PDA

View Full Version : When Should the OKC Thunder Pull the Trigger on Sam Presti?

LaVar Ball
04-14-2019, 07:12 PM
As much as he's lauded for being such a great GM, I feel he's made more blunders than anything.

You gave up James Harden for a measley $4M (not 4 million per, but 4 million for the entire contract) for a solemnly used Jeremy Lamb.

What couldve been a Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Ibaka dynasty ended up as crap. Harden gone, Durant bolts.

Nick Collison was dead weight for them these last 4 years

Replaced Sefolosha with an injury prone Andre Roberson.

Seemed like a carousel of point guards to put next to Westbrook: traded drafts rights of Eric Bledsoe to Clippers for Eric Maynor, moved on from that to Oladipo, and then to Schroder

No shooters to surround Westbrook and Paul George

Heediot
04-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Realistically how many gms are clearly better vs. him?

Meyers, Buford, Masai, Morey, Maybe Riley? He is till top 10 at worse, could OKC find a guy that's better. Tread with caution on the young gms too. Hinkie, Hennigan, Suns GM all washed out.

cmellofan15
04-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Never?

Scoots
04-14-2019, 10:48 PM
I don't know that there's any reason to think anyone could have done better.

lakerfan85
04-14-2019, 11:29 PM
He gave Perkins a 4 year 36 million dollar contract.. Lol!!

ChongInc.
04-15-2019, 09:25 PM
I think okc ownership is to blame.

I think it's hilarious though that they couldn't afford the best big 3 this league would have ever seen, then they realise they need a big 3 to win and all of a sudden have the money for an average (failed) big 3 in melo, West and George.

If the money was there....
Durant would not have left if harden stayed imo.

Scoots
04-15-2019, 11:11 PM
I think okc ownership is to blame.

I think it's hilarious though that they couldn't afford the best big 3 this league would have ever seen, then they realise they need a big 3 to win and all of a sudden have the money for an average (failed) big 3 in melo, West and George.

If the money was there....
Durant would not have left if harden stayed imo.

KD has made some backhanded comments that makes it sound like he didn't want to play with Russ any more. Not sure how another ball hungry guard on the team would make it better.

basketfan4life
04-19-2019, 03:11 AM
I don't know how is Presti respected this much. The guy had 2 all timers on his team and let both of them go.

He picked stat padder wanna be superstar in RWB over Harden. And that Perkins contract?

Come on now.

TrueFan420
04-19-2019, 01:01 PM
He gave Perkins a 4 year 36 million dollar contract.. Lol!!

While I wasn’t a fan of that move at the time you need to keep in mind that the lakers had just won back to back with a massive front court of Pau, Bynum and Odom. They felt they needed to get a center to handle that size.

KG2TB
04-19-2019, 04:28 PM
While I wasn’t a fan of that move at the time you need to keep in mind that the lakers had just won back to back with a massive front court of Pau, Bynum and Odom. They felt they needed to get a center to handle that size.

Didn’t have to pay Perkins though just for size. He was trash at that point.

ChongInc.
04-19-2019, 07:45 PM
If he didn't blow the budget on perkins/collins then he would have had the money to retain the real talent.

I don't see what he did so well at all. I the only really good pick he made was westbrook. The other guys were picked exactly where they were expected. Other than those picks he has done a horrible job imo.

ChongInc.
04-19-2019, 07:46 PM
The guy is not masai. He didn't build a championship caliber team on undrafted guys/2nd rounders and late 1sts.

buckalis
04-22-2019, 06:26 AM
As much as he's lauded for being such a great GM, I feel he's made more blunders than anything.

You gave up James Harden for a measley $4M (not 4 million per, but 4 million for the entire contract) for a solemnly used Jeremy Lamb.

What couldve been a Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Ibaka dynasty ended up as crap. Harden gone, Durant bolts.

Nick Collison was dead weight for them these last 4 years

Replaced Sefolosha with an injury prone Andre Roberson.

Seemed like a carousel of point guards to put next to Westbrook: traded drafts rights of Eric Bledsoe to Clippers for Eric Maynor, moved on from that to Oladipo, and then to Schroder

No shooters to surround Westbrook and Paul George

The failure is obvious... The Thunder have ended up being nothing more than a considerable opponent for the other teams, but nowhere near contending for a championship, although they are locked into the luxury tax for ages... Despite if they change their GM or not, I believe a partial rebuilt that would achieve bringing the team under the lux tax line, would give a financial breather with more future potential than is now possible.

Under the circumstances, I can see a trade happening between the Thunder and the Bucks, which would cause Paul George ending to the Bucks and Khris Middleton replacing him in the Thunder's roster via the almost forgotten sign and trade method this off season.

warfelg
04-22-2019, 07:26 AM
via the almost forgotten sign and trade method this off season.

You need a CBA education if that's your answer.

SiteWolf
04-22-2019, 08:00 AM
it's easy to look back at the Thunder version of Harden vs the current one and think he blew it....at the time, Harden was a backup showing flashes, but also a guy (and this is by far the largest point) that would NEVER have continued to play well with Westbrook...it simply would never have worked

buckalis
04-22-2019, 08:42 AM
You need a CBA education if that's your answer.

The sign and trade method requires the player to be signed on a new contract to approve the destination team... Usually there is a conflict of interests and the players prefer to hit the free agency market.

warfelg
04-22-2019, 08:44 AM
The sign and trade method requires the player to be signed on a new contract to approve the destination team... Usually there is a conflict of interests and the players prefer to hit the free agency market.

Nope. Players would prefer a sign and trade because of the extra year and money tied to resigning with the team that has their rights.

The NBA’s current CBA doesn’t allow a signed player to be traded until Dec 15th IIRC.

buckalis
04-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Nope. Players would prefer a sign and trade because of the extra year and money tied to resigning with the team that has their rights.

If they approve the destination... Which they rarely do.

The NBA’s current CBA doesn’t allow a signed player to be traded until Dec 15th IIRC. This is for players that will be signed on a new contract, nothing to do with the "sign and trade" method which is a process that requires the player's approval and cooperation...

In other words, if a player resigns on a new contract, then the team can trade his contract but not before Dec. the 15th... But if a player agrees on a sign and trade, then his contract values in the trade for his previous salary or for half the new contract's value (whichever is higher) and the trade may proceed right away...