PDA

View Full Version : Whos had the better career, Blake or Kevin Love?

Chronz
03-13-2019, 09:58 PM
Love has the championship hardware(tho Blake was seen as more of a winner during their hey), higher raw peak stats. Blake has the highlights, actually led his teams to the Loffs and has the longer sustained prime.

Both experienced All-Star and All-NBA births the same year, both are great passers(tho Blake is the superior playmaker by a good margin), both are defensively challenged(lacking length). Both make HOF eventually IMO.

Career Numbers/PEAK:
Love = 18-11-2 (21.9PER/78.2WS)/(26.9PER/14.3WS)
Blake = 22-9-4 (22.3PER/74.5WS)/(23.9PER/12.2WS)

Playoffs:
Love: (17.7PER/5.6WS) WSx48: .138
Blake: (21.5PER/5WS) WSx48: .133

Who you got?

Bostonjorge
03-13-2019, 10:09 PM
2015 Playoffs Blake was better then any version of Love. Clippers eliminated the defending champs Spurs with Blake averaging 24/13/7 and had the Rockets down 3-1 with Paul missing games.

Love’s championship is a big plus for him and he will be remembered longer for it. I just like Blake’s game more.

Cracka2HI!
03-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Blake. I never thought much of Love. I always thought he was a lot empty stats on a bad team and Cleveland was actually better without him on the floor come the finals. He is a good player and Blake is also very flawed but I definitely take Blake in this one.

Redrum187
03-13-2019, 10:53 PM
I never cared for either honestly. I think I was slightly higher on Love though. Say what you will about Love on a crap team, Blake didn't do much either until CP3 came to town.

I think what Love offers is more valuable in today's game. Their defense wasn't up to par but at least Love was a noticeably better rebounder. It's less taxing on a defense if the player secures the defensive boards. While Blake is the noticeably better passer, I'd take the ability to stretch the defense out at the 4/5 position and rely on the traditional wings to make plays. I'd also be able to trust Love to make his free throws more than I would Blake. While Blake has improved his free throw percentage since his rookie season, it's almost as if he peaked his rookie year and hasn't evolved his game much since.

Chronz
03-13-2019, 11:11 PM
I think Blake's evolved his game the most here. Tbh, he might've had a better year than lebron. Hes played almost like a pf version of lebron carrying Detroit

COOLbeans
03-13-2019, 11:31 PM
Blake. Though at their peaks I would’ve taken Love. But Blake has been very good on good teams so I think he has the edge whereas Love was more dominant when he was on the Wolves

Saddletramp
03-14-2019, 05:21 AM
I never cared for either honestly. I think I was slightly higher on Love though. Say what you will about Love on a crap team, Blake didn't do much either until CP3 came to town.

I think what Love offers is more valuable in today's game. Their defense wasn't up to par but at least Love was a noticeably better rebounder. It's less taxing on a defense if the player secures the defensive boards. While Blake is the noticeably better passer, I'd take the ability to stretch the defense out at the 4/5 position and rely on the traditional wings to make plays. I'd also be able to trust Love to make his free throws more than I would Blake. While Blake has improved his free throw percentage since his rookie season, it's almost as if he peaked his rookie year and hasn't evolved his game much since.

Pretty much this. Love’s a better rebounder, three point shooter and he’s not a diva that’s going to get hurt by punching out an inconsequential.

Blake dunks better. Big whoop.

ewing
03-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Love- he’s white. Opps i mean he has a higher basketball IQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prodigy
03-14-2019, 08:35 AM
If we just going by numbers don't forget what Love did with Wolves. Love hurt his career losing all that weight. he don't score and battle down low much anymore and just shoots 3's. Which he's good at but his all around scoring isn't what it once was.

Love has a ring and played a big role getting that ring. Can't forget his defense on Curry in game 7. 2 different times he shut Curry down. Lebron and Irving both still bring that up.

Love also has injury issues now.

Overall both real good players but Blake has gotten better as Love is on a decline. Love has numbers and a ring so i take his career overall. But I'd take Blake right now over Love easy.

Hawkeye15
03-14-2019, 10:32 AM
while I want to point out Blake's stats would have dipped alongside LeBron, in a bubble, I would prefer Blake's career to date.

TrueFan420
03-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Question, when everyone is looking at their careers does anyone take into account that Love hit above expectations coming into the league vs Blake never meeting his expectations?

