PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 PGs in the league?

WaDe03
04-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Whoís your top 5?

1. Curry
2. Dame
3. Westbrook/Kyrie
4. Westbrook/Kyrie
5. CP3

Iím having a hard time deciding between Kyrie and Westbrook. Westbrook is a stat stuffer while Kyrie is a winner and big game player/clutch player.

cmellofan15
04-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Cp3 is better than Westbrook when he's on the court

WaDe03
04-17-2019, 11:10 PM
Cp3 is better than Westbrook when he's on the court

No argument from me. Iím really having a hard time ranking Westbrook right now.

Bostonjorge
04-18-2019, 02:51 AM
You say Kyrie is a big game winner and clutch player? How is that not #1? Letís rank Westbrook after game 4 is played. We will know more about Westbrook then.

More-Than-Most
04-18-2019, 03:13 AM
Holiday should be a top 5 PG... Hell id take him over westy at this point... Id have it

Curry

Dame

Holiday/CP3/Irving.

You can mix and match kyrie/holiday and cp3 anyway youd like.

Holidays defense makes up for the shooting gap that kyrie has over him. I have no issues if people go

Curry
Dame
Kyrie
Cp3
Jrue

but Jrue is def underrated and deserves to be top 5.

ewing
04-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Gotta John Wall right guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Gotta John Wall right guys?

Heís fallen off, he has to prove himself again next year.

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 08:34 AM
You say Kyrie is a big game winner and clutch player? How is that not #1? Letís rank Westbrook after game 4 is played. We will know more about Westbrook then.

Because Curry and Dame are clearly better.

ewing
04-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Heís fallen off, he has to prove himself again next year.

I was joking. We had the same thread like two years ago and I got trashed for saying Wall didnít belong

Curry
Harden (if you have the ball 90% of the time your a PG)
Kyrie
Lillard
Westy

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 09:02 AM

What about Lowry?

basch152
04-18-2019, 10:37 AM
I feel like Kemba doesn't get enough respect

ewing
04-18-2019, 10:40 AM
I feel like Kemba doesn't get enough respect

He's definitely better then Holiday who is better suited at the 2

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Forgot Kemba, just donít know if I can put him over any of those 5.

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 11:27 AM

My new favorite player making Westbrook his ***** ever since Westbrook said heís been busting his *** for years.

Chronz
04-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Lillards having his breakout party in the loffs, I feel like quite a few stars are finally exercising their playoff demons.

All year tho, I've felt something off with rwb. These playoffs may confirm the fact that he's done as a superstar. He's prolly still a superior regular season player to some guys but I got a feeling cp3 is stil a playoff asset. To me that matters more but man, rwb used to punk cp3 and dame

Chronz
04-18-2019, 12:33 PM
He's definitely better then Holiday who is better suited at the 2
The fact that he can play both is an asset tho and he's still got the ability to check 1s at an elite level

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Lillards having his breakout party in the loffs, I feel like quite a few stars are finally exercising their playoff demons.

All year tho, I've felt something off with rwb. These playoffs may confirm the fact that he's done as a superstar. He's prolly still a superior regular season player to some guys but I got a feeling cp3 is stil a playoff asset. To me that matters more but man, rwb used to punk cp3 and dame

Think itís a mix of everyone seeing through the empty numbers and Dame improving after a disappointing end to last season. The new ďLogo LillardĒ is not ****ing around.

Chronz
04-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Think itís a mix of everyone seeing through the empty numbers and Dame improving after a disappointing end to last season. The new ďLogo LillardĒ is not ****ing around.
Nah, I never gave a **** about arbitrary bench marks, his actual statistical value has declined for the 2nd straight year. I highly doubt he looks this bad if he were 2 years younger

tredigs
04-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Nah, I never gave a **** about arbitrary bench marks, his actual statistical value has declined for the 2nd straight year. I highly doubt he looks this bad if he were 2 years younger

The only floor spacer around him that gets respect from the D is PG. That's a major issue for Westbrook in his attempts to penetrate a clogged paint. His shot has also oddly got worse even beyond that. How his FT numbers plummeted thus much is a mystery to me.

