PDA

View Full Version : Wait, who won the Gasol-Val trade again?

Chronz
03-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Haven't followed the Raptors since the trade but I don't think they've lit the world on fire since, I do know their assist rates have increased since.

On the other side, the grizz have been surprisingly competitive and jonas is still putting up monster numbers.

Have the Raptors missed his offense? Did both teams win?

Heediot
03-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Memphis won. I don't think Toronto lost, but Memphis came out on top.

Memphis can re-up him for the rebuild.

I think Toronto is roughly the same or slightly better with Marc. In the long run, Gasol seems like a guy that would re-up for very cheap after his mid 30's. Raps were probably not re-upping all the guys they traded. There might have been a chance they re-sign Jonas, if they fail to re-up Kawhi though. But they are planning with Kawhi there long term and Jonas was going to eat up some needed cap and make the luxury tax issues more complicated.

Heediot
03-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Marc's foot speed get exposed at times and his offense is inconsistent as it was in Memphis. His looks and shots probably went down because Raps have more weapons around him. I think his ability to create in the half court will pay dividend in the playoffs. He can still defend in ways because of his mind and court sense, but like I said some times his feet can't keep up with his brain.

Jamiecballer
03-17-2019, 07:31 PM
Haven't followed the Raptors since the trade but I don't think they've lit the world on fire since, I do know their assist rates have increased since.

On the other side, the grizz have been surprisingly competitive and jonas is still putting up monster numbers.

Have the Raptors missed his offense? Did both teams win?I liked this trade for the grizz from day one. Gasol is way past his best days.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Bostonjorge
03-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Val trade opened it up for Siakam whoís Torontoís best offensive big.

TakeYourL
03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Playoffs will decide this tbh.

Gasol helps them make the jump and none of this other stuff matters.

aman_13
03-17-2019, 08:50 PM
At this point I'm hoping this trade pays off come playoff time.

They miss his efficiency on the offensive end more than anything and also his rebounding. Masai rarely loses trades; he might have lost this one.

aman_13
03-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Siakam has been doing great all year.

smith&wesson
03-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Have the Raptors missed his offense? Did both teams win?

As a Raptors fan I feel we lost the trade hands down... Memphis made a great trade, Gasol looks like a role player off the bench and even in that role Jonas was way better. I donít think Gasol can jump over a text book

smith&wesson
03-19-2019, 11:05 AM
At this point I'm hoping this trade pays off come playoff time.

They miss his efficiency on the offensive end more than anything and also his rebounding. Masai rarely loses trades; he might have lost this one.

He def lost this one.... Gasol makes 25 mill and gives you half the production Jonas does with 14 mill

smith&wesson
03-19-2019, 11:06 AM

Siakam is a 4, Jonas is a 5, neither of them were taking mins away from one another.

smith&wesson
03-19-2019, 11:07 AM
I liked this trade for the grizz from day one. Gasol is way past his best days.

+1

smith&wesson
03-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Memphis won. I don't think Toronto lost, but Memphis came out on top.

Memphis can re-up him for the rebuild.

I think Toronto is roughly the same or slightly better with Marc. In the long run, Gasol seems like a guy that would re-up for very cheap after his mid 30's. Raps were probably not re-upping all the guys they traded. There might have been a chance they re-sign Jonas, if they fail to re-up Kawhi though. But they are planning with Kawhi there long term and Jonas was going to eat up some needed cap and make the luxury tax issues more complicated.

Gasol is already in his mid 30ís. Heís 34 and has a player option for 25 mill next year.

smith&wesson
03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Iím looking for Gasol to come off the bench and lead that 2nd unit. Our bench has been terrible and my hope is that Gasol can give them a boost with his play making ability. We just got Fred back too, the two of them are basically our entire bench along with OG. Lin needs to be out of the rotation all together heís trash

Chronz
03-19-2019, 12:50 PM
I apologize for saying the word since like 3 times in one stanza.

Also, idk what stanza means but my drunk self thinks it works here

R. Johnson#3
03-19-2019, 03:58 PM
I was an avid JV fan and got excited about this trade the moment it went down. I'm getting less and less excited with each passing day though. JV was consistent, reliable offence and rebounding. Gasol has been up and down on both ends of the floor since he's come over. He's not the defensive stalwart he once was but that was expected.