Hawkeye15
03-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Question, when everyone is looking at their careers does anyone take into account that Love hit above expectations coming into the league vs Blake never meeting his expectations?

nah, I don't think that matters at some point.

Love took a huge backseat to LeBron/Irving, so his career numbers don't look like they projected to be with the Wolves. But, he has also started to break down, which doesn't help him.

valade16
03-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Does anyone put any stock on Love's championship? The year the Cavs won he averaged 8.5 PPG in 26 MPG in the Finals.

Hawkeye15
03-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Does anyone put any stock on Love's championship? The year the Cavs won he averaged 8.5 PPG in 26 MPG in the Finals.

nope. Not really. He was the 5th best player on his own team in that series. It does nothing for his overall ranking.

Chronz
03-14-2019, 12:34 PM

I was thinking along those lines but do we completely discount his regular season and prior round contributions. Helps bron preserve his best imo. Its really just the Dubs that make him a big liability.

valade16
03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
I was thinking along those lines but do we completely discount his regular season and prior round contributions. Helps bron preserve his best imo. Its really just the Dubs that make him a big liability.

Good point, though he averaged 14.7 PPG in the playoffs that season. He definitely helped but I would classify what he brought as firmly a "role player" as opposed to an Alpha or at least a Beta. Has Blake ever been relegated to the status of a role player?

Chronz
03-14-2019, 12:39 PM
while I want to point out Blake's stats would have dipped alongside LeBron, in a bubble, I would prefer Blake's career to date.
Idk if they would fall off as much as Love tho. This new iteration of blake suffers even less. I mean CP3 restricted his peak numbers similarly, he did have that top 3 mvp finish that one year off the strength of what he did without cp3

Chronz
03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Good point, though he averaged 14.7 PPG in the playoffs that season. He definitely helped but I would classify what he brought as firmly a "role player" as opposed to an Alpha or at least a Beta. Has Blake ever been relegated to the status of a role player?

Early in his career when his game was more raw he was liable to be benched for role players like Kmart and reggie Evans. But when he added that midrange game he had that sick playoff run

valade16
03-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Early in his career when his game was more raw he was liable to be benched for role players like Kmart and reggie Evans. But when he added that midrange game he had that sick playoff run

Yeah it seems like Blake morphed his game from a traditional PF grabbing lots of rebounds and staying down low to a more modern play making PF who shoots and can handle the ball and make plays for others.

prodigy
03-14-2019, 01:25 PM

do you care that his defense on Curry won them that game 7? Both Lebron and irving said their plays mean nothing without Loving locking down Curry. Can't disrespect the man on that.

prodigy
03-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Kevin is also much better looking. I still have no idea what Blake is. We gotta take this important detail into account.

ewing
03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Yeah it seems like Blake morphed his game from a traditional PF grabbing lots of rebounds and staying down low to a more modern play making PF who shoots and can handle the ball and make plays for others.

Get that playground **** out of here

Hawkeye15
03-14-2019, 02:38 PM
do you care that his defense on Curry won them that game 7? Both Lebron and irving said their plays mean nothing without Loving locking down Curry. Can't disrespect the man on that.

it was a single play. And frankly, Love was a liability against the Warriors for much of the series. TT was easily the better option against the Dubs. Just a terrible matchup for Love really, not his fault. He was very good the previous 3 series.

Chronz
03-14-2019, 03:09 PM

I'll always appreciate CP3 for jump starting this franchise to some level of respectability but part of me wonders what a Blake led team would look like at his apex. I doubt its any better of a team than what I saw but I wonder how Blake would have progressed if not for trying to fit within the confines of CP3's methodical attack. If Jerry West and co were around back then we would've never traded our pick, drafted Kyrie and watched him and Blake make sweet love together in Hollyweird. With the eventual cap space we nab Bron and win forever

Chronz
03-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Kevin is also much better looking. I still have no idea what Blake is. We gotta take this important detail into account.
True, did you know he models?

https://waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Lil-Kev.png

Vee-Rex
03-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Tough choice.

I'm slightly leaning towards Blake, though. The ring helps Love even if he usually sucks vs GS, but I guess I just like Blake's overall game a bit better. I think he tends to be more consistent and has developed quite well.

Alayla
03-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Love and its never really been a debate for me. The man gets alot of unjustified hate.

ewing
03-14-2019, 06:06 PM

I know you are big fan of Blake's play making ability. Do you think he ever over does it la la Cousins? I think most of the time over dribbling from your bigs can slow a team down and take the ball away from the guys that should be handling it.