I'd go:

Curry
Harden (If he's a point)
Lillard
Kyrie
Westbrook (he gets the benefit of the doubt over the rest)

ewing
04-18-2019, 02:37 PM
The fact that he can play both is an asset tho and he's still got the ability to check 1s at an elite level

Sure but he is better suited at the 2. The Pelican were a better team with Rondo or Payton at the point and Jrue at the 2. That say something.

Hawkeye15
04-18-2019, 03:32 PM

I admit I haven't watched jack this year, but it is because RWB's athleticism is declining? It is clear as day that the moment his unmatched burst started to shift towards just "really good", his play would fall off a table. Seriously, what else has he ever had, outside that insane burst and energy level?

Chronz
04-18-2019, 03:50 PM
Sure but he is better suited at the 2. The Pelican were a better team with Rondo or Payton at the point and Jrue at the 2. That say something.

It says they have no wings and hes the only one who can do the job. Like he would be totally fine playing alongside Klay and Iggy for example, he'd be a better PG than both Payton and Rondo, but those guys would be an absolute disaster as off-guards checking bigger guys (Rondo mostly).

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 03:51 PM
I admit I haven't watched jack this year, but it is because RWB's athleticism is declining? It is clear as day that the moment his unmatched burst started to shift towards just "really good", his play would fall off a table. Seriously, what else has he ever had, outside that insane burst and energy level?

Rebounds his bigs let him steal to inflate his stats.

WhiteShadow42
04-18-2019, 03:57 PM
I know that Harden is not listed as a point guard but he handles the ball more than CP3. He basically plays the position on his team. Especially when CP3 was out. Should we consider him a point guard at this point? If so then he would get my #1 even though I can't stand him.

Chronz
04-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Undoubtedly has, I havent seen much but just from prior experiences with guys who suddenly lose FT accuracy and were athletic freaks in their 20's it adds up. I still listen to podcasts constantly and they corroborate. Bill Simmons has this rewatchables thing and they re-viewed the Klay game in their series vs OKC. Now I didn't catch that one but they referenced it in other shows. Mentioned how jarring it was to see several of these guys even a few years ago, that RWB was almost too athletic, they also mentioned Adams and tbh, watching these first 2 games against Portland, I do wonder why hes not doing what both LAC and NOP have done to Dame, making anyone else beat them.

Chronz
04-18-2019, 04:07 PM
I know that Harden is not listed as a point guard but he handles the ball more than CP3. He basically plays the position on his team. Especially when CP3 was out. Should we consider him a point guard at this point? If so then he would get my #1 even though I can't stand him.

Is CP3 a SG maybe a dual thing but then do you consider Eric Gordon a SF? Is Harden a point forward in todays smaller game? Maybe traditional positions cant help us define todays game.

Under todays positional charts (guards, swings, bigs) Harden can slide between the 1 and swing (though never on a primary option on the perimeter), most of the players we consider PG's in the traditional sense are small guards, typically matched up naturally. Dude led the league in scoring by a wide margin, I guess we can call those guys point guards.

WaDe03
04-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Just go with Harden as SG, we donít list Lebron as a PG.

Chronz
04-18-2019, 04:13 PM
The only floor spacer around him that gets respect from the D is PG. That's a major issue for Westbrook in his attempts to penetrate a clogged paint. His shot has also oddly got worse even beyond that. How his FT numbers plummeted thus much is a mystery to me.

I'd go:

Curry
Harden (If he's a point)
Lillard
Kyrie
Westbrook (he gets the benefit of the doubt over the rest)
On the flip side, he doesn't help in any regard with spacing, cutting off the ball. And I think even his post game has declined so he cant even open passing lanes with that.

