PDA

View Full Version : What is one thing you would change/add to the sport that would make the game better

More-Than-Most
03-24-2019, 07:43 PM
What is one thing you would change or add to the sport that would make the game better going forward?

More-Than-Most
03-24-2019, 07:43 PM
well damn i guess the title reached its limit lololol... can a mod fix please

ewing
03-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Easy eliminating all replay except buzz beaters and 3s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronz
03-24-2019, 08:54 PM
Allowing defenders to contest 3s the way they allow inside buckets

warfelg
03-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Bring back hand checking, donít call rip through shots, and donít call fouls when the offensive player jumps into the defender.

Heediot
03-24-2019, 09:58 PM
use fiba international regulated rules.

defense will return, and more skill will be needed to score.

Storch
03-24-2019, 11:06 PM
Allow more contact

CityofTreez
03-24-2019, 11:19 PM
Jumpball every quarter

Scoots
03-24-2019, 11:33 PM
I posted this elsewhere but it seems to fit here.

What I'd like from the NBA:

-25 man roster, 10 of them are development deals (not drafted by the team), give the development players real NBA contracts, but 6 years before they are restricted free agents.
-No conferences, balance the schedule based on the top seeds play more games against the top seeds and on down like the NFL does.
-Move the line out 3 inches and make it 26.75 from baseline to baseline and widen the court 3 feet.
-Clean up the screen rules
-Clean up the contact rules so that an offensive player creating contact is a no-call or a call on the offensive player if the contact gained them an advantage.
-Don't call simple contact if it doesn't give the defender an obvious advantage. Play on.
-Don't call a 24 second violation if the defense got the ball
-Add an official, two on the baseline, two at the 3point line extended. Cut their running down.
-Tell officials not to guess ... if you don't see it don't call it. No matter how the players "react".
-5 seconds from when the player gets the ball to shoot a free throw. No players allowed in the lane between free throws.
-Change the all-nba teams to be 2 bigs, 2 wings, and 1 of either.
-Don't have such long TV timeouts. When teams or officials call a long timeout play a commerical, but leave the game video going in picture in picture. Do it every long timeout, but show 1 30 second spot, 1 15 second spot, and back to the game. Same number of commercials but less boring for fans.
-All flagrant/non flagrant foul calls can be judged after the game. Call it a regular foul and play on.
-There is a 5 second back to the basket with the ball rule. Let's extended to within 3 feet of the 3 point line and regardless of there you are facing. If you can't make a move within 5 seconds, get rid of the ball. It's been okay in the post, we need it elsewhere too.

Scoots
03-24-2019, 11:41 PM
Bring back hand checking, donít call rip through shots, and donít call fouls when the offensive player jumps into the defender.

The hand checking rule change is WAY over-rated. Hand checking has been illegal for a long time. You can see Bird getting called for hand checks on Magic. The mid-90s rules changes just cleaned up the language of the rule. What REALLY mattered from that rule change was the allowing zone defense. As soon as zone D was allowed post scoring dropped and double teaming went from being risky to being safe because the defender didn't have to go all the way to the double and then all the way back, now they can just hang out anywhere in between. And we all know the easiest way to beat the zone is shooting ... so shooting is maybe the most prized skill and it took 15 years for the shooters to change the game.

The hand checking isn't going back to the old rules. The zone D may be possible, but I doubt it.

Since it takes time for rules changes to bear fruit small simple changes make the most sense. The one to me to change the 3 is move the line back 3" and make the arc the same all the way around. The number of 3s would drop a bunch.

ManningToTyree
03-25-2019, 01:24 AM
Hand checking

goingfor28
03-25-2019, 01:41 AM
I've always hated that a defender can jump in front of an offensive player at the last second and draw a charge. Seems like a cheap was to play D imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scoots
03-25-2019, 10:27 AM
I've always hated that a defender can jump in front of an offensive player at the last second and draw a charge. Seems like a cheap was to play D imo.

The rules say they can't and the defender gets called for a block most of the time. To draw a charge the defender is supposed to be set before the offensive player makes the move that results in contact.

