PDA

View Full Version : Dell demps stood up to tampering and got fired for it. Did the pels screw up?

Giannis94
02-19-2019, 12:02 AM
Right up there with hinke.as far as I'm concerned. Stands up to tampering and did what so few people refuse to do aside from himself and Giannis (see the clips online).

Did the pels botch this situation as well? I feel like they did. He's got the respect of 28 other gms in the league. I want him in my front office. Right next to hinke.

More-Than-Most
02-19-2019, 12:24 AM
no its a get out of jail free card because he is bad anyhow... yes the lakers clearly tampered but in my opinion so did the pelicans with pop and agents pressuring him not to make a trade because of the tampering from lebron etc... 2 wrongs dont make a right.

cmellofan15
02-19-2019, 12:28 AM
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/basketball/professional/giannis-antetokounmpo-reiterates-that-he-wants-lebron-james-to-join/article_d8977090-39c9-5a65-bc65-0c8a2fcfde29.html

This Giannis stands up to tampering....?

smith&wesson
02-19-2019, 12:45 AM
If he was a good gm he would have found a way to build around Davis imo

More-Than-Most
02-19-2019, 02:02 AM
If he was a good gm he would have found a way to build around Davis imo

lmfao.... why do people keep thinking AD didnt have help... Jrue is actually a top PG and the roster has depth etc... He went out and got cousins and then got randle.

McAllen Tx
02-19-2019, 07:21 AM
Me personally applaud Demps for how he went out. He didn't go out as a chump. He didn't let Paul/LBJ punk him. I also don't think his contract would've been extended even if he would've traded AD. His fate in NO was was attached to AD and he lost AD so now he lost his job. Plus I believe he's still gonna get paid whatever remains on his contract so it's not like he lost out on money. He's on paid vacation so to speak for as long as his contract was for.

As for him not putting a team together for AD is ridiculous IMO. First off, NO isn't a free agent hot bed so you can scratch that off as a possible way to get players. He simply had to rely on drafting and trading. Demps traded for Holiday coming off an all-star season, he traded for Cousins who was a perenial all-star, he traded for Mirotic who was setting the league on fire at the beginning of the season and he signed Randle who has been a 20/10 guy this season. And yet NO is still a trash team.

IMO Davis is another Cousins/Love. Perenial losers putting up ALL-NBA #s on sorry teams. Instead of being the player to build a winning team around they need to go join a winning team.

More-Than-Most
02-19-2019, 07:30 AM
Me personally applaud Demps for how he went out. He didn't go out as a chump. He didn't let Paul/LBJ punk him. I also don't think his contract would've been extended even if he would've traded AD. His fate in NO was was attached to AD and he lost AD so now he lost his job. Plus I believe he's still gonna get paid whatever remains on his contract so it's not like he lost out on money. He's on paid vacation so to speak for as long as his contract was for.

As for him not putting a team together for AD is ridiculous IMO. First off, NO isn't a free agent hot bed so you can scratch that off as a possible way to get players. He simply had to rely on drafting and trading. Demps traded for Holiday coming off an all-star season, he traded for Cousins who was a perenial all-star, he traded for Mirotic who was setting the league on fire at the beginning of the season and he signed Randle who has been a 20/10 guy this season. And yet NO is still a trash team.

IMO Davis is another Cousins/Love. Perenial losers putting up ALL-NBA #s on sorry teams. Instead of being the player to build a winning team around they need to go join a winning team.

:clap:

Chronz
02-19-2019, 10:43 AM
His negligence cost him AD, he's fired regardless. Definitely nothing like hinkie, in fact, hinkie tricked him into taking holiday

TrueFan420
02-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Do the Pels have talent? Yes. Is that talent put together horribly? Yes.

He constructed a team with the wrong players. They never really fit all that well. He made the right move by not caving to the Lakers but letís not act like heís got a history of putting the right team around AD.

STRIKERC
02-19-2019, 11:40 AM
Do the Pels have talent? Yes. Is that talent put together horribly? Yes.

He constructed a team with the wrong players. They never really fit all that well. He made the right move by not caving to the Lakers but letís not act like heís got a history of putting the right team around AD.

Some of the pieces they had would've amounted to "the right team" had his superstar player been the type who makes others around him better.

