PDA

View Full Version : nba playoffs tv ratings down 26%

krazylegz
04-19-2019, 12:59 PM
https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/19/nba-playoffs-ratings-26-percent-decline/

what is the reason for such a huge decline??....
lebron not in playoffs?
people sick of no defense being played?
sick of superteams?
other?

WaDe03
04-19-2019, 01:04 PM
No Wade or LeBron, foregone conclusion until KD and Klay leave this summer.

Heediot
04-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Warriors super team and talent makes the season too predictable.

KG2TB
04-19-2019, 01:16 PM
No LeBron and bad matchups. I havenít watched a game. Letís get the best teams in and do away with the conferences. Or, make the 1st round 5 games.

Letís be honest, as always, there are some really ďblahĒ series right now.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2019, 02:17 PM
It's a foregone conclusion GS wins it all, and no LeBron

simple

Hawkeye15
04-19-2019, 02:18 PM
No LeBron and bad matchups. I havenít watched a game. Letís get the best teams in and do away with the conferences. Or, make the 1st round 5 games.

Letís be honest, as always, there are some really ďblahĒ series right now.

yeah dude, 1st round always has duds. The entire 2000's, the 1 vs 8 seed out east was a laugher typically. Same with the west in the 80s.

ewing
04-19-2019, 03:10 PM
The league biggest stars are a bunch of insufferable dicks that are never happy

WaDe03
04-19-2019, 04:09 PM
You all are going to stop disrespecting Wade.

KG2TB
04-19-2019, 04:25 PM
yeah dude, 1st round always has duds. The entire 2000's, the 1 vs 8 seed out east was a laugher typically. Same with the west in the 80s.

The early-mid 2000s were absolutely brutal. Even the conference finals most years.

I also donít think GS is a shoe in this year. Wouldnít be surprised if they didnít win it all.

beasted86
04-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Out East you have Detroit and Indiana without their best players. You have Orlando who should have never got in. Vucevic is a ghost.
Nets and Sixers only got interesting because they lost at home. Otherwise the East is totally boring without LeBron.

West has some interesting matchups but it is basically a lock that Jazz and Clippers weren't winning the series.

Redrum187
04-19-2019, 05:23 PM
It's obvious that when Dirk announced his retirement, approximately 26% of NBA fans killed themselves. No other logical reason can be deduced.

Heediot
04-19-2019, 05:30 PM
I guarantee you if you take a survey of who's going to win it all (fans both fairweather, fake, hardcore and even non fans) 90 percent plus will say GS. I think that's the biggest reason. But all the other comments are valid and probably add to the fact. There is no drama in anticipating a pretty clear cut champion.

Me personally, I`m with KG, it`s not a super lock and still think there`s a punchers chance of somebody taking them out like last year when it almost happened.

Redrum187
04-19-2019, 05:54 PM
I guarantee you if you take a survey of who's going to win it all (fans both fairweather, fake, hardcore and even non fans) 90 percent plus will say GS. I think that's the biggest reason. But all the other comments are valid and probably add to the fact. There is no drama in anticipating a pretty clear cut champion.

Me personally, I`m with KG, it`s not a super lock and still think there`s a punchers chance of somebody taking them out like last year when it almost happened.

I agree. I just hope the Warriors realize that since everyone expects them to win, they really have everything to lose. Teams can play with house money in a way...

SfgiantsJD3
04-19-2019, 06:08 PM
https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/19/nba-playoffs-ratings-26-percent-decline/

what is the reason for such a huge decline??....
lebron not in playoffs?
people sick of no defense being played?
sick of superteams?
other?

Tiger winning the masters, GOT.Warriors game UP
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/04/nba-playoff-ratings-opening-weekend-decline/

"The NBA may want to reconsider starting its postseason on the same weekend as the Masters.

Ratings and viewership declined double-digits for all-but-one NBA playoff window over the weekend. The exception was Saturdayís Clippers-Warriors Game 1, which had a 3.0 and 4.83 million on ABC in primetime ó up 7% in ratings and 13% in viewership from ABCís opener last postseason (Spurs-Warriors: 2.8, 4.28M) and up 20% in both measures from its 2017 opener (Pacers-Cavaliers: 2.5, 4.04M). Those games aired in the afternoon.

Versus the same window last year, Heat-Sixers on ESPN, ratings and viewership both increased 20% (from 2.5 and 4.02M).

Golden Stateís win was the most-watched game on the opening day of the postseason in 16 years ó since Sonics-Spurs on NBC in 2002 (4.95M). Keep in mind it was the first opening round game on primetime broadcast television in recent memory, if not ever."

TakeYourL
04-19-2019, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't make much of it right now, but if trend continues into the second round than NBA should be worried.

The NBA's product has been going down hill a bunch of different ways for awhile, and it may starting to catch up to them.