In general I want fewer fouls called, so if the contact doesn't advantage the offense or defense then play on.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2019, 10:35 AM
single change? Allow hand checking again.

archdevil84
03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
drastically reduce the amount of timeouts, free throws reworked so that if you hit the first you immediately get 2 points, if you miss the first you can stil take a 2nd one to atleast get 1 point. in general speed things up for much less dead ball time where nothing is happening. 48 minutes of real playing time should not take 3 hours

TrueFan420
03-25-2019, 12:01 PM
48 minutes of real playing time should not take 3 hours

NBA will never change that. They make way too much on commercials.

GREATNESS ONE
03-25-2019, 12:45 PM

Yes, please....

Scoots
03-25-2019, 01:04 PM
drastically reduce the amount of timeouts, free throws reworked so that if you hit the first you immediately get 2 points, if you miss the first you can stil take a 2nd one to atleast get 1 point. in general speed things up for much less dead ball time where nothing is happening. 48 minutes of real playing time should not take 3 hours

I kind of agree with the 2 points for the first FT, but I think that is a valuable skill and I wouldn't want to devalue it, also that would kind of mess with the rebounding on FTs. My suggestion was to not allow anyone in the lane between FTs and allow 5 seconds from the player getting the ball to shoot the FT. That would take the typical foul from a minute to 30 seconds or so.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 01:06 PM
NBA will never change that. They make way too much on commercials.

They can overlay commercials on a lot more of the game. They can overlay a commercial on all timeouts and all FTs (until the last 2 minutes)

And halftime gives them a lot of opportunities.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Hand checking was dis-allowed in 1978 ... you know just before the offensive explosion of the 1980s and showtime?

All the talk about hand checking being some major change are wildly overblown. Michael Jordan never had to play with hand checking. The 2004 rule was a clarification to clarify the rule. In 1978 the rule was to make sure the offensive player was in no way impeded by the hand of the defender, the competition committee decided that it wasn't working so the clarified the rule AGAIN in 2004.

The BIG change is allowing zone defenses which DRAMATICALLY reduced driving lanes which in turn made the game less physical because man defense was no longer essentially the sole way to play effective defense in the NBA.

I doubt you'd be able to get the NBA to go back on that one though.

crewfan13
03-25-2019, 01:34 PM
I hate to sound too "old man yelling at the clouds"-y but I'd love if they'd clean up some of the little fundamental stuff. Call some more moving screens. Call the dumb travels where a big guy gets it on the elbow and changes pivot feet 8 times before passing or the pg takes 5 steps before dribbling on the inbound.

I'm fine with being a little generous with the gather and 2 steps stuff but those little things that dont really benefit anyone but aren't called just seem so lazy to me and it annoys the crap out of me.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 01:41 PM
I hate to sound too "old man yelling at the clouds"-y but I'd love if they'd clean up some of the little fundamental stuff. Call some more moving screens. Call the dumb travels where a big guy gets it on the elbow and changes pivot feet 8 times before passing or the pg takes 5 steps before dribbling on the inbound.

I'm fine with being a little generous with the gather and 2 steps stuff but those little things that dont really benefit anyone but aren't called just seem so lazy to me and it annoys the crap out of me.

That steps on the inbound pass ... it's amazing how often I see that and I've only seen it called once.

The moving screen thing is a rule issue not necessarily enforcement. The rules allow the screen to move in certain circumstances and players have learned how to mimic those circumstances.

The officials are instructed to look at the hands of offensive and defensive players first and feet last. We need another official on the court so they can have the capacity for one to be looking at feet and catch the travel.

ewing
03-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Hand checking was dis-allowed in 1978 ... you know just before the offensive explosion of the 1980s and showtime?

All the talk about hand checking being some major change are wildly overblown. Michael Jordan never had to play with hand checking. The 2004 rule was a clarification to clarify the rule. In 1978 the rule was to make sure the offensive player was in no way impeded by the hand of the defender, the competition committee decided that it wasn't working so the clarified the rule AGAIN in 2004.

The BIG change is allowing zone defenses which DRAMATICALLY reduced driving lanes which in turn made the game less physical because man defense was no longer essentially the sole way to play effective defense in the NBA.

you can keep saying things but it doesn't make them true.

Chronz
03-25-2019, 02:45 PM

There have been several revisions to hand checking (94 or 95 being the one you missed), each one having more of a statistical impact on the league immediately thereafter to degrees greater than the zone did.

