PDA

View Full Version : If OKC gets bounced in the 1st round again ...

LaVar Ball
03-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Does Paul George regret re-upping with them this past summer (probably had his best season but that late season injury hurt the team morale) ?

Do the Thunder look to trade Westbrook (he just doesn't produce winning basketball and Thunder were at their best when he was the 2nd option to PG)

Do the Thunder finally admit that firing Scott Brooks and hiring a college coach in Billy Donovan was a disaster and get rid of him too?

IS IT TIME FOR OKC TO LOOK TO REBUILD ??!!

Post-KD, they have and will continue to be in basketball purgatory. Whether it's Oladipo one year or Schroder the following year, those guys will flourish elsewhere where Westbrook doesn't dominate their position.

Thoughts.

beasted86
03-23-2019, 09:30 AM
When Budenholzer was available last summer I would have instantly canned Donovan and got him instead.

The coaching is the problem. Brooks and Donavan alike are too basic in their coaching. There is not enough flex motion to their offense and not enough shooters. It's seemingly a PNR or a clear out on important possessions. Aside from KD, what other high volume 37%+ 3pt shooter has been on the Thunder in the past 10 years? Kevin Martin for like a year?

It became so bad and desperate for shooting they were relying on inconsistent Thabo to hit 3s along with forcing Ibaka out of the paint.

It's crazy all these years they couldn't get a Reddick/Korver type.

Scoots
03-23-2019, 12:00 PM
They've been in a cycle of trying to keep players and because of that have made decisions that were not really made to develop their players as much as possible. Russ is incredible, but he's got limitations and is going to be a challenge for any coach.

I think they need to keep trying to win, but not do it through too much turnover.

GREATNESS ONE
03-23-2019, 12:40 PM
They will most likely be eliminated early... they should look to make a big move in the off-season by using Adams contract + a boat load of picks.

aman_13
03-23-2019, 02:36 PM
They will be a tough out because of how hard Westbrook plays and PG is going to hit some big shots but I don't see them going very far. They just don't have enough.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Chronz
03-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Sad to say but I think they missed their window with RWB. They wasted a year with the melo experiment, now he's on the decline athletically and his jumper looks broken. Even Adam's might be passed his best days.

Still, you ride this core to the end for sure. You can't betray your fans and stars by altering course.

dhopisthename
03-23-2019, 03:44 PM
Sad to say but I think they missed their window with RWB. They wasted a year with the melo experiment, now he's on the decline athletically and his jumper looks broken. Even Adam's might be passed his best days.

Still, you ride this core to the end for sure. You can't betray your fans and stars by altering course.

its crazy for you to say that about adams when he is only 25. I think this is his peak for sure, but I don't see him declining. whats sucks is that he has 2 years left at 25.8 and 27.5 million.

As for RWB I think your are right. from 13-10-6ish win shares the past 3 years. 30 years old and is about to start making 40 million a year with a 15% trade kicker. he isn't going anywhere and because he costs so much between him and Adams they aren't going to be able to improve without a trade or singing someone for the tax payer MLE. They should be better then a road playoff team.

LakerClipperFan
03-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Westbrook is a franchise guy, can't see them trading him. He's a big box office draw! Small market teams can't afford to trade away superstar, houshold names like a russ westbrook.

tp13baby
03-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Adams is overpaid but I like his game. Westbrook shoots them out of games.

Donovan has to go though. The team is no better or worse since Brooks.

IndyRealist
03-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Adams is overpaid but I like his game. Westbrook shoots them out of games.

Donovan has to go though. The team is no better or worse since Brooks.

There are of course very good coaches (Popovich), and very bad coaches (Kidd), but the vast majority of coaches make no difference whatsoever. They implement a system that gets the ball in the hands of their star, and generally don't hamper or help their players.

Scoots
03-23-2019, 11:35 PM
There are of course very good coaches (Popovich), and very bad coaches (Kidd), but the vast majority of coaches make no difference whatsoever. They implement a system that gets the ball in the hands of their star, and generally don't hamper or help their players.