I just think hes at the point where it becomes a question if you wouldn't rather have a more supporting 2-way guy to play second fiddle. Jrue might surpass him by next year

Hawkeye15
04-18-2019, 04:47 PM
On the flip side, he doesn't help in any regard with spacing, cutting off the ball. And I think even his post game has declined so he cant even open passing lanes with that.

I just think hes at the point where it becomes a question if you wouldn't rather have a more supporting 2-way guy to play second fiddle. Jrue might surpass him by next year

Oh dude, RWB will be a terrible contract soon enough. Like I said, his game falls off a cliff when his athleticism doesn't tower over his peers. And as you alluded to, its already started. Wall is the same.

Jamiecballer
04-18-2019, 05:19 PM

What about Lowry?Not taking the bait [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

ewing
04-18-2019, 05:38 PM
It says they have no wings and hes the only one who can do the job. Like he would be totally fine playing alongside Klay and Iggy for example, he'd be a better PG than both Payton and Rondo, but those guys would be an absolute disaster as off-guards checking bigger guys (Rondo mostly).

It says he is poor play maker and doesn't create for others. Those guys don't handle the ball much either and he would be the same as he is now with them. He is a good player that should not be your sole primary ball handler. On a top PG list I think that significant

Tg11
04-18-2019, 07:39 PM
Curry
Lillard
Westbrook
Kyrie
Kemba or John Wall when fully healthy

valade16
04-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Crazy how much Lillard's stock has changed from this time last year coming off the sweep to the Pelicans. I'd have been crucified for saying Lillard was the 2nd best PG last year.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Crazy how much Lillard's stock has changed from this time last year coming off the sweep to the Pelicans. I'd have been crucified for saying Lillard was the 2nd best PG last year.

For some reason, while he and irving have always been considered on the same level, I would take Lillard all day, every day over Irving.

Heediot
04-19-2019, 12:31 PM
For some reason, while he and irving have always been considered on the same level, I would take Lillard all day, every day over Irving.

Lillard has been easily recognized as the better regular season pg. I think you over-rate how people rate Kyrie especially in the regular season.

Kyrie is regarded by some as a top 5 PG because of his playoff game, not because of his regular season play/game and or his playmaking.

valade16
04-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Lillard has been easily recognized as the better regular season pg. I think you over-rate how people rate Kyrie especially in the regular season.

Kyrie is regarded by some as a top 5 PG because of his playoff game, not because of his regular season play/game and or his playmaking.

Well the way I look at it is I think Lillard could have done what Kyrie did next to LeBron, but I doubt Kyrie could lead a team like Lillard is doing in Portland.

Heediot
04-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Well the way I look at it is I think Lillard could have done what Kyrie did next to LeBron, but I doubt Kyrie could lead a team like Lillard is doing in Portland.

I'm not so sure or certain about that. Kyrie ability to create his own space and looks is elite vs. tight defenses. I don't think Kyrie's the type to build around, and Lillard would be better for that. As a robin though I think Kyrie is one of the best outside of KD.

I think guys like Kyrie, Melo, AD, KD lack the vision and natural play making instincts in the nba to be ideal number 1's. There instinct and wiring from their development is to break down their man vs. survey the floor. Some guys have a combo of both, and some guys like Rubio, Ball and Rondo lean toward court vision. I think KD can be a lead guy with a play making number 2. Not really RWB as I think racking assists in the modern league of jacking 3's isn't too hard. I don't think he is a natural instinctive/feel PG type which KD needs more.

The reason above is why Kyrie is flawed, so go along with supect D in the regular season.

I like Lillards overall game better and to build around better. I like Kyrie better in the playoffs due to his ability to create space/shot. The shorter and less physical you are, the more you have to rely on your pure skills in the playoffs. Guys like Bron and Kawhi excel in the playoffs because they can play through the physical defense. A guy like Kyrie does well because his game doesn't really get effected too much by playoff defense IMO. You can argue it might be easier to game plan vs. RWB then Kyrie in the playoffs.

RWB penetration game is better to build around in the regular season vs. Kyrie though.

WaDe03
04-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Iím pulling for you all to win it all like Barkleyís fat ***. Lillard is my favorite player now that Wade is gone.

