PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Magic Johnson steps down as Lakers President

Cal827
04-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Magic Johnson announced he is stepping down as the Lakersí president of basketball operations.

Per Adam Schefter (sorry I forgot how to add tweets directly here).

:speechless:

I mean his reign hasn't been that good, but I didn't expect him to quit THIS soon.

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 09:04 PM
ahahahahahahahahaha... say it with me people.... MTM you are 100 percent a ****ing god. Called this **** from day one while flash was saying he was the next coming.... this is great for the lakers this moron is gone

:bow:

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 09:07 PM
now just force out pelinka and trade lebron for a **** ton.... magic really ****ed this team

CityofTreez
04-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Lol Magic was doing just fine

IndyRealist
04-09-2019, 09:13 PM
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/09/magic-johnson-steps-down-lakers-president

aman_13
04-09-2019, 09:13 PM
Wow this is interesting.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

warfelg
04-09-2019, 09:14 PM

aman_13
04-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Maybe Magic knows something about FA. It's reported that he was never fully committed. However, for him to step down now is so odd.

PAOboston
04-09-2019, 09:17 PM
Man, no coach or GM is safe when Lebron is on your team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warfelg
04-09-2019, 09:17 PM

He claimed not being able to congratulate Westbrook on his 20-20-20 night hurt him.

warfelg
04-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Yeeesh. He sounds like heís either couching this in not knowing what the job was going to be or heís blaming the NBA for ďmuzzlingĒ him.

aman_13
04-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Lakers coaching staff fully expected to be fired in hours after the final game of the season. They had believed they were gone for months. Now? Magic quits in public, saying he's too scared to tell Jeanie Buss face-to-face. What an embarrassing episode for a historic franchise.

Per Woj

TrueFan420
04-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Damn was hoping heíd stay a few more years and continue to mess everything up for them.

R. Johnson#3
04-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Hahahahahahaha

c.c.
04-09-2019, 09:34 PM
I was shocked when the alert came to my phone.

Iím a bad person, I giggled when he teared up lol

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 09:36 PM
see people are happy the lakers got ****ed... i like an nba where lakers/knicks/bulls are damn good.... this is bad for basketball... lakers tanked for 4 plus years and now probably have to tank all over again... this isnt right. Magic gave away all of their talent and pelinka is literally still there and he is even worse then magic... just get rid of pelinka man and move on PLEASE

warfelg
04-09-2019, 09:36 PM

The Woj bomb is now a WojGatlinGun aimed at Magic.

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 09:38 PM

good... i am so sick of people thinking basketball players because they were great or just played the game deserve these jobs... give me a guy who understands the numbers and follows the sport over a guy who played and thinks he understands the sport because he played.

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 09:39 PM
this is brutal because the lakers should have had west right now.

PropheticGeius
04-09-2019, 09:45 PM
I called this from day one. I even made youtube videos trolling Jeanie for hiring Magic and Rob Lowe.

I'm so profoundly disappointed in my Lakers. Jeanie Buss has absolutely no business running one of the best franchises in sports.

Magic and Rob had no experience. What in god's name was she thinking?

Magic is a coward btw - to jump ship at this time and leave the team is shameful .

I have no idea who would replace Magic - but Rob might as well clean out his desk because no one else would have him as GM

cmellofan15
04-09-2019, 09:55 PM
good... i am so sick of people thinking basketball players because they were great or just played the game deserve these jobs... give me a guy who understands the numbers and follows the sport over a guy who played and thinks he understands the sport because he played.

this is brutal because the lakers should have had west right now.

West was also really good at basketball. Whether they played or not has nothing to do with it.

j-bay
04-09-2019, 09:55 PM
see people are happy the lakers got ****ed... i like an nba where lakers/knicks/bulls are damn good.... this is bad for basketball... lakers tanked for 4 plus years and now probably have to tank all over again... this isnt right. Magic gave away all of their talent and pelinka is literally still there and he is even worse then magic... just get rid of pelinka man and move on PLEASE

No one would have a problem with the Lakers if they built like a regular team. If they made the playoffs through the guys they drafted, no one would hate them. But No! They got to take shortcuts because its Hollywood! We got to get all the Celebs to our game!