I think some part of it is also if the players fit the coach too. A coach that prefers lots of iso with a team without iso players is going to be a nightmare while the same coach with iso players can work well. Also a few players can completely undermine a coach with the whole team and then the coach can't really coach the team much at all.

On the other hand Jeff Van Gundy seems to think all contact is a foul and every coach is a great coach. :)

LaVar Ball
03-24-2019, 02:35 AM
When Budenholzer was available last summer I would have instantly canned Donovan and got him instead.

The coaching is the problem. Brooks and Donavan alike are too basic in their coaching. There is not enough flex motion to their offense and not enough shooters. It's seemingly a PNR or a clear out on important possessions. Aside from KD, what other high volume 37%+ 3pt shooter has been on the Thunder in the past 10 years? Kevin Martin for like a year?

It became so bad and desperate for shooting they were relying on inconsistent Thabo to hit 3s along with forcing Ibaka out of the paint.

It's crazy all these years they couldn't get a Reddick/Korver type.

Great post. I think Sam Presti gets way too much praise as a GM but it seems that they haven't gotten consistent 3 pt threats.

Also, it's been a shame how they let go of Sefolosha and tried to replace him with a younger version in Alvin Roberson who can't even stay healthy or damn can't even get on the friggin court.

What a failure Presti has been. The hiring of Donovan was horrible.

Saddletramp
03-24-2019, 04:53 AM
Westbrook is a franchise guy, can't see them trading him. He's a big box office draw! Small market teams can't afford to trade away superstar, houshold names like a russ westbrook.

This plus RWB was as loyal as anyone has ever been. He could’ve jumped ship after Durant left but he convinced PG to stay.

Yeah, they’ll never trade him (that money + trade kicker might make it impossible anyway).

More-Than-Most
03-24-2019, 05:02 AM
Seriously RWB just needs to take a page out of ben simmons playbook... I am not even kidding. Everyone seems to think Ben should just shoot shoot and shoot even though he clearly doesnt feelt comfortable but is working on it... He sticks to his game and helps the team and he is amazing... If Ben Simmons was on the thunder over RWB I bet you they would be a better team because of his defense and his understanding of his limitations. I love Russ... I have argued for russ for years because of his trip/doubs but this year he has been terrible at shooting and basically gives no ****s and keeps shooting and it hurts his team... If he focused on defense and visions/passing/rebounding and left the shooting to everyone else this okc team would be legit a contender... But he wont ever allow that.

beasted86
03-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Seriously RWB just needs to take a page out of ben simmons playbook... I am not even kidding. Everyone seems to think Ben should just shoot shoot and shoot even though he clearly doesnt feelt comfortable but is working on it... He sticks to his game and helps the team and he is amazing... If Ben Simmons was on the thunder over RWB I bet you they would be a better team because of his defense and his understanding of his limitations. I love Russ... I have argued for russ for years because of his trip/doubs but this year he has been terrible at shooting and basically gives no ****s and keeps shooting and it hurts his team... If he focused on defense and visions/passing/rebounding and left the shooting to everyone else this okc team would be legit a contender... But he wont ever allow that.

You talk as though he's always been a garbage shooter like Simmons.

Something happened over the past year. It's evidenced in his FT shooting. A guy who was consistently over 80% fell to 73% last year and a shockingly bad 65% FT this year. I don't watch them enough to know of any hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder injury he's had but something is off.

If it was him losing athleticism like was earlier suggested in this thread, yes, maybe his jumper and 3 would plummet but the FT % wouldn't be affected as drastically.

goingfor28
03-24-2019, 11:33 AM
If only they had 2 other stars like KD and Harden to pair with Westbrook...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LaVar Ball
03-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sam Presti GM of the decade !!! :clap:

Overrated nerd of a GM!

Scoots
03-24-2019, 01:29 PM

We don't know what the owner was telling him. GMs don't stay working very long if they throw the real culprit, the owner, under the bus.