PDA

View Full Version : Which loss is more painful and why?

IKnowHoops
05-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Last year it felt like Houston had it stolen from then

This year it was given to them and the didnít want to take it

As a Rockets fan, which series loss leaves you with a worst taste all up in your mouth?

If you arenít a rockets fan, if you were, which loss would drive you crazier?

GREATNESS ONE
05-11-2019, 01:22 AM
Rockets forum, nothing else will come positive with this thread...

Sorry Rocky fans, time to blow it up.

SiteWolf
05-11-2019, 07:47 AM
the latest one will always feel the worst, because by then you've already put the previous one mostly out of your mind...

IndyRealist
05-11-2019, 10:25 AM
I was listening to Paul Pierce push this narrative the entire pregame. There's nothing to compare last year to this year. Their forwards are different. They are really missing Ariza. CP3 is a shell of his former self just last year. You can't predict when a player will drop off, but when they do it happens FAST. And the Warriors minus KD are still basically the same championship team that they were prior to Durant coming, with only Igoudala really past his prime.

And Houston had to play Austin Rivers.

smith&wesson
05-11-2019, 11:15 AM
I would want CP3 traded but thatís easier said then done

Scoots
05-11-2019, 11:27 AM
I would want CP3 traded but thatís easier said then done

That would cost multiple 1st round picks ... like 5-7 1st round picks.

JAZZNC
05-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Yeah, nobody is trading for Chris Paul.

Heediot
05-11-2019, 11:49 AM
And the Warriors minus KD are still basically the same championship team that they were prior to Durant coming, with only Igoudala really past his prime.

And Houston had to play Austin Rivers.

They also had Barnes, a younger-declining but still more effective Bogut, A Younger Livingston, and more depth.

likemystylez
05-11-2019, 11:54 AM
They also had Barnes, a younger-declining but still more effective Bogut, A Younger Livingston, and more depth.

agreed- this is not the same as that 73 win team. The rockets were favored by 7.5 points yesterday- There is no way that 73 win warriors team would be a 7.5 underdog to a 53 win team.

likemystylez
05-11-2019, 12:00 PM

for the amount of money chris paul is making- you would probably get multiple fairly large bad contracts back.... and it would likely place chris paul in a very bad situation.

LOl if the lakers strike out in free agency- would the lakers trade a second round pick and have chris paul absorb their salary cap? That would be a best case scenerio for chris paul and the rockets- but seeing as magic isnt there anymore, im not sure any other GM would consider that

IndyRealist
05-11-2019, 12:02 PM
agreed- this is not the same as that 73 win team. The rockets were favored by 7.5 points yesterday- There is no way that 73 win warriors team would be a 7.5 underdog to a 53 win team.

Point spreads aren't scientific. The people who set them are just as susceptible to being swayed by hype as anyone.

Heediot
05-11-2019, 12:03 PM
I'd trade Paul for Lowry if both were expiring next year. One is but the other is locked up for 3 more years at a supermax.

likemystylez
05-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Point spreads aren't scientific. The people who set them are just as susceptible to being swayed by hype as anyone.

point spread does not guarantee the outcome of a game. im absolutely aware of that. Infact 21 of the 24 games the warriors lost this season- they were favored to win.

However-If I am going to measure how good a team is or perceived to be by fans around the league, I would rather go with point spreads as an indicator than people on a message board trying to prove a point because they have some personal hatred towards KD and the warriors.

The point spreads are a product of people putting their real money on the line. Its not about what people would like to believe while having no accountability for being proven wrong.

The current warriors without KD are not as good of a team as the 73 win warriors. They still have great players and if they are clicking they can still win big games (Like last night)- but I dont even know if it wouild be reasonable to expect them to win a series against houston without kd. (although- I am aware it would clearly be possible)

Scoots
05-11-2019, 02:08 PM
point spread does not guarantee the outcome of a game. im absolutely aware of that. Infact 21 of the 24 games the warriors lost this season- they were favored to win.

However-If I am going to measure how good a team is or perceived to be by fans around the league, I would rather go with point spreads as an indicator than people on a message board trying to prove a point because they have some personal hatred towards KD and the warriors.

The point spreads are a product of people putting their real money on the line. Its not about what people would like to believe while having no accountability for being proven wrong.

The current warriors without KD are not as good of a team as the 73 win warriors. They still have great players and if they are clicking they can still win big games (Like last night)- but I dont even know if it wouild be reasonable to expect them to win a series against houston without kd. (although- I am aware it would clearly be possible)

Good post. Really good.

IndyRealist
05-11-2019, 03:31 PM

I mean, that's the key line isn't it? What fans think has very little to do with how good teams actually are, because fans purposefully choose to form opinions with incomplete information and have inherent biases. Point spreads represent consensus opinion in the same way polls on PSD do. This Houston team is a shell of what it was last year. There's no reason they should have been favorites, let alone by 7.5 points. Odds makers consistently underestimate the variance from year to year and overestimate the value of individual players. The only reason they don't get hosed on every game is because betters work with even less information.

Scoots
05-11-2019, 03:58 PM
I mean, that's the key line isn't it? What fans think has very little to do with how good teams actually are, because fans purposefully choose to form opinions with incomplete information and have inherent biases. Point spreads represent consensus opinion in the same way polls on PSD do. This Houston team is a shell of what it was last year. There's no reason they should have been favorites, let alone by 7.5 points. Odds makers consistently underestimate the variance from year to year and overestimate the value of individual players. The only reason they don't get hosed on every game is because betters work with even less information.

I agree, but the point spread is probably the best way to judge what most avid fans think. And unlike polls here on PSD they are putting their money where their mouth is too.