Cal827
04-09-2019, 09:56 PM

:laugh2: Why scout when your sense of entitlement will definitely nab you all of the big time free agents?

I think the Davis situation though killed him. Not only did he not get him, he messed with the psyche of the team. And now, their best assets are Ball (who is starting to look more like a bust) Kuzma (Probably their best bet), Ingram (Great, but you think teams will probably be worried about his clotting issues), and the inexplicably traded Zubac when he was playing his best basketball :facepalm:

At least they have Lebron around to keep them in discussion. If they strike out again (the only guy at this point I can see going there would be Irving, and I think Boston could trump any Laker offer for Davis which would probably keep Irving too), then I don't know what this team is going to do.

Burkey3472
04-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Not sure this really changes much. The Lakers are still going to go after big free agents and/or AD, it just wont be Magic leading the way. You donít want him leading the way if he was putting that little effort in anyway.

As for LeBron, he isnít going anywhere. He wanted to go to LA because its LA and he can advance his brand in show business.

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 10:00 PM
Not sure this really changes much. The Lakers are still going to go after big free agents and/or AD, it just wont be Magic leading the way. You donít want him leading the way if he was putting that little effort in anyway.

As for LeBron, he isnít going anywhere. He wanted to go to LA because its LA and he can advance his brand in show business.

he doesnt have a no trade clause... i doubt he goes anywhere either but its really not his choice.

Burkey3472
04-09-2019, 10:09 PM
he doesnt have a no trade clause... i doubt he goes anywhere either but its really not his choice.

Why would you trade him this offseason? If they get another star they can compete with a healthy Lebron. Even if you donít get someone else, Lebron will still attract eyeballs for the team. Plus, if you trade him you are telling future free agents with no trade clauses you might deal them, thats a bad look.

WhiteShadow42
04-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Trade Lebron and sign two max free agents? Not going to happen but we really donít know what Pelinka was capable of when Magic called the shots.

Klutch Sports for President of basketball operations. Someone here mentioned the entitlement. Thatís basically LA in a nutshell.

PAOboston
04-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Maybe he got a sense that FAs arenít coming to LAL this summer and he is bouncing now before that storm and its aftermath hits.

Switch
04-09-2019, 10:18 PM
RIP Lakers

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Cal827
04-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Maybe he got a sense that FAs arenít coming to LAL this summer and he is bouncing now before that storm and its aftermath hits.

That's what I'm thinking.

Kyrie might consider them, but if the Celts get Davis, he'll probably stay.

Kawhi will likely either stay in Toronto (Our Front Office is convinced the can resign him at this point FWIW) or go to the Clippers.

Klay will probably stay with the Warriors. Durant has been speculated to go to New York if not GS (and he might bring another star with him).

I mean, guys like Butler, Cousins, Harris (Not sure how he and Butler are liking Philly, MTM would probably know more than any of us would), Middleton might be interested and make LA a better team, but none of them will make them the dominant team and they would likely be first round fodder in the West.

Scoots
04-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Magic even screwed up quitting his job.

Bostonjorge
04-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Maybe Magic is using some Jedi mind tricks. Magic said he wants to go back to when he would mentor players without looking like he broke some tampering rules. Now Magic can show up on late night and say Lakers should get ??? and then wink wink. With Lakers taking no punishment.

Farty Farts
04-09-2019, 10:45 PM
RIP LA Fakers. the LA Lakers arent ever coming back. nobody wants to play with bron-bron and your best asset just quit.

Lakers + Giants
04-09-2019, 10:49 PM
I legit don't get why people are making fun of here. Same dumbasses laughing now are the ones that don't realize it's good for us..

This is great for us. If anything. This is the best move since we got LeBron

More-Than-Most
04-09-2019, 10:57 PM
I legit don't get why people are making fun of here. Same dumbasses laughing now are the ones that don't realize it's good for us..

yup.

c.c.
04-09-2019, 10:58 PM

?