Cracka2HI!
03-14-2019, 10:35 PM
I'll always appreciate CP3 for jump starting this franchise to some level of respectability but part of me wonders what a Blake led team would look like at his apex. I doubt its any better of a team than what I saw but I wonder how Blake would have progressed if not for trying to fit within the confines of CP3's methodical attack. If Jerry West and co were around back then we would've never traded our pick, drafted Kyrie and watched him and Blake make sweet love together in Hollyweird. With the eventual cap space we nab Bron and win forever

I wonder this too. The team was really nice before CP3 but it's not like I would have rather the team not have done the trade. There are 2 things that really get me about the roster moves the Clippers made. First was not having a competent enough GM to protect the pick in the Baron Davis trade. Even if they just put #1 overall protection on it. Cleveland probably does that trade with top 3 protection considering where the Clippers finished. I think they had the 10th best odds to get the #1 pick. Clippers could have had; Blake, DJ, Aminu, Gordon and Kyrie. I think Blake would have flourished with Kyrie rather than CP3. Kyrie can play off Blake's playmaking a lot better and Blake would have been the top dog. The other one was when Doc was GM and traded Bledsoe for Redick and Dudley. Bledsoe had to net the team the wing player they needed. It was such a downgrade in athleticism and the team never recovered from it. Redick was a FA and could have been had for Caron Butler in a S&T. The Bucks traded for Butler from the Suns later in that off-season. The Suns essentially got Bledsoe for Dudley.

CityofTreez
03-14-2019, 11:25 PM
https://youtu.be/ZSS54BW1u9w

https://youtu.be/XtUARot98zQ

Easily Blake....

basch152
03-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Love had a paltry TS% of like 47% that series, he was a net negative while in the game.

it makes me laugh that you think playing decent defense on one play somehow negates all that.

also it wasnt even anything special defensively. the warriors needed a 3 and he knew curry wasnt going to settle for anything else, so he could effectively ignore his fake drive attempts and stick on him at the 3 pt line. literally any player in the nba could have played that just as well

prodigy
03-15-2019, 09:46 AM
it was a single play. And frankly, Love was a liability against the Warriors for much of the series. TT was easily the better option against the Dubs. Just a terrible matchup for Love really, not his fault. He was very good the previous 3 series.

2 plays actually. very key and important plays. I agree Love wasn't a good match up vs the warriors. But can't take away what Love did. Other cavs players couldn't do it.

prodigy
03-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Love had a paltry TS% of like 47% that series, he was a net negative while in the game.

it makes me laugh that you think playing decent defense on one play somehow negates all that.

also it wasnt even anything special defensively. the warriors needed a 3 and he knew curry wasnt going to settle for anything else, so he could effectively ignore his fake drive attempts and stick on him at the 3 pt line. literally any player in the nba could have played that just as well

LMAO!! all he does is shoot 3's but nobody can stop him in the NBA now. he's a 3pt shooter first. thats the only shot he wants. He drives if he has to but thats not his game. We all know that. (he's a very good finisher at the rim also. but its not his game.) so to say anyone could stop him is wrong.

Also saying curry wasn't going to drive is wrong because he could've dribbled around to find space. Which if you watch it again i believe the first time Curry wanted to but Love stayed in front of him. Curry was dancing all over the place and couldn't shake Love at all. Love was focused his played his best defense ever. I'm not sure the hatred here where we can't at least tip the cap to love for these plays. Warriors made it a point to make sure Love was on Curry. Love answered the call.

Once again. Warriors always play well vs Love its just a bad match-up for him. He struggles vs them. But on those TWO plays Love was on point and deserves respect for that.

hidalgo
03-17-2019, 01:26 AM
pretty good comparison here. i'd say they're about equals, with the tinniest edge to Kevin Love for helping his team to the finals and championship (and his iconic Scottie Pippen defense on Curry), and better peak years (max out numbers). still only the tinniest edge. they're neck and neck

nastynice
03-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Blake, easily. One season, I think '14, he was looking like arguably 3rd best player in the league after lebron and Durant. Love has never been at that level.

Redrum187
03-18-2019, 12:21 AM
Blake, easily. One season, I think '14, he was looking like arguably 3rd best player in the league after lebron and Durant. Love has never been at that level.

