PDA

View Full Version : This is why the NBA is unwatchable and something needs to be done

More-Than-Most
04-22-2019, 10:08 PM
bucks vs pistons... the FT are 38-7 right now and every single time giannis is even near a defender he goes to the line... even the announcers are in disbelief right now... this has been an amazing game by detroit and of course they wont win the series but this is just disgusting.

Giannis has shot more than double the free throws as the entire pistons team

More-Than-Most
04-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Detroit up and controlling the game and 15-2 FT in this quarter.... you cant ****ing defend in this game anymore

LaVar Ball
04-23-2019, 12:31 AM
ok

GREATNESS ONE
04-23-2019, 01:06 AM
Donít worry, Bucks getting beat next round

LakerClipperFan
04-23-2019, 01:18 AM
I'm cool so long as Freak gets those calls vs. GSW. Actually I will love it.

buckalis
04-23-2019, 06:47 AM
bucks vs pistons... the FT are 38-7 right now and every single time giannis is even near a defender he goes to the line... even the announcers are in disbelief right now... this has been an amazing game by detroit and of course they wont win the series but this is just disgusting.

Giannis has shot more than double the free throws as the entire pistons team

Announcer: "Ouch! That has even heart me!" :D It looks like a nightmare doesn't it? ...and it's getting worst all the time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocqBqtaKC4 :D

EDIT: But... I have to agree with you... Such a play would have made NBA unwatchable to me as well... If I was a Sixers fan! :D :D :speechless: :D :D

More-Than-Most
04-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Announcer: "Ouch! That has even heart me!" :D It looks like a nightmare doesn't it? ...and it's getting worst all the time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocqBqtaKC4 :D

EDIT: But... I have to agree with you... Such a play would have made NBA unwatchable to me as well... If I was a Sixers fan! :D :D :speechless: :D :D

that has 0 to do with this... i dont mind guys getting calls I mind guys getting calls that arent even fouls all the time. Keep trolling because the way this league allows these refs to officiate soon the go to move to learn for kids coming up will be to kick out their legs when shooting or to just stick their heads down while not even making a basketball attempt at an actual shot and just driving into and forcing contact.... That is the new way of the NBA.

The pistons played their ***** off tonight and got butt ****ed like their was no tomorrow because every single time giannis went near a guy they called a foul the 2nd the bucks were down multiple possessions.

warfelg
04-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Yea, it's something I rail against a bunch in GDT's. FT disparity. I'm trying to find the study again, but it talks abut how penalty disparity should not only be statistically improbable, but the reality of what's called doesn't fit mathematical computations.

Like if calls were a standard bell curve, with the peak being at 0 (meaning penalty differential ends up a net zero), in basketball the peak actually skews to the home team by a factor of +5, which over the course of a season is outside the standard deviation. On top of that it's a sharp dive on the road teams side to not being sent to the line, vs the home team having a statistically significant advantage.

And in the study it showed the following:
~Hockey and Baseball were about the most fair. Over the course of the season + playoffs, calls ended up evening out, with a flat curve up to +/- 2.1 calls per game.
~Football showed a HFA of about 1.8 calls a game for 7.8 yards. This basically amounts to 1 false start and 1 off sides a game caused by being on the road. That's not a statistically significant amount off to justify anything bad.
~NBA was the worse by far. HCA amounted to about 5.2 fouls a game and 11.1 FT's a game. If we assume an NBA average FT rate, that's roughly 75%, and results in about 8 points per game. Given in Vegas the average betting line was up to +/- 3.5 points. So in the NBA, the foul disparity ended up outside the standard deviation, having an impact on betting in a even scoring game, and had an impact to the cost of 2.1 games per season. Meaning on average HCA in the NBA results in about 2 wins, while the other sports showed a maximum impact of 0.5 games a season.

buckalis
04-23-2019, 08:04 AM
that has 0 to do with this... i dont mind guys getting calls I mind guys getting calls that arent even fouls all the time. Keep trolling because the way this league allows these refs to officiate soon the go to move to learn for kids coming up will be to kick out their legs when shooting or to just stick their heads down while not even making a basketball attempt at an actual shot and just driving into and forcing contact.... That is the new way of the NBA.