Scoots
04-09-2019, 11:23 PM

I think it's good for the Lakers, but what comes next is still a big deal.

And I'm not sure getting LeBron was a good move. From what's been said about the Lakers this season is may be that Rondo was the best off-season signing.

Lakers + Giants
04-09-2019, 11:30 PM
I think it's good for the Lakers, but what comes next is still a big deal.

And I'm not sure getting LeBron was a good move. From what's been said about the Lakers this season is may be that Rondo was the best off-season signing.

You sign LeBron 11/10 times

Farty Farts
04-09-2019, 11:43 PM

your franchise has not done **** in a long time in basketball years, before and especially now with aging bronie. its been reported by multiple outlets and those that cover the league. nobody wants to play with, especially second fiddle to old *** bron-bron.

Lakers + Giants
04-09-2019, 11:45 PM
your franchise has not done **** in a long time in basketball years, before and especially now with aging bronie. its been reported by multiple outlets and those that cover the league. nobody wants to play with, especially second fiddle to old *** bron-bron.

It was also reported that Houston and Philly would land LeBron. How did that go?

smith&wesson
04-10-2019, 12:00 AM
Magic signed on to help get lebron. Job done and moving on. Now they need someone to come build a team around lebron. They donít need magic for that.

Scoots
04-10-2019, 12:23 AM

I'm sure not everyone does. All of this was talked about in the offseason ... he's going to be 35 years old in the first year they have reasonable chance to win, and his motor has been slowing for a few years already. Injuries are going to climb with time. He isn't coachable. He's a coach killer. He doesn't like playing with young guys. He's passive aggressive and can splinter a team. He needs the ball in his hands. He needs shooters around him. He doesn't play D the majority of the time anymore. He's EXPENSIVE.

Lakers + Giants
04-10-2019, 12:44 AM
I'm sure not everyone does. All of this was talked about in the offseason ... he's going to be 35 years old in the first year they have reasonable chance to win, and his motor has been slowing for a few years already. Injuries are going to climb with time. He isn't coachable. He's a coach killer. He doesn't like playing with young guys. He's passive aggressive and can splinter a team. He needs the ball in his hands. He needs shooters around him. He doesn't play D the majority of the time anymore. He's EXPENSIVE.

Other than age, all those things were said about Kobe too.

I'm not guaranteeing we win anything with him but to insinuate we'd be better off without LeBron is false.

The only way we even have a chance to contend begins with LeBron.

aman_13
04-10-2019, 01:20 AM
His line about not being here next year was hilarious.

TakeYourL
04-10-2019, 01:46 AM
First smart thing he's done in awhile, loved him as a player but he's a moron.

aman_13
04-10-2019, 02:03 AM
Magic never fit the role of a team executive. He felt restricted and I can respect his decision because he was unhappy.

Obviously he deserves criticism but this may end up working out for both the Lakers and Magic. However, I'm not sure letting everyone know that Luke was going to be fired is doing anyone good though.

aman_13
04-10-2019, 02:18 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens next and if there is any other news that ends up leaking. It sounds like there is a serious disconnect in the front office and it's quiet toxic. Magic may have just wanted to free himself from it all. He referred to backstabbing in his presser and that will certainly open a lot of questions.

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2019, 03:30 AM
Still debating who has the higher IQ, Jr Smith or Magic Johnson?

IKnowHoops
04-10-2019, 04:41 AM
What a clown

R. Johnson#3
04-10-2019, 08:24 AM
All he had to do was survive the Kobe farewell tour but then he went and got rid of their future. D-Lo, Clarkson, Nance and Randle wouldíve fit around Lebron so nicely. Magic literally just had to wait it out.

I sure am going to miss his tampering though

smith&wesson
04-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Magic never fit the role of a team executive. He felt restricted and I can respect his decision because he was unhappy.

Obviously he deserves criticism but this may end up working out for both the Lakers and Magic. However, I'm not sure letting everyone know that Luke was going to be fired is doing anyone good though.