PAOboston
02-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Demps didnít get fired because of the Lakers negotiations. He got fired for the previous years of not being able to build a good enough team to help keep Davis in NO.

Him losing his job was inevitable after failing to properly build around a franchise talent like Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoots
02-19-2019, 12:40 PM
I do wonder how much blame should got to AD. He's a great talent, but some of the blame has to fall at his feet.

MygirlhatesCod
02-19-2019, 01:33 PM
I do wonder how much blame should got to AD. He's a great talent, but some of the blame has to fall at his feet.

the two times he has led the pels to the playoffs not so much because they ended up losing to the team everyone lost to anyway. but in between those years are 60% him and 40% the team built for him. of course they weren't constructed to win a championship but if AD really is a top 5 player he should be able to at least pull out that last seed. a consistent playoff team would make the pels an appealing location for a free agent and it would also further expose the front office.

WestCoastSportz
02-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Demps should have been fired a long time ago and the way he handled the Davis situation was the last straw. He was a GM that continued to trade away first round picks. While other teams use the draft as a way to build a team, he's trading them for guys like Mirotic and Cousins. Those two cost them Buddy Hield, who was the 6th overall pick and their 2017 (10th) and 2018 first round picks (22nd). Neither Mirotic or Cousins is even on the roster anymore and they traded Mirotic for a couple of second round picks. The Bulls will also have the option to swap picks with them in 2021, which maybe costly when the time comes.

If he had just swallowed his pride and made the trade with the Lakers, who could have saved his job. He probably could have gotten Kuzma, Ingram, Caldwell-Pope and Ivan Zubac for Davis. Holiday, Caldwell-Pope, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle could have been a pretty darn good line up, especially one to build upon. This would have also given them nearly $30M to spend on a free agent this Summer.

TrueFan420
02-19-2019, 02:24 PM
Some of the pieces they had would've amounted to "the right team" had his superstar player been the type who makes others around him better.
Not so sure about that. Jru is good but heís a 3rd option at best. Jru was an all star in the east but isnít close to one in the west and also has injury issues. Who else have they had? Cousins was the closest thing but that injury really messed everything up. If he had stayed healthy we might have seen what they actually could do but weíll never know. So he had 3/4s of a season with a legit partner and even then while both really talented many argued heíd have been better off with a 2/3 as a runningmate than 5.

Mitroic and Randel are nice pieces but their complimentary. Then thereís a lot of wasted dollars on role players.

Only thing Iíll say about AD making it difficult was his insistence on being a 4 not a 5. They wasted time and money on finding him a player to partner with down low. League was starting to trend away from that and he makes a better 5.

MygirlhatesCod
02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Demps should have been fired a long time ago and the way he handled the Davis situation was the last straw. He was a GM that continued to trade away first round picks. While other teams use the draft as a way to build a team, he's trading them for guys like Mirotic and Cousins. Those two cost them Buddy Hield, who was the 6th overall pick and their 2017 (10th) and 2018 first round picks (22nd). Neither Mirotic or Cousins is even on the roster anymore and they traded Mirotic for a couple of second round picks. The Bulls will also have the option to swap picks with them in 2021, which maybe costly when the time comes.

If he had just swallowed his pride and made the trade with the Lakers, who could have saved his job. He probably could have gotten Kuzma, Ingram, Caldwell-Pope and Ivan Zubac for Davis. Holiday, Caldwell-Pope, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle could have been a pretty darn good line up, especially one to build upon. This would have also given them nearly $30M to spend on a free agent this Summer.

pretty much last years lakers that have regressed or stayed the same? nah...

the pels shouldnt be stuck with any teams stagnant leftovers. if anything they need picks. if it was kuzma/salary fill and 4 firsts it would be better. those picks would have been amazing if they started after Lebrons contract is up.

WhiteShadow42
02-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Some of it was actually bad luck. They were playing pretty well just before Cousins went down. They could have been a top 4 team the way they were constructed last year. Their strength was Golden States weakness. Two superstar big men. That wasn't Demps's fault. I don't know if he had pressure from ownership to not do the AD trade with the Lakers. So I can't judge him on that.

beasted86
02-19-2019, 09:28 PM
His negligence cost him AD, he's fired regardless. Definitely nothing like hinkie, in fact, hinkie tricked him into taking holiday
Tricked? He got hosed.

