PDA

View Full Version : Steven A at it again

More-Than-Most
03-12-2019, 02:43 AM
Enter the race card per usual.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11/is-gordon-hayward-getting-favorable-treatment-because-of-his-popularity-with-some-fans/

Stephen A. Smith of ESPN:

And then there’s the element of Boston, Massachusetts. They don’t just want a star. Of course, they’ll take any star that they can get, because their priority is winning. But everybody and their mother knows that particularly when it comes to Boston, if we can have a white superstar, that would be even better. And they view Gordon Hayward as having that kind of potential.

So, all of those things considered, the players recognize this, were aware of this. And ultimately those who were compromised by having to be on a court with Gordon Hayward were sensitive to it.

Not because they don’t like him. Not because he’s not a good guy, because he is a good guy. It’s just that they know he hasn’t fully recovered 100 percent from his injury. So, he’s not the same as he used to be. They know he’s going to be a step slower. They know he’s going to be compromised. I have spoken to people in the league who literally have said, “Look man, no disrespect to Gordon Hayward, nice guy, but he’s really, really compromised right now. He’s not the same guy that he was.” And they said, “We actually kind of feel sorry for him, because he is a nice guy, and we know he’s trying to come back from injury.”

Cracka2HI!
03-12-2019, 03:15 AM
Boston certainly has that reputation. Have no idea if it's true or if it's different for them than most other towns. A white star in a sport like basketball is kind of a big deal so there is that factor as well.

nastynice
03-12-2019, 04:11 AM
Boston certainly has that reputation. Have no idea if it's true or if it's different for them than most other towns. A white star in a sport like basketball is kind of a big deal so there is that factor as well.

Lmao, I was gonna say the same. Not sure if it's true either, but Boston definitely got this kinda feeling to it, I don't know why

Majority of America is white, so I'd expect that a lot of teams fan would want a white star. I don't see anything wrong with it, long as you're not actively tryina sabotage someone's career or something I don't think there's anything wrong with that. People identify with other people of similar race or religion, it's natural

Max.This
03-12-2019, 08:27 AM
White star probably seems like a big deal because their are not many white stars. These fans would trade gordon hayward for anthony davis without hesitation. So is there really a race component here or is there something to be said about him just being a nice guy who went through a really bad injury and people feel bad for him.

Scoots
03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
"Steven A at it again" as a thread title ... we could probably just sticky it. He's always saying something stupid.

SenileStern
03-12-2019, 10:06 AM
I always thought of Dallas as a place that prefers white superstars.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Boston has a rep, earned or not. They did aggressively pursue Bill Russell in 1956, but that doesn't mean the city itself doesn't, or didn't have a preference.

Hayward's injury is really clouding things up. He was a really good player when he signed. He was one of the most coveted free agents that summer, so race has nothing to do with it imo. It's just been obviously frustrating that he got hurt, and hasn't returned to form yet, if he ever will.

tredigs
03-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Obviously it's a tough injury to come back from, but Stephen A is acting like they're trying to bring back a cripple simply because he's white. This dude was a legitimate WC All Star who was leading a very tough Utah squad to 51 wins and the 2nd round before signing. He has also been shooting the lights out for months while accepting his bench role during his recovery. Not to mention obliterated Golden State and had a game winner versus Sac in the past week. He is clearly helping them at this point, and will only get stronger as he recovers. Dude is still relatively young.

Dumb, racist people will say dumb, racist ****.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Obviously it's a tough injury to come back from, but Stepehen A is acting like they're trying to bring back a cripple simply because he's white. This dude was a legitimate WC All Star who was leading a very tough Utah squad to 51 wins and the 2nd round before signing. He has also been shooting the lights out for months while accepting his bench role during his recovery. Not to mention obliterated Golden State and had a game winner versus Sac in the past week.

Dumb, racist people will say dumb, racist ****.

well, like Sharpton or Jackson, Stephen A exists because he makes something out of nothing.

Lil Rhody
03-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Stephen A is the racist here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PropheticGeius
03-13-2019, 12:00 AM
I was once pulled over by a white cop and harassed.

If I were black I'd think it was racism

People like SAS are just setting back their community decades. The vast vast majority of white American's aren't racist and we're the most tolerant and racially diverse country on the planet

Give it a rest SAS

tp13baby
03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Stephen A pulls race cards out of nothing. I don’t think any team cares what color their superstar is, if you are winning the fan base will treat you amazing. Melo vs Jokic. Only difference is Jokics nationality brings a larger interest from the world.

SteBO
03-13-2019, 12:54 PM

People like SAS are just setting back their community decades. The vast vast majority of white American's aren't racist and we're the most tolerant and racially diverse country on the planet

Give it a rest SAS
Except he's speaking about specifically Boston, not the country, so I'm really unsure why you're creating this strawman.

On topic, I've soured on Stephen A over the last couple years, but you're being intellectually dishonest if you think there's no merit to anything he's saying here. This is a reputation Boston has earned over the years. I understand why folks don't wanna hear it though, especially from him.

Hawkeye15
03-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Except he's speaking about specifically Boston, not the country, so I'm really unsure why you're creating this strawman.

On topic, I've soured on Stephen A over the last couple years, but you're being intellectually dishonest if you think there's no merit to anything he's saying here. This is a reputation Boston has earned over the years. I understand why folks don't wanna hear it though, especially from him.

Yeah, I posted that up top, it is a real thing (the rep). But Stephen A is likely building something out of nothing. The reason you stick with Hayward is he was a star player, and you paid him a ton, and you want him to get better, which he likely will.