TheDish87
04-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Irving is a winner?

ewing
04-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Irving is a winner?

Yes

Vee-Rex
04-19-2019, 10:25 PM
Irving being rated a top 5 pg on PSD?

Never thought I'd see the day.

WhiteShadow42
04-19-2019, 10:29 PM
Is CP3 a SG maybe a dual thing but then do you consider Eric Gordon a SF? Is Harden a point forward in todays smaller game? Maybe traditional positions cant help us define todays game.

Under todays positional charts (guards, swings, bigs) Harden can slide between the 1 and swing (though never on a primary option on the perimeter), most of the players we consider PG's in the traditional sense are small guards, typically matched up naturally. Dude led the league in scoring by a wide margin, I guess we can call those guys point guards.

Yep 20 yrs ago it would be a much easier debate. But what Harden is doing now is insane. If we are picking pure point guards, Iíll pick CP3.

buckalis
04-22-2019, 11:46 AM
It really depends on the rest of the roster... If a team has Giannis or Lebron in their roster who both do most of the playmaking themselves, then PGs like Bledsoe and Kemba who are excellent defenders fit better around them than a PG who dominates the ball.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Irving being rated a top 5 pg on PSD?

Never thought I'd see the day.

league is starting to run low on great PGs haha

Rivera
04-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Curry
Lillard
Kyrie
CP3
Kemba

Russ is falling off a little more each season for me

buckalis
04-22-2019, 12:42 PM
It really depends on the rest of the roster... If a team has Giannis or Lebron in their roster who both do most of the playmaking themselves, then PGs like Bledsoe and Kemba who are excellent defenders fit better around them than a PG who dominates the ball.

league is starting to run low on great PGs haha

This is because of what I say above... Modern top players like Lebron, Giannis and Doncic do most of the playmaking themselves and therefore capable but dominating the ball PGs can be negative when playing next to them... It surprised many when Dallas traded DS jr this past trade deadline, but it was a fully justifiable move with Doncic being the star to built around.

Rivera
04-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Irving is a winner?

Troll

Hawkeye15
04-22-2019, 01:55 PM
This is because of what I say above... Modern top players like Lebron, Giannis and Doncic do most of the playmaking themselves and therefore capable but dominating the ball PGs can be negative when playing next to them... It surprised many when Dallas traded DS jr this past trade deadline, but it was a fully justifiable move with Doncic being the star to built around.

it's because of rule changes. Today, since you can't breath on perimeter guys, it's easiest with the 24 second shot clock to just get the ball to your best scorer/playmaker immediately. 20 years ago, they would have taken too much of a beating doing that, so they had a traditional PG whose job was to get the ball up the floor and initiate. No reason for that anymore...

as good as LeBron, Giannis, Harden, etc, are dribbling the ball, if you actually allowed physical contact and grabbing, those guys would turn the ball over all the time. No longer are smaller, tighter ball handlers even needed.

Lakers + Giants
04-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Curry
Lillard
Kyrie
CP3
Simmons

Honorable mention: Fox

**** Westbrook tho

buckalis
04-22-2019, 02:24 PM
it's because of rule changes. Today, since you can't breath on perimeter guys, it's easiest with the 24 second shot clock to just get the ball to your best scorer/playmaker immediately. 20 years ago, they would have taken too much of a beating doing that, so they had a traditional PG whose job was to get the ball up the floor and initiate. No reason for that anymore...

as good as LeBron, Giannis, Harden, etc, are dribbling the ball, if you actually allowed physical contact and grabbing, those guys would turn the ball over all the time. No longer are smaller, tighter ball handlers even needed.

I guess the first team that taught modern positionless basketball while the rest were stuck with traditional approaches, was the Bulls & Scottie...

