PDA

View Full Version : African basketball league

Tg11
02-17-2019, 09:56 PM
Since NBA is in partnership with FIBA to develop an African league...what do you all think about this? I hope we get to see more Africans playing the game of basketball just like how we see Europeans playing the game and Asians too but with more exposure who knows maybe we see more players from overseas from African countries coming into the NBA

blahblahyoutoo
02-17-2019, 11:15 PM
don't we already have a few africans in the league? embiid, giannis, luol deng.

Tg11
02-18-2019, 01:58 AM

Yeah but I also mean more Africans coming in...if that happens it actually makes the league more interesting if you think about it. The game of basketball we all love so much is not only a global game but by having more people playing it in other countries, it not only exposes us to more potential superstars on the horizon that we are not even aware of but it actually helps grow the game over in other African countries who don't have basketball as their dominant sport.

mike_noodles
02-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Well then. Mission accomplished.

c.c.
02-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Most foreign players donít be such divas and whine about market size.

Could be a great thing for the league

More-Than-Most
02-19-2019, 07:56 AM
good but i wonder if we will see any asian or white south Africans in this league. What is the perimeters exactly? I know very little about this and am curious of what the rules will be and what will be justified as being allowed to participate in the league. How will this differ from the nba?

McAllen Tx
02-19-2019, 08:43 AM
So should we expect an influx of 19 year old Africans? We will know they're all 19 years old cause they will all have hand written birth certificates to prove it.

crewfan13
02-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Problem is most of the players in the "African" players in the league fled Africa at a young age or at worst move in high school. Guys like embiid, pascal siakim, and lux Richard mbah a moute made it to age 15 or so before they moved,but a lot of the others weren't really discovered or on pro radar until they were in a different country. Giannis was discovered in Greece, deng in the UK, Thon Maker in Australia and I'm sure there's others.

If FIBA can really create leagues with feeder programs, almost something similar to baseball acedemies in the Dominican, it could really open up the continent to basketball. Right now, it seems that most of the players who make it out of Africa make it due to freakish size or athleticism. And that's at least partially due to the lack of true skills development. You don't often see skilled guys who are somewhat athletically limited come from Africa. You can get some of those types from Europe since they have legitimate basketball programs. So it would take time, but a quality basketball program that starts at the ground level could be hugely beneficial in Africa. Problem is, you have to find a way to not make it exploitative if you start at a young age.

Tg11
02-19-2019, 12:36 PM
good but i wonder if we will see any asian or white south Africans in this league. What is the perimeters exactly? I know very little about this and am curious of what the rules will be and what will be justified as being allowed to participate in the league. How will this differ from the nba?

I mean it is possible and by them coming into our league it gives the NBA even more exposure which is what you want

JAZZNC
02-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Problem is most of the players in the "African" players in the league fled Africa at a young age or at worst move in high school. Guys like embiid, pascal siakim, and lux Richard mbah a moute made it to age 15 or so before they moved,but a lot of the others weren't really discovered or on pro radar until they were in a different country. Giannis was discovered in Greece, deng in the UK, Thon Maker in Australia and I'm sure there's others.

If FIBA can really create leagues with feeder programs, almost something similar to baseball acedemies in the Dominican, it could really open up the continent to basketball. Right now, it seems that most of the players who make it out of Africa make it due to freakish size or athleticism. And that's at least partially due to the lack of true skills development. You don't often see skilled guys who are somewhat athletically limited come from Africa. You can get some of those types from Europe since they have legitimate basketball programs. So it would take time, but a quality basketball program that starts at the ground level could be hugely beneficial in Africa. Problem is, you have to find a way to not make it exploitative if you start at a young age.
Good luck with that last part. It happens in the US.