Yeah totally tasteless ... made me look at him differently as a person. Seems like he has something personal against Walton

Scoots
04-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Yeah totally tasteless ... made me look at him differently as a person. Seems like he has something personal against Walton

He blamed Walton for his mistake of dumping DLo and Randle. So ... Walton said he thought the Lakers should keep them, Magic dumped them anyhow, then blamed Walton for their performances this year. Then just to make his point he dumped Zubac too.

TheDish87
04-10-2019, 09:42 AM
hahahahah amazing! gotta ****ing suck to be a Laker fan right now. Sign the best player in the world and miss the playoffs, strike out on every big name made available through trade or FA, have blind faith in Magic for no reason other then his name. all of this is so very well deserved.

TheDish87
04-10-2019, 09:48 AM

if you knew the teamw as gonna miss the playoffs you would not want to sign him. bcuz, really whats the point? Dudes dont even wanna make a movie with him let alone play on the same team lol

smith&wesson
04-10-2019, 10:07 AM
He blamed Walton for his mistake of dumping DLo and Randle. So ... Walton said he thought the Lakers should keep them, Magic dumped them anyhow, then blamed Walton for their performances this year. Then just to make his point he dumped Zubac too.

Losing those players really hurts the Lakers... Iíd rather have DLo over Ball all day

Hawkeye15
04-10-2019, 10:14 AM

meh, the league seems to be doing just fine with the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks all sucking...

eff the Lakers. Seriously.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2019, 10:15 AM
No one would have a problem with the Lakers if they built like a regular team. If they made the playoffs through the guys they drafted, no one would hate them. But No! They got to take shortcuts because its Hollywood! We got to get all the Celebs to our game!

I will always have a problem with the Lakers, because their fans are unbearable. They have been better the last few years, since Kobe retired and they started sucking. But a good Lakers team=annoying fan base all revved up.

Vee-Rex
04-10-2019, 10:30 AM
I will always have a problem with the Lakers, because their fans are unbearable. They have been better the last few years, since Kobe retired and they started sucking. But a good Lakers team=annoying fan base all revved up.

That's how it is with a lot of fan bases.

TheDish87
04-10-2019, 11:08 AM
meh, the league seems to be doing just fine with the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks all sucking...

eff the Lakers. Seriously.

yea, i dont get this notion its better when team x is good. The league is generating more money than ever without NY or LA being relevant for the last 6+ years

Hawkeye15
04-10-2019, 11:27 AM

probably so. Like I imagine the Knicks fans would be awful, but they are never good, so we don't know

SiteWolf
04-10-2019, 11:58 AM
sly dog....now that's he's no longer attached to the team, he can tamper all he wants!

GiantsSwaGG
04-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Rich Paul will be the next president book it!

majmarcus
04-10-2019, 12:14 PM
No one would have a problem with the Lakers if they built like a regular team. If they made the playoffs through the guys they drafted, no one would hate them. But No! They got to take shortcuts because its Hollywood! We got to get all the Celebs to our game![emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

R. Johnson#3
04-10-2019, 12:43 PM
probably so. Like I imagine the Knicks fans would be awful, but they are never good, so we don't know

Knick fans are my favourite. Every off-season they think that everybody wants to be a Knick. Hell, they even thought Lebron was going to be a Knick because of the Fizzdale signing.

Scoots
04-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Kind of odd that Magic has eroded his reputation since he retired because of HIV.

Chronz
04-10-2019, 02:08 PM
No, its really not. This is a franchise that has never experienced ANY sort of comparable lull to the rest of the NBA until recent memory. Their down time in the 90's was being a playoff team then getting Shaq. Its a global franchise for a reason. Imagine if you will, a petulant child used to getting his way for much of his life, then he grows up still getting his way only to go broke. We've all been broke before, in the same city my Clips have been the mirrior opposite up until very recently, living in LA, Im very afraid of what will become of these people if and when they return to prominence

More-Than-Most
04-10-2019, 02:22 PM
he is getting destroyed on every talk show today about being a quitter lol... they said from him being a coach to his magic johnson talk shot to now this that this is who he is... the only one coming to his defense is steven A smith who is trying to say jeanie knew but ramona shelborn just said there is nobody in the world who actually thinks she knew because she didnt... she went on to say this was a selfish decision by magic who speaks about wade but then makes today all about himself while screwing over the wades and dirks who are retiring and not being talked about.