PropheticGeius
03-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Do you listen to SAS regularly?

Absolutely every opinion he has is seen through this lens of racism towards blacks. Like there is this white mafia running every part of society and their primary objective is to hold down minorities. In response, he must use his platform as a sports commentator to inject racist undertones into every single story that he can in order to fight this unjust mafia that's holding back his race.

This Boston take is just another example of it.

There is no racism going on here. Gordon Hayward was one of the better players in the NBA with the Jazz and the Celtics signed him with that type of production in mind. They also traded for Kyrie Irving (who happens to be black) Signed many other black players, drafted black players, and continue to pay black players to be basketball players.

If Gordon Hayward were black - SAS would have NOTHING to say at all about this situation. It's just another chance for him to divide the country the further and stoke the fires of this non existant racist mafia that's hurting blacks.

It's similar to Jussie Smollett manufacturing a racist attack in order to further an agenda. SAS does this on a smaller scale every single day

Gordon Hayward is a good basketball player on an underperforming team. Race should not even be mentioned

More-Than-Most
03-13-2019, 10:06 PM

every single thing Steven A says has race in it somehow over the last 2 years.

blahblahyoutoo
03-14-2019, 01:41 AM
I think he thinks that the word compromised is a synonym for injured.
“Look man, no disrespect to Gordon Hayward, nice guy, but he’s really, really compromised right now." no one talks like this. srsly.

LaVar Ball
03-14-2019, 11:41 PM
Stephen A Tittayyysss

SenileStern
04-04-2019, 06:36 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/stephen-a-smith-to-negotiate-record-deal-with-espn-highest-paid-235346614.html

Damn Stephen A rumoured to get 10 million a year from ESPN.

Not bad for someone who tells ****. More of an entertainer than reporter. "Lakers should trade for Beal because it wouldn't compromise their plans/cap space in the summer."

Scoots
04-04-2019, 09:36 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/stephen-a-smith-to-negotiate-record-deal-with-espn-highest-paid-235346614.html

Damn Stephen A rumoured to get 10 million a year from ESPN.

Not bad for someone who tells ****. More of an entertainer than reporter. "Lakers should trade for Beal because it wouldn't compromise their plans/cap space in the summer."

ESPN lost a lot of their "talent" because they were unwilling to pay ... they got scared and overpaid SAS.

basch152
04-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Give it a rest SAS

lol, the United states are absolutely not the most tolerant country on the planet, not even remotely close.

racism is still FAR more rampant than you seem to be willing to see.

and outside of race, almost half the country still think LGBT people shouldn't be allowed to marry or adopt, and that same number supports people like Mike pence...who backed conversion therapy - which is literal torture to try to basically torture the gay out of people, which is a practice that was used in the US until very recently, and I actually think some places STILL use it.

we are closer to a nation of bigots than we are to a nation of tolerance and acceptance.

Scoots
04-04-2019, 12:00 PM
lol, the United states are absolutely not the most tolerant country on the planet, not even remotely close.

racism is still FAR more rampant than you seem to be willing to see.

and outside of race, almost half the country still think LGBT people shouldn't be allowed to marry or adopt, and that same number supports people like Mike pence...who backed conversion therapy - which is literal torture to try to basically torture the gay out of people, which is a practice that was used in the US until very recently, and I actually think some places STILL use it.

we are closer to a nation of bigots than we are to a nation of tolerance and acceptance.

You are wrong in a lot of ways ... I'll start with the definition of rampant ... racism is not unchecked.

cmellofan15
04-04-2019, 03:49 PM
every single thing Steven A says has race in it somehow over the last 2 years.

To use this much hyperbole is more stupid than anything I've heard Stephen A Smith say.

cmellofan15
04-04-2019, 03:51 PM
You are wrong in a lot of ways ... I'll start with the definition of rampant ... racism is not unchecked.

You think something that has been institutionalized is somehow in check? Sure, you can't just go around hurling racial epithets anymore, but to say that it's in check is ridiculous.

Scoots
04-04-2019, 04:24 PM
You think something that has been institutionalized is somehow in check? Sure, you can't just go around hurling racial epithets anymore, but to say that it's in check is ridiculous.

I didn't say it was controlled, I said it was not unchecked. If you walk out on the street in most US cities and start saying racist stuff people are going to get in your face. That's resistance. That is not unchecked.

cmellofan15
04-04-2019, 04:38 PM
I didn't say it was controlled, I said it was not unchecked. If you walk out on the street in most US cities and start saying racist stuff people are going to get in your face. That's resistance. That is not unchecked.

un·checked
/ˌənˈCHekt/

adjective
(especially of something undesirable) not controlled or restrained.

If you think racism is just people calling people bad names then I don't know what to tell you. Look at redlining, mass incarceration, achievement gap, etc. that all are alive and well in 2019 and please tell me that racism is "not unchecked".

smith&wesson
04-05-2019, 09:17 AM
Yeah Boston has earn its rep ... I don’t like SAS at all but he isn’t wrong about Boston

Scoots
04-05-2019, 10:16 AM
un·checked
/ˌənˈCHekt/

adjective
(especially of something undesirable) not controlled or restrained.

If you think racism is just people calling people bad names then I don't know what to tell you. Look at redlining, mass incarceration, achievement gap, etc. that all are alive and well in 2019 and please tell me that racism is "not unchecked".

Racism is not unchecked. There is resistance. If there was no resistance then it would be unchecked.