Im with him, bring back the handchecking we had in the 70's or 90's, I'd settle for the 2K era tho.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2019, 03:05 PM

stop calling hand checking.......

that better? I mean traveling is against the rules, but we all know how that goes

Scoots
03-25-2019, 05:16 PM
stop calling hand checking.......

that better? I mean traveling is against the rules, but we all know how that goes

Okay, as long as we understand that will mean going back to pre-78 rules, when the game was WAY WAY WAY less popular.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 05:18 PM
There have been several revisions to hand checking (94 or 95 being the one you missed), each one having more of a statistical impact on the league immediately thereafter to degrees greater than the zone did.

Im with him, bring back the handchecking we had in the 70's or 90's, I'd settle for the 2K era tho.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't mention it. Each time the clarification was intended to do away with hand checking. Each time it didn't work, and it still didn't work since there is still hand checking. There is just less.

If people want it back in, fine, just don't assume it's going to fix the things you have a problem with. It won't.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 05:20 PM
you can keep saying things but it doesn't make them true.

I know ... but the devaluing of the big man and the reduction of the drive to the hoop being a primary offensive tool are a result of the changes to the illegal defense rules far more than hand checking changes.

Chronz
03-25-2019, 05:52 PM
I didn't miss it, I just didn't mention it. Each time the clarification was intended to do away with hand checking. Each time it didn't work, and it still didn't work since there is still hand checking. There is just less.

If people want it back in, fine, just don't assume it's going to fix the things you have a problem with. It won't.

I disagree, each time it had its desired effect to cut down on hand checking, including when and where you could get away with it and the proof of its influence is in the numbers.

I want it back and I know it's going to fix plenty.

Chronz
03-25-2019, 05:53 PM
I know ... but the devaluing of the big man and the reduction of the drive to the hoop being a primary offensive tool are a result of the changes to the illegal defense rules far more than hand checking changes.
Its about balance, if you make the game tougher for perimeter players, big men become more viable, granted they have the skillset

Raps18-19 Champ
03-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Get rid of basket interference. Big men become very relevant again.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 06:56 PM

I'd like to do a pre-season trial of it, but I can see it really breaking the game too.

Scoots
03-25-2019, 06:59 PM
I disagree, each time it had its desired effect to cut down on hand checking, including when and where you could get away with it and the proof of its influence is in the numbers.

I want it back and I know it's going to fix plenty.

offense went down from the 80s through the 90s and 00s ... how can you attribute it to the hand check?

Scoots
03-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Its about balance, if you make the game tougher for perimeter players, big men become more viable, granted they have the skillset

Or the bigs value stays low, turnovers and frustration go up and shooting goes down.

I think the issue isn't with hand checking causing too many 3s or too many free throws, I think it's bad officiating causing the too many free throws, and too easy a shot for the 3s.

YAALREADYKNO
03-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Hand Checking easily

Scoots
03-25-2019, 08:25 PM
Hand Checking easily

You all want to go back to 1977?

LA_Raiders
03-26-2019, 12:25 AM
Very simple; use FIBA rules. The NBA is a joke now a days; itís all about offense and chucking 3s. Any player can score 50 points on any given night; and teams are scoring on the 100 every night as well. Pathetic style of game.

ewing
03-26-2019, 07:45 AM
A gotta say hand checking

Vee-Rex
03-26-2019, 10:51 AM

Ugh, you can't be serious?

Lakers + Giants
03-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Enforce traveling

kdspurman
03-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Enforce traveling

This

kdspurman
03-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Easy eliminating all replay except buzz beaters and 3s

It'd be nice if they could reply flops and overturn them. But maybe that's more about giving coaches a challenge per half/game so they can challenge when they see fit

ewing
03-26-2019, 04:15 PM
It'd be nice if they could reply flops and overturn them. But maybe that's more about giving coaches a challenge per half/game so they can challenge when they see fit

dear god that sounds terrible.

Scoots
03-26-2019, 05:19 PM

I'd rather it just count as a technical applied after the game.

Chronz
03-26-2019, 05:47 PM
offense went down from the 80s through the 90s and 00s ... how can you attribute it to the hand check?

Simple, check the effects immediately thereafter, as was suggested earlier

Chronz
03-26-2019, 05:48 PM
You all want to go back to 1977?

I think most are happy with 2000 era. But 90s would suffice

Chronz
03-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Or the bigs value stays low, turnovers and frustration go up and shooting goes down.

