite college program so far into the ground they will likely never be relevant again. Screw him.

Yeah, he's clearly not a head coach, at least he realized it, unlike Thibs.

Scoots
05-22-2019, 05:04 PM
I'm a little surprised no Rockets fans have commented. I really like the idea of them getting Bennett.

Saddletramp
05-22-2019, 06:09 PM
I'm a little surprised no Rockets fans have commented. I really like the idea of them getting Bennett.

Meh, it’s not surprising. He didn’t want to come back last year (although Carmelo mighta been a factor in that). He’s old and ready to retire. He was good, though and hopefully they can replace him with someone even better.

Scoots
05-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Meh, it’s not surprising. He didn’t want to come back last year (although Carmelo mighta been a factor in that). He’s old and ready to retire. He was good, though and hopefully they can replace him with someone even better.

How much longer do you think D'Antoni is going to stick around? I suggested Tony Bennett above, but they'd have to pay him pretty big and make him some promises to get him to come. But I think that would be a very interesting pairing of offense and defense ... the issue would be that Bennett would want players to stay back on the defensive end a little longer most likely and he doesn't really like pace.

Saddletramp
05-22-2019, 07:31 PM
How much longer do you think D'Antoni is going to stick around? I suggested Tony Bennett above, but they'd have to pay him pretty big and make him some promises to get him to come. But I think that would be a very interesting pairing of offense and defense ... the issue would be that Bennett would want players to stay back on the defensive end a little longer most likely and he doesn't really like pace.

I think they’re negotiating now. And I’d imagine the faster pace will win out if it comes to it.

Scoots
05-22-2019, 08:48 PM
I think they’re negotiating now. And I’d imagine the faster pace will win out if it comes to it.

I think that's a fair assumption.

JAZZNC
05-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Why would Bennett want to be an assistant? He is a hero in VA now and likely will continue to get too recruits. He's probably got a lifetime gig if he wants. I guess some people just want to try their hand in the NBA??

Scoots
05-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Why would Bennett want to be an assistant? He is a hero in VA now and likely will continue to get too recruits. He's probably got a lifetime gig if he wants. I guess some people just want to try their hand in the NBA??

That was my thinking ... and a chance at being an associate head coach on a top team with a good GM with a direct line to being the head coach.

tp13baby
05-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Bennett will stay at VA. Make more money and better job security.

Scoots
05-27-2019, 12:16 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/rockets-mike-dantoni-coaching-staff-003133293.html

Rockets really starting to tear it down around D'Antoni. Supposedly they were negotiating an extension with him ... does this mean that failed and they are considering moving on from him sooner than later too?

ewing
05-27-2019, 12:47 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/rockets-mike-dantoni-coaching-staff-003133293.html

Rockets really starting to tear it down around D'Antoni. Supposedly they were negotiating an extension with him ... does this mean that failed and they are considering moving on from him sooner than later too?

Why the hell doesn’t Mike get to pick his staff?!

Scoots
05-27-2019, 01:53 PM

I would guess it depends on his contract. Not a good look regardless.

Hustla23
05-27-2019, 05:22 PM
The Rockets are done.

TrueFan420
05-27-2019, 07:23 PM

Their likely gearing up to hire him. He has 1 year left on his deal. He’s either next out the door or their going to start building a new staff they feel will get him and the team over the hump weather he likes it or not. If he doesn’t he won’t be brought back and they’ll have a staff in place for whoever they bring in plus space for 1-2 guys they bring with.

Scoots
05-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Their likely gearing up to hire him. He has 1 year left on his deal. He’s either next out the door or their going to start building a new staff they feel will get him and the team over the hump weather he likes it or not. If he doesn’t he won’t be brought back and they’ll have a staff in place for whoever they bring in plus space for 1-2 guys they bring with.

An odd way to build a team.

ewing
05-27-2019, 10:37 PM

They can get rid of him if they want but then they should hire someone and let that person pick there staff

TrueFan420
05-28-2019, 01:15 AM
An odd way to build a team.

A little but if they bring good coaches in it doesn’t matter. Good coaches help the team.

TrueFan420
05-28-2019, 01:19 AM
They can get rid of him if they want but then they should hire someone and let that person pick there staff

Probably but it depends on who’s an option and who isn’t. Also who knows maybe Mike has a say and it’s just clean house for new voices.

ewing
05-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Probably but it depends on who’s an option and who isn’t. Also who knows maybe Mike has a say and it’s just clean house for new voices.

