PDA

View Full Version : IF KD leaves, does Curry still have his 2x MVP form in him?

Chronz
03-11-2019, 03:40 PM
When Bron left Miami, both Bosh and Wade were never going to replicate their prior forms statistically (tho in Bosh's case, you could argue he mightve been a more complete player) but that was after 4 years and them being much older initially.

Going for Curry is his utter dominance when KD isn't around (this recent stretch not withstanding) and I do believe last year was arguably his finest, just not as durable for the year, which os what he has going against him. Hes been abit more injury prone the past 2 years than his stretch pre-KD, hes also not gonna be surrounded with anywhere near the support he got during the peak-death(+bench) lineup seasons. Im not sure if theres any sort of atrophy from not playing a certain role but in his case I highly doubt it would do much anyways.

Could Curry pull a Harden-esque carry job if he had to, would he even have to if he can elevate the team around him?

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2019, 03:55 PM
when KD leaves the GSW dynasty is over.

tredigs
03-11-2019, 04:08 PM
His 2 MVP seasons he averaged 27/5/7 on 50/45/91.

Last 2 seasons he's averaging 27/5/6 on 48/43/92.

Same player.

Htownballa1622
03-11-2019, 04:22 PM
I hope so because I feel like we were cheated when Durant went there.

He's about to be 31 though so we'll see. No doubt in my mind he'll still be elite, just not sure how much of a difference it'll be.

Hawkeye15
03-11-2019, 04:30 PM
He may very well have to carry a peak Green/Klay. Feel terrible for the guy.

all jokes aside, the dynasty needs to end sometime. Curry is the ultimate defensive spacer, and if he can stay healthy will still be one of the better 3-4 players in the game.

Hawkeye15
03-11-2019, 04:31 PM
I hope so because I feel like we were cheated when Durant went there.

He's about to be 31 though so we'll see. No doubt in my mind he'll still be elite, just not sure how much of a difference it'll be.

cheated from what? I mean I know the answer but you also realize your 2 stars are choke artists, right? LeBron was cheated way more than the Rox by that measure. He could very well have another title had he not faced the greatest team ever a few times.

ewing
03-11-2019, 04:46 PM
He's washed

Chronz
03-11-2019, 05:22 PM
cheated from what? I mean I know the answer but you also realize your 2 stars are choke artists, right? LeBron was cheated way more than the Rox by that measure. He could very well have another title had he not faced the greatest team ever a few times.
I think he means as a fan of the game, not as a Rox fan. Imagine seeing Curry have to carry more responsibility as his core aged. Both his and KD's advanced numbers and overall use are down since they came together. I guess we could ask the same of KD by that token but I think hes gonna win this longevity debate in the long run.

Hawkeye15
03-11-2019, 05:31 PM
I think he means as a fan of the game, not as a Rox fan. Imagine seeing Curry have to carry more responsibility as his core aged. Both his and KD's advanced numbers and overall use are down since they came together. I guess we could ask the same of KD by that token but I think hes gonna win this longevity debate in the long run.

That would make sense. And I feel the same. Durant cheated us all with his move. All timers are supposed to overcome something, anything to win.

GREATNESS ONE
03-11-2019, 06:03 PM
***Asterisk Championships**

Jamiecballer
03-11-2019, 07:25 PM
when KD leaves the GSW dynasty is over.I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

nastynice
03-12-2019, 12:55 AM

* - bent over the entire league, referred to by other teams as daddy

3 peat Lakers got a few asterisks championships too, bulls too. It's good company :cheers:

More-Than-Most
03-12-2019, 02:33 AM
He will no longer be the threat he was because he basically lost draymond who is a shell of himself on top of the decline of the bench so now curry has to defend which he cant do etc etc etc etc... They better build this team around durant and curry better send him 5 more texts telling him durant can have the MVPs etc he just wants to win because if durant walks its a wrap.

ManningToTyree
03-12-2019, 03:04 AM
He never really lost that form. The dynasty might end this year but curry should be able to continue at his current level for a few more years. His game should age well as long as his ankle holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Htownballa1622
03-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Bingo was his name-o

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Bingo was his name-o

sorry dude, I misunderstood. My b!

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 10:10 AM

oh b.s.

Htownballa1622
03-12-2019, 10:12 AM
sorry dude, I misunderstood. My b!

:hi5: all good.

I am curious though. Which series in the playoffs do you think Harden choked in that his team should've won?

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 10:22 AM
:hi5: all good.

I am curious though. Which series in the playoffs do you think Harden choked in that his team should've won?

he stunk the last 3 games of 2018 against GSW (seriously, 6-36 from 3)
he had 2 terrible games (including game 6 loss) against the Spurs in 2017
he was terrible in game 5 (closing) against GSW in 2015
he was terrible in the 2 opening games against Portland in 2014

His team may not have supposed to beat GSW for example, but he can't just go lay an egg in the biggest games 1-2 times a series. Not acceptable for a player of his caliber. His game 6 against SA in 2017, was exactly what I am talking about. What the hell was that?