I think the issue isn't with hand checking causing too many 3s or too many free throws, I think it's bad officiating causing the too many free throws, and too easy a shot for the 3s.

Maybe but I don't see how, given that perimeter players will find it harder, thus allowing bigs more opportunity. As for tos and frustration, well I'd need to hear that argument for sure.

I definitely don't need to hear the argument for refs given that refs have never and will never influence efficiency the way rule changes have.

Scoots
03-26-2019, 06:52 PM
Simple, check the effects immediately thereafter, as was suggested earlier

And hand checking started in 1978 and offense went up, it crept down over time, so they clarified the rule, offense went up a little (there were other changes too), then it was clarified again, and offense went up when the 3 took over the game.

Chronz
03-26-2019, 07:07 PM
And hand checking started in 1978 and offense went up, it crept down over time, so they clarified the rule, offense went up a little (there were other changes too), then it was clarified again, and offense went up when the 3 took over the game.

Yes, so if we take away the advantages, we should expect a decline. I've stated this years ago but it holds even more true today, I congratulated the league in 2006-ish for keeping the balance but offenses(spacing/math) has gotten to the point where I feel we can go back now. 3's taking over the game simplifies things too much for me, 3's have been taken over the game back in the 2k days and have taken over completely today. Its why coaches like Pop think this isn't even basketball anymore, its more akin to street hoops (assuming you played of course). We NEED to give the defense more tools to work with, if you guys insist on going all out on offense then lets at least call ticky tack **** for the bigs, poor guys take a beating and get no whistle compared to soft jump shooters and head twitching slashers .

ewing
03-26-2019, 07:21 PM
We are getting dangerously close to someone sharing a YouTube video about ďthe wallĒ

Chronz
03-26-2019, 07:40 PM
We are getting dangerously close to someone sharing a YouTube video about ďthe wallĒ

The movie or the politcal stance?

Firefistus
03-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Enforce the offensive push-off/swipes that ALL players do now-a-days. Or enforce the pick and roll screens. Right now the players don't have to be stationary while screening, and it drives me NUTS. Especially when a player gets called for an illegal screen. It's like getting called for a holding in Football, the front line ALWAYS holds, the refs just decide what's too far and what isn't.

But the offensive push-offs are bull crap. Too many players are getting away with it now and it needs to be curtailed.

ohreally
03-26-2019, 10:40 PM
hand checking, missed three-pointers are turnovers

Scoots
03-27-2019, 12:27 AM
Yes, so if we take away the advantages, we should expect a decline. I've stated this years ago but it holds even more true today, I congratulated the league in 2006-ish for keeping the balance but offenses(spacing/math) has gotten to the point where I feel we can go back now. 3's taking over the game simplifies things too much for me, 3's have been taken over the game back in the 2k days and have taken over completely today. Its why coaches like Pop think this isn't even basketball anymore, its more akin to street hoops (assuming you played of course). We NEED to give the defense more tools to work with, if you guys insist on going all out on offense then lets at least call ticky tack **** for the bigs, poor guys take a beating and get no whistle compared to soft jump shooters and head twitching slashers .

I am for getting more balance. Stop calling offense created contact on the defense. Move the line back 3 inches and make the arc a continuous distance. Those changes will improve defense and significantly reduce the number of 3s taken.

Scoots
03-27-2019, 12:31 AM
Enforce the offensive push-off/swipes that ALL players do now-a-days. Or enforce the pick and roll screens. Right now the players don't have to be stationary while screening, and it drives me NUTS. Especially when a player gets called for an illegal screen. It's like getting called for a holding in Football, the front line ALWAYS holds, the refs just decide what's too far and what isn't.

But the offensive push-offs are bull crap. Too many players are getting away with it now and it needs to be curtailed.

If the defense creates the contact, does it give the defense an advantage? If so, then call the foul.
If the offense creates the contact, does it give the offense an advantage? If so, then call the foul.
Otherwise, play on.

On the screens, the rule is crap. Moving screens are legal in the rules. Need language to make them easy and consistent to officiate.

Chronz
03-27-2019, 12:14 PM
I am for getting more balance. Stop calling offense created contact on the defense. Move the line back 3 inches and make the arc a continuous distance. Those changes will improve defense and significantly reduce the number of 3s taken.