More-Than-Most
04-10-2019, 02:24 PM
yea, i dont get this notion its better when team x is good. The league is generating more money than ever without NY or LA being relevant for the last 6+ years

that is because of new york and LA.... these teams are bad and their teams still make the NBA the most money and its not close... anyway you slice it the NBA is better when these 2 teams are good. You dont get it because you dont do your homework.

example last year more than half of nba teams lost money... the lakers and knicks because of revenue sharing keep a ton of teams afloat.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20747413/a-confidential-report-shows-nearly-half-nba-lost-money-last-season-now-what

More-Than-Most
04-10-2019, 02:31 PM
The NBA is doing great because the big markets are covering up for a ton of ****... the sixers now that they arent tanking will now be one of the ones giving money like the bulls/lakers/knicks basically always do... these teams are good for basketball when they are good because the league cant afford to have all 3 of these teams being **** over a long span just incase the fans ever stop showing up.

In all, 10 teams transferred $201 million combined in revenue-sharing to 15 other teams in 2016-17, according to the documents. (Five teams -- Toronto, Brooklyn, Miami, Dallas and Philadelphia -- neither gave nor received in revenue sharing. To illustrate how complex the revenue-sharing system is, the Nets are one of the teams that don't receive, despite being among those that lost the most money.) Four teams -- the Warriors, Knicks, Lakers and Bulls -- accounted for $144 million, or 71.5 percent, of those revenue-sharing transfers.

TheDish87
04-10-2019, 02:50 PM
that is because of new york and LA.... these teams are bad and their teams still make the NBA the most money and its not close... anyway you slice it the NBA is better when these 2 teams are good. You dont get it because you dont do your homework.

example last year more than half of nba teams lost money... the lakers and knicks because of revenue sharing keep a ton of teams afloat.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20747413/a-confidential-report-shows-nearly-half-nba-lost-money-last-season-now-what

simply due to being the largest markets in the league. the majority of fans around the world do not give 2 ***** if they are good. you act like revenue isnt at an all time high in various areas.

Scoots
04-10-2019, 03:04 PM
he is getting destroyed on every talk show today about being a quitter lol... they said from him being a coach to his magic johnson talk shot to now this that this is who he is... the only one coming to his defense is steven A smith who is trying to say jeanie knew but ramona shelborn just said there is nobody in the world who actually thinks she knew because she didnt... she went on to say this was a selfish decision by magic who speaks about wade but then makes today all about himself while screwing over the wades and dirks who are retiring and not being talked about.

Yep

More-Than-Most
04-10-2019, 03:30 PM
simply due to being the largest markets in the league. the majority of fans around the world do not give 2 ***** if they are good. you act like revenue isnt at an all time high in various areas.

its at an all time high because of tv deals etc and because of all the ground work the top media teams like the knicks/lakers/bulls/76ers and so on down the list helped set forward... a number of teams are still losing money again this is factual and the reason they can lose money is because of teams like the lakers and knicks... anyway you slice it the lakers/knicks/bulls/sixers/warriors all being great is the best thing in the world for the NBA and its fans and OTHER TEAMS because of what they put in to the revenue sharing. The NBA is fine because of these teams esp the knicks/lakers

as for around the world... do you have any idea how popular the knicks/lakers are outside of the united stats?

BKLYNpigeon
04-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Which Team has a brighter outlook?

Lakers or Knicks? lol

ugottabjoshinme
04-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Which Team has a brighter outlook?

