PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook incident

ewing
03-12-2019, 08:10 AM
https://basketball.******.com/wiretap/252924/Russell-Westbrook-Gets-Into-Verbal-Confrontation-With-Jazz-Fan

Now i love Westy but he can't be doing this ****. I think he should be fined and suspended. If the fan was really out of line Westbrook should have pointed him out to security so he could have been quietly removed. I don't think the league can look past this.

Discuss

ewing
03-12-2019, 08:25 AM
sorry I linked the site that can not be named. Here is an espn link

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26234619/westbrook-threatens-courtside-fan-fan-wife

phillyphan4
03-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Westbrook is a great player, but personally I'm not a fan. I don't think I can recall a player that gets into more heated exchanges with other players/fans than this guy, in any sport. Grow up. Do we honestly think he is the only player that gets crap from the fans, no. He is a sensitive guy, people know it and feed off it. At some point it isn't the fans/other players, it's you. It is getting excessive at this point, get over yourself.

Htownballa1622
03-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Pretty simple. Jazz fan is lying imo but that doesn't give Russ the right to threaten dudes wife. That's my only thing.

I understand his frustration and I don't have a problem with him letting the fan know what's up if the fan did what Russ is alleging. Where he lost me is going at the wife.

Slap Russ with a fine, no suspension, and move on. Security, do a better job. The end.

kdspurman
03-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Pretty simple. Jazz fan is lying imo but that doesn't give Russ the right to threaten dudes wife. That's my only thing.

I understand his frustration and I don't have a problem with him letting the fan know what's up if the fan did what Russ is alleging. Where he lost me is going at the wife.

Slap Russ with a fine, no suspension, and move on. Security, do a better job. The end.

Same... Dude already turned his twitter off, but not before screen shots were grabbed to show what type of posts he's made. Keep the wife out of it tho

ewing
03-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Same... Dude already turned his twitter off, but not before screen shots were grabbed to show what type of posts he's made. Keep the wife out of it tho

I don't care about the wife. Russ needs to act civil weather he is addressing a guy or a girl. If they were out of line he should have pointed them out to security. He can't be inciting potential incidents with fans.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 09:49 AM
yeah I am surprised this stuff doesn't happen more often. At some point, the seats will have protection between them and the players, or they will move the seats back (fat chance with the $).

Look, with social media today, and the fact you are so recognizable, it sucks being an NBA player when it comes to how you have to act, and the amount of "opinions" about you out there. But these guys can go drive a cab, or sit in front of a computer all day if they wish to be left alone. With that incredible money comes incredible expectations. If they don't like it, go teach 3rd grade.

Suspension should come, for sure. A fine does nothing, these guys make way too much money.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 09:50 AM
I don't care about the wife. Russ needs to act civil weather he is addressing a guy or a girl. If they were out of line he should have pointed them out to security. He can't be inciting potential incidents with fans.

yep

MarkieMark48
03-12-2019, 10:08 AM
I disagree... the only thing I think Russ did wrong was say whatever he said about the guys wife... He should have said something like "your wife is going to get you beat" or something along those lines. Some hecklers need to be put in their place. If they are going to use profanity, and sexual insults they should be ready to get it back.

I had wall seats when our city had arena football. Of course arena football is nowhere near the level of NBA, but that's besides my point. Me and a few guys were known as the hecklers and players from opposing teams knew about it, but we would always tell the guys before kickoff something like we are going to be on them all game but we wont use profanity or talk about their mommas. They would get a real kick out of it and we would always talk smack and the players would talk it right back during the game and it was fun for the both us the fans and the players, and about 95% of the time we would share a few laughs after the game and become friends/followers on social media and still maintain a friendly relationship to this day.

Personally I don't believe the heckler's story, I believe Russ.

kdspurman
03-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Dude is definitely a hot head for sure. But Jazz fans have a reputation for saying certain things to players too. I agree some players need to keep a more level head, but I'm sure some things cross a line for them. And what was allegedly said by the fan definitely ain't cool. It wasn't some random mama joke.

Security should probably be better near the bench area too. That's where they should have the most coverage

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Dude is definitely a hot head for sure. But Jazz fans have a reputation for saying certain things to players too. I agree some players need to keep a more level head, but I'm sure some things cross a line for them. And what was allegedly said by the fan definitely ain't cool. It wasn't some random mama joke.