Holiday for Nerlens Noel is lopsided no matter how you look at it.

CityofTreez
02-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Demps has blundered, but Divac owned him on the Cousins trade, and he deserved the axe!

LakerPride
02-19-2019, 10:01 PM
who doesnt tamper?

IndyRealist
02-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Cousins got hurt. Just a couple of years ago Sacramento "got robbed" trading Cousins and all of you thought Hield would bust. Mirotic is only gone because AD quit on his team and they have to start over. This a HUGE stretch to try to justify your pro-Laker agenda.

smith&wesson
02-20-2019, 04:22 PM
lmfao.... why do people keep thinking AD didnt have help... Jrue is actually a top PG and the roster has depth etc... He went out and got cousins and then got randle.

Jrue & Davis have needed help for years. not one or two years but years and years. .

You can't tell me that you think that tandem is good enough to compete for a ship in todays NBA.

Cousins was a good get but he got injured and then walked in free agency. didn't have the impact they were hoping for.

Mirotic and Randle were also good gets but in this league you need star power and these guys are very good but don't help Davis compete with the Warriors.

valade16
02-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Some of it was actually bad luck. They were playing pretty well just before Cousins went down. They could have been a top 4 team the way they were constructed last year. Their strength was Golden States weakness. Two superstar big men. That wasn't Demps's fault. I don't know if he had pressure from ownership to not do the AD trade with the Lakers. So I can't judge him on that.

Even if the injury was bad luck for him, realizing how the Pelicans played with Boogie, him not re-signing Cousins, particularly after how little he went to GS for was inexcusable.

At least throughout this year AD could have been telling himself that once Boogie came back they'd be better.

Saddletramp
02-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Even if the injury was bad luck for him, realizing how the Pelicans played with Boogie, him not re-signing Cousins, particularly after how little he went to GS for was inexcusable.

At least throughout this year AD could have been telling himself that once Boogie came back they'd be better.

Ehhhhh, they offered a guaranteed $40 million over two years (with half a year being a wash and who knows how the injury would affect the other year and a half) but Cousins stupidly thought heíd get a max somewhere and declined. The Pelicans withdrew the offer which was probably a mistake but Cousins only went to GS to get a title. I doubt he wouldíve stayed in New Orleans for anything remotely similar.

He wanted to stick it to the league.

valade16
02-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Ehhhhh, they offered a guaranteed $40 million over two years (with half a year being a wash and who knows how the injury would affect the other year and a half) but Cousins stupidly thought heíd get a max somewhere and declined. The Pelicans withdrew the offer which was probably a mistake but Cousins only went to GS to get a title. I doubt he wouldíve stayed in New Orleans for anything remotely similar.

He wanted to stick it to the league.

I think we can safely say it was a mistake at this point.

Saddletramp
02-20-2019, 06:01 PM
I think we can safely say it was a mistake at this point.

Thatís a lot of money for uncertainty, though. And if he already rejected it and didnít ask for it again (because he called Myers the very first night), then Iím not sure he wouldíve even accepted it if it was still on the table. Cousins acted like a child and flipped out when he wasnít getting multiple max offers. If he would have waited, he probably wouldíve gotten way better deals from teams then what he ended up with but I doubt the Orlandos and Phoenixs of the league thought that they had a chance.

valade16
02-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Thatís a lot of money for uncertainty, though. And if he already rejected it and didnít ask for it again (because he called Myers the very first night), then Iím not sure he wouldíve even accepted it if it was still on the table. Cousins acted like a child and flipped out when he wasnít getting multiple max offers. If he would have waited, he probably wouldíve gotten way better deals from teams then what he ended up with but I doubt the Orlandos and Phoenixs of the league thought that they had a chance.

It's not like there was any less uncertainty had they let him walk. They gambled on Cousins to keep AD and then jettisoned Cousins almost immediately after that gamble took a setback in the form of an injury.

As for whether he accepted it, I'm sure his camp knew that New Orleans had pulled the offer. I get being scorned, but I highly doubt Cousins takes a 1 year $5 mil deal with GS if NO doesn't pull their 2 year $20 mil per deal.

