PDA

View Full Version : You are a free agent super star where do you go?

ewing
03-26-2019, 09:39 AM
You can give different answers based on your position, style of play, or age but what teams are most attractive to you and why?

Hawkeye15
03-26-2019, 09:51 AM
great thread idea dude..

I will go by what I was. Scoring guard who was a bit undersized. So for me, I want to play, but I also would like a great spot to start raising a family, and win some games. In order, I would pick:

NYK (Assuming they land Zion)
Brooklyn
LAC
Indiana
Dallas (Luka takes the ball from me a lot, so eh. Plus I hate Texas)

Me personally, I have a dream of living in NYC, but I wouldn't live there without making a lot of money, so...

Silent
03-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Hawks Why not so much young talent
Knicks Its NY
Mavs Luka, Porzingas, Brunson
Kings Lots of young talent

Tier2

Lakers
Pacers
Nets

MygirlhatesCod
03-26-2019, 10:23 AM
As a guard that likes to post on the perimeter Mil and Houston would be primary locations because of the space Giannis and Harden give. wouldn't have to worry about being a primary ball handler and would only have to worry about spot shooting and defense.

Clips, Denver and Brooklyn would be the second tier because of the opportunity to legitimately compete for the next 5 years. all three locations are places I personally like.

Suns would be a choice only because nobody wins there and I would like to be the first.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2019, 10:46 AM
how much weight does each have for you guys?

Winning
Role
City (this consists of location, politics, things to do, area to raise kids, etc)
Cost of living
Other factors?

Are there any cities, in theory (because I and likely you would live anywhere if it paid the right amount) that you would avoid no matter what?

Tg11
03-26-2019, 10:57 AM
For me if it is me and I'm a superstar player I want to go somewhere where it is a hot climate and being from a cold climate city like Toronto...I wouldn't want to play here. However, I would be open to Boston and New York in terms of the history behind both franchises but I would lean more towards Boston. However, my ideal destinations are Boston, LA (Clippers not the Lakers), Golden State, Miami, Atlanta or Charlotte or Houston.

I predominantly play point guard but I'm more a pass first point guard.

Tg11
03-26-2019, 11:07 AM
how much weight does each have for you guys?

Winning
Role
City (this consists of location, politics, things to do, area to raise kids, etc)
Cost of living
Other factors?

Are there any cities, in theory (because I and likely you would live anywhere if it paid the right amount) that you would avoid no matter what?

Every player wants to win but just as long as I get to play and my role being a 1...PG...but more a pass first point guard. City I want to play has to be a franchise that is in a hot city or a city known for its winning culture. Cost of living...as long as it is a high end place for me and my family it doesn't matter.

I would avoid wanting to play for teams like the Bucks, Spurs, Raptors, Sixers, Lakers, Bulls, etc

However, to any of the cities that want me that are in hot climates like Phoenix, Orlando, LA, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Golden State, Oklahoma City, etc

If they paid me then I wouldn't mind

Rivera
03-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Show me the money!!!!! Highest bidder!

If offers are close, id look at PT more than fit. Where am I going to play the most? Where can I build my value? Im not trying to do that off the bench of being the first starter subbed out.

Next factor if both are close is winning.

If I were a player im sure thats how I would think

1) Money
2) Playing time
3) Winning

Hawkeye15
03-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Every player wants to win but just as long as I get to play and my role being a 1...PG...but more a pass first point guard. City I want to play has to be a franchise that is in a hot city or a city known for its winning culture. Cost of living...as long as it is a high end place for me and my family it doesn't matter.

I would avoid wanting to play for teams like the Bucks, Spurs, Raptors, Sixers, Lakers, Bulls, etc

However, to any of the cities that want me that are in hot climates like Phoenix, Orlando, LA, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Golden State, Oklahoma City, etc

If they paid me then I wouldn't mind

ehhhhhhhhhhhh, you sure about that? They all say they do, but many of them don't make decisions that demonstrate that. Andrew Wiggins is a perfect example.

