PDA

View Full Version : Zion Williamson injured in UNC/Duke game

redsox12
02-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Just happened minutes ago, announced he will not return. Waiting on official word on how bad it is, this could be major draft implications.

PAOboston
02-20-2019, 10:56 PM
This could be a really bad injury for a guy that big. But I still think he goes #1 because passing up on him might be just too hard and have so many implications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tredigs
02-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Didn't look that bad at first glance. ****ing crazy that he split his shoe completely apart though. Good job Nike.

As for the draft, he's going 1st overall, it doesn't matter if this is somewhat serious (stays out the rest of the season) or not. Sorry about all the fans who just blew $2,000 to watch him play tonight though. Rough.

tredigs
02-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Duke (huge favorites tonight), getting absolutely wiped off the floor without him, by the way. As an aside, this is why you don't make future bets on favorites, or really anyone (Duke to win the Championship, Warriors to win the championship, etc).

Hustla23
02-20-2019, 11:43 PM
College "sports" is an exploitative sham.

dhopisthename
02-21-2019, 12:46 AM
I think shutting it down for the rest of the year is probably his best long term career option regardless of the injury, but I doubt any competitive person would want to do that though.

Lil Rhody
02-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Cost me $800. Ugh I thought I had it last night

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

warfelg
02-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Ok so, not commenting on the pay the players or draft aspect.

But I've seen people RIPPING Nike on the shoe blowing out and how that they make a poor product and things like that. Um, if the reports are right, that's a 6'9" 280 LB man that tried to do a jump stop and change direction when landing. What do you expect?

MarkieMark48
02-21-2019, 09:06 AM
As a Duke fan I hate it, but he should shut it down the rest of the year. No point in playing anymore.

Side note.. this is all a plot by Lebron, he talked to nike and told them to make a shoe that will rip apart, Zion gets hurt and his draft stock drops, Lakers miss the playoffs and get a lucky lottery draw and due to injury concerns he falls to the Lakers in the draft.

Heediot
02-21-2019, 09:52 AM
They are title contenders. As such, I don't think he should sit out if he is medically cleared.

Heediot
02-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Duke (huge favorites tonight), getting absolutely wiped off the floor without him, by the way. As an aside, this is why you don't make future bets on favorites, or really anyone (Duke to win the Championship, Warriors to win the championship, etc).

For College there have been way stud more 1 and done classes that have failed to win the title vs. ones that Capitalized. Just on that fact, I wouldn't bet on Duke this year winning it all. Not saying they can't but odds are vs. them even with 4 stud freshmen. Only AD's cats and Jahlil's devils won.

Pittz
02-21-2019, 11:08 AM
The Duke-Syracuse matchup Saturday is going to be a bit different than expected, no Zion and TBD what happens since Boeheim killed a man last night...

Tg11
02-21-2019, 11:24 AM
This probably hurts Zion's draft stock if anything because with the injury he slips to #2 or even #3 in the draft

Nunuu
02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
UNC was winning the whole game, even before he got hurt. He is not that impressive, the next Michael Beasley

TheDish87
02-21-2019, 11:57 AM
They are title contenders. As such, I don't think he should sit out if he is medically cleared.

he wont. he has already gone on record when (i forget who, maybe Pippen?) someone recently said he should sit out and he had a very good response to why he would never sit out. I dont think this injury is serious, he might sit out til the Conf tourny or the big dance but if he is cleared he will be back.

TheDish87
02-21-2019, 11:58 AM
UNC was winning the whole game, even before he got hurt. He is not that impressive, the next Michael Beasley

he got hurt 30 seconds into the game lol the UNC basket came while he was down on the other end. Yikes, have a worse take.

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Even when he gets hurt it's a crazy showing of raw explosiveness. The dude's shoe explodes.

This guy is not human. His game is a bit raw, his shooting needs work, and he's not that tall. IDC about any of that because he's an total freak and is easily the #1 pick.

tredigs
02-21-2019, 12:23 PM
The Duke-Syracuse matchup Saturday is going to be a bit different than expected, no Zion and TBD what happens since Boeheim killed a man last night...

Holy **** just reading that story now. Yikes.

ewing
02-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Unreal how quickly basketball got so soft. People are calling for Zion to sit it out even if healthy. Not long ago people would have killed him for that but If I'll stop before some turd says "well, its a business"

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Wow, that's a crazy story

Driven
02-21-2019, 03:49 PM

I'm up here in 'Cuse country. Crazy. Within hours, Syracuse had a much needed blowout win, Zion got hurt, and the Boeheim ran over someone on the highway. It'll be an interesting Saturday, that's for sure.

Pittz
02-21-2019, 05:10 PM
I'm up here in 'Cuse country. Crazy. Within hours, Syracuse had a much needed blowout win, Zion got hurt, and the Boeheim ran over someone on the highway. It'll be an interesting Saturday, that's for sure.