The pistons played their ***** off tonight and got butt ****ed like their was no tomorrow because every single time giannis went near a guy they called a foul the 2nd the bucks were down multiple possessions.

It shows the difference in ethics and state of mind, doesn't it?:D

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/giannis-antetokounmpo-responds-to-most-unstoppable-boast-from-joel-embiid/

ďIf he believes heís the most unstoppable player in the NBA thatís good for him,Ē Antetokounmpo said. ďObviously, heís a really, really good player. Ö Heís a hard player to guard. I think, like, other people should say that about you; you donít say that about yourself.Ē

Giannis94
04-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Tim Donaghy is the reason I stopped watching the nba sans bucks. Donaghy has ****ed up the nba more than any other person. Including the bucks.

There's a huge talent disparity between the bucks and pistons. ****ing deal with it and stop being a *****. The jealousy seeths from your keyboard

buckalis
04-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Tim Donaghy is the reason I stopped watching the nba sans bucks. Donaghy has ****ed up the nba more than any other person. Including the bucks.

There's a huge talent disparity between the bucks and pistons. ****ing deal with it and stop being a *****. The jealousy seeths from your keyboard

I believe what has ruined the NBA, is Giannis being considered not the MVP, but the "next King"... The best player on the planet taking over from Lebron... Obviously, Embiid should have been given all that credit! :D:speechless::D

More-Than-Most
04-23-2019, 08:16 AM
It shows the difference in ethics and state of mind, doesn't it?:D

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/giannis-antetokounmpo-responds-to-most-unstoppable-boast-from-joel-embiid/

ďIf he believes heís the most unstoppable player in the NBA thatís good for him,Ē Antetokounmpo said. ďObviously, heís a really, really good player. Ö Heís a hard player to guard. I think, like, other people should say that about you; you donít say that about yourself.Ē

I believe what has ruined the NBA, is Giannis being considered not the MVP, but the "next King"... The best player on the planet taking over from Lebron... Obviously, Embiid should have been given all that credit! :D:speechless::D

watching you talk to yourself is incredible.

warfelg
04-23-2019, 08:18 AM

I personally donít think it was Donaghy himself, rather the lack of action by the NBA after. After he said betting and throwing games by refs was common, the NBA pulled what the MLB initially pulled with Jose Canseco. Basically ďyour just trying to get others in troubleĒ. But I think if they took a deep dive they would see refs betting on games is stupid.

Iíve tried to push for a while that refs should not be allowed to work games in areas they grew up or for team they had a rooting interest in. Same for where they currently live.

Giannis94
04-23-2019, 08:51 AM
I personally donít think it was Donaghy himself, rather the lack of action by the NBA after. After he said betting and throwing games by refs was common, the NBA pulled what the MLB initially pulled with Jose Canseco. Basically ďyour just trying to get others in troubleĒ. But I think if they took a deep dive they would see refs betting on games is stupid.

Iíve tried to push for a while that refs should not be allowed to work games in areas they grew up or for team they had a rooting interest in. Same for where they currently live.
If the nba did a big long investigation and released what they found - they would have potentially destroyed the league for a few gears and further dug their own grave behind the NFL.

So in a sense they're operating more like the wwe. They don't care about much as long as they have a few stars in the finals. Which is why the bucks or anyone else would stand no chance vs Lebron and his 7 teammates in the east.

TheDish87
04-23-2019, 09:10 AM
jesus these bucks fans cant stop talking about the sixers. they werent even mentioned in this thread lol

Hawkeye15
04-23-2019, 09:21 AM
I am more turned off by the constant whining, crying, and theatrics of players today. They have become so rich, and so removed from real life because of it, and just a bunch of crybabies that can't take social media criticism.

Maybe I am just getting older, but the players today are just a bunch of babies.

buckalis
04-23-2019, 09:24 AM
I am more turned off by the constant whining, crying, and theatrics of players today. They have become so rich, and so removed from real life because of it, and just a bunch of crybabies that can't take social media criticism.

Maybe I am just getting older, but the players today are just a bunch of babies.