You realize Kevin Love had a better 2014 season than Blake? More points, more rebounds, more assists (1.3 fewer turnovers per game), better efficiency, better spacer, noticeably higher VORP on fewer games... Also, I know you could "argue" anything, but neither Blake nor Love were ever close to top 3 players to me. I saw right through them. Decent players, but nothing to get too excited about.

Chronz
03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
They match up in less than an hour. Bet blake beats the breaks off that ***

Vee-Rex
03-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Hilarious that neither played.

But my boy Sexton (who started the season off reeeeeal bad) has been ballin' this month. Seems like he's finally figuring it out a little bit. Still got a long way to go.

In the month of March, Sexton is:

22.1ppg, 50%FG, 44%3Pt, .617 TS%, 3.0apg

Pair him up with Zion and there's our future. We'll suck again next year and win another high pick, and have plenty of draft capital as we unload guys like JR and Tristan and perhaps Love on other teams.

ewing
03-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Hilarious that neither played.

But my boy Sexton (who started the season off reeeeeal bad) has been ballin' this month. Seems like he's finally figuring it out a little bit. Still got a long way to go.

In the month of March, Sexton is:

22.1ppg, 50%FG, 44%3Pt, .617 TS%, 3.0apg

Pair him up with Zion and there's our future. We'll suck again next year and win another high pick, and have plenty of draft capital as we unload guys like JR and Tristan and perhaps Love on other teams.

Yeah Blake got a “rest” game with like 13 games left in the season, on a 6 seed, that is only 3 games in front of the 9 seed. What’s is the NBA coming too?

prodigy
03-19-2019, 10:24 AM
You realize Kevin Love had a better 2014 season than Blake? More points, more rebounds, more assists (1.3 fewer turnovers per game), better efficiency, better spacer, noticeably higher VORP on fewer games... Also, I know you could "argue" anything, but neither Blake nor Love were ever close to top 3 players to me. I saw right through them. Decent players, but nothing to get too excited about.

this

prodigy
03-19-2019, 10:26 AM

both sat out. lol, not shocking since both are use to the bench with injuries or "rest".

Hawkeye15
03-19-2019, 11:00 AM
2 plays actually. very key and important plays. I agree Love wasn't a good match up vs the warriors. But can't take away what Love did. Other cavs players couldn't do it.

I have no doubt TT could have walled up just as well. But, we agree by and large. Love's ring means something, but we can't act like he was of any impact really in the finals.

That being said, ask these 2 players whose career they prefer. Winning a ring trumps a ton of individual crap.

IndyRealist
03-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Blake Griffin have never been close to being the 3rd best player in the league, ever. There's overrating a guy, and then there's being straight up delusional.

prodigy
03-19-2019, 12:38 PM
I have no doubt TT could have walled up just as well.

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing. TT is nothing special on defense either.

Love had 14 rebounds and 2 key defensive stops in game 7. That was a BIG part of the win for sure. So i will disagree with you there. Overall in the series he was ineffective. Just always been that way vs warriors. But he found other ways to contribute with is a great thing to do.

Chronz
03-19-2019, 12:58 PM
So disappoint

mightybosstone
03-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Really interesting thread. Although when you actually stack up their careers Blake seems like the obvious choice, it definitely required some thought. On one hand, Love's statistical peak in those two years in Minnesota (11-12, 13-14) crush anything that Blake has accomplished statistically, but it's easy to forget just how bad those Wolves teams were. Love also has the ring in his resume, but considering how small of a piece he was in that title run for the Cavs, it's hard to really give him credit.

While Love's resume has some peaks and some accolades that Blake doesn't, I just think Blake has been the far more consistent, productive player in his career. Also, despite the fact that they're both 30, it's very telling that Love can barely stay on the court for a terrible basketball team while Blake is the alpha dog on a playoff team despite so-so talent around him.

Bottom line, both guys will almost certainly be Hall of Famers one day. But Love will go down as a "good stats, bad team" guy who lucked out in winning a ring as a role player with Lebron, while Griffin was a legitimate top 10-15 player at points in his career who was regularly working on improving his game and led multiple teams to the playoffs as the best or second best player.

nastynice
03-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Blake finished 3rd in mvp voting that year..

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2014.html

nastynice
03-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Blake Griffin have never been close to being the 3rd best player in the league, ever. There's overrating a guy, and then there's being straight up delusional.