I'm from Syracuse, been texting family and friends about it all day. Unreal.

Heediot
02-21-2019, 05:34 PM
nike stocks are down after the injury.

they are going to give him a 8 figure annual deal to boost back the stock.

he might have made himself some money.

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2019, 06:18 PM
he put on 100lbs in 2 years.... the guy is headed for Tractor Trailer territory.

Driven
02-21-2019, 07:19 PM
I'm from Syracuse, been texting family and friends about it all day. Unreal.

Looks like ESPN pulled game day from there on Saturday.

Also seems like Boeheim is completely complying and it was just a freak accident.

GREATNESS ONE
02-21-2019, 08:15 PM
He's going to need custom made shoes tbh...

FlashBolt
02-22-2019, 02:26 AM
nike stocks are down after the injury.

they are going to give him a 8 figure annual deal to boost back the stock.

he might have made himself some money.

that's not how stocks work.

FlashBolt
02-22-2019, 03:02 AM
so apparently Zion had been wearing that shoe for quite some time. Barkley and Shaq were saying how they wore a shoe for a week max and switched it because the moisture and shoe stretches when you're constantly using them. This could be the case here where because he plays with so much force and lands heavy on his shoes. he should be fine but this is the problem with the NCAA and I think it finally took the most marketable college player since God knows when to highlight and possibly put an end to it. The tickets to the games were ridiculously priced and all because of Zion. He should be able to pocket some of the money because when he gets injured so the NCAA pockets that money, they will shove Zion aside for the next star. I don't agree with kids going straight to the NBA after High School. maybe they already do it but the G-League should be open for those who don't wish to attend college, they can play in the G-League for a year or two and then declare for the draft.

ewing
02-22-2019, 08:45 AM
so apparently Zion had been wearing that shoe for quite some time. Barkley and Shaq were saying how they wore a shoe for a week max and switched it because the moisture and shoe stretches when you're constantly using them. This could be the case here where because he plays with so much force and lands heavy on his shoes. he should be fine but this is the problem with the NCAA and I think it finally took the most marketable college player since God knows when to highlight and possibly put an end to it. The tickets to the games were ridiculously priced and all because of Zion. He should be able to pocket some of the money because when he gets injured so the NCAA pockets that money, they will shove Zion aside for the next star. I don't agree with kids going straight to the NBA after High School. maybe they already do it but the G-League should be open for those who don't wish to attend college, they can play in the G-League for a year or two and then declare for the draft.

Poor Zion. Playing basketball in front of screaming fans and having people carter to him where ever he goes, endless options, free school, housing, and women throwing themselves at him. Something should be done!

Heediot
02-22-2019, 08:55 AM
that's not how stocks work.

stocks fluctuate and it might be just a coincidence that it went down after the injury, but if the stock leans more toward a down trend by May-June and is a little worrisome, I can see them handing him a lucrative deal to zion for pr and image fix. barring health, it would be a good investment in and of itself just based on his marketability even if you exclude the embarrassing incident for them imo. having sign a deal after breaking their shoe is just icing on the cake and in this context looks good for them to boot.

zookman65
02-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Ya let's worry more about the for profit college team than the player. I care more about the individual and as such he should do what he feels best for himself. Luka said it best - perhaps 17 and 18 year old studs from the US should go to Europe for a year or two and get paid handsomely while building their skills. But that would upset our model of college sports free labor.

ewing
02-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Ya let's worry more about the for profit college team than the player. I care more about the individual and as such he should do what he feels best for himself. Luka said it best - perhaps 17 and 18 year old studs from the US should go to Europe for a year or two and get paid handsomely while building their skills. But that would upset our model of college sports free labor.

He could do that if he wanted. He could not play like Mitchell Robinson if he wanted. No one is exploiting Zion. The NBA has every right to make a certain level of experience a qualifier for employment just like anyone else. You can think itís stupid but itís there right. Zion is a very lucky boy. He plays basketball in front of thousands of screaming fans, he lives and goes to school for free, he is worshiped. He should be grateful. Most people will never experience anything close to this. Playing for Duke is his choice. It might not be the soundest ďbusinessĒ choice but i donít think itís one I would pass up either.

zookman65
02-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Of course it's his choice. That's not my point. It's also his choice if he decides to shut it down for the season as he isnt being compensated. Stop the guise that his 1 year of college at Duke is comp. It's not.

ewing
02-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Of course it's his choice. That's not my point. It's also his choice if he decides to shut it down for the season as he isnt being compensated. Stop the guise that his 1 year of college at Duke is comp. It's not.