Not all of them... Some are matured pros and those are the ones that stand out.

tp13baby
04-23-2019, 09:33 AM
There is only one player that when he doesnít get his superstar foul call just keeps playing. Thatís Leonard, and thatís why I respect that guy so damn much. I get guys like Harden are good at creating calls but if they donít get one that donít stop *****ing for 3 or 4 possessions or until the ref makes it up.

warfelg
04-23-2019, 09:52 AM

No I agree. I know someone is going to say Iím homering it up, but Dinwiddie has been yelling and complaining to the refs all series about non calls, despite the fact heís initiating the contact. And heís only had 1 tech to show it. Itís like heís expecting the James Harden treatment despite not earning that at all.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2019, 10:03 AM
There is only one player that when he doesnít get his superstar foul call just keeps playing. Thatís Leonard, and thatís why I respect that guy so damn much. I get guys like Harden are good at creating calls but if they donít get one that donít stop *****ing for 3 or 4 possessions or until the ref makes it up.

yet he forced his way out of the best franchise of the past 20 years. Even he is entitled.

Scoots
04-23-2019, 10:18 AM

How about not assigning refs to games until the day before the game, or maybe sending 6 refs to each game and randomly selecting which refs actually work the game so they don't have time or opportunity to bet.

The inconsistent officiating in a single game is what bugs me the most. Seeing the same play two ways get called different is frustrating ... seeing it happen because of acting is infuriating.

Giannis94
04-23-2019, 10:20 AM
How about not assigning refs to games until the day before the game, or maybe sending 6 refs to each game and randomly selecting which refs actually work the game so they don't have time or opportunity to bet.

The inconsistent officiating in a single game is what bugs me the most. Seeing the same play two ways get called different is frustrating ... seeing it happen because of acting is infuriating.

Harden is an actor. Giannis is not.

Giannis94
04-23-2019, 10:24 AM
jesus these bucks fans cant stop talking about the sixers. they werent even mentioned in this thread lol

Your 76ers mascot posted the thread about Giannis. It's well known that he's a troll and even most of your fanbase knows that he's a troll and nothing much more has to be said. But to say that they weren't mentioned in this thread? It's the exact same if I would go and post a thread if Embiid will be in the league 2 years from now ; or if he'll ever shed his injury prone label he's gotten.

I love Philly fans. I just don't call an ace a spade if it's clear an ace.

warfelg
04-23-2019, 10:29 AM

Eh that's a lot of wasted money. Who's going to pay for all of that? Would refs complain about unnecessary travel? Time they could have spent with family?

I think I read somewhere the average NBA ref has 3.8 games a week. Typically they get some chained, so if they are in Boston 1 night, they are in NYC the next, then Washington 2 days later, then back up to NYC. I don't mind that, but if the 3.8 is true, lets hire more refs and reduce that to 2.4 games a week. Cut their work load so they have more time to review, be assessed, rest so they don't have a low BS tolerance.

buckalis
04-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Harden is an actor. Giannis is not.

Do actors have beards? :D

SteBO
04-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Dude I'm 26, and I'm 100% with you. Players are their own corporation now, so whatever sense of entitlement you thought existed even 4 years ago, multiply that x100 now.

That being said, I loathe how coddled officials are now though. I get that officiating a game in real speed isn't the easiest thing, and I understand these are human beings, but players and fans have no inclination that refs are being held accountable be their poor performances. It baffles me how refs like Tony Brothers and Ed Malloy are allowed to officiate playoff games, and I think it's a bad look that players and coaches get fined for calling them out on their awful officiating.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Dude I'm 26, and I'm 100% with you. Players are their own corporation now, so whatever sense of entitlement you thought existed even 4 years ago, multiply that x100 now.

That being said, I loathe how coddled officials are now though. I get that officiating a game in real speed isn't the easiest thing, and I understand these are human beings, but players and fans have no inclination that refs are being held accountable be their poor performances. It baffles me how refs like Tony Brothers and Ed Malloy are allowed to officiate playoff games, and I think it's a bad look that players and coaches get fined for calling them out on their awful officiating.

I think making ref scoring (however the NBA does it) public would help a ton. We know players stats, so why not refs?

It sucks man, I am 43, and I am turning into my Dad. I can easily see not caring about the NBA, at all, within a few years. Go from watching 100+ games a year in entirety, knowing where every single player in the league came from, to not watching a minute. I am already 90% of the way there, but I still check boxscores, and watch it when there is nothing else on. Within a few years, I doubt I even know who more than half the league is.

