PDA

View Full Version : How would kobes rape case be habdled/viewed in today's era

Giannis94
02-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Serious question. I've read the stuff and I think that all of us agree that it would be handled extremely different if it happened today than when it did. I personally find it repulsive that many people still worship him the way they do.

How would this situation be handled if kobe was in his prime and did the exact same thing? Would players trash him? Or would they stfu because the dude can ball?

More-Than-Most
02-10-2019, 10:41 PM
you would be better off putting this in general discussion area if at all... they will lock this my dude. Nothing good can come of this.

Giannis94
02-10-2019, 10:46 PM
you would be better off putting this in general discussion area if at all... they will lock this my dude. Nothing good can come of this.
It's a serious question. And honestly, if someone can't deal with this thread then they need to stop being soft.

ThomasTomasz
02-10-2019, 11:11 PM
It's a serious question. And honestly, if someone can't deal with this thread then they need to stop being soft.

While I would agree, let me be clear- this is a thread that will be watched, and we will close it at the first sign of things getting off the rails or personal attacks being thrown around.

More-Than-Most
02-10-2019, 11:17 PM
In my opinion he would have been forced out of the NBA and the authorities would have did a much better job all around and most importantly the media would not have helped him get away with this... What I mean by that is this

Despite being charged with sexual assault and false imprisonment—facing life in prison—and tearfully confessing to committing adultery with his 19-year-old accuser, Bryant’s case never made it to trial. On Sept. 1, 2004, one week before opening statements were to be made, the case was dismissed after the accuser, who had been dragged through the mud for months by the media

That right there is what killed this case... Today it would be the exact opposite... Kobe was lucky that didnt happen in todays world because in todays world he would be guilty before being proven innocent and would be the one dragged through the mud and destroyed... That really isnt right either but what the media and people did to that girl in defense of this dude because he plays a sport was disgusting.

Chronz
02-11-2019, 01:00 AM
in the metoo believe all women era? hed be fine, just less rich. prolly hated on by the plethora of soyboys and sjw's we have today. i doubt anyone would buy the story of a literal cumdumpster. if it were to happen in the next decade when the libtards eventually elect alexandria cortez or some other sellout, he would be burned at the stake

gogo
02-11-2019, 01:54 AM
Covered up, minimized, forgotten.

Scoots
02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
In my opinion he would have been forced out of the NBA and the authorities would have did a much better job all around and most importantly the media would not have helped him get away with this... What I mean by that is this

Despite being charged with sexual assault and false imprisonment—facing life in prison—and tearfully confessing to committing adultery with his 19-year-old accuser, Bryant’s case never made it to trial. On Sept. 1, 2004, one week before opening statements were to be made, the case was dismissed after the accuser, who had been dragged through the mud for months by the media

That right there is what killed this case... Today it would be the exact opposite... Kobe was lucky that didnt happen in todays world because in todays world he would be guilty before being proven innocent and would be the one dragged through the mud and destroyed... That really isnt right either but what the media and people did to that girl in defense of this dude because he plays a sport was disgusting.

She still would have been dragged through the mud, look at the Kavanaugh case. That said, she wouldn't have been allowed to drop the case by "her advisers".

Chronz
02-11-2019, 01:07 PM
She still would have been dragged through the mud, look at the Kavanaugh case. That said, she wouldn't have been allowed to drop the case by "her advisers".

True. Except They tried to drag him through the mud but the ***** kept forgetting and had nothing but coincidental timing

Giannis94
02-11-2019, 02:09 PM
How would the NBA handle it? Would they be like the NFL and just give random punishments?

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 02:57 PM
lmfao you and your little vendetta against the LA Lakers

Giannis94
02-11-2019, 03:53 PM
lmfao you and your little vendetta against the LA Lakers

Rape is not a laughing matter.

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Only when it's your mind

lakerfan85
02-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Hopefully it would be Habdled the right way..

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Hopefully it would be Habdled the right way..

Habled? lol

lakerfan85
02-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Habled? lol

That’s what the title of the thread is asking.

RaiderLakersA's
02-11-2019, 05:18 PM
I don't think Kobe's situation would have been handled any differently. The burden is always "innocent until proven guilty", especially when this pertains to the quasi-privileged wealthy athlete.