He is being compensated. He could decide that the compensation he is receiving is not worth the risk he is taking but he is certainly being compensated

tredigs
02-22-2019, 10:48 AM
He is being compensated. He could decide that the compensation he is receiving is not worth the risk he is taking but he is certainly being compensated

The BS part is the kids on athletic scholarship not being allowed to work and/or receive any outside compensation (IE sign marketing deals). Athletes are stupidly held to a different standard than all other students (scholarship or not) in that regard, but why? Ticket prices and all that are just inflated by secondary markets, has nothing to do with the school.

ewing
02-22-2019, 10:54 AM
The BS part is the kids on athletic scholarship not being allowed to work and/or receive any outside compensation (IE sign marketing deals). Athletes are stupidly held to a different standard than all other students (scholarship or not) in that regard, but why? Ticket prices and all that are just inflated by secondary markets, has nothing to do with the school.

Idk, I think your point is a lot better one then Duke isnít compensating Zion

Heediot
02-22-2019, 11:19 AM

I don't care about the loot. This is about a once in a lifetime chance to win a national title as an individual accolade/legacy. That feat helps the resume of the basketball hall of fame too.

FlashBolt
02-22-2019, 11:21 AM
stocks fluctuate and it might be just a coincidence that it went down after the injury, but if the stock leans more toward a down trend by May-June and is a little worrisome, I can see them handing him a lucrative deal to zion for pr and image fix. barring health, it would be a good investment in and of itself just based on his marketability even if you exclude the embarrassing incident for them imo. having sign a deal after breaking their shoe is just icing on the cake and in this context looks good for them to boot.

Lol. this isn't stretching to that. these stock fluctuates because there isn't any news and any slight news can trigger anything. remember the supporting Colin news? stock dropped and look at it now. these aren't actual news that would cause any concern for them. plus, Zion has been wearing that shoe for quite some time. it was recommended he switch shoes for athletes.

ewing
02-22-2019, 11:40 AM
I don't care about the loot. This is about a once in a lifetime chance to win a national title as an individual accolade/legacy. That feat helps the resume of the basketball hall of fame too.

Plus you get to dunk on Tar Heels in Cameron Indoor then walk into a college party and be like ďwho will sex Zion?Ē Itís the stuff dreams are made of

ewing
02-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Plus you get to dunk on Tar Heels in Cameron Indoor then walk into a college party and be like ďwho will sex Zion?Ē Itís the stuff dreams are made of

Pb

TheDish87
02-22-2019, 11:55 AM

it will all be forgotten about by monday if it hasnt already.

zookman65
03-01-2019, 01:11 AM
Idk, I think your point is a lot better one then Duke isnít compensating Zion

Just curious what your definition of compensation is pertaining to Zion's one and one year at Duke. I would agree they are giving him an opportunity to demonstrate his skills but he is not being comped. Fall semester of school is irrelevant and zero cost to the institution. I dont care what he does honestly - my point is he should do what he thinks is best for his well being. It could be to play in the tournament.

Saddletramp
03-01-2019, 03:12 AM

Whoís paying for all of these shoes? They canít make money and they canít accept gifts and they canít sign endorsement deals. Is it on their parents to send $150 shoes every week so they donít rip apart?

TheDish87
03-01-2019, 10:37 AM
the schools sponsor (Nike) provides all of their gear-apparel, sneakers, warm ups, etc, etc this is common knowledge.

ewing
03-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Just curious what your definition of compensation is pertaining to Zion's one and one year at Duke. I would agree they are giving him an opportunity to demonstrate his skills but he is not being comped. Fall semester of school is irrelevant and zero cost to the institution. I dont care what he does honestly - my point is he should do what he thinks is best for his well being. It could be to play in the tournament.

If he did't play basketball and went to Duke he would pay for school plus room and board. I don't know why you think these things are free and/or zero cost. He is also given the platform and opportunity to play for an all time great college coach.

zookman65
03-01-2019, 10:48 PM
If he did't play basketball and went to Duke he would pay for school plus room and board. I don't know why you think these things are free and/or zero cost. He is also given the platform and opportunity to play for an all time great college coach.

The opportunity is the key. The one year of Duke is irrelevant. How much do you think it costs Duke to put him in a few classes for one semester? 200 dollars for a desk? There is no incremental cost to putting the students in a class for 3 months in the sham that is One and Done to keep the guise of amateur athletics. Nobody forced him to go and I dont feel sorry for him but I am not going to agree that the players are compensated. The school is (cold hard cash), the kids arent.

ewing
03-02-2019, 02:06 AM
The opportunity is the key. The one year of Duke is irrelevant. How much do you think it costs Duke to put him in a few classes for one semester? 200 dollars for a desk? There is no incremental cost to putting the students in a class for 3 months in the sham that is One and Done to keep the guise of amateur athletics. Nobody forced him to go and I dont feel sorry for him but I am not going to agree that the players are compensated. The school is (cold hard cash), the kids arent.

Iím sure it cost over 50, 000 to go to Duke for a year and Im sure it cost Duke a lot more then 200 dollars to school, house, educate, feed, and provide services for a year