PDA

View Full Version : Celtics legend John Havelick passes away

warfelg
04-25-2019, 09:56 PM
Actually upset about this. Underrated player.

LaVar Ball
04-25-2019, 10:01 PM
RIP Hondo

PAOboston
04-25-2019, 10:48 PM
The best 6th man of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaltySalad
04-26-2019, 12:55 AM
my condolences to you as well, truly sorry. the sudden jumps in stages are truly heartbreaking.. he didn't know my grandma half of the time and avoided her even though she took care of him. worst part was towards the end when he wasn't even making sense and broke down because of the confusion. He was one of the first NBA players known for having unlimited endurance as he covered more ground than anyone else on the court during games. They had their own ways of tracking it, and said he ran up to 5 miles per game.A true legend of the game, I speak for all of us when I say he truly will be missed

More-Than-Most
04-26-2019, 05:53 AM
I hate the celtics but this dude was a very underrated player... RIP my dude... RIP.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2019, 09:31 AM
RIP

I will say, anyone 6'5", who lives healthy into their late 70's, is a lucky man. Big guys drop like flies, unfortunately.

Shammyguy3
04-26-2019, 12:33 PM
The best 6th man of all time

Is he really 6th man when in his prime 7 seasons he averaged nearly 42 minutes a game in over 550 games

mightybosstone
04-26-2019, 12:45 PM
RIP Hondo. Definitely one of my favorite guys to discuss in historic NBA conversations and a guy I would freaking love to have on the Rockets today. I always hate the phrase "plays the game the right way," but if there was a guy who epitomizes that ideal, it was John freaking Havlicek.

PAOboston
04-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Is he really 6th man when in his prime 7 seasons he averaged nearly 42 minutes a game in over 550 games

Yes. Because he was legit a 6th man for a large portion of his career since all the starters were legit HOFers. That being said, just because you are sixth man, it doesn’t mean you have to play limited minutes.

Chronz
04-28-2019, 09:08 AM
RIP

I will say, anyone 6'5", who lives healthy into their late 70's, is a lucky man. Big guys drop like flies, unfortunately.

Its crazy cuz in his playing days dude would literally never tire, running circles around everyone in the 4th just cuz of his supreme conditioning. Then you have his teammate, Tommy the homer Heinsohn, smoking during half time/having ROY season (Russell stole it from him) and hes still alive and kicking today. I wonder what it was

Chronz
04-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Alot of 6th men play starter minutes and close games, I think we should have a 7th man aware or role player award but find a better name for it.

bagwell368
04-28-2019, 05:05 PM
RIP

Oh thanks... 62 years old at 6' 8" here ...

He ran and ran and ran some more. He was the fresh legs that helped win the last few with Bill, then bridged into the most underrated C's dynasty with White, Cowens, Silas.

He led the C's team with the most victories in history - 68- but got hurt in the playoffs and they couldn't get by the Knicks. That would have made 9 in all, and 3 for that group.

If you never saw him, he was sort of like Bird without the trash talk and the deep shooting range.

I've raised my glass with my sons and my best friends already, but here is one more time. RIP Mr. Havlicek.

bagwell368
04-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Frank Ramsey was the original 6th man, pretty much stayed that way.

Havlicek was a kid on a loaded team, it took a few years to clear the way...

McHale was a 6th man at first too.

bagwell368
04-28-2019, 05:15 PM
One more thing. After Red quit Coaching, Russell did not get the whole gig. Havlicek got the offense, but all 3 agreed it was better to name Russell.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Oh thanks... 62 years old at 6' 8" here ...

He ran and ran and ran some more. He was the fresh legs that helped win the last few with Bill, then bridged into the most underrated C's dynasty with White, Cowens, Silas.

He led the C's team with the most victories in history - 68- but got hurt in the playoffs and they couldn't get by the Knicks. That would have made 9 in all, and 3 for that group.

If you never saw him, he was sort of like Bird without the trash talk and the deep shooting range.

I've raised my glass with my sons and my best friends already, but here is one more time. RIP Mr. Havlicek.

My Dad is 6'6", 67 years old. I didn't mean it as a shot, sorry man. Just worry about big guys.

Hondo was the man. Quiet killer, and could mold into anything you needed. Huge fan dude

rc33
04-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Two players in NBA history with 26,000 points, 8000 rebounds and 6000 assists.
One is LeBron; I'll let you guess the other.
He retired much the way he played; understated and unassuming.
Did a lot of fishing with an old Ohio State teammate (Bobby Knight) and played a lot of golf with another Buckeye classmate, Jack Nicklaus.
EIGHT rings and a total class act.
Shame on all of us for allowing his passing to go so unnoticed.

bagwell368
05-01-2019, 07:42 AM
My Dad is 6'6", 67 years old. I didn't mean it as a shot, sorry man. Just worry about big guys.

Nah... not a problem, just being ironic.

Hondo was the man. Quiet killer, and could mold into anything you needed. Huge fan dude

In his prime he could cover taller guards, small forwards, and about 1/2 of the PF's. Also a great FT shooter.

JoJo White and JH gone. Most of the Russell era guys gone. Even DJ. Life is short...

Heediot
05-03-2019, 05:12 AM
r.i.p legend.

I know warfelg didn't do it on purpose, but could the mods correct the spelling of his name (in the thread title). it would be a nice gesture of respect to a guy that has a place in the history of the game.