Chronz
04-22-2019, 02:31 PM
It says he is poor play maker and doesn't create for others. Those guys don't handle the ball much either and he would be the same as he is now with them. He is a good player that should not be your sole primary ball handler. On a top PG list I think that significant

Hes a better playmaker than the guys taking his spot, prove otherwise. The reality is that they couldn't do what he could off the ball and it makes sense to make use of their limited skillsets and take advantage of Jrue's versatility.

Hes a very good player who can thrive with or without the ball, every top PG has similar qualities they just didn't play withother PG's

Hawkeye15
04-22-2019, 02:35 PM
I guess the first team that taught modern positionless basketball while the rest were stuck with traditional approaches, was the Bulls & Scottie...

nope. They still had someone else bring the ball up the floor, and deal with the grind.

buckalis
04-22-2019, 02:47 PM
But you'll have to have a guy like that anyway won't you?... The Bucks have Bledsoe don't they? It just has to be a non ball dominant guy like Kyrie or Steph are...

Hawkeye15
04-22-2019, 02:52 PM
But you'll have to have a guy like that anyway won't you?... The Bucks have Bledsoe don't they? It just has to be a non ball dominant guy like Kyrie or Steph are...

oh I mean as a PG. Teams now just give the ball to their best perimeter playmaker/scorer, so he basically is a PG by definition. I only mean, what we perceive as a PG has completely changed. A guy like Rubio was the typical years ago. But today, he could never be elite because he can't score a lick. Where as a Westbrook, in 1994, would have played off the ball, ie, he would have been considered a SG.

Scoots
04-22-2019, 05:43 PM

How dare you disrespect the 80s Bucks teams. Paul Pressey at SF leading the team in assists with Cummings and Sikma playing the hi-lo post and moving the ball with Lucas and Moncrief.

Sheesh, kids today have no respect for history.

ewing
04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Hes a better playmaker than the guys taking his spot, prove otherwise. The reality is that they couldn't do what he could off the ball and it makes sense to make use of their limited skillsets and take advantage of Jrue's versatility.

Hes a very good player who can thrive with or without the ball, every top PG has similar qualities they just didn't play withother PG's

Heís not a better play maker then Kemba, or Wall, or Westbrick, these are cold hard facts. Check the DNA itís true. Heís a better two than a one. Facts

LakerClipperFan
04-22-2019, 06:31 PM
SGA before Westbrook, or on equal footing.

CP3
Kyrie
Harden
Curry
#LABron (though not technically his position), could also put Lillard here

Miolik
04-23-2019, 10:18 AM
1. Curry
2. Dame
3. CP3
4. Jrue
5. Westy

Bostonjorge
04-24-2019, 01:01 AM
Lillard #1

Alayla
04-24-2019, 03:10 AM
1. Curry (granted he's more of a 2 imo)
2. Jrue Holiday
3. Russell Westbrook (Though this year he's shown signs of age slowing him down)
4. Ben Simmons
5. Chris Paul (likely not for much longer as Lillard is doing well for himself and cp3 is aging rapidly.)

basch152
04-24-2019, 09:22 AM
1. Curry (granted he's more of a 2 imo)
2. Jrue Holiday
3. Russell Westbrook (Though this year he's shown signs of age slowing him down)
4. Ben Simmons
5. Chris Paul (likely not for much longer as Lillard is doing well for himself and cp3 is aging rapidly.)

wow...what an awful list

smith&wesson
04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
Curry
Lillard
Irving

Everyone else: Walker, Paul, Conley, Holiday, Simmons, Lowry.

WB doesnít make my list if he canít get out of the 1st round with Paul Friggen George...

smith&wesson
04-24-2019, 11:07 AM
I was joking. We had the same thread like two years ago and I got trashed for saying Wall didnít belong

Curry
Harden (if you have the ball 90% of the time your a PG)
Kyrie
Lillard
Westy

Harden was listed as a pg/sg before Paul got there. Now heís listed as a sg.