Lakers or Knicks? lol

Depends on the draft lottery.

j-bay
04-10-2019, 03:53 PM
No, its really not. This is a franchise that has never experienced ANY sort of comparable lull to the rest of the NBA until recent memory. Their down time in the 90's was being a playoff team then getting Shaq. Its a global franchise for a reason. Imagine if you will, a petulant child used to getting his way for much of his life, then he grows up still getting his way only to go broke. We've all been broke before, in the same city my Clips have been the mirrior opposite up until very recently, living in LA, Im very afraid of what will become of these people if and when they return to prominence

As i said before the Clippees are LA's real team. The Lakers are Hollywood/Beverly Hills team.

aman_13
04-10-2019, 04:13 PM

She might have known. There is something very off about how this whole thing went down. There is also an "article" from ESPN that is supposed to come out, which apparently does not speak kindly of Magic. It's to the point where he would have been forced to step down.

Scoots
04-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Depends on the draft lottery.

And free agency

TakeYourL
04-10-2019, 06:52 PM
I think he basically knew his time was over.

Lakers came off arrogant as hell the way they went after pg, Kawhi, and Davis, and they missed on all of them.

That had to be embarassing especially the way pelicans exposed them.

CityofTreez
04-10-2019, 07:05 PM
As i said before the Clippees are LA's real team. The Lakers are Hollywood/Beverly Hills team.

You probably live on east coast because you donít know what youíre postin, but keep on keepin on.

GREATNESS ONE
04-10-2019, 07:36 PM
You probably live on east coast because you donít know what youíre postin, but keep on keepin on.

Lol for real.

More-Than-Most
04-10-2019, 08:13 PM

the clippers are better right now and probably in the future and no doubt ran better but this right here is just not true... they could win 10 straight championships and still not be LAs real team. The history is insane but before Shaq/Kobe there was a really really long drought... they would need another drought like that which just wont happen.

j-bay
04-10-2019, 08:50 PM

I am saying the "Showtime Lakers" were made for the rich and the famous. The regular people of LA and California are welcomed to come along for the ride, but they don't build super teams to attract avarage joe.

GREATNESS ONE
04-10-2019, 09:27 PM
I am saying the "Showtime Lakers" were made for the rich and the famous. The regular people of LA and California are welcomed to come along for the ride, but they don't build super teams to attract avarage joe.

Youíve never been to Cali huh? Be honest..

j-bay
04-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Youíve never been to Cali huh? Be honest..

Nope. And i know what your going to say. But it would be nice for the Lakers to have to go through what the other 29 teams have had to go through one time or another.

Cracka2HI!
04-10-2019, 11:29 PM
Damn. Lakers might have a chance to be good next season now.

Saddletramp
04-11-2019, 12:49 AM
Zubacís looking pretty good out there for the Clippers.........

TheDish87
04-11-2019, 08:53 AM
its at an all time high because of tv deals etc and because of all the ground work the top media teams like the knicks/lakers/bulls/76ers and so on down the list helped set forward... a number of teams are still losing money again this is factual and the reason they can lose money is because of teams like the lakers and knicks... anyway you slice it the lakers/knicks/bulls/sixers/warriors all being great is the best thing in the world for the NBA and its fans and OTHER TEAMS because of what they put in to the revenue sharing. The NBA is fine because of these teams esp the knicks/lakers

as for around the world... do you have any idea how popular the knicks/lakers are outside of the united stats?

again, its NY and LA by far the 2 biggest markets. Yea, they help the little guys but no one cares if the teams are actually good or not i dont get why you cant wrap your head around that. i think its more fun when they both sucks balls like they do for the last 5 years.

TheDish87
04-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Zubacís looking pretty good out there for the Clippers.........

so is Landry Shamet. Clippers are in a great spot if they can land someone like major with the solid role players they have in place.

Scoots
04-11-2019, 10:42 AM

You can't have stood outside The Forum and think that. Back in the day that place was a shithole and the locals LOVED (and still love) the Lakers above all.

The Lakers do have some Hollywood in their marketing, but during showtime there were always cheap seats available for every game.