It's going to come down to the playoffs and I trust that Nick Nurse will realize that Gasol needs to come off the bench. He's more talented than Ibaka but his talents would be much more useful with that 2nd unit. JV's production took a hit when he came off the bench and so does Ibaka's. Gasol's definitely does too but he's more of a playmaker than both of those guys which is what our 2nd unit really needs.

Basically his playmaking and defence will need to take a big step up come playoff time. If he can get a little more consistent with the scoring then that's a bonus. If he doesn't, then this may be Masai's first real L because that 25 mil will not be fun to have next year.

Bostonjorge
03-21-2019, 12:29 AM
Siakam has been balling since the trade. Gasol trade was most likely to have a big body for Embiid.

Cal827
03-21-2019, 12:33 AM
Siakam has been balling since the trade. Gasol trade was most likely to have a big body for Embiid.

The odd thing is, that at least from the games I've seen. JV has stood his own or outplayed Embiid. Of course I'm not sure if he could persist for a 7 game series, but he seems to step it up against the opposing bigs (Especially in cases where they say the other guy has a big advantage e.g. A few years ago against Whiteside before they both got hurt).

I'm happy that people are recognizing JV's ability though. We'll see what happens in the post season, cause I feel Gasol gives the team the bigger chance to go farther (as we could play him in other situations, like the Bucks or Celtics). Essentially Boom or Bust for us.

Heediot
03-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Gasol is already in his mid 30ís. Heís 34 and has a player option for 25 mill next year.

I feel you, that's what I mean after he opt in for another year, he'll be the type of dude that won't get greedy/snake like like those Banana boat boys. Wade played Chicago for the money. I see Gasol signing a friendly deal if he likes Toronto or a friendly deal with another contender. You might even see him restructure the contract like his bro, Timmy, Dirk and those type of guys and not take the full opt in. Although I expect him to opt in.

I think with Jonas in Memphis, he has the green light. For the past half decade he had to play 3rd to 5th fiddle which effected his output and development (or what we see from it). He is showing everyone what he is capable of on offense. Good for him. If he had Marc's IQ, he'd be dominant on both ends (or at least above average on D). Even if Jonas was here still, he'd be putting up the same numbers pre injury and not the ones you see in Memphis. So we have to gauge the trade for the Raptors through that aspect. I definitely agree Memphis won the trade though.

We will see though, it doesn't mater what happens in the regular season. We've seen DD and Kyle put up allstars numbers and then slip a bunch when it matters. Let's hope Marc can elevate the team in ways when it matters.

Jamiecballer
03-21-2019, 08:00 AM
His numbers are essentially the same adjusted for more mins on the court. He is doing what he did in Toronto.

FlakeyFool
03-21-2019, 08:18 AM
extends the "window" another year after kawhi leaves. Masai has been trying to trade him for the past few years now

Heediot
03-21-2019, 08:24 AM
His numbers are essentially the same adjusted for more mins on the court. He is doing what he did in Toronto.

interesting... I still feel he is better maximized elsewhere.

zn23
03-21-2019, 09:26 AM
This was a huge blunder by Masai.

JV was having a career year with the raps. Maybe it was due to a contract year, Who knows? He was always consistently solid, and then this season he raised his game and now he's tearing it up with the Grizz.

He's playing as well as he played for the Raps right now for Grizz. Gasol is playing pretty much the same as well, except he's declining as a player.

Heediot
03-21-2019, 09:30 AM
I think Jonas expires next year.

aman_13
03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Here is the thing about Val though, he can't do what Marc did last night. The Raptors needed his playmaking ability to take some pressure off Kawhi and Lowry. That's why they made the trade.

As long as he's making reads, spreading the floor and hitting threes, the Raptors got what they wanted.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

zn23
03-21-2019, 02:17 PM
I think Jonas expires next year.

He's got a player option next season, as does Gasol.

I think the expectation was that he was going to opt out and become a free agent where he could've gotten $20M/year if he wanted.

smith&wesson
03-21-2019, 04:14 PM
He's got a player option next season, as does Gasol.

I think the expectation was that he was going to opt out and become a free agent where he could've gotten $20M/year if he wanted.

He will probably opt out to get more money.

smith&wesson
03-21-2019, 04:17 PM
I feel you, that's what I mean after he opt in for another year, he'll be the type of dude that won't get greedy/snake like like those Banana boat boys. Wade played Chicago for the money. I see Gasol signing a friendly deal if he likes Toronto or a friendly deal with another contender. You might even see him restructure the contract like his bro, Timmy, Dirk and those type of guys and not take the full opt in. Although I expect him to opt in.