We applaud women like Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for coming forward and telling her story in front of the world. We hold the women who brought down Weinstein and Cosby, and many others, in high regard for the same reason. Not everyone can do it, but sometimes to ensure that justice is done, you have to trudge through hell and high water to see it through.

Let's be clear: the reason why the prosecutors did not take the case to trial was because the alleged victim refused to testify. I'm not victim blaming or shaming, but the reality is if she had somehow found the courage to take the stand and see the case through, it's very likely that Kobe would have gone to prison. Of that I am absolutely certain. We're talking about Eagle, Colorado, which was around 90% White. I'm not saying that there is a deliberate racial component or agenda, but the fact of the matter is that whenever a Black defendant faces a jury of mostly White jurors, the odds of being found guilty increases.

The prosecutors felt the case was falling apart for many reasons, but perhaps the most damning was the fact that the alleged victim pursued a civil action against Kobe Bryant even before the criminal case had made its way to trial. Think about that for a minute.

Quinnsanity
02-11-2019, 06:05 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It really amazes me that this isn't relitigated more in the Me Too era. I mean, he won an Oscar. I guess nobody wants to be the person to demonize someone for something that may or may not have happened 15 years ago, that there are more present battles to fight, but for that to happen right as Me Too is taking off still strikes me as strange.

I'm trying to think of what would happen if a modern star of '04 Kobe's ilk had this exact same scandal now. I don't know what would happen. I truly don't. This isn't the NFL, where every player is replaceable. If like, Stephen Curry or KD were in this situation and were cut by the Warriors, there would be a line of desperate teams around the block ready to sign them no matter what they did. They would for the simple fact that there might not be another way for like the Orlando Magic or Minnesota Timberwolves to get a player like that, so I can't see their career ending entirely.

The league response is what I'd be most curious about, because the NBA has an identity as the woke league. If we're being absolutely technical, they banished Donald Sterling for less than what Kobe was accused of (though you could argue that the totality of Sterling's scumbaggery was the real reason he was disposed of, not just one incident). I really don't know any of this, but I think it's a really interesting conversation.

Leftcoast_yg
02-11-2019, 06:08 PM
In b4 close

Scoots
02-11-2019, 06:16 PM
I don't think Kobe's situation would have been handled any differently. The burden is always "innocent until proven guilty", especially when this pertains to the quasi-privileged wealthy athlete.

We applaud women like Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for coming forward and telling her story in front of the world. We hold the women who brought down Weinstein and Cosby, and many others, in high regard for the same reason. Not everyone can do it, but sometimes to ensure that justice is done, you have to trudge through hell and high water to see it through.

Let's be clear: the reason why the prosecutors did not take the case to trial was because the alleged victim refused to testify. I'm not victim blaming or shaming, but the reality is if she had somehow found the courage to take the stand and see the case through, it's very likely that Kobe would have gone to prison. Of that I am absolutely certain. We're talking about Eagle, Colorado, which was around 90% White. I'm not saying that there is a deliberate racial component or agenda, but the fact of the matter is that whenever a Black defendant faces a jury of mostly White jurors, the odds of being found guilty increases.

The prosecutors felt the case was falling apart for many reasons, but perhaps the most damning was the fact that the alleged victim pursued a civil action against Kobe Bryant even before the criminal case had made its way to trial. Think about that for a minute.

Just to clarify, Weinstein hasn't been found guilty yet and neither was Kavanaugh so 1 for 3 on your examples.

We crucify without proof now more than ever.

Saddletramp
02-11-2019, 06:16 PM
^^^^Kirk Douglas got a lifetime achievement award and a standing ovation just last year and he raped Natalie Wood. People voted for a self proclaimed ***** grabber. Chris Brown still makes records and sells tickets. Floyd Mayweather still rakes in millions and is welcomed on the Laker sideline.

I have a few other thoughts that I’ll keep to myself as this isn’t the place for them.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
^^^^Kirk Douglas got a lifetime achievement award and a standing ovation just last year and he raped Natalie Wood. People voted for a self proclaimed ***** grabber. Chris Brown still makes records and sells tickets. Floyd Mayweather still rakes in millions and is welcomed on the Laker sideline.

I have a few other thoughts that I’ll keep to myself as this isn’t the place for them.

haha, spot on. In the moment, he probably would have taken more heat, and a bigger hit to his pocketbook. But scumbags with power and/or money always recover. And in many cases, and not to defend Kobe, but sometimes people make mistakes, and can learn from them.