Move the line back? That's abit extreme, I think making the arc equal across the court would help defenses tho, that corner 3 really enhances spacing

Scoots
03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Move the line back? That's abit extreme, I think making the arc equal across the court would help defenses tho, that corner 3 really enhances spacing

But with zone defense the defender sags off that corner to the post all the time, and because bigs can shoot a high percentage from the short corner they are a threat. You move that line back and a lot fewer players can hit that shot at a high percentage meaning the defense can sag off of them more. Then if the player is a threat out there the defender will have to be closer to them which will help the post offense which you said you want. There is always a give and take.

And moving the line back 3" isn't a huge change and based on what we saw the last time the line moved back it should make a not-insignificant change to the rate 3s are attempted which I thought you said you wanted.

blahblahyoutoo
03-27-2019, 07:47 PM
4 and 5 pointers.
allow fights, with fans as well.

IndyRealist
03-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Can't believe no one has said, "shorten the regular season" yet.

Chronz
03-27-2019, 08:36 PM
But with zone defense the defender sags off that corner to the post all the time, and because bigs can shoot a high percentage from the short corner they are a threat. You move that line back and a lot fewer players can hit that shot at a high percentage meaning the defense can sag off of them more. Then if the player is a threat out there the defender will have to be closer to them which will help the post offense which you said you want. There is always a give and take.

And moving the line back 3" isn't a huge change and based on what we saw the last time the line moved back it should make a not-insignificant change to the rate 3s are attempted which I thought you said you wanted.
I think I get what you're saying, its true spacing is a bigs best friend and the shorter corner I suppose provides more of it but I think the payoff is more in favor of perimeter guys. Tho with a longer corner 3 I could see more trapping on bigs, hmm..... finding that balance is hard for sure. i guess I think that corner 3 helps slashers and perimeter guys more than it helps bigs due to the efficiency of it. If we can make life alil harder for perimeter guys for a change, it would make bigs more of a priority.

Last time we moved the 3? You mean when we put it back to its original placement? That was before the 3 had been weaponized but I think it had a pretty big effect. I gotta check the numbers again tho

Chronz
03-27-2019, 08:36 PM
4 and 5 pointers.
allow fights, with fans as well.

AHh, bring back the pre-cage days

Chronz
03-27-2019, 08:37 PM

Just legalize steroids

Heediot
03-27-2019, 09:17 PM

yeah if you make games matter more, there will be more energy/effort for defense.

Chronz
03-27-2019, 09:34 PM
yeah if you make games matter more, there will be more energy/effort for defense.

Would you do it like baseball where all the games are back2back at each others home?

ewing
03-28-2019, 05:34 AM
Would you do it like baseball where all the games are back2back at each others home?

We could pay them millions of dollars

TrueFan420
03-28-2019, 12:10 PM
We could pay them millions of dollars

Iím sure the owners would prefer to pay them in trident layers

Chronz
03-28-2019, 02:08 PM
Has anyone mentioned hand checking?

ChongInc.
03-31-2019, 09:18 PM
Robo-refs. The game will never called consistently/perfectly until refereeing is at least assisted by ai.

Worst refs in the history of sports imo. It's not a job that people can do properly. You're asking too much from any human to call these things in real human time.

ChongInc.
03-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Just legalize steroids

Bro... when was the last time someone got caught for steroids? They ARE legalised. You only get caught if you're stupid.

Think of all the borderline guys who would be getting caught if the testing was legit? You actually think NONE of the guys on the roster bubble are looking for anyway to improve their game and lock up a multi million dollar contract?

I also think they should be testing for hgh in the high-school and collegiate levels. Not sure if they are or not, but they really should be.

nastynice
04-01-2019, 08:54 PM
4 pointer

crewfan13
04-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Bro... when was the last time someone got caught for steroids? They ARE legalised. You only get caught if you're stupid.

Think of all the borderline guys who would be getting caught if the testing was legit? You actually think NONE of the guys on the roster bubble are looking for anyway to improve their game and lock up a multi million dollar contract?

I also think they should be testing for hgh in the high-school and collegiate levels. Not sure if they are or not, but they really should be.

And how do you propose hgh testing at a high school level? Typically hgh tests are done by drawing blood. Imagine the logistical nightmare of sample collection and sample storage. Then the cost of paying for labs to test high schoolers.

smith&wesson
04-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Make the court bigger, allow 6 players to play, add 4 pt line, make ally-oops 3 pts ...