I think with Jonas in Memphis, he has the green light. For the past half decade he had to play 3rd to 5th fiddle which effected his output and development (or what we see from it). He is showing everyone what he is capable of on offense. Good for him. If he had Marc's IQ, he'd be dominant on both ends (or at least above average on D). Even if Jonas was here still, he'd be putting up the same numbers pre injury and not the ones you see in Memphis. So we have to gauge the trade for the Raptors through that aspect. I definitely agree Memphis won the trade though.

We will see though, it doesn't mater what happens in the regular season. We've seen DD and Kyle put up allstars numbers and then slip a bunch when it matters. Let's hope Marc can elevate the team in ways when it matters.

yeah but Jonas always came up big in the playoffs.. If he opts out I hope we can sign him, and maybe restructure gasols deal. That's unlikely though.

Jamiecballer
03-21-2019, 05:47 PM
yeah but Jonas always came up big in the playoffs.. If he opts out I hope we can sign him, and maybe restructure gasols deal. That's unlikely though.Me too

Eagles4Lyfe
03-24-2019, 10:25 AM
:laugh: so typical people creaming themselves because they stare at empty numbers he's producing on a bottom feeder and think he's sick.

The man still sucks defensively. Jonas if given the chance always can put up double doubles but his defense is atrocious.

I love the trade and would still do the trade now knowing what we still know.
Some teams going to pay him 20M and suffer. I hope Gasol opts in because I highly doubt any team will give him.20M and we trade him at deadline if Kawhi leaves.

smith&wesson
03-24-2019, 10:43 AM
:laugh: so typical people creaming themselves because they stare at empty numbers he's producing on a bottom feeder and think he's sick.

The man still sucks defensively. Jonas if given the chance always can put up double doubles but his defense is atrocious.

Some teams going to pay him 20M and suffer. I hope Gasol opts in because I highly doubt any team will give him.20M and we trade him at deadline if Kawhi leaves.

Heís owed 25 million next year obviously heís going to opt in ...

Chronz
03-24-2019, 03:00 PM

They've been traded for each other, we can see how each has produced on each other's team. I don't get your point, whos helped both teams more in your view?

Jamiecballer
03-24-2019, 07:32 PM
[emoji23] so typical people creaming themselves because they stare at empty numbers he's producing on a bottom feeder and think he's sick.

Some teams going to pay him 20M and suffer. I hope Gasol opts in because I highly doubt any team will give him.20M and we trade him at deadline if Kawhi leaves.Get a clue. His number are essentially identical to his numbers year in year out for a "top feeder" - adjusted for the increase of 7 mpg lmao

Jamiecballer
03-24-2019, 07:34 PM
They've been traded for each other, we can see how each has produced on each other's team. I don't get your point, whos helped both teams more in your view?For context this guy used to be a regular on the raptors forum until his neverending Masai Ujiri sucks comments became too embarrassing even for him

zn23
03-25-2019, 11:00 PM
JV just had another monster game and completely dominated Steven Adams.

I think we have to get real about the trade - it wasn't good.

Gasol has been OK. Not terrible, not great, but JV coming off the bench gave the raps an edge over the other teams. Hard to trade a guy who's young and having a career year.

aman_13
03-26-2019, 12:48 AM
JV just had another monster game and completely dominated Steven Adams.

I think we have to get real about the trade - it wasn't good.

Gasol has been OK. Not terrible, not great, but JV coming off the bench gave the raps an edge over the other teams. Hard to trade a guy who's young and having a career year.

They lost the trade on paper but Gasol gives them that much needed playmaking the elite teams like the Warriors get from the 4 or 5. He changes the offense and makes them less predictable. The Raptors have significantly increased their assist percentage since the trade and are now actually starting to look for him to create.

As long he's stretching teams out with his 3 point shooting, playing decent defense (sometimes really good) and creating for others, he gives the Raptors what they have been missing for years from that position.

Rivera
03-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Gasol was traded for the playoffs. We will know the true value for the Raps come playoff time. People forget the game slows down come playoff time and teams are forced to run more halfcourt sets. This is where Gasol can shine. Hes a better team defender than JV, hes a better passer than JV, and I believe hes a better screen setter than JV.