Wade n Fade
04-11-2019, 11:27 AM
If I am LeBron, I would demand a trade from the Lakers. His decision to go to LA isn't going to work out from a basketball standpoint because I can't see people wanting to go out there after seeing Boogie and PG13 spurn him out there. I could see Kyrie staying in Boston w/ AD on that squad. I could see Jimmy Butler taking a 5 year max with the 76ers. Kawhi is probably going to stay in Toronto and the face of a country. Durant could attract other players out to the Knicks or stay put with Klay in Golden State.

WhiteShadow42
04-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Damn. Lakers might have a chance to be good next season now.

We will probably figure out a way to screw this up too.

WhiteShadow42
04-11-2019, 11:38 AM
You can't have stood outside The Forum and think that. Back in the day that place was a shithole and the locals LOVED (and still love) the Lakers above all.

The Lakers do have some Hollywood in their marketing, but during showtime there were always cheap seats available for every game.

This. I sat in those cheap seats way up there . The stars was more for selling the brand to the masses, Buss wanted everyone to enjoy the Lakers. He always had a bunch of foster kids go to games free. I was one of those kids and to this day I havenít forgotten that gesture. No one mentions that. Very good guy.

Switch
04-11-2019, 01:07 PM
I am saying the "Showtime Lakers" were made for the rich and the famous. The regular people of LA and California are welcomed to come along for the ride, but they don't build super teams to attract avarage joe.Half the time you yourself probably don't know what the hell you are talking about

Switch
04-11-2019, 01:09 PM
This. I sat in those cheap seats way up there . The stars was more for selling the brand to the masses, Buss wanted everyone to enjoy the Lakers. He always had a bunch of foster kids go to games free. I was one of those kids and to this day I havenít forgotten that gesture. No one mentions that. Very good guy.Buss will forever be missed. The Lakers are just not the same with out him

j-bay
04-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Half the time you yourself probably don't know what the hell you are talking about

I'm just so tired of LA fans saying "We deserve this guy". They deserve to go through a proper rebuild without anyone bailing them out. Let them go through what the Knicks. Nets, 76ers, Suns, and Wizards have had to go through. Its easy for LA to acquire talent, the last thing the NBA needs is the snake Lebron and his rat friend Paul to make it any easier. We talk about how unfair it was for the Warriors to get KD and Cousins. At least the Warriors team was already built. The Lakers took their get out jail free card. Newflash, thats why people want the Lakers to fail along with the Lebron-Paul stuff. Its a whole lot harder fot other teams to get out of that situation. What i want to see is the Lakers to build a team through the draft like the Warriors did. I think that would be good for the NBA.

Scoots
04-11-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm just so tired of LA fans saying "We deserve this guy". They deserve to go through a proper rebuild without anyone bailing them out. Let them go through what the Knicks. Nets, 76ers, Suns, and Wizards have had to go through. Its easy for LA to acquire talent, the last thing the NBA needs is the snake Lebron and his rat friend Paul to make it any easier. We talk about how unfair it was for the Warriors to get KD and Cousins. At least the Warriors team was already built. The Lakers took their get out jail free card. Newflash, thats why people want the Lakers to fail along with the Lebron-Paul stuff. Its a whole lot harder fot other teams to get out of that situation. What i want to see is the Lakers to build a team through the draft like the Warriors did. I think that would be good for the NBA.

It wasn't unfair for the Warriors to get KD and Cousins, it was lucky ... and bad luck for the rest of the NBA. The Warriors didn't do anything special or sneaky.

The Lakers can't quite say that can they? :)

flea
04-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Praying for another decade of Laker futility.

cmellofan15
04-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Praying for another decade of Laker futility.

it's like praying for the sun to rise tomorrow..you fully expect it's going to happen, but it's good to be thankful.

j-bay
04-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Just thought of this. Please let the Lakers sign Ernie. Please let the Lakers sign Ernie.