Scoots
02-11-2019, 07:01 PM
haha, spot on. In the moment, he probably would have taken more heat, and a bigger hit to his pocketbook. But scumbags with power and/or money always recover. And in many cases, and not to defend Kobe, but sometimes people make mistakes, and can learn from them.

So is the reason Mel Gibson went away so quiet because he drunkenly verbally went after jews and not hitting/raping women?

Chronz
02-11-2019, 07:54 PM
So is the reason Mel Gibson went away so quiet because he drunkenly verbally went after jews and not hitting/raping women?
Thought he said something about hoping his wife would get raped by a pack of nword. Forgot why he went away before his triumphant return in that daddy movie

Chronz
02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It really amazes me that this isn't relitigated more in the Me Too era. I mean, he won an Oscar. I guess nobody wants to be the person to demonize someone for something that may or may not have happened 15 years ago, that there are more present battles to fight, but for that to happen right as Me Too is taking off still strikes me as strange.

I'm trying to think of what would happen if a modern star of '04 Kobe's ilk had this exact same scandal now. I don't know what would happen. I truly don't. This isn't the NFL, where every player is replaceable. If like, Stephen Curry or KD were in this situation and were cut by the Warriors, there would be a line of desperate teams around the block ready to sign them no matter what they did. They would for the simple fact that there might not be another way for like the Orlando Magic or Minnesota Timberwolves to get a player like that, so I can't see their career ending entirely.

The league response is what I'd be most curious about, because the NBA has an identity as the woke league. If we're being absolutely technical, they banished Donald Sterling for less than what Kobe was accused of (though you could argue that the totality of Sterling's scumbaggery was the real reason he was disposed of, not just one incident). I really don't know any of this, but I think it's a really interesting conversation.
Hollywood loves that sort of behavior, don't be fooled by their wizardry. That and the lady was a literal cumbucket

Chronz
02-11-2019, 08:11 PM

In retrospect I should've voted trump or nothing at all. Grabbing groupies is easy to go with when the alternative literally laughs at rape victims, has the most suspicious body count and characters around her while being married to another questionable figure to put it mildly.

Idk much about the chris brown story tho

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 09:01 PM
That’s what the title of the thread is asking.

Lmfao

Cracka2HI!
02-11-2019, 09:41 PM
I think it's very surprising he hasn't had to go into hiding. I'm not sure why #MeToo doesn't apply to him.

Giannis94
02-11-2019, 09:53 PM
I think it's very surprising he hasn't had to go into hiding. I'm not sure why #MeToo doesn't apply to him.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Instead of going into hiding he's placed on a pedestal

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Remember that time the Clippers almost got Kobe? Lol

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Instead of going into hiding he's placed on a pedestal

Kinda like Donald?

Cracka2HI!
02-11-2019, 10:51 PM
Remember that time the Clippers almost got Kobe? Lol

Yes.

GREATNESS ONE
02-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Yes.

:laugh:

Saddletramp
02-12-2019, 01:53 AM
In retrospect I should've voted trump or nothing at all. Grabbing groupies is easy to go with when the alternative literally laughs at rape victims, has the most suspicious body count and characters around her while being married to another questionable figure to put it mildly.

Meh, that was the least of his red flags.

Idk much about the chris brown story tho

Ask Rhianna’s face. You’ll get a couple of good stories.

gogo
02-12-2019, 04:15 AM
Corey Maggette also a (alleged) rapist:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25976301/ex-player-corey-maggette-named-duke-rape-case-report-says

RaiderLakersA's
02-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Perhaps because justice was served to the victim's satisfaction? No, it didn't end in a criminal conviction for Kobe, but the victim's attorneys pushed for a lucrative settlement, which they got. One way or the other in the eyes of the law Kobe paid for the crime/tort.

And perhaps it's because Kobe has shown nothing but contrition ever since?

I get the impression that some here are expecting more than a pound of flesh for the alleged wrongdoing. Why is that? The best that we can hope for when a person wrongs someone else is for them to make amends and never repeat that act ever again. That's it. To expect anything else speaks more to our own twisted sense of disproportionate retribution than anything else.

Chronz
02-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Meh, that was the least of his red flags.

Ask Rhianna’s face. You’ll get a couple of good stories.
Agreed, hence my regret voting for hillary.