Before I call Gasol completley washed, I need to see him for why he was brought in. JV cannot create or pass from the high post like Gasol can. Gasol in the high post opens up the floor way more for Toronto than JV did and granted, JV did get better as a shooter but their skills sets are not equal and their roles on the floor are not equal

aman_13
03-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Gasol was traded for the playoffs. We will know the true value for the Raps come playoff time. People forget the game slows down come playoff time and teams are forced to run more halfcourt sets. This is where Gasol can shine. Hes a better team defender than JV, hes a better passer than JV, and I believe hes a better screen setter than JV.

Before I call Gasol completley washed, I need to see him for why he was brought in. JV cannot create or pass from the high post like Gasol can. Gasol in the high post opens up the floor way more for Toronto than JV did and granted, JV did get better as a shooter but their skills sets are not equal and their roles on the floor are not equal+1

Chronz
03-26-2019, 08:12 PM
What exactly are you guys expecting from Gasol this post season? Team wise, individually? Cuz Im not gonna lie, this is giving me wierd Zubac for stretch-5 vibes

aman_13
03-26-2019, 08:49 PM
What exactly are you guys expecting from Gasol this post season? Team wise, individually? Cuz Im not gonna lie, this is giving me wierd Zubac for stretch-5 vibes

I think he's already showing it. The Raptors are cutting and moving without the ball more than before. The turnovers have actually increased because they are so pass happy. The Raptors have been critisized for years because they play a predictable style of basketball and because they over rely on the backcourt. The offense is as diversified as i can remember. I think fans look at his counting stats and think he's not producing or not contributing but he's made a difference. The rebounding concerns are fair though.

aman_13
03-31-2019, 05:35 PM
Got this from another board but i thought i share this here for discussion purposes.

Here are where the Raps rank when Gasol is on the court:

114.8 ortg (1st)
102.0 drtg (1st)
12.8 net rtg (1st)
68.2 ast% (1st)
59.0 efg% (1st)
62.1 TS% (1st)
50.2 fg% (1st)
42.4 3fg% (1st)

Chronz
03-31-2019, 06:25 PM
Got this from another board but i thought i share this here for discussion purposes.

114.8 ortg (1st)
102.0 drtg (1st)
12.8 net rtg (1st)
68.2 ast% (1st)
59.0 efg% (1st)
62.1 TS% (1st)
50.2 fg% (1st)
42.4 3fg% (1st)
Good lord you guys might be right. Win win trade ?

zn23
03-31-2019, 08:07 PM

114.8 ortg (1st)
102.0 drtg (1st)
12.8 net rtg (1st)
68.2 ast% (1st)
59.0 efg% (1st)
62.1 TS% (1st)
50.2 fg% (1st)
42.4 3fg% (1st)

Interesting....

IndyRealist
03-31-2019, 08:37 PM

114.8 ortg (1st)
102.0 drtg (1st)
12.8 net rtg (1st)
68.2 ast% (1st)
59.0 efg% (1st)
62.1 TS% (1st)
50.2 fg% (1st)
42.4 3fg% (1st)

While those numbers are accurate, I'm confused as to where the rank comes from? Are they comparing -only- when Gasol is on the floor vs. other teams' whole game averages, including when they play bench players? Regardless, they seem to be better with Gasol on the floor, which is really the only takeaway from this. I don't know how that compares to when JV was there.

Jamiecballer
03-31-2019, 09:09 PM
Quality of competition should be considered too. We have played through an insanely easy portion of our schedule for the same time period.

And yeah the rank does require explains

aman_13
03-31-2019, 11:15 PM
While those numbers are accurate, I'm confused as to where the rank comes from? Are they comparing -only- when Gasol is on the floor vs. other teams' whole game averages, including when they play bench players? Regardless, they seem to be better with Gasol on the floor, which is really the only takeaway from this. I don't know how that compares to when JV was there.

He's been starting recently but yes there is missing information. However, they have looked noticablly better as Gasol has gotten more comfortable. They are almost running their entire offense through him and it is looking as balanced and diversified as i can remember. Gasol's passing makes them very unpredictable. He's also improved a lot on the other end.

aman_13
03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
Good lord you guys might be right. Win win trade ?

I think so.

aman_13
03-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Quality of competition should be considered too. We have played through an insanely easy portion of our schedule for the same time period.

And yeah the rank does require explains

I thought he looked quiet impressive against OKC even when he wasn't scoring. Honestly, i'm just amazed at how quickly they have changed their offense and is it any coincidence that their three point shooting has considerabbly improved since the AS break? I think part of it has to do with the looks they are getting and the manner in which they are getting them.

