PDA

View Full Version : Different eras playing against each other

Tg11
02-18-2019, 02:30 AM
If we had different eras playing against each other, what would be your starting five? My bench would consist of 7 players:

My 90s Starting Five

PG- John Stockton
SG- M.J. (Jordan)
SF- Pippen
PF- Karl Malone
C- David Robinson

Bench- Gary Payton (PG), Reggie Miller (SG), Grant Hill (SF), Charles Barkley (PF), Patrick Ewing (C), Tim Hardaway, Sr (PG), Chris Mullin (SG)

Vs.

My 2000s Starting Five

PG- Steve Nash
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal

Bench- Allen Iverson (PG), Dwyane Wade (SG), Tracy McGrady (SF), Dirk Nowitzki (PF), Yao Ming (C), Jason Kidd (PG), Ray Allen (SG)

Mr.B
02-18-2019, 02:59 AM
If we had different eras playing against each other, what would be your starting five? My bench would consist of 7 players:

My 90s Starting Five

PG- John Stockton
SG- M.J. (Jordan)
SF- Pippen
PF- Karl Malone
C- David Robinson

Bench- Gary Payton (PG), Reggie Miller (SG), Grant Hill (SF), Charles Barkley (PF), Patrick Ewing (C), Tim Hardaway, Sr (PG), Chris Mullin (SG)

Vs.

My 2000s Starting Five

PG- Steve Nash
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal

Bench- Allen Iverson (PG), Dwyane Wade (SG), Tracy McGrady (SF), Dirk Nowitzki (PF), Yao Ming (C), Jason Kidd (PG), Ray Allen (SG)

I would replace David Robinson with Dream who abused a young Shaq in the Finals. I would also replace Tim Hardaway with Penny Hardaway.

basch152
02-18-2019, 03:49 AM
I would replace David Robinson with Dream who abused a young Shaq in the Finals. I would also replace Tim Hardaway with Penny Hardaway.

I was gonna say, how do you put Robinson AND Ewing in over olajuwon. that's insanity

there's an interview of shaq talking about how he considered olajuwon his only equal from the 90s, with players like Ewing and Robinson being clear inferiors to them.

shaq's immense respect for him is all you need to know to know how truly special of a player he was.

COOLbeans
02-18-2019, 03:55 AM
The Olajuwon omittance makes the entire thread suspect. Nice idea though

More-Than-Most
02-18-2019, 06:36 AM

My 90s Starting Five

PG- John Stockton
SG- M.J. (Jordan)
SF- Pippen
PF- Karl Malone
C- David Robinson

Vs.

My 2000s Starting Five

PG- Steve Nash
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal

Id go any team with lebron/Shaq/Duncan... that is 3 of the top 5 players ever..... Also I like the spacing with Nash but against stockton i feel like kidd would be a better starter and Nash would get abused. I also feel like the bench on the 2000s unit is way stronger... I hate Iverson but holy **** iverson/wade/Tmac/Ming is just disgusting lol... then you have kidd and allen.

Chronz
02-18-2019, 09:58 AM
IKH is gonna cream when he sees this

Get bum ewing out tho

JAZZNC
02-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Id go any team with lebron/Shaq/Duncan... that is 3 of the top 5 players ever..... Also I like the spacing with Nash but against stockton i feel like kidd would be a better starter and Nash would get abused. I also feel like the bench on the 2000s unit is way stronger... I hate Iverson but holy **** iverson/wade/Tmac/Ming is just disgusting lol... then you have kidd and allen.

And you left off Dirk who's better than all of those you listed except Wade.

tredigs
02-18-2019, 12:51 PM
80's:

PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Bird
PF: McHale
C: Moses

Bench: Kareem, Dr. J, Zeke, Nique, Dream

90's:

PG: Stockton
SG: Jordan
SF: Pippen
PF: Barkley
C: Dream

Bench: Payton, Reggie, Clyde, Shaq, Robinson

00's:

PG: Nash
SG: Wade
SF: Lebron
PF: Duncan
C: Shaq

Bench: Kidd, Kobe, TMac, Dirk, KG

10's:

PG: Curry
SG: Kobe
SF: Lebron
PF: Anthony Davis
C: Dwight Howard

Bench: CP, Durant, Giannis, Kawhi, Harden

Always sort of hard with the crossover, so I used some twice if they had at least 3 or 4 prime years in each decade. And I mostly sticked with best players over best team. I'd have weird inclusions if it's best team.

Scoots
02-18-2019, 02:23 PM
What rule set are they playing under?

Tg11
02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
5 on 5 like think All Star Game but you have a starting 5 but 7 bench players

Mr.B
02-18-2019, 06:46 PM

What rules they play by would also play a major role. If theyre playing by early 90s rules Im not sure that 2000s team would have the testicular fortitude to hang with that early 90s team.

Scoots
02-18-2019, 08:28 PM
5 on 5 like think All Star Game but you have a starting 5 but 7 bench players

So, no defense, just a stupid exhibition game.

YAALREADYKNO
02-20-2019, 10:39 PM
That 00 squad tho 🔥

zookman65
03-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Would we want to assume the old era squads learned about math and the fact that 3 points is greater than 2? The Ringer did a great long article yesterday on the 3 point revolution and showed data that demonstrates 23 foot shots have a greater expected points added than shots that are 2 feet out!. If the old era teams dont shoot more 3's they would get blown out by the current era all star team