I'm not saying that it would have worked out had they signed Cousins. They could be right where they are now with AD wanting to leave and Cousins taking an extra $20 mil. But by letting Cousins walk, and by getting rid of Rondo, they assured themselves of getting to this point.

b-ballistic
02-20-2019, 07:17 PM
While everyone else was going small, they went big. Didn't work.

WhiteShadow42
02-20-2019, 10:01 PM

Ok that part I agree. He should have also tried very hard to keep Rondo. He was great in the playoffs for them.
A one year deal for Boogie would have been a win win situation. At least AD would have felt that they were trying very hard to keep that nucleus. As a Lakers fan I would have loved to get AD, but with that circus created by his agent left a bad taste in my mouth.

Saddletramp
02-20-2019, 10:10 PM
It's not like there was any less uncertainty had they let him walk. They gambled on Cousins to keep AD and then jettisoned Cousins almost immediately after that gamble took a setback in the form of an injury.

They tried to keep him, though. He just thought he was still worth a max immediately after that injury. Iím sure Cousinsí agent asked around to see what kind of offers an injured Cousins was going to get as soon it happened. And I bet no offers were at the level of the Pelicans offer. I wouldnít even be surprised if the Pelicans found out that no one was going to touch $40 million and thatís when they pulled the offer, turning Cousins angry.

As for whether he accepted it, I'm sure his camp knew that New Orleans had pulled the offer. I get being scorned, but I highly doubt Cousins takes a 1 year $5 mil deal with GS if NO doesn't pull their 2 year $20 mil per deal.

He wanted a max, didnít want the $40 and then immediately went directly to GS (I think he, himself called Bob Myers iirc). Iím sure he would have gotten more than that $5 had he waited but like a petulant child, he immediately put his short term monetary goals on hold so he could be a foregone conclusioned champion and get a meaningless ring that should probably be held against him in the long run (assuming he never wins while leading his own team to a title) if weíre being honest.

The Pelicans couldnít wait around to see if Cousins would eventually get a different deal and leave them without a plan B. Mighta been different if Cousins asked for it back before the Pels used it but hissyfits are usually pretty shortsighted.

I'm not saying that it would have worked out had they signed Cousins. They could be right where they are now with AD wanting to leave and Cousins taking an extra $20 mil. But by letting Cousins walk, and by getting rid of Rondo, they assured themselves of getting to this point.

After the injury and assuming AD still wanted out, the near future Pelicans would have turned into the near past Kings if Cousins accepted that deal. That injury really screwed them up for a half decade.

Chronz
02-21-2019, 08:15 PM

Not saying it's for sure but there were grumblings that ad would've found it hard to leave cousins if their contracts ran concurrently. He was really let down by a declining team after how hard he had to play to make up for the loss of his sidekick.

Reminds me of tmac going nuts (legit the best stretch of basketball ive ever seen from a swing since 2k3)after losing mike Miller, demanding a trade thereafter

FlashBolt
02-22-2019, 03:51 AM
Not saying it's for sure but there were grumblings that ad would've found it hard to leave cousins if their contracts ran concurrently. He was really let down by a declining team after how hard he had to play to make up for the loss of his sidekick.

Reminds me of tmac going nuts (legit the best stretch of basketball ive ever seen from a swing since 2k3)after losing mike Miller, demanding a trade thereafter

I remember there were talks of AD being disappointed if they didn't resign Rondo. Pelicans let Rondo walk for $9 million after Rondo was huge in helping them make the playoffs after Cousins injury and also beating the Trailblazers. Who did they replace Rondo with? Elfrid Payton. If you're AD, you're pretty much wondering what in the world this franchise is doing. I don't blame the guy for wanting to leave. They have given him no incentive to want to stay despite him saying he loves New Orleans.

FlashBolt
02-22-2019, 03:57 AM
They tried to keep him, though. He just thought he was still worth a max immediately after that injury. Iím sure Cousinsí agent asked around to see what kind of offers an injured Cousins was going to get as soon it happened. And I bet no offers were at the level of the Pelicans offer. I wouldnít even be surprised if the Pelicans found out that no one was going to touch $40 million and thatís when they pulled the offer, turning Cousins angry.

