PDA

View Full Version : Stark contrast between Magic-West (Audio)

Chronz
03-21-2019, 11:45 PM
I know we've been ******** on the Lakers lately but this mashup of 2 Legends is making waves. Heres just the vid:
https://mobile.twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1108732703573188608

Heres the article I got it from

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-video-jerry-west-vs-magic-johnson-mash-up-shows-stark-difference-of-clippers-vs-lakers-front-office/

Thoughts?

lakerfan85
03-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Magic is my favorite Laker player of all time but he ****ing sucks at running a team as a member of the front office..

Bostonjorge
03-22-2019, 12:27 AM
Magic has one year with the lakers and signed James and has cap room for the greatest free agent class ever. Lakers also have a chance at a top 3 pick. Let’s wait till next year before we say he failed.

AntiG
03-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Magic has never come off as the brightest bulb out there anyway...

Redrum187
03-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Magic has one year with the lakers and signed James and has cap room for the greatest free agent class ever. Lakers also have a chance at a top 3 pick. Let’s wait till next year before we say he failed.

You're not wrong... however, if the Lakers get a superstar or not, how does this mitigate the terrible decisions he's made so far or his lack of insight of how a team is to be constructed? Even if Kevin Durant joins the Lakers, they could have had an even stronger team if he didn't make terrible decision after terrible decision.

Furthermore, Magic's reputation (which is probably worse than his T Cell count) as a GM relies more on luck than his actual "expertise" and vision. If the Lakers build a championship team next season, it won't be BECAUSE of Magic, it'll be IN SPITE of Magic.

GiantsSwaGG
03-22-2019, 12:59 PM
https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1108844817654734848?s=21

Scoots
03-22-2019, 01:35 PM
Someone here said they had total faith in Magic months ago and I answered "Why?" He wasn't certain to fail any more than he was certain to succeed.

But to defend Magic he was in a very tough position with a fan base expecting to win without a teardown/rebuild then adding LeBron locked them in to one style of play that obviously was not going to fit their coach, and LeBron doesn't like playing with young players so that was another obvious difficulty, then the team not wanting to sign ANY contracts beyond a year for flexibility that they never really had a chance at getting players that could make a difference. Basically, as soon as LeBron was in Magic was screwed ... not that he's handled it all that well.

Chronz
03-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Someone here said they had total faith in Magic months ago and I answered "Why?" He wasn't certain to fail any more than he was certain to succeed.

But to defend Magic he was in a very tough position with a fan base expecting to win without a teardown/rebuild then adding LeBron locked them in to one style of play that obviously was not going to fit their coach, and LeBron doesn't like playing with young players so that was another obvious difficulty, then the team not wanting to sign ANY contracts beyond a year for flexibility that they never really had a chance at getting players that could make a difference. Basically, as soon as LeBron was in Magic was screwed ... not that he's handled it all that well.

The plan was always to try and nab a secondary star for Bron, he never cared about Waltons system that produced zilch throughout his tenure(Walton wasn't his hire, he was simply brought in to develop the babies and hopefully become Brad Stevens lite).

They just jumped the gun when AD became available, something they didn't do for PG, Kawhi, Butler etc... I think the trade talk wouldve been fine but the injuries to Ball and Ingram when both were finally rounding into form is what might be most missed unless they gain some ground/luck in the lottery game. Now IDK what to make of the unit. Early in the year it looked like Bron and Ingram were just unplayable but he was turning it on most with Bron towards the end there. Ball was a much better compliment to Bron than Rondo, who was injured all year and never expected to really contribute until the loffs, he was never meant to start.

They didn't just sign 1 year guys, they signed the wrong guys and lost key pieces with nothing to show for it, you can run whatever system you want, you cant ignore the realities of todays game and the meme team wasn't up for it. The youth was actually starting to gel with LeBron. I do like Rondo as a reserve tho.

Chronz
03-22-2019, 03:29 PM
https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1108844817654734848?s=21

LOL, it all went south so quickly

valade16
03-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Magic's roster construction is what happens when the old guard who still is resistant to advanced stats or the modern game gets to run a team. Every now and then you'll hear a rumor of some team being interested in Charles Barkley to be a GM and I can't even begin to imagine the trainwreck that would be.

GREATNESS ONE
03-22-2019, 09:32 PM
Man all you guys do in this forum is talk ish on the Lakers.... no wonder we the best and all the other forums just come in here snickering away and laugh... yet all your teams will not win the Championship... well except the bandwagon asterisk fans.

ewing
03-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Magic's roster construction is what happens when the old guard who still is resistant to advanced stats or the modern game gets to run a team. Every now and then you'll hear a rumor of some team being interested in Charles Barkley to be a GM and I can't even begin to imagine the trainwreck that would be.

old people are stupid. All the greats GMs are under 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostonjorge
03-22-2019, 10:04 PM
You can’t hold drafts against teams. Every team in history has passed up on Kobe, Curry, Green of Greek ect... So Lakers not drafting Tatum is the luck of the lottery. Tatum climbed the draft and everyone had Jackson going #3. That doesn’t make Magic a bad basketball mind.

Also trading Russel is what’s giving LA cap room for this free agent class. Russel looks good but Ball can shut him down.

Also all this talk about no star wanting to play with James is just a distraction that the biggest star the Brow is forcing his way to play in LA and sign long term. After the lottery selection Magic will yell “Dominoes”.

Scoots
03-22-2019, 11:55 PM
The plan was always to try and nab a secondary star for Bron, he never cared about Waltons system that produced zilch throughout his tenure(Walton wasn't his hire, he was simply brought in to develop the babies and hopefully become Brad Stevens lite).

They just jumped the gun when AD became available, something they didn't do for PG, Kawhi, Butler etc... I think the trade talk wouldve been fine but the injuries to Ball and Ingram when both were finally rounding into form is what might be most missed unless they gain some ground/luck in the lottery game. Now IDK what to make of the unit. Early in the year it looked like Bron and Ingram were just unplayable but he was turning it on most with Bron towards the end there. Ball was a much better compliment to Bron than Rondo, who was injured all year and never expected to really contribute until the loffs, he was never meant to start.

They didn't just sign 1 year guys, they signed the wrong guys and lost key pieces with nothing to show for it, you can run whatever system you want, you cant ignore the realities of todays game and the meme team wasn't up for it. The youth was actually starting to gel with LeBron. I do like Rondo as a reserve tho.

My point was more that their obvious plan to not sign more than 1 year guys meant they lost out on players that would have fit better but who wanted more than 1 year.

LakerClipperFan
03-22-2019, 11:55 PM
Magic landed LABron the best player in the world. He's OK in my book.

Scoots
03-23-2019, 12:28 AM
Also all this talk about no star wanting to play with James is just a distraction that the biggest star the Brow is forcing his way to play in LA and sign long term. After the lottery selection Magic will yell “Dominoes”.

Can't say it's true until it actually happens. People said the same thing about Kawhi and PG.

GREATNESS ONE
03-23-2019, 12:48 AM
Haters gon hate

SiteWolf
03-24-2019, 08:16 AM

Magic didn't land him, Hollywood did.

ewing
03-24-2019, 08:20 AM

He not the best player in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk