PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild, Retool, Run It Back...

beasted86
05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Pick between 1-3 teams for each category. You don't have to cover all categories. Give a brief explanation of why/how.

Rebuild: Orlando Magic
-Vucevic and Gordon and the rest of the team are perpetual underachievers. Overpaying Vucevic on a new contract would be the worst thing ever. Tear it down fully and trade away Gordon eventually.

Retool: Houston Rockets
-Their main core of Harden, Paul, Gordon, Tucker and Capella can work. They need much more reliable defenders and shooters though. They just need to grab 3 rock solid role players this summer.

Run it back: Denver Nuggets
-Aside from adding a good bench 3&D guy, they should run this team back. With more experience they can make another deep run.

Scoots
05-13-2019, 12:22 PM
How can the Magic rebuild when they haven't been built?

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Trolls back at it. Stop scoots.

warfelg
05-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Run it back isnít Philly? They had 21 games together and were minutes away from the ECF.

beasted86
05-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Run it back isnít Philly? They had 21 games together and were minutes away from the ECF.

If that's your choice make it.
I wasn't planning on running through every team. But why should Philly run it back?
Do you think chemistry is the only thing holding them back from winning a title? Is the salary that it will cost to keep the team together worth it? Butler, Harris, and Reddick all FAs, and other role players. Make your case. Doesn't need a lengthy explanation.

Rivera
05-13-2019, 12:56 PM
I just wanted to make a point that Orlando at one time had

Oladipo - Aaron Gordon - Tobias Harris - Vooch - Evan Fournier - Mo Harkless all on the same roster in 2014

so much talent we let go for basically nothing :sigh:

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 01:01 PM
A western executive thinks the Lakers and Philly may explore a LeBron-Simmons trade.

IndyRealist
05-13-2019, 01:08 PM

Butler feels like BPA but not best fit for that team. There's likely someone you can get that, while not as good overall, is cheaper and fits better.

Tg11
05-13-2019, 01:25 PM
A team in real need of a rebuild especially right now...does it need to be a playoff team? If not, then a team in need of a serious rebuild is the Miami Heat.

As far as retooling, I agree with the Rockets but I would also put the Spurs in this conversation as well.

As far as running it back, I would go with the Brooklyn Nets or Indiana Pacers

crewfan13
05-13-2019, 01:32 PM
If that's your choice make it.
I wasn't planning on running through every team. But why should Philly run it back?
Do you think chemistry is the only thing holding them back from winning a title? Is the salary that it will cost to keep the team together worth it? Butler, Harris, and Reddick all FAs, and other role players. Make your case. Doesn't need a lengthy explanation.

To me, run it back is probably the right choice. That being said, the reason it's a difficult choice is because you are legit signing guys to a long term deal to run it back. If the awkward fit is a real issue, you've just signed up for multiple years of it. If butler and Harris each had a year left on their deals, run it back is an easier choice. But the fact each guy is probably looking for something at least close to the max, if not the max, makes that an expensive choice if it doesn't work.

And I think teams like minn can attest to, trading away stars, but especially disgruntled stars or stars who dont fit rarely results in getting equal value back.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 01:37 PM
We all know Miami will run it back for part 4.

beasted86
05-13-2019, 01:58 PM
A team in real need of a rebuild especially right now...does it need to be a playoff team? If not, then a team in need of a serious rebuild is the Miami Heat.

As far as retooling, I agree with the Rockets but I would also put the Spurs in this conversation as well.

As far as running it back, I would go with the Brooklyn Nets or Indiana Pacers

I'd agree Miami needs to rebuild, but also has an unprotected 1st round draft pick they already in 2021. They cannot tear it down to nothing. They have to field a team good enough to fight for 8th for 2 more years... Either that or find a way to trade for their own 2021 pick back.

smith&wesson
05-13-2019, 01:59 PM

For me philly is the run it back team. Embiid and Simmons will grow from this post season. If Harris and Butler stay and this team has time to mesh they will be contenders in the east for years.

Philly can also fall under the retool category because they have so many options. They can trade Simmons for another star. They can resign Butler and or Harris. They could let one walk and invest more on a bench ...

I think bringing jimmy back should be priority number one.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Denver will be even better adding MPJ who was projected 1st in the draft before injury. Heís the real deal.

Scoots
05-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Trolls back at it. Stop scoots.

A "rebuild" implies a tear down right? The Magic are still young.

beasted86
05-13-2019, 03:56 PM
A "rebuild" implies a tear down right? The Magic are still young.

Orlando should at minimum possibly shed 5-6 of their main 8 rotation players. For me that's considered a rebuild:

DJ Augustin - Not a starting PG should be a bench player. Trade as expiring this summer. Need a better veteran to mentor Fultz.
Fournier - Mediocre player entering final year of contract. Trade him for a team that needs to shed bad salary and get back a 1st.
Vucevic - Not worth what he'll be asking for. Choked in the playoffs. Should have traded for a haul at the deadline.
Ross - Will want a pay raise when he's been inconsistent outside of last year. Let him walk.
MCW - Garbage should not be on an NBA team. Horrible mentor for Fultz.
Birch - Solid role player, but will need new contract and is 26. Doesn't fit timeline. Unless he wants small money, let him walk.

So rebuild is accurate. Get rid of the vast majority of your rotation. They should also consider moving Gordon for picks and letting Fultz be the tank commander.

Chronz
05-14-2019, 08:10 AM
How can the Magic rebuild when they haven't been built?

I think the Warriors have jaded you as a fan, some teams are in perpetual rebuilds.

Magic could blow it up but if they get Vooch back cheap, they should do it.Hes an excellent mentor for Bamba and bridges the gap for the 2 teams.

-----------------------------------

My choice for a complete tear down are the Hornets. They have no choice but to embrace the suck, at this point. Go full on hinkie and hope they dont get stuck with a GM that will **** up the process right in the middle of it.

Retool, the Rockets. They need to run an actual offense that involves players, it will put a dent in Hardens production but I think given its obvious playoff limitations, they would be better served not having Harden try to pull a Wade/Bron/Kobe and try to carry that way. Hell, even those superior players failed in similar styles. It might be impossible but finding a way to make CP3 more productive could help you unload him or at least make him more serviceable. Do you fire D'Antoni or do you appreciate the fact that hes pushed the Dubs more than most would have expected? I often wonder what would have become of them if they chose JVG over him, they already have a stout defense but I imagine them as a historically elite one. I might be old fashioned but I prefer a mediocre offense built around a star with insane defense over the all offense to highlight 1 guy model. Kind of how the Raps went building their contender with depth and defense that can carry you through the regular season AND THEN have your superstar show up big and carry in the post season.

Run it back team is deffo 76'ers, I know they got the huge BS extension for Ben Simmons coming but you've got to give this unit one more crack at it if you can. I think Jimmy bolts if they dont offer more than anyone else but I believe in him. Perfect trade for them would be BS for CJ or someone but unless something like that materializes, you run this back 1 more year.