MVP voting is the end all be all, but I thought he was the 3rd best player in the league and a lot of people around the league did. He was coming up, his game was expanding a lot that year

MygirlhatesCod
03-19-2019, 03:13 PM

MVP voting is the end all be all, but I thought he was the 3rd best player in the league and a lot of people around the league did. He was coming up, his game was expanding a lot that year

I don't think blake was the best player on his own team that year.

ewing
03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
I don't think blake was the best player on his own team that year.

Who was? CP3 missed a good amount of time. The team was pretty stacked but I think it’s pretty obvious Blake was the guy

MygirlhatesCod
03-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Who was? CP3 missed a good amount of time. The team was pretty stacked but I think it’s pretty obvious Blake was the guy

I would take 62 games of CP3 over 80 of Blake.

with as many games as CP3 has missed, 62 is like a full season average for him anyway.

Redrum187
03-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Blake finished 3rd in mvp voting that year..

We disagree that "voting" is legitimate proof that one player had a superior season than another player. I mean... that same season Blake had a guy that was even better than him on his own team... All data shows this... except for the one you think is the most important, "MVP voting".

Hypothetically, if everyone voted JJ Barea in as the 2019 MVP, is he really the best or even the "most valuable player" in the league in spite of having inferior stats? Sadly, Barea wasn't even the most valuable player on his team... something he and Blake both have in common when he was on the Clippers.

nastynice
03-20-2019, 04:41 AM
We disagree that "voting" is legitimate proof that one player had a superior season than another player. I mean... that same season Blake had a guy that was even better than him on his own team... All data shows this... except for the one you think is the most important, "MVP voting".

Hypothetically, if everyone voted JJ Barea in as the 2019 MVP, is he really the best or even the "most valuable player" in the league in spite of having inferior stats? Sadly, Barea wasn't even the most valuable player on his team... something he and Blake both have in common when he was on the Clippers.

Haha, relax I already said it's not the end all be all. But I remember watching him that year and I remember thinking the same thing, I remember some analysts mentioning it too. Ewing mentioned a cp3 injury, maybe he was just getting fed more and developing 1 on 1, I don't know what it was, but dude was filthy that year. Footwork and shooting was savage. He was already a very good player, lob city, and he clearly elevated as a player that year, offensively at least

If you disagree then fine, I don't really care enough to debate it, but just showing that me saying that didn't come out of nowhere, he was legit filthy. But then he fell off hella hard, back to the previous year kinda. It was very high but super short peak, he's kinda looking good in Detroit tho

nastynice
03-20-2019, 04:46 AM
Also I always thought love was a little overrated in Minny. The Cleveland big 3 didn't compare to Miami and mainly cuz of love, he was just no where on boshs level. Kyrie was young but he was a better fit than Wade, plus lebron mental peak. Love was the clear drop off, altho thats like getting randy moss and telling him to run routes up the middle, I don't know what the hell made them think he could just completely change his game and still be effective. Bosh did it but he was just on another level, what he did in Miami, the way he adjusted, just under the radar nastiness on his part.

If Miami runs plays through Bosh against Dallas, they'd a been Champs. It was so obvious

Akshay99
03-20-2019, 07:02 AM
nice https://akjsports.blogspot.com/

prodigy
03-20-2019, 09:23 AM
While Love's resume has some peaks and some accolades that Blake doesn't, I just think Blake has been the far more consistent, productive player in his career. Also, despite the fact that they're both 30, it's very telling that Love can barely stay on the court for a terrible basketball team while Blake is the alpha dog on a playoff team despite so-so talent around him.

Blake has been injury prone his whole career so stop that crap right now. Love isn't playing because the team sucks lol. Love is also injury prone but if Lebron was still here I doubt he misses as many games. Cavs are tanking clearly.

prodigy
03-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Also I always thought love was a little overrated in Minny. The Cleveland big 3 didn't compare to Miami and mainly cuz of love, he was just no where on boshs level.

Bosh was able to fit more with LeBron. Love had to change much of his game (also the weight loss hurt him.)

Bottom line both blakes and Love's Careers are really good prob HOF level (NBA HOF is a joke anyway). Blake was a much better athlete clearly While love was just very sound. Both have crazy stat years, Love has a ring that he did play a strong role in game 7.

right now I'd take Love's career because of great numbers and he's a champion. But we will see what happens. Zion could even up in Cleveland and with Sexton looking like a freaking god right not they could make noise in the future. Who knows. If that don't happen ill take Blakes career when its all said and done.