Security should probably be better near the bench area too. That's where they should have the most coverage

absolutely

So what exactly did the fan say?

tp13baby
03-12-2019, 10:34 AM
His wife and him both said it to him. After seeing his tweets, his wife knows who he is with. And the fact she is with him probably has the same ideals. They can both **** off, they are trash and totally believe racists should get their ***** kicked. Throwing around the n word around is total ********.

aman_13
03-12-2019, 10:58 AM
The comments made to Russell were way out of line. People really think they can say whatever they want just because they pay tickets.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ewing
03-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Definitely agreed and the dude probably did cross the line and needed to be dealt with. I just don't Russ can be the one dealing with him. If Russ starts threatening ******* fans and one of those fans takes a swing at Russ it could start a riot. If Russ points the guy out to security and they handle it i think it has a lot less potential for explosion

kdspurman
03-12-2019, 11:22 AM
absolutely

So what exactly did the fan say?

You know twitter did their thing and pulled up some of his old tweets (which he now deleted) but this was what was reported

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 11:33 AM
ok, maybe I am ignorant, but how is "get down on your knees like you're used to" racist? Am I missing something?

ewing
03-12-2019, 11:34 AM
ok, maybe I am ignorant, but how is "get down on your knees like you're used to" racist? Am I missing something?

I didn't get that either

tredigs
03-12-2019, 12:14 PM
sorry I linked the site that can not be named
A site has no name: http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

tredigs
03-12-2019, 12:19 PM

The person who said it was presumably white, which has become the marquee ingredient to label someone a racist (the fact that there was nothing racial about the comment in the least is a distant, distant second).

Irony here is that Russ is the only one being racist. The fans are just being idiots.

kdspurman
03-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Definitely agreed and the dude probably did cross the line and needed to be dealt with. I just don't Russ can be the one dealing with him. If Russ starts threatening ******* fans and one of those fans takes a swing at Russ it could start a riot. If Russ points the guy out to security and they handle it i think it has a lot less potential for explosion

Don't disagree with this at all. Tho for me I know it's easy to say that, but during a game with emotions/adrenaline high, who knows. Especially a guy like Westbrook (who I've seen lose his mind after hitting a 3 to start a game , literally the score was 3-0), some guys are wired differently.

He probably makes himself an easy target with his interactions, fans think they can get under his skin. At the same time, if you're a fan and make comments about a player and his family, don't act all innocent and play the victim if you get cursed out.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 12:23 PM
The person who said it was presumably white, which has become the marquee ingredient to label someone a racist (the fact that there was nothing racial about the comment in the least is a distant, distant second).

Irony here is that Russ is the only one being racist. The fans are just being idiots.

damn straight. Plenty of white guys get down on their knees!

kdspurman
03-12-2019, 12:27 PM

That stuff was more from his now disabled twitter account

aman_13
03-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Well he did write on twitter that Westbrook should go back to where he came from and deleted his tweet recently.

It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

tredigs
03-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Well he did write on twitter that Westbrook should go back to where he came from and deleted his tweet recently.

It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He could be the leader of the KKK for all we (and more importantly Russ) know. It does not make his stupid comment racist.

As far as the larger conversation goes in which these prima donnas no longer want to face the injustices of heckling, I say, Go **** yourself. It's definitely NOT something I go for at a game unless it's stupid and funny, but unless it's truly terrible things being said, that's part of the game. For **** sake I had so many worse things said to me by fans in college than this nonsense.

He's not doing himself any favors by highlighting his thin skin. Now the idiots have all the ammunition they need.

ewing
03-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Don't disagree with this at all. Tho for me I know it's easy to say that, but during a game with emotions/adrenaline high, who knows. Especially a guy like Westbrook (who I've seen lose his mind after hitting a 3 to start a game , literally the score was 3-0), some guys are wired differently.

He probably makes himself an easy target with his interactions, fans think they can get under his skin. At the same time, if you're a fan and make comments about a player and his family, don't act all innocent and play the victim if you get cursed out.

I'm not saying its easy or I can't see his side. I'm saying its his job not to do that. Like its a waiter's job not curse out jerk costumers. I get it, doesn't mean he can do it

More-Than-Most
03-12-2019, 01:39 PM

its not its just the go to card in todays world... when i read the comment get on your knees i assumed he was telling was he sucks dick lololol... as in his play sucks dick etc.

TakeYourL
03-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Those fans were racist attention seekers, the guy even stayed after the arena emptied out to get interviewed.

TakeYourL
03-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Not that complicated.

He's saying he should get on knees and bow down to the white master like in slavery days

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Not that complicated.

He's saying he should get on knees and bow down to the white master like in slavery days

Westbrook was never a slave.

ewing
03-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Not that complicated.

I didnít know slaves did that. Actually i still donít but Iím convinced the fan was a prick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
03-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Not that complicated.

:laugh:

not even sure how one can make that jump but alright

cmellofan15
03-12-2019, 03:58 PM

It's completely reasonable to believe that the initial remark toward Westbrook wasn't racial considering what has been reported.

But to flip it and say that what Russ said as a response was racist is hilariously stupid.

tredigs
03-12-2019, 04:02 PM
I didnít know slaves did that. Actually i still donít but Iím convinced the fan was a prick.

