PDA

View Full Version : Is a triple twenty really no big deal?

WOwolfOL
04-03-2019, 02:23 AM
Surprised to not see a thread yet. I know it's a product of the era and Russell is a ball hawk but this is historic ****. It should be treated as such but it feels like it is seen as a cheap accomplishment. It's sad because it is an extremely rare achievement.

Bluefire
04-03-2019, 03:42 AM
Considering how Russ got the final couple of rebounds, it was indeed a cheap accomplishment. At least on the same level of when James Harden took and unnecessary 3 and made it to keep his 30 points per game streak alive.

The 20/20/20 should be a great accomplishment but it's Russ so it's not.

SiteWolf
04-03-2019, 08:02 AM
It's cheap just because he stayed in the game after the coach wanted to take him out? Dude already had a 20/18/21 game at the time, right? 20/20/20 had only been done once in the HISTORY of the game...and his is cheap just for a couple boards?

It's still just stats...stats aren't wins...but they also won the game, so I'm not sure why it's cheap to you.

Stunner
04-03-2019, 08:07 AM
God bless you Westbrook , RIP Nipsey

c.c.
04-03-2019, 08:13 AM
Considering how Russ got the final couple of rebounds, it was indeed a cheap accomplishment. At least on the same level of when James Harden took and unnecessary 3 and made it to keep his 30 points per game streak alive.

The 20/20/20 should be a great accomplishment but it's Russ so it's not.

I used to think his triple doubles were cheap but no anymore.

Guys like Wilt, Oscar Robertson, etc. got those records by playing “cheap” basketball.

They played every minute they could even if they was blowing a team out or getting blown out. They took shots with the shot clock off.

So how is it okay to call Russ stat line cheap but not theirs?

Scoots
04-03-2019, 08:59 AM
It's a stat. It's rare. There are records falling all the time. Good for Russ. Next.

crewfan13
04-03-2019, 09:41 AM
It's a stat. It's rare. There are records falling all the time. Good for Russ. Next.

That's how I feel as well. Sure it's cool, but it's sort of a novelty. We get so obsessed with round numbers like 20s, but that's all sports. Baseball celebrates a cycle and when a guy goes 4/4 with 2 homers, a double and a single, everyone mentions how he's a triple shy of the cycle instead of recognizing that his performance was better than a cycle. Same thing happens with a triple double and all that stuff. If russ finishes with 28/19/19 the discussion would have been he's a rebound and an assist from a 20/20/20 game, even though 28/19/19 might be better.

And then there's style of play too. Russ definitely stat hunts and the team allows him to stat hunt. How many of those 20 boards could have been gathered by a big who treoa it up to russ who's already moving towards the break? There's an argument that he doesn't need to be the glass cleaner and he'd be better off starting the break.

Stunner
04-03-2019, 09:48 AM
https://twitter.com/sportsbybrooks/status/1113407045728919552?s=21

20+ 20+ 20 = 60 , if you know Nipsey music and past you see the meanig. Westbrook was on a mission tonight to get this accomplished , it was really fate. His first game back after his death smh. I wonder how Harden will react because he really close to Nipsey

dhopisthename
04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
I didn't watch the game, but 21 assists is impressive.

ewing
04-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Mvp mvp mvp

AlexDenholm
04-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Why not? Averaging a triple-double for the thrid consecutive season after all

Driven
04-03-2019, 02:43 PM
I think it's impressive. I don't care if he got it by being "cheap". You can't fully cheap your way to 20-20-20.

WOwolfOL
04-03-2019, 04:13 PM
For the record I don't think it's cheap. I'm more referring to the general malaise around here considering there was no thread for it, nor a post in the game thread about it.

Chronz
04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
I used to think his triple doubles were cheap but no anymore.

Guys like Wilt, Oscar Robertson, etc. got those records by playing “cheap” basketball.

They played every minute they could even if they was blowing a team out or getting blown out. They took shots with the shot clock off.

So how is it okay to call Russ stat line cheap but not theirs?

Lol, if they knew people would make such a big deal about triple doubles they would've tried to get more of them. They didn't look at those numbers like players today

Driven
04-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Lol, if they knew people would make such a big deal about triple doubles they would've tried to get more of them. They didn't look at those numbers like players today

Is that true though? Before my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronz
04-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Is that true though? Before my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, IIRC, the term triple double wasn't coined until the 80's, I wouldn't doubt it if it were Pat Riley himself who coined it coaching Magic just like when he patented the term Threepeat before any of the Celtics realized what they had done in 8peating.