I've said it for awhile, between the cap system, the tanking, and the revanue sharing, the nbas product has become terrible and fans are picking up on it.

And as ewing mentioned, you cant go one day without hearing a NBA player crying or complaining about something. All these NBA stars think they are victims somehow.

GREATNESS ONE
04-19-2019, 08:25 PM
:)

Cal827
04-19-2019, 08:37 PM
I think it's predictability (or the expectation) of many that when the Warriors turn their game on, they'll kill everyone along with Lebron not being in the playoffs. But mainly the first one.. People aren't really looking at it as who will be the team to slay the beast; instead, they're looking at it as, okay after this year the beast will likely die off and then it'll be more interesting.

Vee-Rex
04-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Easy. Golden State superteam.

NBA tv ratings have been down all year.

The impact was never gonna be felt the year it happened or the year after.

While the smart ones (us) could easily predict the impact, the game still had to be played for the casuals. They were fascinated by watching an Olympic team. Then the following year was whether or not (Houston) a team would beat them.

Now it's just boring. The fandom in all of us (exception being GS fans) causes us to get excited when a team threatens GS but it's just a blip on the radar. They're vastly more talented than any other team in the NBA. They SHOULD win it all.

NBA tv ratings will climb back up when KD leaves.

goingfor28
04-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Warriors super team and talent makes the season too predictable.Bingo

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nicnac
04-19-2019, 11:24 PM
Really!?! No one sees this?!?! THE GAME IS UGLY! To much focus on 3 pt shooting. MOST teams are terrible at it game to game. It disrupts the flow, with too much running up and down the court with missed shots, passing up layups for a guy STANDING in the corner, too few assists. Actually i bet most people WANT to watch GS . They can actually shoot 3s and they pass the ball

People that don't see this are either fans within the last 15 to 20 years or lovers of video games, or both, I would believe. no offense, but this bb is really a terrible product

Yes the stars keep it interesting, but it would be interesting to see the trend for past 5 years. The lebron v GS factor I believes skews data

Lakers + Giants
04-19-2019, 11:35 PM
No Wade or LeBron, foregone conclusion until KD and Klay leave this summer.

Nice inclusion of Wade, nobody cares about him lmao.

Lakers + Giants
04-19-2019, 11:36 PM
It's a foregone conclusion GS wins it all, and no LeBron

simple

This is the correct answer, Wade03 would've been right if he took off his homer goggles.

Vee-Rex
04-20-2019, 12:56 AM
This is the correct answer, Wade03 would've been right if he took off his homer goggles.

The NBA wil never be the same without Wade.

GREATNESS ONE
04-20-2019, 01:35 AM
Really!?! No one sees this?!?! THE GAME IS UGLY! To much focus on 3 pt shooting. MOST teams are terrible at it game to game. It disrupts the flow, with too much running up and down the court with missed shots, passing up layups for a guy STANDING in the corner, too few assists. Actually i bet most people WANT to watch GS . They can actually shoot 3s and they pass the ball

People that don't see this are either fans within the last 15 to 20 years or lovers of video games, or both, I would believe. no offense, but this bb is really a terrible product

Yes the stars keep it interesting, but it would be interesting to see the trend for past 5 years. The lebron v GS factor I believes skews data

:laugh2: please post more!!! Great stuff!

GREATNESS ONE
04-20-2019, 01:38 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Houston has a legit shot at beating GS this year? :shrug:

Ratings will Sky rocket after that..

LakerClipperFan
04-20-2019, 02:30 AM
Hope you are right, if CAPELA can capitalize on the weaknesses and Harden can be Harden, and Chris stays healthy, yeah it's going to happen. Need to play some badass defense though

Am I the only one who thinks Houston has a legit shot at beating GS this year? :shrug:

Lakers + Giants
04-20-2019, 03:45 AM

Who?!

More-Than-Most
04-20-2019, 04:33 AM

I have become pro harden but he like curry cant be trusted when it matters most.... curry has Klay/Green/best player in the world durant to ask someone to carry the load where is harden basically has cp3.... the warriors hurt the league big time... We need this to happen this off season

Durant-Knicks
KL-Clippers
Kyrie-Lakers
Middleton-Raptors
Kemba-Knicks
Zion -Cavs or Bulls

Balance out the league.

hidalgo
04-20-2019, 07:55 AM
The league biggest stars are a bunch of insufferable dicks that are never happyagreed

hidalgo
04-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Yes the stars keep it interesting, but it would be interesting to see the trend for past 5 years. The lebron v GS factor I believes skews datathey really need to bring the old rules back. no zone, and hand checking

IndyRealist
04-20-2019, 08:46 AM
There is nothing interesting happening aside from the Spurs. Milwaukee looks dominant and no one in the West looks like they can take down Golden State.