TrueFan420
04-12-2019, 12:51 PM
If I am LeBron, I would demand a trade from the Lakers. His decision to go to LA isn't going to work out from a basketball standpoint because I can't see people wanting to go out there after seeing Boogie and PG13 spurn him out there. I could see Kyrie staying in Boston w/ AD on that squad. I could see Jimmy Butler taking a 5 year max with the 76ers. Kawhi is probably going to stay in Toronto and the face of a country. Durant could attract other players out to the Knicks or stay put with Klay in Golden State.

Lebron didnít go to LA for basketball reasons.

Cracka2HI!
04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
We will probably figure out a way to screw this up too.

LOL! You could be right. It sounds like they are keeping Pelinka and giving him more power. As bad as Magic was Pelinka might be worse. Every time I hear him talk I wonder how he is even employed at all let alone GM of one of the most iconic teams in sports. He seems like one of the dumbest people I've ever heard speak.

Wade n Fade
04-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Lebron didnít go to LA for basketball reasons.

Yeah, it's for the $ and the branding out in LA for the most part. But at the same time, it would be a sad way to finish his career out if he is stuck with a rebuild or a mediocre squad out in LA. The Clippers are in the playoffs and they traded their front court player earlier this year.

majmarcus
04-13-2019, 10:37 PM
Lebron didnít go to LA for basketball reasons.All the more reason why WE as Laker fans should support/encourage his hopeful request/demand for a trade.

Signing him was a fools move man. And the man foolish enough to sign him resigned(fortunately).

When reports come out that he isnt even in the building, yet he's making such rosters decisions and attempting to make executive changes along the way...Lebron can finally be that leader he wasn't all season by following Magics lead....

Out the freaking door!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

kdspurman
05-20-2019, 11:13 AM

GiantsSwaGG
05-20-2019, 11:35 AM
So Magic pretty much told Jeanie I want the GM job but Iím not fully committed and she hired him anyway? :laugh: what a joke

SteBO
05-20-2019, 11:41 AM
So Magic pretty much told Jeanie I want the GM job but Iím not fully committed and she hired him anyway? :laugh: what a joke
Pretty much. Good amount of nuggets came from that interview, from Pelinka being a snake (par for the course based on what you hear and read) to Magic wanting Luke Walton out, but everything he said there could simply be summed up as....the Lakers organization is a **** show. If Magic was promised a level of power and Jeanie reneged by bringing in some Walton slurper in the meetings, I don't blame him for dippin'. He was made assurances and they back stabbed him.

That's his side anyway. Let's see how/if Jeanie and Rob respond to this.

GiantsSwaGG
05-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Pretty much. Good amount of nuggets came from that interview, from Pelinka being a snake (par for the course based on what you hear and read) to Magic wanting Luke Walton out, but everything he said there could simply be summed up as....the Lakers organization is a **** show. If Magic was promised a level of power and Jeanie reneged by bringing in some Walton slurper in the meetings, I don't blame him for dippin'. He was made assurances and they back stabbed him.

That's his side anyway. Let's see how/if Jeanie and Rob respond to this.

Iím still stuck on her hiring him in the first place. How do you hire someone that told you heís more focused on his business and is out in 3 years? On top of that who the **** is Tim Harris how in the world did anyone think keeping Walton was a good idea?

Lakers have officially become a joke and itís crazy that they have LBJ and the Pelicans have a brighter future even with them trading AD soon!

SteBO
05-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Iím still stuck on her hiring him in the first place. How do you hire someone that told you heís more focused on his business and is out in 3 years? On top of that who the **** is Tim Harris how in the world did anyone think keeping Walton was a good idea?

Lakers have officially become a joke and itís crazy that they have LBJ and the Pelicans have a brighter future even with them trading AD soon!
Cronyism is the only word I can think of for why they'd hire him in the first place. That and he's a nice face to have attached to your franchise to sell superstars on joining the Lakers. They don't have that anymore now though, and to add insult to injury, he exposed the dysfunction we all kinda knew already.

Wes Mantooth
05-20-2019, 12:54 PM
The Buss family is the real problem. They did not give Magic and Pelinka a defined role in the organization. Too many cooks in the kitchen.