There are also different levels of need/want. Like for me, living in NYC is way more appealing than living in Cleveland, even if the chance at winning is better in Cleveland. Trust me, athletes are the same as everyone else. Some are driven to win no matter what, most aren't, and fall somewhere in between.

It's funny you mention climate. I hate heat, but then again, basketball is played in the winter, so Phx for example would be awesome during the season, and my *** would move north in the offseason. Also, Golden State is not a hot climate. At all. In fact, it's fairly cool in the winter, though not cold.

LeonFSU
03-26-2019, 12:09 PM
I would probably take more time to consider than I'll spend typing a response, but if I were a star veteran wing (e.g., Leonard, Butler, Durant, or to a lesser extent Thompson, Harris, or Middleton) I would be very interested in Brooklyn. I like what I hear about their front office and coaching staff. Great city. Plus, they're starting to win and they have an all-star point guard that I could play with.

dhopisthename
03-26-2019, 01:05 PM
I think owners and management would have to be #1 on my list because winning would be one of the most important things. I personally would avoid the Hornets, Wizards, Bulls, Cavs, Knicks, Suns, Pelicans, Lakers, pistons, kings, and Twolves. I am sorry, but you have all be at or near the bottom of the league when you don't have a superstar and most of those teams failed even when they had a superstar.
2nd important thing would be the current roster. How old is it. does it have other superstars. does it have to many other guys.
the following teams have no cap space or will only have caps space because their best players are free agents. Bucks, Raptors, 76ers, celtics, Detroit, Miami, Denver, houston, Portland, OKC, Spurs, Warriors, memphis

leaving Brooklyn, Pacers, Utah, Hawks, mavericks, Clippers

from here it would become based on roster construction, fit and location.

mightybosstone
03-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Basketball was always my best sport growing up, but that's REALLY not saying much. I'm 5'7" and not especially fast or athletic. But I did like to play quite a bit of 2v2 and 3v3 with some friends I used to work in high school. I was more of a pick setter, defender and outside shooter than anything, so that skillset (or lack thereof) would probably fit in fine in most NBA teams.

If it was me, I'd look for money and fit, but I'd also really, really want to win. I'm super competitive and I hate losing, so I would gladly take a little less money to play somewhere where I could compete for a title as long as I got some occasional playing time. I'd also want to be close to my family, so Houston is an obvious fit. But I'd be willing to play somewhere where I got along with my teammates and could win basketball games.

Tg11
03-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Basketball was always my best sport growing up, but that's REALLY not saying much. I'm 5'7" and not especially fast or athletic. But I did like to play quite a bit of 2v2 and 3v3 with some friends I used to work in high school. I was more of a pick setter, defender and outside shooter than anything, so that skillset (or lack thereof) would probably fit in fine in most NBA teams.

If it was me, I'd look for money and fit, but I'd also really, really want to win. I'm super competitive and I hate losing, so I would gladly take a little less money to play somewhere where I could compete for a title as long as I got some occasional playing time. I'd also want to be close to my family, so Houston is an obvious fit. But I'd be willing to play somewhere where I got along with my teammates and could win basketball games.

I'm more or less like you...I'm 5'11 or 6 ft basically so in today's NBA I would basically be a 1 at the point guard position since I'm basically undersized by NBA standards. However, I can definitely pass since I'm a pass first type player in the sense of being unselfish and getting teammates involved. However, if I really had to score then I would. But at the same time where we differ is wanting to be close to family. See with me it doesn't really matter where I play as long as it is in a hot climate type city with a great atmosphere or a city that is a playoff destination but one who has a rich history but like you all in all I would want to go anywhere that has a great system utilized by a great coach.

Chronz
03-26-2019, 04:37 PM
A tanking AF team so I could put up big superficial numbers and trick Magic into ponying up.