Part of the decline is Lebron. But I suspect the majority of it is cord cutters. Regular season viewership remained relatively high due to League Pass. Now that the games are on TV no one cares enough to watch them.

tredigs
04-20-2019, 08:54 AM
HD streams growing in popularity is the low key reason for some of this. There are also bad 1st round matchups. Things heat up significantly in round 2, and ratings will bolster accordingly. The Warriors games have been the top rated each night fyi.

Nunuu
04-20-2019, 10:30 AM
I have become pro harden but he like curry cant be trusted when it matters most.... curry has Klay/Green/best player in the world durant to ask someone to carry the load where is harden basically has cp3.... the warriors hurt the league big time... We need this to happen this off season

Durant-Knicks
KL-Clippers
Kyrie-Lakers
Middleton-Raptors
Kemba-Knicks
Zion -Cavs or Bulls

Balance out the league.

Do people really think durant is the best player in the world? I dont think he is, lets see how he fares back on a normal team, not like this guy dragged his team to finals appearances or anything.

Scoots
04-20-2019, 11:43 AM
You all are going to stop disrespecting Wade.

He's done and irrelevant now. You are going to have to let it go, you are the one keeping the disrespect alive.

Scoots
04-20-2019, 11:44 AM
HD streams growing in popularity is the low key reason for some of this. There are also bad 1st round matchups. Things heat up significantly in round 2, and ratings will bolster accordingly. The Warriors games have been the top rated each night fyi.

This.

Also short attention span has people watching the 12 minute youtube summary of the games instead of watching the whole game. Those summary videos are almost entirely offense, so even less appreciation of defense in "modern" fans.

Chronz
04-20-2019, 12:01 PM
It's the first round and the game is too soft today, even for my standards

tucksoe
04-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Bingo. A huge amount of my friends all stream games on Kodi or something similar. There's a ton of people out there not being counted.

aman_13
04-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Streaming is taking over and the first round match ups have not been that interesting.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

aman_13
04-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Think about all the Canadian viewers that watch and they don't count any of them. There is no Neilson rating in Canada and i imagine they have a similar issue with some other places around the globe.

WaDe03
04-20-2019, 01:07 PM

Great post VR!

WaDe03
04-20-2019, 01:08 PM
He's done and irrelevant now. You are going to have to let it go, you are the one keeping the disrespect alive.

Demote yourself, you are not fit to be a mod with the amount of trolling you do brother.

GREATNESS ONE
04-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Demote yourself, you are not fit to be a mod with the amount of trolling you do brother.

give it up man, he's done son.

Scoots
04-20-2019, 02:15 PM

No troll. Fact. Wade is done. He knows it. He's accepted it. You will too eventually.

zn23
04-20-2019, 03:39 PM
LeBron's absence definitely has a lot to do with it. The reason for this is because LeBron is chasing history. People want to see if he can surpass Michael. It's the same reason people watch golf and Tiger, they want to see if he can make history as surpass Jack.

Super Teams have less to do with it.

WaDe03
04-20-2019, 04:09 PM
No troll. Fact. Wade is done. He knows it. He's accepted it. You will too eventually.

Youíre done.

Scoots
04-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Youíre done.

Do you think Wade is coming back?

aman_13
04-20-2019, 07:55 PM
LeBron's absence definitely has a lot to do with it. The reason for this is because LeBron is chasing history. People want to see if he can surpass Michael. It's the same reason people watch golf and Tiger, they want to see if he can make history as surpass Jack.

Super Teams have less to do with it.Yeah this another good reason.

Giannis94
04-20-2019, 10:04 PM
I think the nba needs to be worried about mlb and nfl taking their turf.

flea
04-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Surprised it's not down even more, and 26% is a lot. Watered down product, lame stars that act like reality TV personalities, foregone conclusions, blah blah. First one I flipped on was that game 4 Celtics earlier out of boredom, mercifully some no-name golf tourny came on and I was saved.

Linor
04-23-2019, 10:28 AM
Giannis94 Yep good point agree with you.

tredigs
04-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Warriors Clips on Sunday drew the highest 1st round rating of the last 3 years, but overall there are just not many good first round matchups, and none are going the distance. OKC/Portland would have started drawing big ratings had OKC split in Portland or took both at home, but this one's likely to end in 5.

No Lebron hurts, but in the 2nd round this is going to flip. The East has two great matchups with big names, and the West has Warriors/Rockets which will draw huge ratings. Spurs/Blazers will get decent ratings in their later games if they're competitive, but not otherwise.

Overall, not surprised the 1st round is down. No great matchups materialized, no Lebron and still none of some of the biggest markets involved (NY, CHI, DAL, Lakers, etc). But the competition and young stars of round 2 should steer it back.