Jamiecballer
04-01-2019, 02:31 PM
I thought he looked quiet impressive against OKC even when he wasn't scoring. Honestly, i'm just amazed at how quickly they have changed their offense and is it any coincidence that their three point shooting has considerabbly improved since the AS break? I think part of it has to do with the looks they are getting and the manner in which they are getting them.Yeah, I agree. My reticence over this move centered mainly on how he would be used, I didnt see them using him as effectively as they are now doing offensively. I thought they would waste his passing and that has nor been the case

R. Johnson#3
04-01-2019, 03:07 PM
I thought he looked quiet impressive against OKC even when he wasn't scoring. Honestly, i'm just amazed at how quickly they have changed their offense and is it any coincidence that their three point shooting has considerabbly improved since the AS break? I think part of it has to do with the looks they are getting and the manner in which they are getting them.

I agree. It definitely took a little while but he's settled in nicely. He's definitely not the rebounder or inside scorer that JV is but his passing and playmaking has done so much for everyone else. When Gasol does a pick and pop we always have cutters now. If he attacks and the help comes he usually finds the kick out. With JV you just had to close out and not bite on his pump fake.

ewing
04-27-2019, 10:03 PM
This was a huge blunder by Masai.

JV was having a career year with the raps. Maybe it was due to a contract year, Who knows? He was always consistently solid, and then this season he raised his game and now he's tearing it up with the Grizz.

He's playing as well as he played for the Raps right now for Grizz. Gasol is playing pretty much the same as well, except he's declining as a player.

This take is not aging well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Johnson#3
04-27-2019, 10:04 PM
I think this was one of those rare trades where everybody won.

ewing
04-27-2019, 11:32 PM
I think this was one of those rare trades where everybody won.

I would say it doesnít have loser bc the Griz were going no where but the Raps made them much more legit rn imo

zn23
04-28-2019, 01:22 AM
I would say it doesnít have loser bc the Griz were going no where but the Raps made them much more legit rn imo

In the long term it will benefit the Grizz, cause Gasol likely only has 1 or 2 more years. Right now, especially if Gasol can stop Embiid for this series, it will look like a trade where both teams won. I firmly stand behind that Grizz got the better part of the deal.

R. Johnson#3
04-28-2019, 02:27 AM
In the long term it will benefit the Grizz, cause Gasol likely only has 1 or 2 more years. Right now, especially if Gasol can stop Embiid for this series, it will look like a trade where both teams won. I firmly stand behind that Grizz got the better part of the deal.

In the long term yes. They now have a C who they can continue to build a young team around. The Raps got their veteran defensive big man to try and win now. JV clearly puts more up on the stat sheet. Gasol has opened up so much more for everyone on offence while really locking down on defence so far this post season.

ewing
04-28-2019, 04:34 AM
In the long term yes. They now have a C who they can continue to build a young team around. The Raps got their veteran defensive big man to try and win now. JV clearly puts more up on the stat sheet. Gasol has opened up so much more for everyone on offence while really locking down on defence so far this post season.

The young center they can build around is named Jackson. If they treat Val as a building block they will have lost. Imo the best they can do is not lose.

Chronz
04-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Embiid was bodied, completely flummoxed by Gasol. He might be the difference maker his older brother once was for the Lakers. We'll see what Val does but if Gasol can cancel out an mvp talent and get them past Horford or his brother in the next round, it's forever a win for Toronto

Heediot
04-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Chemistry and spacing matters as exemplified by the sixers who the talent.

Jonas would of gave less spacing and chemistry vs. Marc. Jonas may be better off in Memphis and Marc brings the glue guy cohesive element to the Raps. Jonas is younger, but the Raps need the chemistry and cohesion as contenders right now.

I think Gasol is going to re-up for cheap and give the Raps a discount when his contract is up. Probably MLE style salary. His mind should help him age decently aka Duncan.

Jonas can put up more volume on the Grizz which makes his box score numbers look prettier. He is what he is though a solid player to above average. He can make more oney elsewhere to boot, so thats good for him in a financial sense. Raps couldn't afford him long term at a certain price anyway.

Both teams won, but if Raps make the finals. I give them the edge, not saying Grizz lost. At first I thought the Grizz won and Raps didn't lose, but I'm flipping that. The Chemistry and time together had made the Raps look well oiled on both sides.

mike_noodles
04-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Don't you guys think the "build around Val" ship has sailed? He's not basketball young anymore.