1. Itís hard to go by position in the nba today.
2. I have Harden as the best sg in the league (by far) and so I think you gotta leave him in that category even though we know he can play both.

smith&wesson
04-24-2019, 11:15 AM

Thatís why I say itís hard to go by position in todayís nba. There are combo gaurds who can play the 1&2. There are point forwards who can play the 1&3. There are tweeners who play the 3&4 or 4&5. And then thereís the Giannis and Lebron guys who can play all 5 positions.

Defining positions are a thing of the past.

Lowry who is 2nd in assists this season and is also listed at 6í1 plays a lot of sg with an even smaller pg in FVV. That would be unheard of 8 years ago. Itís really tough to categorize these players by position now.

smith&wesson
04-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Iím pulling for you all to win it all like Barkleyís fat ***. Lillard is my favorite player now that Wade is gone.

I like Lillard a lot too and I hope that the blazers can get him some more help.

GREATNESS ONE
04-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Dame is the best.

smith&wesson
04-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Dame is the best.

Steph and then Dame

WaDe03
04-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Can an arguement be made for Lillard over Curry this season?

GREATNESS ONE
04-24-2019, 12:03 PM

Thatís where Iím getting at, I think Dame took the mantle for this season... heís so ****ing good..Curry still great though not trying to take anything away from him.

smith&wesson
04-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Itís difficult to gage because curry has so many mouths to feed and share the ball with. Lillard has to put the whole team on his back they are in such different situations. Thatís why I say I hope the blazers can get Lillard more help. CJ is good but not nearly enough.

Hawkeye15
04-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Itís difficult to gage because curry has so many mouths to feed and share the ball with. Lillard has to put the whole team on his back they are in such different situations. Thatís why I say I hope the blazers can get Lillard more help. CJ is good but not nearly enough.

This, plus add to it, Dame has been a playoff struggler much of the time until this year, where as Curry has not. I think people rush to put a new guy above a proven guy too quickly in sports. Curry, if needed, would be tossing in 33 a night right now too.

WaDe03
04-24-2019, 02:33 PM
This, plus add to it, Dame has been a playoff struggler much of the time until this year, where as Curry has not. I think people rush to put a new guy above a proven guy too quickly in sports. Curry, if needed, would be tossing in 33 a night right now too.

I agree with all of this

Hawkeye15
04-24-2019, 02:56 PM
I agree with all of this

it is sweet to see Dame shake those playoff demons so far though...

WaDe03
04-24-2019, 03:49 PM
it is sweet to see Dame shake those playoff demons so far though...

Yea I hope he keeps it up and wins it all lol! WCF is definitely realistic though if he keeps this up.

Jamiecballer
04-24-2019, 04:22 PM
Hey Ewing remember when we said the biggest difference between steph and Lillard was circumstances

ewing
04-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Hey Ewing remember when we said the biggest difference between steph and Lillard was circumstances

No. i have been saying that for years though. Often just to piss trigs off but I think there is truth in it

valade16
04-24-2019, 04:59 PM
No. i have been saying that for years though. Often just to piss trigs off but I think there is truth in it

I've always said Lillard was just a slightly lesser version of Curry.

But now I think the primary difference between them aside from the fact Curry is more talented is that Lillard has that Kobe/MJ level of kill you that Curry doesn't really have. Curry is competitive, I'm not saying he doesn't have swagger, but Lillard's is in the pantheon of the most cutthroat players in the game's history.

Allphakenny1
04-25-2019, 12:10 AM
I've always said Lillard was just a slightly lesser version of Curry.

But now I think the primary difference between them aside from the fact Curry is more talented is that Lillard has that Kobe/MJ level of kill you that Curry doesn't really have. Curry is competitive, I'm not saying he doesn't have swagger, but Lillard's is in the pantheon of the most cutthroat players in the game's history.

I absolutely agree. Lillard is just a step behind Curry because he has a killer instinct that Curry is lacking. If Curry had that same instinct and did not let up, he would be chasing Magic for best pg all time. He is talented enough and impactful enough to top Magic, but his killer instinct is just too inconsistent to take that mantle.

Bostonjorge
04-25-2019, 01:10 AM
Lou Williams needs a honarble mention