It's like, am I just getting old? Or has it gotten that bad? Meh. We see Phx fire their coach, and it's like, wtf did you even give him to work with? The only people not held accountable are the players in the NBA now. Guys that straight up ****ing suck get contracts making more money in a single game than 95% of the population makes in a year. It's just sickening.

tredigs
04-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Yea, it's something I rail against a bunch in GDT's. FT disparity. I'm trying to find the study again, but it talks abut how penalty disparity should not only be statistically improbable, but the reality of what's called doesn't fit mathematical computations.

Like if calls were a standard bell curve, with the peak being at 0 (meaning penalty differential ends up a net zero), in basketball the peak actually skews to the home team by a factor of +5, which over the course of a season is outside the standard deviation. On top of that it's a sharp dive on the road teams side to not being sent to the line, vs the home team having a statistically significant advantage.

And in the study it showed the following:
~Hockey and Baseball were about the most fair. Over the course of the season + playoffs, calls ended up evening out, with a flat curve up to +/- 2.1 calls per game.
~Football showed a HFA of about 1.8 calls a game for 7.8 yards. This basically amounts to 1 false start and 1 off sides a game caused by being on the road. That's not a statistically significant amount off to justify anything bad.
~NBA was the worse by far. HCA amounted to about 5.2 fouls a game and 11.1 FT's a game. If we assume an NBA average FT rate, that's roughly 75%, and results in about 8 points per game. Given in Vegas the average betting line was up to +/- 3.5 points. So in the NBA, the foul disparity ended up outside the standard deviation, having an impact on betting in a even scoring game, and had an impact to the cost of 2.1 games per season. Meaning on average HCA in the NBA results in about 2 wins, while the other sports showed a maximum impact of 0.5 games a season.

The reason why you see this in the NBA more than other sports is very clear to me. You're combining the sport with the most subjectivity with the sport that has the fans in the most intimate/intimidating setting. A charge/block call is often incredibly difficult to officiate at the pro level in real time, as are slight moving screens, whether to call contact at the rim when bodies are flying at each other, how much off-ball contact to allow, whether to give a center a "long" 3 seconds in the paint defensively or to call the infraction, etc etc.

Now combine this impossibly difficult sport to everyone's satisfaction (go ahead and check every lively game thread in the history of PSD for the evidence here), to the only sport where fans are literally on the sidelines with you. Not to mention tens of thousands more bellowing up from above. There's no wall like in hockey, and the rough play of their sport negates the need to make split decisions on touch calls. In football they're far away in grandstands, and I would argue while tough, easier overall to officiate.

Bottom line, refs in the NBA are intimidated by the power of the crowd in their ears (subconscious or otherwise), and will lean towards giving those 50/50's to the home team more so than the opponents in order to trade a chorus of 20,000 fans vitriol for their applause.

Scoots
04-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Eh that's a lot of wasted money. Who's going to pay for all of that? Would refs complain about unnecessary travel? Time they could have spent with family?

I think I read somewhere the average NBA ref has 3.8 games a week. Typically they get some chained, so if they are in Boston 1 night, they are in NYC the next, then Washington 2 days later, then back up to NYC. I don't mind that, but if the 3.8 is true, lets hire more refs and reduce that to 2.4 games a week. Cut their work load so they have more time to review, be assessed, rest so they don't have a low BS tolerance.

I've been saying for years the NBA needs a much larger pool of refs. If they had more they wouldn't suck so bad right now because the larger the pool the better choices for the playoffs.

smith&wesson
04-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Your 76ers mascot posted the thread about Giannis. It's well known that he's a troll and even most of your fanbase knows that he's a troll and nothing much more has to be said. But to say that they weren't mentioned in this thread? It's the exact same if I would go and post a thread if Embiid will be in the league 2 years from now ; or if he'll ever shed his injury prone label he's gotten.

I love Philly fans. I just don't call an ace a spade if it's clear an ace.

Lol you know that a spade is a suit and an ace is a face card thus you can have an ace of spades... right?

smith&wesson
04-23-2019, 04:23 PM
I've been saying for years the NBA needs a much larger pool of refs. If they had more they wouldn't suck so bad right now because the larger the pool the better choices for the playoffs.

Yeah I agree