He wanted a max, didnít want the $40 and then immediately went directly to GS (I think he, himself called Bob Myers iirc). Iím sure he would have gotten more than that $5 had he waited but like a petulant child, he immediately put his short term monetary goals on hold so he could be a foregone conclusioned champion and get a meaningless ring that should probably be held against him in the long run (assuming he never wins while leading his own team to a title) if weíre being honest.

The Pelicans couldnít wait around to see if Cousins would eventually get a different deal and leave them without a plan B. Mighta been different if Cousins asked for it back before the Pels used it but hissyfits are usually pretty shortsighted.

After the injury and assuming AD still wanted out, the near future Pelicans would have turned into the near past Kings if Cousins accepted that deal. That injury really screwed them up for a half decade.

I very very very much doubt Cousins doesn't take that 2 for $40 million contract if it was offered again during the offseason. Pelicans likely tried to bamboozle Cousins because of his injury and significantly lowballed him. Cousins saw that as a slight and wanted to make the rest of the league pay for not offering him something that was worth his value. Granted, he was coming off a huge injury and the Warriors were likely the only team capable of having him sit out for the majority of the season and come right back into a winning culture but Cousins and Davis had stated that they talk about it all the time in regards to what they could have achieved together if Pelicans resigned him. That doesn't sound like someone who would have left the Pelicans if he was given a decent offer. IMO, Pelicans thought they could get Cousins on the cheap because of his injury, waited for Cousins to test the market, Cousins didn't get solid offers from other team in the same price range that he wanted so he said screw it, I'm going to the Warriors and ya'll better not complain. All of this boils down to the Pelicans being a terrible franchise, really. Can anyone explain why they chose not to resign Rondo? Because Rondo was the veteran presence on that team who kept everyone organized. No Rondo and this team is lost in terms of who they are.

Saddletramp
02-22-2019, 04:22 AM
I very very very much doubt Cousins doesn't take that 2 for $40 million contract if it was offered again during the offseason.

I wonder what the Pelicans would have offered after the first one was rescinded. After figuring out (I assume) that Cousins got no better offers, the Pelicans would have been betting against themselves and instead of negotiating, Cousins just threw a hissyfit. I doubt they even had a chance to counter, but Iíd wager they would have put that original offer back up if it meant AD would stay happy.

Pelicans likely tried to bamboozle Cousins because of his injury and significantly lowballed him. Cousins saw that as a slight and wanted to make the rest of the league pay for not offering him something that was worth his value. Granted, he was coming off a huge injury and the Warriors were likely the only team capable of having him sit out for the majority of the season and come right back into a winning culture but Cousins and Davis had stated that they talk about it all the time in regards to what they could have achieved together if Pelicans resigned him. That doesn't sound like someone who would have left the Pelicans if he was given a decent offer. IMO, Pelicans thought they could get Cousins on the cheap because of his injury, waited for Cousins to test the market, Cousins didn't get solid offers from other team in the same price range that he wanted so he said screw it, I'm going to the Warriors and ya'll better not complain.

He wasnít banboozled at the beginning, though. He had to have known that he wasnít going to get a max anywhere and $40 over 2 while also keeping his Bird Rights seems fair. Heís just an idiot. A low IQ, bully, idiot. And heís going to get a free ring while doing what JaVale and ZaZa were doing. But yeah, the rest of your timeline there at the end seems about right, but thatís what I was saying before.

All of this boils down to the Pelicans being a terrible franchise, really. Can anyone explain why they chose not to resign Rondo? Because Rondo was the veteran presence on that team who kept everyone organized. No Rondo and this team is lost in terms of who they are.

Agree with this. No idea why they didnít re-sign Rondo. Did we ever find out if they were done with him or if he was done with them? I donít know if they had the money (I assume they could have made it work). But yes, Demps was terrible. I wouldnít lay the Cousins fiasco 100% on him though.

MygirlhatesCod
02-22-2019, 10:17 AM
I wonder what the Pelicans would have offered after the first one was rescinded. After figuring out (I assume) that Cousins got no better offers, the Pelicans would have been betting against themselves and instead of negotiating, Cousins just threw a hissyfit. I doubt they even had a chance to counter, but Iíd wager they would have put that original offer back up if it meant AD would stay happy.