Htownballa1622
03-12-2019, 10:41 AM
he stunk the last 3 games of 2018 against GSW (seriously, 6-36 from 3)
he had 2 terrible games (including game 6 loss) against the Spurs in 2017
he was terrible in game 5 (closing) against GSW in 2015
he was terrible in the 2 opening games against Portland in 2014

His team may not have supposed to beat GSW for example, but he can't just go lay an egg in the biggest games 1-2 times a series. Not acceptable for a player of his caliber. His game 6 against SA in 2017, was exactly what I am talking about. What the hell was that?

You and I have different definitions of choke artists. I agree he's had bad games. I also feel he's had awesome games that get unnoticed because of the "choker" narrative. His playoff numbers are on par with that of someone like Kobe who wasn't known as some choker. That's my only issue. If he's a choker, most the league chokes in playoffs. Playoffs are tougher and he's schemed for.

I have no excuse for his poor performances. I've read fatigue, but that isn't good enough for me. To me, he's just been @$$ in certain games. None of those series besides the Portland series was he supposed to win based on seeding. I think he should have won in against Spurs in 2017 too but the others on the team were bad as well.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 11:35 AM
You and I have different definitions of choke artists. I agree he's had bad games. I also feel he's had awesome games that get unnoticed because of the "choker" narrative. His playoff numbers are on par with that of someone like Kobe who wasn't known as some choker. That's my only issue. If he's a choker, most the league chokes in playoffs. Playoffs are tougher and he's schemed for.

I have no excuse for his poor performances. I've read fatigue, but that isn't good enough for me. To me, he's just been @$$ in certain games. None of those series besides the Portland series was he supposed to win based on seeding. I think he should have won in against Spurs in 2017 too but the others on the team were bad as well.

great players are supposed to have great games. Great players don't consistently put up no-shows or terrible games in the playoffs, which Harden has done. Yearly. It's his achilles heal at this point. He needs to shake those playoff demons as bad as anyone in the game.

You don't have to win series you shouldn't. But you also can't lay an egg.

Saddletramp
03-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Those two Portland early games werenít on Harden, they were on McHale for leaving Terrence Jones on LMA and Aldridge scoring 40+ points on him. I donít remember Hardenís numbers but Aldridge just went off. When Asik came in starting the third game, LMA cooled off considerably.

Hawkeye15
03-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Those two Portland early games werenít on Harden, they were on McHale for leaving Terrence Jones on LMA and Aldridge scoring 40+ points on him. I donít remember Hardenís numbers but Aldridge just went off. When Asik came in starting the third game, LMA cooled off considerably.

first 2 games:

14-47 from the field, 12-14 from the line, 5-19 from three, with Harden stinking in both 4th quarters.

Yes, LMA destroyed them. But Harden can't pull his no-shows man. He is too good for the rep he has legit built (ghost at the worst times).

Saddletramp
03-13-2019, 12:10 AM
first 2 games:

14-47 from the field, 12-14 from the line, 5-19 from three, with Harden stinking in both 4th quarters.

Yes, LMA destroyed them. But Harden can't pull his no-shows man. He is too good for the rep he has legit built (ghost at the worst times).

Iirc, they were blowouts and pushing it ainít gonna be a quick fix. Aldridge (more like McHale) was the reason for that but yeah, those numbers arenít good, either.

valade16
03-13-2019, 11:54 AM
As to the question, I don't think we'll ever see 2016 Curry again.

GREATNESS ONE
03-13-2019, 11:56 AM
oh b.s.

:laugh2:

tredigs
03-13-2019, 06:26 PM
As to the question, I don't think we'll ever see 2016 Curry again.

He's had a bad month along with the rest of the Warriors and that has dipped his stats, but he does not appear to be any of less of a player to me right now. Even the first few weeks of the season before he went down for the month, he was putting up >30/5/5 on >50/50/90 (on a higher volume 3pt pace than 2016 when he broke 400). As is he's on the same volume 3pt pace as that season, only reason he won't get there is the missed games. I think we'll see an MVP level Curry again next year. Likely the year after that as well.

valade16
03-13-2019, 06:41 PM
He's had a bad month along with the rest of the Warriors and that has dipped his stats, but he does not appear to be any of less of a player to me right now. Even the first few weeks of the season before he went down for the month, he was putting up >30/5/5 on >50/50/90 (on a higher volume 3pt pace than 2016 when he broke 400). As is he's on the same volume 3pt pace as that season, only reason he won't get there is the missed games. I think we'll see an MVP level Curry again next year. Likely the year after that as well.

Curry is still playing extremely well (and has for most of KD's arrival). But he's not at the insane 2016 level. Putting up those numbers for a couple weeks to start the year is a lot different than doing it over 82 games as he did in 2016.

I think if KD leaves we'll see MVP-level Curry again, but 2016 was only-unanimous-MVP-in-NBA-history level. I don't think we'll see that level again. I doubt he can top or even equal the advanced slash he put up in 2016.

tredigs
03-13-2019, 08:31 PM
Curry is still playing extremely well (and has for most of KD's arrival). But he's not at the insane 2016 level. Putting up those numbers for a couple weeks to start the year is a lot different than doing it over 82 games as he did in 2016.

I think if KD leaves we'll see MVP-level Curry again, but 2016 was only-unanimous-MVP-in-NBA-history level. I don't think we'll see that level again. I doubt he can top or even equal the advanced slash he put up in 2016.

For sure, not a level that can be expected to be sustained, but at least relevant that he was at that very level until he went down. It's still there for sure.