Don't let logic or reality get in the way of a good race bait agenda. Or Westbrook just trying to use that card to excuse himself and get out of a **** situation he put himself in that he's too immature to own.

TakeYourL
03-12-2019, 06:17 PM
:laugh:

not even sure how one can make that jump but alright

We know the guy is a complete racist based off his social media, it's not a jump at all.

This is what racist do in public, they say racist comments that you have to read into, this isnt remotely complicated.

SiteWolf
03-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Westbrook said "there is no place in our game for personal attacks or disrespect." as he told the guy and his wife, who we don't know said ANYthing, that he was going to f them both up...........and he gets fined the equivalent (to him) of $50?

Whatever the guy's twitter feed may say, I'd still like to hear what he actually said, not just everyone believe what Westbrook SAID he said.

'course this isn't as bad as Dolan banning a fan for telling him to sell the team...which was just repeating what most Knicks fans want to say

CityofTreez
03-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Russ shouldíve been suspended along with a fine.
Fan should be banned for life.
Utah should be forced to clean up their atmosphere. Our play-by-play Grant Napear says Ďvile and disgustingí about Ďsomeí Ute fans and I believe him. Just clean it up so Westbrook canít grab a phone OR threaten a fan and his wife. Damn

flea
03-12-2019, 08:03 PM
As someone who has come around on Westbrook because he's one of the few players you can catch a midweek game of and know you'll get to see a great player going all-out, but also as someone who thinks NBA players are for the most part sissies I will have to reserve judgment. I need more information such as whether this fan supports Black Lives Matter.

tredigs
03-12-2019, 09:21 PM
It's completely reasonable to believe that the initial remark toward Westbrook wasn't racial considering what has been reported.

But to flip it and say that what Russ said as a response was racist is hilariously stupid.

There was exactly one person in this exchange that brought up race in the slightest degree. And it was Russ. Explicitly. What he is doing is furthering race tensions by making a racial comment on the idiot simply because he is white. Wake up buddy.

ewing
03-12-2019, 10:01 PM
There was exactly one person in this exchange that brought up race in the slightest degree. And it was Russ. Explicitly. What he is doing is furthering race tensions by making a racial comment on the idiot simply because he is white. Wake up buddy.

We didnít hear the rest of the conversation though. He may have been calling him ghetto and a dumb thug etc. if so I a can see it. Itís not obvious like that guy take you L guy said thatís for sure but I think weíd need to hear more

ewing
03-12-2019, 10:02 PM
God Iím so reasonable

tredigs
03-12-2019, 10:54 PM
We didnít hear the rest of the conversation though. He may have been calling him ghetto and a dumb thug etc. if so I a can see it. Itís not obvious like that guy take you L guy said thatís for sure but I think weíd need to hear more

Rest assure, we would have heard all about it already if that was the case.

This guy comes off as a complete pile, but I just am sick of this jump to racism **** we have going on. Can we let the racists actually be racist first?

Also, Russ said he was going to beat up a woman in this exchange. But I guess we will just look past that as it does not play as well.

ewing
03-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Rest assure, we would have heard all about it already if that was the case.

This guy comes off as a complete pile, but I just am sick of this jump to racism **** we have going on. Can we let the racists actually be racist first?

Also, Russ said he was going to beat up a woman in this exchange. But I guess we will just look past that as it does not play as well.

I said that I think he should be suspended. Idk about the women. Russ canít interact with fans that way period and Iím not basis. I like Russ. He doesnít blame his teammates, he plays hard all the time, he sees the other team as the enemy. He is still wrong here

ewing
03-12-2019, 11:37 PM
I donít need to pick a side here. Russ and this fan can be totally out of line. I am sure Russ was and I pretty confident the fan was too.

Saddletramp
03-13-2019, 12:17 AM
That guy got banned for life at Utah games. Good. Fans need to slow down on some of what they say. Not a fan of RWB going after the wife but if heís right and she said the same stuff, then good. **** her, too.

And a fine is fine. If the NBA sets up the precedent of putting fans right on top of players and then suspending players when they talk smack back, then every fan will get too carried away and obnoxious. Security needs to step, though. Some of those guys got warning cards but I donít think that thatís enough (depending on what was said).

Chronz
03-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Imagine being a racist nba fan. Lmfao. I guess it would be in Utah but c'mon now.

Ps
What's hilarious is that I went to the blazers clippers game yesterday, front row seats and man, the things that were said to that layman character could be described as racial but they were kind of benign. Talking about "get the f outta here white boi" from these 2 Hispanic gentleman (i think it was Hispanic night too).

ewing
03-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Imagine being a racist nba fan. Lmfao. I guess it would be in Utah but c'mon now.

