PDA

View Full Version : How would you stagger the Philly 4?

Chronz
03-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Their starting lineup crushes but given the state of their bench, this question is going to become very important for the Loffs. JJ Redick plays into all this but given his age, hes prolly the guy you least want to over extend. I think he should be in primarily with Embiid, that pick/hand-off play they both run just gives their offense an irreplaceable wrinkle, together they are a team leading +12.2 on the year (+12.6 last year). So, do you always have 2 of the 4 out there, do you stretch this to 3 of the 4 all the time?

I think this question basically comes down to what you want to do with Ben Simmons. I think it goes without saying he and Butler are alil harder to maximize together (their player pair +/- is also least impressive amongst the starters), I also dont think its a coincidence that Tobias was the teams leading scorer when Embiid was out with injury during their recent slide.

So if you identify Ben and Embiid as the teams bonafide stars (with JB playing more of a glue guy role and Tobias as the obvious outlet/pressure release guy) then do you ensure that you always have one of them on the floor (ala Pippen/MJ) or do you want them usually together (ala Doc with CP3/Blake). Pros and cons to both...

Jimmy Butler: Prolly the hardest guy to assimilate but arguably the teams biggest x-factor and most proven clutch performer. His his aggression has fluctuated all year, becoming more of a focal point at the end of games. Could prolly stand to use more time as the teams primary option (1a/1b) Kobe-Shaq style with Embiid. Could definitely use Tobias helping him out there but given he'd have JJ, theres enough for him there.

Tobi: Can play with anyone, you could use him as more of a focal point but his off the ball utility is what you want in order to maximize the other stars. I think he obviously should play with with Simmons. That leaves the focal point....

Embiid: The reserve set up that brings out the best in this beast is having JJ, Tobi and/or one of JB/Ben.

A 3rd of Joels minutes have come without Ben Simmons this year, he shoots less 3's and scores more, the team has a higher overall efficiency difference as well(yes I know its against benches but thats the relevance here). That story holds true with Jimmy Butler as well only Embiid becomes even more of a focal point.

Its a very small sample size but Tobias is the only star that hasn't influenced Embiid's scoring rate, tho hes taking more shots to get there. Anyone who watched them of late, feel free to chime in if they have used Tobias and Embiid alone out there, the +/- isn't on the right side tho.

So IDK, I think if this team had gotten Tobi and kept the assets from the Butler trade it mightve been better off. I dont know how they maximize all the pieces but maybe thats what you need in this era of stacking talent.

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Playoffs = rotations shrinking, they’ll be fine I look forward to the Eastern Conferece playoffs this year.

More-Than-Most
03-12-2019, 02:37 AM
Simple... Start them... Sit butler when you sit embiid and leave tobias out there with Ben and JJ.... Once Ben sits you bring in Butler and let him run point... TJ should only be getting 10 minutes a game max... Our issue is our rotations and the fact our coach is a moron...

Fun note--- TJ and JJ hurt this team the most when they are on the floor together because they cant defend and get picked on.... The only duo as bad when they are on the floor together is Ben/TJ.... These 2 rotations should never ****ing happen but they always do.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Simple... Start them... Sit butler when you sit embiid and leave tobias out there with Ben and JJ.... Once Ben sits you bring in Butler and let him run point... TJ should only be getting 10 minutes a game max... Our issue is our rotations and the fact our coach is a moron...

yeah, kinda what I was thinking too. Agree with you