It doesn’t matter. Your coach should pick his staff and not have a bunch of plants from the front office.

Scoots
05-28-2019, 09:52 AM
It doesn’t matter. Your coach should pick his staff and not have a bunch of plants from the front office.

I agree. There have been several head coaches fired where one of the reasons was that they didn't build a good enough staff. I've seen some stuff recently where coaches complained about their GM wanting too much roster building work from the coach which I find bizarre. I would think the head coach should build the staff and work closely with the GM on the roster construction.

Unless the owner is firing staff members to "protect" D'Antoni from doing it himself, but are willing to let him replace the staff himself ... this is bizarre.

ewing
05-28-2019, 09:56 AM
I agree. There have been several head coaches fired where one of the reasons was that they didn't build a good enough staff. I've seen some stuff recently where coaches complained about their GM wanting too much roster building work from the coach which I find bizarre. I would think the head coach should build the staff and work closely with the GM on the roster construction.

Unless the owner is firing staff members to "protect" D'Antoni from doing it himself, but are willing to let him replace the staff himself ... this is bizarre.

Agreed. The front office and the coach often have some conflicting interests but they need to be able to work together and respect each other's turf to be successful. I'm not saying it couldn't work in some instances but not allowing a coach to pick his own staff seems like a bad practice in general

formula101
05-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Rockets being run into the ground by a cheap owner.

cmellofan15
05-28-2019, 09:44 PM
Rockets being run into the ground by a cheap owner.

Gotta find the link but I heard there's been a falling out with Dantoni and these firings are an attempt to push him out.

redsox12
05-28-2019, 09:57 PM
There no way Tony is leaving UVA, he is built too much to leave now, plus as much as I love him, his style may not mesh with the NBA.

Scoots
05-28-2019, 11:59 PM
Gotta find the link but I heard there's been a falling out with Dantoni and these firings are an attempt to push him out.

I saw something similar. There was news they were working on an extension and then a week later several people on his staff are let go. Seems like D'Antoni is going to be a lame duck coach. Maybe they are hoping he quits so they can owe him less?

I heard rumors of Morey being told to cut payroll last off-season which lead to Ariza and Mbah A Moute leaving.

On the bright side there isn't really any free agent of their own they need to re-sign so they can potentially significantly improve this offseason ... the roster anyhow.

Scoots
05-29-2019, 12:00 AM
There no way Tony is leaving UVA, he is built too much to leave now, plus as much as I love him, his style may not mesh with the NBA.

It wasn't at all likely I acknowledge, but at least it would be an interesting positive step for him to co-head coach the rockets for a year to "learn" the offense before D'Antoni "retires"

Saddletramp
05-29-2019, 03:22 AM
I saw something similar. There was news they were working on an extension and then a week later several people on his staff are let go. Seems like D'Antoni is going to be a lame duck coach. Maybe they are hoping he quits so they can owe him less?

I heard rumors of Morey being told to cut payroll last off-season which lead to Ariza and Mbah A Moute leaving.

On the bright side there isn't really any free agent of their own they need to re-sign so they can potentially significantly improve this offseason ... the roster anyhow.

From what I heard Luc wanted to go back to LA. Not like he signed for a lot of money, plus his injuries rendered him pretty moot, anyway. And Ariza took a crazy offer and ran with it. Not many owners in that position would pay him $15 for one year when CP3 and Capela just got huge raises. Can’t blame Fertitta for those.

I don’t know what’s going on with D’Antoni but I knew that once Fertitta was rumored to be the new owner, I figured the Rockets had until Harden’s prime years are over to get it done because he’s......well......not someone I’d want as the owner of the team I root for.

formula101
06-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Cheap owner, treadmill team.

Saddletramp
06-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Cheap owner, treadmill team.

I was against Fertitta buying the team (not that it mattered, obviously) because I know that he’ll be cheap in the future if they’re not contenders. But I think it’s too early for him to be making decisions because he’s cheaping out. I think he sees that this team and coaches haven’t got it done so it’s time to upgrade. They’re too close to be cutting back now. In five years if they aren’t still contending? Then yeah, this guy will run the team dry.

joemon
06-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I think he had retired before the season started and then came back after a few weeks.https://192168ll.onl/ (https://192168ll.onl/) https://xender.vip/ (https://xender.vip/) https://testmyspeed.onl/ (https://testmyspeed.onl/)