He wasnít banboozled at the beginning, though. He had to have known that he wasnít going to get a max anywhere and $40 over 2 while also keeping his Bird Rights seems fair. Heís just an idiot. A low IQ, bully, idiot. And heís going to get a free ring while doing what JaVale and ZaZa were doing. But yeah, the rest of your timeline there at the end seems about right, but thatís what I was saying before.

Agree with this. No idea why they didnít re-sign Rondo. Did we ever find out if they were done with him or if he was done with them? I donít know if they had the money (I assume they could have made it work). But yes, Demps was terrible. I wouldnít lay the Cousins fiasco 100% on him though.

There are a few arguments for the blame to be placed squarely on demps for Cousins leaving.

The main one being why would you give up so much without the intention of keeping Cousins regardless of injury? the man is still young and has the body type to bounce back from his injury.

Secondly giving up on him by not paying him showed Davis that the next step was regression. the money issue should have been non existent especially with how much Solomon hill was given. That's the slap in the face if you ask me. a world where Solomon hill is better than a return from injury cousins doesn't exist. anyone that doesn't think cousins is at least twice the player hill is might be insane. By that logic Cousins should have be given a 4 year 96 mil offer.

Alayla
02-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Tricked? He got hosed.

Holiday for Nerlens Noel is lopsided no matter how you look at it.

Noel and Saric plus i think the pick that later got moved up for Fultz was effectively the return

FlashBolt
02-22-2019, 01:24 PM

I thought Cousins should have taken that offer but you can't blame him not to, right? A free agent should have the most options available and Cousins probably wanted to see what options were available first. If Pelicans really wanted him and to appease AD, they would have kept that offer open. The fact Cousins was willing to put his ego (and the guy has a lot of that) aside to join the Warriors for $5 million almost proves that the guy was lowballed. They probably offered him like $8 million...

Saddletramp
02-22-2019, 02:56 PM
I thought Cousins should have taken that offer but you can't blame him not to, right? A free agent should have the most options available and Cousins probably wanted to see what options were available first. If Pelicans really wanted him and to appease AD, they would have kept that offer open. The fact Cousins was willing to put his ego (and the guy has a lot of that) aside to join the Warriors for $5 million almost proves that the guy was lowballed. They probably offered him like $8 million...

I donít know if he ever came back to see what the Pels would give after he got no max offers from around the league. His agent probably checked around, only got low offers, told DMC and then DMC flipped and just went straight to the phone to call Myers. What a terrible negotiator. Iím sure other teams figured someone would gamble so they didnít put much thought into an offer and they had probably already heard about the 2/40 the Pels has previously given and wouldnít touch that.

These talented but non competitive pricks are ruining the NBA. If you take KD and DMC pussyasses off the Warriors, the league would have about 8 serious contenders and be pretty thrilling. As is, I guess the Eastern Conference playoffs will be fun. I donít wish injury on anyone but injuries will be the only thing noteworthy coming out of GS games.

Saddletramp
02-22-2019, 02:59 PM
There are a few arguments for the blame to be placed squarely on demps for Cousins leaving.

The main one being why would you give up so much without the intention of keeping Cousins regardless of injury? the man is still young and has the body type to bounce back from his injury.

Secondly giving up on him by not paying him showed Davis that the next step was regression. the money issue should have been non existent especially with how much Solomon hill was given. That's the slap in the face if you ask me. a world where Solomon hill is better than a return from injury cousins doesn't exist. anyone that doesn't think cousins is at least twice the player hill is might be insane. By that logic Cousins should have be given a 4 year 96 mil offer.

Bigs donít come back from those at the same rate. Maybe Cousins will, but thatís a huge gamble. The Hill contract is terrible but irrelevant here. Canít judge a healthy playerís offer to a guy that just had his Achilles snap.

MygirlhatesCod
02-23-2019, 02:59 PM
Bigs donít come back from those at the same rate. Maybe Cousins will, but thatís a huge gamble. The Hill contract is terrible but irrelevant here. Canít judge a healthy playerís offer to a guy that just had his Achilles snap.