Ps
What's hilarious is that I went to the blazers clippers game yesterday, front row seats and man, the things that were said to that layman character could be described as racial but they were kind of benign. Talking about "get the f outta here white boi" from these 2 Hispanic gentleman (i think it was Hispanic night too).

being a white baller you get it all the time

Hawkeye15
03-13-2019, 02:12 PM
God Iím so reasonable

the voice of reason

IndyRealist
03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
https://www.nba.com/video/2019/03/14/0021801024-min-uta-jazz-owner-gail-miller-address

Saddletramp
03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
https://www.nba.com/video/2019/03/14/0021801024-min-uta-jazz-owner-gail-miller-address

Classy. Good for her.

SiteWolf
03-15-2019, 08:40 PM
and now a 2nd fan banned

I get punishment, but not lifetime bans

Vee-Rex
03-15-2019, 09:01 PM

I really wish we could.

Unfortunately, it's not easy. I'm black and I've dealt with subtle racism more than any other kind of racism. Tons of racists like to do it non-blatantly, because they figure they can get away with it.

I've got tons of stories - I can't even remember them all. The moment I stop receiving subtle racism is the moment I'll stop questioning questionable statements.

We don't know for sure if the guy was being racist but if you switch out a word or two in the article quote it could sound a LOT more racist than what is shown (media makes these kind of simple errors all the time).

"Get down on your knees like you all used to"

can be interpreted as racist easier than

"Get down on your knees like you're used to"

as an example.

ewing
03-15-2019, 10:34 PM
I really wish we could.

Unfortunately, it's not easy. I'm black and I've dealt with subtle racism more than any other kind of racism. Tons of racists like to do it non-blatantly, because they figure they can get away with it.

I've got tons of stories - I can't even remember them all. The moment I stop receiving subtle racism is the moment I'll stop questioning questionable statements.

We don't know for sure if the guy was being racist but if you switch out a word or two in the article quote it could sound a LOT more racist than what is shown (media makes these kind of simple errors all the time).

as an example.

Yeah you blacks were always overtly racist with me. Iíd start schooling an your boy and you be like ďyou gonna let little man Tate do that to youĒ. First of all I didnít look anything like that kid and I wasnít that little. Second I schooled you last night. I do this every night but no one banned those guys I just won stayed on [emoji2373]

tredigs
03-15-2019, 11:47 PM
I really wish we could.

as an example.

Acknowledged and no doubt an issue.

Can't speak to your experiences but I have dealt with open hatred of white dudes living in Hawaii. True/open racism. Had 10-12 fights on my Haole factor. Racism is real. I get it. Not just subtle dude.

kdspurman
03-15-2019, 11:56 PM
I really wish we could.

as an example.

+1

Vee-Rex
03-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Acknowledged and no doubt an issue.

Can't speak to your experiences but I have dealt with open hatred of white dudes living in Hawaii. True/open racism. Had 10-12 fights on my Haole factor. Racism is real. I get it. Not just subtle dude.

Oh, I know blatant racism is real too lol. I've dealt with that version as well. Sucks you've been a victim of it.

Racism is a hyper sensitive issue and I wish it wasn't thrown around all willy-nilly like it is. Just gotta examine these incidents situationally and hope we can progress as a country.

Chronz
03-16-2019, 10:29 AM
You guys mixed breeds cuz that's how I grew up with very little racism except from my mixed family but that was all debate filled

blahblahyoutoo
03-16-2019, 11:03 AM

they always throw out the race card.
and he was barely intelligible in that clip, and not because of the background noise. the censoring didn't help but still...

blahblahyoutoo
03-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Not that complicated.

oooookkkk there....

ewing
03-16-2019, 11:13 AM
You guys mixed breeds cuz that's how I grew up with very little racism except from my mixed family but that was all debate filled

Is "mixed breed" the preferred nomenclature?

Chronz
03-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Is "mixed breed" the preferred nomenclature?
Most find it offensive, so yes.

tredigs
03-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Oh, I know blatant racism is real too lol. I've dealt with that version as well. Sucks you've been a victim of it.

Racism is a hyper sensitive issue and I wish it wasn't thrown around all willy-nilly like it is. Just gotta examine these incidents situationally and hope we can progress as a country.

likewise and that would definitely be nice. And agreed. Echo Chambers on the internet are the biggest issue we are up against concerning racists now. It's amazing how stupid the most technically advanced species can be.

IndyRealist
03-16-2019, 09:09 PM
likewise and that would definitely be nice. And agreed. Echo Chambers on the internet are the biggest issue we are up against concerning racists now. It's amazing how stupid the most technically advanced species can be.

Technology always outpaces our ability to be responsible with it.

tredigs
03-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Technology always outpaces our ability to be responsible with it.

Hah, yes, truth. I'm just imagining the first cave men to learn how to create fire, before learning how to properly contain it.

Rinse/repeat.