R. Johnson#3
04-28-2019, 11:56 AM
The young center they can build around is named Jackson. If they treat Val as a building block they will have lost. Imo the best they can do is not lose.

I mean Jackson was playing the 4 beside Gasol when he was there. If you pair them up in the frontcourt they could be a pretty solid combo. Jackson has the ability to play the 4 or 5 while JV can really only give you minutes at the 5.

ewing
04-28-2019, 12:01 PM
I mean Jackson was playing the 4 beside Gasol when he was there. If you pair them up in the frontcourt they could be a pretty solid combo. Jackson has the ability to play the 4 or 5 while JV can really only give you minutes at the 5.

Val is going to want to get paid. I think
he is a plodder and part time player. I think the Grizz would be smart to part ways and go with the younger more versatile guy

R. Johnson#3
04-28-2019, 04:13 PM
Val is going to want to get paid. I think
he is a plodder and part time player. I think the Grizz would be smart to part ways and go with the younger more versatile guy

If he exercises his player option then goes on to play 28 minutes a game while putting up 15 shots then yes, he will get paid. Jonas is a team guy though and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a bit of a deal especially because Memphis is finally giving him the minutes and looks (MAJOR EMPHASIS ON LOOKS) he deserves.

JV has made strides with his defence. He's still flawed but not nearly as flawed as he was say 3 years ago. He also never had a solid defensive 4 beside him in Toronto. Amir Johnson couldn't defend nor could Luis Scola, Patrick Patterson was a great perimeter defender as a 4 but no help on the inside, Serge Ibaka can't play the 4 in todays NBA. Pascal was fitting in nicely with him at the start prior to his injury though. My point is that a player like Jaren Jackson Jr is probably one of the best options to put beside JV in the front court especially if that 3pt shot develops.

As for offence, JV is probably one of the best kept secrets in the NBA when it comes to offence. I'm confident that everyone will find this out next year if he continues to get the looks he was getting after the trade.

Cal827
04-28-2019, 11:53 PM
If he exercises his player option then goes on to play 28 minutes a game while putting up 15 shots then yes, he will get paid. Jonas is a team guy though and I wouldn't be surprised if he took a bit of a deal especially because Memphis is finally giving him the minutes and looks (MAJOR EMPHASIS ON LOOKS) he deserves.

JV has made strides with his defence. He's still flawed but not nearly as flawed as he was say 3 years ago. He also never had a solid defensive 4 beside him in Toronto. Amir Johnson couldn't defend nor could Luis Scola, Patrick Patterson was a great perimeter defender as a 4 but no help on the inside, Serge Ibaka can't play the 4 in todays NBA. Pascal was fitting in nicely with him at the start prior to his injury though. My point is that a player like Jaren Jackson Jr is probably one of the best options to put beside JV in the front court especially if that 3pt shot develops.

As for offence, JV is probably one of the best kept secrets in the NBA when it comes to offence. I'm confident that everyone will find this out next year if he continues to get the looks he was getting after the trade.

^ I still remember when he shut down Embiid in a game, and scored like 25 on him this season :laugh2:

Rivera
05-13-2019, 10:43 AM
i am doubling down on this. Look at Embiids numbers for the whole series. We can say what we want he was sick, hurt etc, his numbers are what they are for the 7 game series. Look at KL and how he was able to operate anywhere on the floor because Gasol was able to strech the floor, something Val cannot do like Gasol.

The reason the Raps traded for Gasol was the playoffs and that series.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 10:45 AM
i am doubling down on this. Look at Embiids numbers for the whole series. We can say what we want he was sick, hurt etc, his numbers are what they are for the 7 game series. Look at KL and how he was able to operate anywhere on the floor because Gasol was able to strech the floor, something Val cannot do like Gasol.

The reason the Raps traded for Gasol was the playoffs and that series.

Facts but the little basketball minds here wonít comprehend for the most part. Great post!

R. Johnson#3
05-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Yeah Iím not sure if JV could do that good of a job denying Embiid post position for 7 straight games. Gasol didnít let Vuc or Embiid set up inside.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Iím not hearing any excuses for Embiid either because history backs that Gasol gives him trouble.

