PDA

View Full Version : The JR Smith contract is the most valuable contract in offseason, who needs it most?

Chronz
03-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Cavs have been acquiring bad contracts all year in exchange for modest picks. The JR Smith contract is their last big bargaining chip, its unique in that its a huge contract that is only partially guaranteed. Its an instant 17 million off your books for what is set to be the biggest free agency class of all-time.

TrueFan420
03-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Itís $15,680,000 with $3,870,000 guaranteed, fully if not waived on or before 6/30/19. Itís a good bargaining chip but not as large as youíre making out to be. You could clearly roughly 12 million off your books. Most teams that are in contention for a top FA already have the cap space they need. I doubt anyone offers them anything of significant value for him.

IndyRealist
03-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Itís $15,680,000 with $3,870,000 guaranteed, fully if not waived on or before 6/30/19. Itís a good bargaining chip but not as large as youíre making out to be. You could clearly roughly 12 million off your books. Most teams that are in contention for a top FA already have the cap space they need. I doubt anyone offers them anything of significant value for him.

You can trade it for up to 125% of it's value, or almost $20m. So it's $16m or so in savings.

But the most valuable contract is Doncic. Expiring contracts aren't worth what they used to be.

TrueFan420
03-14-2019, 11:01 PM
You can trade it for up to 125% of it's value, or almost $20m. So it's $16m or so in savings.

But the most valuable contract is Doncic. Expiring contracts aren't worth what they used to be.

Touchť and agreed

Chronz
03-15-2019, 01:50 AM
Havent really checked out Miami's cap situation but Im thinking they could become a player if the players were remotely interested in going there, which IDK what players think of it today. Them getting JR could totally cripple the value of the pick they owe the Clippers so I hope Im wrong.

I really think the Lakers couldve gone for this instead of losing assets like they have in order to get this sort of opening. Even David Kahn was better at clearing cap space than Magic/Pelinka.

prodigy
03-15-2019, 09:43 AM
well any team that wants to add big time players would love to have that extra 16 mill in cap space. Lakers may be interested so they can fill out the roster around the superstars (if they get any). Maybe cavs could grab a good young player from them.

I actually think JR Smiths contract will fetch them very good value in return. Cavs are in a interesting spot. Sexton has been balling as of late. Love is love. decent young talent on the team. But if can grab a good young player with the Smith contract then draft in the top 5 they might be in decent shape moving forward. Thats of course if Sexton and this years top pick pans out.

R. Johnson#3
03-15-2019, 10:08 AM
He'll be traded for a future 2nd.

IndyRealist
03-15-2019, 10:27 AM
well any team that wants to add big time players would love to have that extra 16 mill in cap space. Lakers may be interested so they can fill out the roster around the superstars (if they get any). Maybe cavs could grab a good young player from them.

I actually think JR Smiths contract will fetch them very good value in return. Cavs are in a interesting spot. Sexton has been balling as of late. Love is love. decent young talent on the team. But if can grab a good young player with the Smith contract then draft in the top 5 they might be in decent shape moving forward. Thats of course if Sexton and this years top pick pans out.

Lakers don't have $20m to dump. They have Lebron and a bunch of guys on rookie contracts. Dumping salary would mean getting rid of Ingram, Ball, etc.

Honestly, looking at salaries next year Cleveland might need the cap savings more than anyone else.

McAllen Tx
03-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Doesn't George Hill have the same kind of contract?

prodigy
03-15-2019, 02:10 PM
He'll be traded for a future 2nd.

i can't see that. 16mill in cap relief? They would just release him lol

prodigy
03-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Lakers don't have $20m to dump. They have Lebron and a bunch of guys on rookie contracts. Dumping salary would mean getting rid of Ingram, Ball, etc.

Honestly, looking at salaries next year Cleveland might need the cap savings more than anyone else.

Ingram doesn't fit with Lebron that is clear. so if they are commented to Lebron Ingram will be moved. So that could be an option i think. Ingram has a 7.2 million contract next season. Wouldn't be hard to make that work. NOT saying that would happen you brought up the name.

Cleveland very well may keep it for themselves. Unless they can grab a young talent of course.

R. Johnson#3
03-15-2019, 02:27 PM
i can't see that. 16mill in cap relief? They would just release him lol

Yeah, that's probably what's going to happen.

Who's going to give up anything of value for cap relief? The only chance of that happening is if you deal with Magic Johnson but unfortunately Lebron has final say on all basketball decisions now. In all seriousness though, he has to be waived the day before free agency starts. I just don't see anyone giving anything valuable for cap relief without a contract already being signed by a big name FA.

IndyRealist
03-15-2019, 03:03 PM
Ingram doesn't fit with Lebron that is clear. so if they are commented to Lebron Ingram will be moved. So that could be an option i think. Ingram has a 7.2 million contract next season. Wouldn't be hard to make that work. NOT saying that would happen you brought up the name.

Cleveland very well may keep it for themselves. Unless they can grab a young talent of course.

Lakers can get a pick each for Ingram or Ball, and their salaries are low enough to be tradeable indivisually. They're not gonna throw them away to a salary dump. That makes zero sense for the Lakers, and I don't even like Ingram.

Salary dumps just aren't what they used to be.

McAllen Tx
03-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Lakers can get a pick each for Ingram or Ball, and their salaries are low enough to be tradeable indivisually. They're not gonna throw them away to a salary dump. That makes zero sense for the Lakers, and I don't even like Ingram.

Salary dumps just aren't what they used to be.

They aren't what they used to be but they are still being used by teams in the LT. Just last season Denver gave up a 1st and 2nd to Brooklyn for them to take Faried and Arthur off their hands. Denver also gave up a 2nd Philly for them to take Chandler off their hands.

This coming summer I think Charlotte (assuming they drastically overpay Kemba) look to dump either Williams or MKG. If GS maxes both KD & Klay I believe they will look to dump AI. OKC could look to dump Roberson.

Even though salary dumps aren't as common as before they're still around for teams paying LT. The more teams that go into the LT the more common they will become then.

prodigy
03-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that's probably what's going to happen.

Who's going to give up anything of value for cap relief? The only chance of that happening is if you deal with Magic Johnson but unfortunately Lebron has final say on all basketball decisions now. In all seriousness though, he has to be waived the day before free agency starts. I just don't see anyone giving anything valuable for cap relief without a contract already being signed by a big name FA.

any team that needs to clear up cap to sign a star i would guess lol. we will see they will try everything first. just releasing him helps cavs also.