People say that about bigs but I canít think of any example that makes it legitimate. Most players that have had the same injury were much older. Am I forgetting someone?

beasted86
02-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Noel and Saric plus i think the pick that later got moved up for Fultz was effectively the return

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/holidjr01.html

July 12, 2013: Traded by the Philadelphia 76ers with Pierre Jackson to the New Orleans Pelicans for Nerlens Noel and a 2014 1st round draft pick (Elfrid Payton was later selected).

Effectively Jrue for Noel and Saric. Still completely hosed.

Saddletramp
02-24-2019, 05:31 AM
People say that about bigs but I canít think of any example that makes it legitimate. Most players that have had the same injury were much older. Am I forgetting someone?

Brand comes to mind and he was under 30. Cousins is a physical freak, though and might be a franchise max player again. Then again, when he was The Man, the Kings sucked and I donít think a team that uses him as the perfect Big complimentary player can afford him at that rate. Then again, Lacob got him under the table.

More-Than-Most
02-24-2019, 05:38 AM
Brand comes to mind and he was under 30. Cousins is a physical freak, though and might be a franchise max player again. Then again, when he was The Man, the Kings sucked and I donít think a team that uses him as the perfect Big complimentary player can afford him at that rate. Then again, Lacob got him under the table.

cousins will be a max player for the knicks or lakers... He isnt stupid. I am a cousins fan but i am a bit worried if he will return to form... That is going to be interesting to see how much trust those franchises have in him.

Saddletramp
02-24-2019, 06:08 AM
cousins will be a max player for the knicks or lakers... He isnt stupid. I am a cousins fan but i am a bit worried if he will return to form... That is going to be interesting to see how much trust those franchises have in him.

If he goes to the Knicks, will he be worth it? Or will they still suck? Now, if he and Kyrie go (or Durant lol), then they might be good even if Cousins doesnít get back to his pre-injury self. Time will tell.

ewing
02-24-2019, 07:02 PM

Sorry but he is clearly dumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastSportz
02-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Demps was the GM for the Hornets/Pelicans for 8 years. In those 8 years, he's has had 2 first round picks. One was Anthony Davis in 2014 and the other was Buddy Hield in 2016, who they ended up trading away for a one year rental of Cousins. Thats not how you put a team together. You draft these young players, put them together and let them build that chemistry. Thats how the Warriors did it. Thats how the Bucks did with Giannis and Middleton. The Sixers did it that way with Simmons and Embiid. You have that young core, then you add that veteran player like a Bledsoe or Butler. Its team building 101. Demps failed to put young talent around Davis and thats why they're not competing. Even if they kept Hield with Holiday and Davis, they would be a much better team.

MygirlhatesCod
02-25-2019, 04:51 PM

yeah that injury for brand led to a whole bunch of others. forgot about him.

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-26-2019, 01:09 PM
I don't know what was actually on the table, but if the Pels turned down an offer of Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, Hart, and 2 first rounders (I've heard that as a rumor)... then they let their pettiness get in the way of a good deal. Now, part of the problem is that Lonzo's dad opened his mouth and I can totally get whey the Pels would feel that they didn't want to deal with that circus. So then the offer perhaps would have excluded Ball, which could be why the Pels wanted 2 more first rounders to replace Lonzo in the deal.

IDK, I'm just guessing. But I think the Pels should have taken a deal if all those rumors are true. Them basically getting the entire Lakers young core, adding it to what they have, and then using their own high pick this year to build from is not a bad way to kick start a rebuild.

Chronz
02-27-2019, 04:36 PM
Demps was the GM for the Hornets/Pelicans for 8 years. In those 8 years, he's has had 2 first round picks. One was Anthony Davis in 2014 and the other was Buddy Hield in 2016, who they ended up trading away for a one year rental of Cousins. Thats not how you put a team together. You draft these young players, put them together and let them build that chemistry. Thats how the Warriors did it. Thats how the Bucks did with Giannis and Middleton. The Sixers did it that way with Simmons and Embiid. You have that young core, then you add that veteran player like a Bledsoe or Butler. Its team building 101. Demps failed to put young talent around Davis and thats why they're not competing. Even if they kept Hield with Holiday and Davis, they would be a much better team.

Bingo, they made the same mistake the cavs did with young bron. Tried to win before their time came.