Jamiecballer
05-13-2019, 11:32 AM

The reason the Raps traded for Gasol was the playoffs and that series.My confidence is moving strongly in the opposite direction of yours. For a team that came out on top we played poorly, and I think Gasol was especially poor. I dont give a **** about the past. That version of Embiid was 50% of his capabilities and offered little resistance. Meanwhile Gasols awful rebounding and his playing hot potato with the basketball is driving me absolutely crazy. Plus he got killed in the pick and roll. I'm not saying anything about what Jonas and Delon would have done, only that I think this team is performing quite poorly and Gasol is someone I would like to see elsewhere next year.

Jamiecballer
05-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Iím not hearing any excuses for Embiid either because history backs that Gasol gives him trouble.Why am I not surprised. Instead of judging based on what actually occurred you are judging today on things that happened another time.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Why am I not surprised. Instead of judging based on what actually occurred you are judging today on things that happened another time.

Gasol shut down Embiid his entire career in the past and in the present. Whatís the one common thing here? Gasol.

Not surprised youíre sticking up for a role player being better than an actual all star player though.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 11:39 AM
My confidence is moving strongly in the opposite direction of yours. For a team that came out on top we played poorly, and I think Gasol was especially poor. I dont give a **** about the past. That version of Embiid was 50% of his capabilities and offered little resistance. Meanwhile Gasols awful rebounding and his playing hot potato with the basketball is driving me absolutely crazy. Plus he got killed in the pick and roll. I'm not saying anything about what Jonas and Delon would have done, only that I think this team is performing quite poorly and Gasol is someone I would like to see elsewhere next year.

So Embiid just got good this year?

Rivera
05-13-2019, 11:54 AM
My confidence is moving strongly in the opposite direction of yours. For a team that came out on top we played poorly, and I think Gasol was especially poor. I dont give a **** about the past. That version of Embiid was 50% of his capabilities and offered little resistance. Meanwhile Gasols awful rebounding and his playing hot potato with the basketball is driving me absolutely crazy. Plus he got killed in the pick and roll. I'm not saying anything about what Jonas and Delon would have done, only that I think this team is performing quite poorly and Gasol is someone I would like to see elsewhere next year.

if you are on the floor, you are healthy enough to play. 76ers fans arent giving Embiid any excuse, I would expect you to do the same. Maybe you are watching to many stat sheets because the game I saw, I saw Gasol deny Embiid position in the post all series, and made Embiid a shooter because he didnt want to handle Gasols physicality.

Plus if you look at a stat sheet, you will see JVal/Gasol are similar. If you look at the game and their skill sets, Kawhi would have had more double teams and contested shots from help defense with 76ers defenders helping off of JVal from KLs drives vs KL what happened in this series.

Gasol spaces the floor, JVal doesnt and would have been more in the post. Gasol being at the 3point line gave KL more room to operate and Siakam more room to drive. You wont learn that from a stat sheet.

Gasol was great for you guys, he does a lot of the little things you dont see on stat sheets, like Lowry. And I love analytics as much as anyone on this site. But their needs to be a balance because not everything is described on a stat sheet like Siakams "moving" screen on KL's game winner to give him just a little more space.

You are way to harsh on Gasol but yet give Lowry a huge pass, and Gasol had a MUCH bigger impact on the series than Lowry. I dont get it.

WaDe03
05-13-2019, 12:17 PM
if you are on the floor, you are healthy enough to play. 76ers fans are giving Embiid any excuse, I wouldnt expect you to do the same. Maybe you are watching to many stat sheets because the game I saw, I saw Gasol deny Embiid position in the post all series, and made Embiid a shooter because he didnt want to handle Gasols physicality.

Plus if you look at a stat sheet, you will see JVal/Gasol are similar. If you look at the game and their skill sets, Kawhi would have had more double teams and contested shots from help defense with 76ers defenders helping off of JVal from KLs drives vs KL what happened in this series.

Gasol spaces the floor, JVal doesnt and would have been more in the post. Gasol being at the 3point line gave KL more room to operate and Siakam more room to drive. You wont learn that from a stat sheet.

Gasol was great for you guys, he does a lot of the little things you dont see on stat sheets, like Lowry. And I love analytics as much as anyone on this site. But their needs to be a balance because not everything is described on a stat sheet like Siakams "moving" screen on KL's game winner to give him just a little more space.

You are way to harsh on Gasol but yet give Lowry a huge pass, and Gasol had a MUCH bigger impact on the series than Lowry. I dont get it.

When guys donít understand the game they go straight to the stat sheet when itís over. Jamie is a prime example.