Ive seen the pics. Idk ****

Chronz
02-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Corey Maggette also a (alleged) rapist:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25976301/ex-player-corey-maggette-named-duke-rape-case-report-says
Damn I think I remember that scandal but honestly didn't think he was involved.

Chronz
02-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Perhaps because justice was served to the victim's satisfaction? No, it didn't end in a criminal conviction for Kobe, but the victim's attorneys pushed for a lucrative settlement, which they got. One way or the other in the eyes of the law Kobe paid for the crime/tort.

I get the impression that some here are expecting more than a pound of flesh for the alleged wrongdoing. Why is that? The best that we can hope for when a person wrongs someone else is for them to make amends and never repeat that act ever again. That's it. To expect anything else speaks more to our own twisted sense of disproportionate retribution than anything else.

Yeah but what do you believe. There is no middle ground here. Was he a rapist in regret or was she a fawning groupie?

gogo
02-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Kobe (allegedly) bent her over a chair, grabbed her by the throat and f-cked her until she bled. The blood and DNA evidence were on his shirt.

But he had a great lawyer and the sympathy of the media.

Cracka2HI!
02-12-2019, 11:11 PM

I get the impression that some here are expecting more than a pound of flesh for the alleged wrongdoing. Why is that? The best that we can hope for when a person wrongs someone else is for them to make amends and never repeat that act ever again. That's it. To expect anything else speaks more to our own twisted sense of disproportionate retribution than anything else.That's fair and you could be right. None the less I think it's surprising he has gotten a pass.

Yeah but what do you believe. There is no middle ground here. Was he a rapist in regret or was she a fawning cumbucket?

I always looked at his apology as more of a confession. His words...

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was
consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this
incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery,
listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now
understand how she feels that she did not consent to this
encounter.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1872928

Scoots
02-13-2019, 02:20 AM

Because today's culture, particularly in Hollywood, is supposedly unforgiving. The director of Guardians of the Galaxy got fired for a bad joke he made a long time ago, but Hollywood honors Kobe. I think that was a significant part of the issue being brought up here.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2019, 03:55 PM

hollywood has it's one set of moral rules, with double standards breaking records daily.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2019, 03:56 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! The new America man, where justice must be served. Permanently.

Hawkeye15
02-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Because today's culture, particularly in Hollywood, is supposedly unforgiving. The director of Guardians of the Galaxy got fired for a bad joke he made a long time ago, but Hollywood honors Kobe. I think that was a significant part of the issue being brought up here.

the souless judging the souless. Such a hilarious society

MRSpock
02-13-2019, 08:27 PM
It would be completely different. People would actually be educated on the case. Last time we had a discussion on this topic I quickly found that a huge portion of the forum were completley ignorant when it came to the facts of the case. They did nothing more than spout what Kobes legal team pushed in the media, and had very little knowledge to the facts.

Even if you go back to the Big Ben case which wasn't long ago, you'll get a bunch of ignorant people with 0 clue to anything that happened, having strong opinions about how the girls a whore and Ben is a victim. People are stupid when it comes to claims like this. They have their minds made up. The evidence is meaningless to them.

Giannis94
02-13-2019, 09:42 PM

It absolutely is. I am confused how kobe fans can turn a blind eye to what he did and I'm curious to if a player of his stature could wiggle out if the case was happening now.

crewfan13
02-14-2019, 01:09 PM
I think ultimately he'd be fine. He was too talented of player. And that's always been the equation. More talent gives you more leash.

While proceedings were happening, he would have been suspended in today's nba. He probably even serves something like a 20 game suspension. It probably costs him potentially a few all star appearances.

But once the suspension was served, the spin would be about redemption and 2nd chances and as long as he played well for a few years afterwards, he'd be mostly forgiven, at least locally. Some opposing fans bases, particularly the most anti-Lakers groups, would bring it up and be "disgusted" that he's still playing but the majority of that would be because he's on a rival team. If someone on their team did something similar, they likely forgive them.

I'm not saying it's right, but as long as you're helping your team win and don't have an obvious replacement, you'll get a 2nd chance and be beloved in your local market by most, even in today's world. It's the replaceable guys that are taking more of the brunt these days. The irreplaceable guys get a pretty major leash, especially if there's no video evidence of whatever your incident was.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-14-2019, 02:23 PM
Ask Cory Maggette. He's being accused of rape now.