PDA

View Full Version : Should honorary All-Stars become a thing?

Chronz
02-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Saw this discussed on The Jump, it was cool for Wade/Dirk but should this become a tradition? How would you feel if next year in Chicago, D-Rose was our honorary all-star?

TrueFan420
02-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Only if itís the last year their playing. Otherwise, only players that earn it that year. Also 1 per conference or 2 total.

mgomrjsurf
02-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Yes.

IndyRealist
02-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Saw this discussed on The Jump, it was cool for Wade/Dirk but should this become a tradition? How would you feel if next year in Chicago, D-Rose was our honorary all-star?

I think if it's a regular thing it cheapens the honor. It should -only- be considered for obvious first ballot HoFers who dramatically impacted the game, and only if they have declared before the season starts that it will be their final season.

tredigs
02-19-2019, 10:20 PM
I didn't love it simply for the fact that they open the door for debate on certain guys careers and whether or not they're worthy of the nod going forward. Maybe if they set a distinction of, "only 10+ Time All Stars are eligible" or something to that effect, to try to take out some of the subjectivity or favoritism. That would leave a guy like VC a bit short of consideration, which does feel correct.

Tg11
02-20-2019, 07:25 AM
I say yes but only if and only if the player in question is set to retire

ewing
02-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Who cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
02-20-2019, 11:04 AM
I didn't love it simply for the fact that they open the door for debate on certain guys careers and whether or not they're worthy of the nod going forward. Maybe if they set a distinction of, "only 10+ Time All Stars are eligible" or something to that effect, to try to take out some of the subjectivity or favoritism. That would leave a guy like VC a bit short of consideration, which does feel correct.

bingo. It makes me sick when guys use accolades that we all know don't matter to pump a guy up. This is no different.

Hawkeye15
02-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Who cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, better answer right here

STRIKERC
02-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Absolutely!
But, like others have said it should only be awarded to "players" who are in their last season.

It should be two guys a year like they did with Dirk and Wade. .

As far as who should be awarded the honorary all star, i think it should be awarded to guys who have been exemplary professionals throughout their career. Guys who are well respected by their peers.

My list of guys who should be awarded includes

Udonis Haslem
Jamal Crawford
Vince Carter
Tyson Chandler
Kyle Korver

It should absolutely be a thing.

STRIKERC
02-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Totally disagree.
There's a reason we are calling it honorary all stars. It should be done, and it shouldn't be limited to career all stars either. This may be a way for the NBA to reward longevity and exemplary character.

Burkey3472
02-20-2019, 11:32 AM
It's going to be hard to have it for players that are retiring at the end of the season because a lot of players don't even know they are retiring at seasons end. I'd say they should have it but you can only get it one time. I would love to see a 15-year vet who's been solid but not all star level their whole career get a nod like that.

STRIKERC
02-20-2019, 11:34 AM
It's going to be hard to have it for players that are retiring at the end of the season because a lot of players don't even know they are retiring at seasons end. I'd say they should have it but you can only get it one time. I would love to see a 15-year vet who's been solid but not all star level their whole career get a nod like that.

If a guy doesn't clearly indicate it's their last season they don't get in, period.

AntiG
02-20-2019, 11:56 AM
its a good thing. Long time vets/all-time players are great ambassadors for the game. However, they should be extra slots on the roster given that All-Star appearances factor into contract negotiations and also for HOF voters so it would not be the best thing to rob a player of a spot for a guy that clearly doesn't deserve it in terms of performance but as a career award.

TheDish87
02-20-2019, 05:09 PM
i like it for guys we know are retiring that were perennial all stars like Dirk and Wade. I was expecting someone on each team to give their starting spot for em too just like how Vince Cater gave up his for Jordans last all star game. Speaking of Carter, he will prob be on the retirement tour next year himself.

TheDish87
02-20-2019, 05:11 PM

problem is the ASG is so selective with fan voting starters. VC is a hall of fame player and quite arguably the best dunk contest performer of all time which should also be taken into consideration when viewing his career in this sense

tredigs
02-20-2019, 08:04 PM
problem is the ASG is so selective with fan voting starters. VC is a hall of fame player and quite arguably the best dunk contest performer of all time which should also be taken into consideration when viewing his career in this sense

Right, which is why I though tbey made it a subjective/annoying thing they got themselves into. Though, to Ewings point, who cares.