PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NBA Draft

Tg11
02-06-2019, 04:21 PM
The only college stars who probably can be generational talents or who have potential to be generational provided they live up to the hype are Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Cam Reddish and probably Manute Bol's kid 2nd generation talent Bol Bol. Looking at the rest of the draft class it doesn't exactly scream future stars.

JAZZNC
02-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Is there ever a bunch of guys who can be generational talents? I mean the last time there were 2 guys super hyped they completely crapped their pants in the NBA and the 3rd pick became the FAR superior player. Ingram was supposed to he great...hes meh. Fultz and Lonzo were the 1st 2 picks haha. I mean is Zion the next LeBron or Rodney Rodgers? Who the hell knows.

Tg11
02-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Zion they actually compared him not just to Barkley but the other day that with him coming into college and potentially going out of college he reminds certain people of Charlotte/New York legend Larry Johnson when he was in college in terms of explosiveness

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-06-2019, 04:56 PM
I think Zion will be legit. Not MVP level, but all star level.

JAZZNC
02-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Of course, I've seen all the comparisons. Does he reach that potential though? Chances are he doesn't have a career near as good as Barkley. Just so few people end up being that good. He very well may but the odds say he isn't.

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-06-2019, 05:16 PM
I'm not saying he'll be as good as Barkley, but I do think he is worthy of being the #1 pick. I don't think this guy will be a bust. He will change a franchise.

Tg11
02-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Morant has been compared to Dame Lillard can you believe that

TheDish87
02-06-2019, 05:45 PM
The only college stars who probably can be generational talents or who have potential to be generational provided they live up to the hype are Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Cam Reddish and probably Manute Bol's kid 2nd generation talent Bol Bol. Looking at the rest of the draft class it doesn't exactly scream future stars.

Ummm RJ Barrett? that would make 4 guys and thats a lot for most drafts.

Tg11
02-06-2019, 05:51 PM
RJ Barrett has potential but let us hope he doesn't turn into Andrew Wiggins or Anthony Bennett because they are Canadian players who were supposed to be generational talents but turned out to be busts

JAZZNC
02-06-2019, 05:55 PM
RJ Barrett has potential but let us hope he doesn't turn into Andrew Wiggins or Anthony Bennett because they are Canadian players who were supposed to be generational talents but turned out to be busts

I don't think anyone thought Bennett was a generational talent. That draft was an abomination at the top but it did produce Giannis and Gobert later on.

Tg11
02-06-2019, 06:02 PM
I don't think anyone thought Bennett was a generational talent. That draft was an abomination at the top but it did produce Giannis and Gobert later on.

Yeah but at the same time Bennett and Wiggins were heavily hyped especially when they were coming out of the draft and Barrett is too

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Bennett had bust written all over him. Almost everyone agreed that was a reach even in a weak draft.

Wiggins has not lived up to the hype, but that doesn't mean Barrett won't. The last think a GM should do is buy into those stereotypes. The biggest reason why Luka Doncic fell a bit in the draft was because of the Euro stereotype. There were some Euro busts before him and people had questions about Doncic based on that. Same thing happens sometimes when it comes to schools. Kansas or Duke has produced some busts, so there might be some hesitation to draft a Kansas or Duke player. It's all nonsense. You should never pass on a kid based on these stereotypes. Instead you should look at the talent and be objective based on the individual.

The reality is, more players bust or end up falling short of expectations than you realize. So of course there are going to be some bad examples of prospects coming from Europe, Canada, or certain schools. If RJ Barrett ends up being a bust, it won't have anything to do with Bennett or Wiggins.

corky831
02-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Zion will be more Blake Griffin than LeBron. Morant looks good. Who knows though....Fultz and Ball were supposed to be superstars. Same with Oden, Noel, Jahlil, Wiggins, etc. the list goes on.

IndyRealist
02-06-2019, 08:11 PM
I'm old enough to have seen maybe 4 of "the next Magic", at least a dozen "the next Jordan", and a handful of "the next Kobe". Don't bite on hype. The most veteran scouts can't tell you with any certainty if someone is going to translate to the NBA let alone be a generational talent. ESPN talking heads and twitter aren't going to do better.

Tg11
02-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Cam Reddish is another player who has potential

Chronz
02-06-2019, 08:23 PM
I'm old enough to have seen maybe 4 of "the next Magic", at least a dozen "the next Jordan", and a handful of "the next Kobe". Don't bite on hype. The most veteran scouts can't tell you with any certainty if someone is going to translate to the NBA let alone be a generational talent. ESPN talking heads and twitter aren't going to do better.

True but it used to be fun to imagine or get hyped on prospects. I didn't buy the Darius Miles hype but I remember CJ Miles and Martell Webster were suppose to be the next Ray Allen (Webster had a beautiful stroke). Dorrel Wright had Pippen potential, I even remember talk of him being a future dpoy type around here. Gerald Green was the next Tmac/Kobe type, people made a big deal about kobe saying he saw alil of himself in young GG, a compliment bestowed on Wiggins his rookie year.

Chronz
02-06-2019, 08:28 PM
https://youtu.be/jXkUWLw97Uc

Webster torching CJ miles for 24 in a quarter in Brandon Roy's absence is reminiscent of ray Allen. What happened to that guy

More-Than-Most
02-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Is there ever a bunch of guys who can be generational talents? I mean the last time there were 2 guys super hyped they completely crapped their pants in the NBA and the 3rd pick became the FAR superior player. Ingram was supposed to he great...hes meh. Fultz and Lonzo were the 1st 2 picks haha. I mean is Zion the next LeBron or Rodney Rodgers? Who the hell knows.

every year the next years draft has super cant miss legendary talent and is deep as ****.

More-Than-Most
02-06-2019, 09:13 PM
fun note.. the 2020 draft is suppose to be one of the weakest drafts ever.... wait until after this draft. It would be said to have the next Lebron/kobe

IndyRealist
02-06-2019, 09:35 PM
2013 was supposed to be one of the weakest drafts ever.

Victor Oladipo
CJ McCollum
Steven Adams
GIANNIS
Rudy Gobert

Don't buy hype.

JAZZNC
02-07-2019, 12:18 AM
2013 was supposed to be one of the weakest drafts ever.

Victor Oladipo
CJ McCollum
Steven Adams
GIANNIS
Rudy Gobert

Don't buy hype.

Honestly it was though. The top of that draft was AWFUL.

Tg11
02-07-2019, 05:49 AM
2019 Draft is probably one of the most star studded if you think about it

IndyRealist
02-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Honestly it was though. The top of that draft was AWFUL.

There's 3 or 4 all-nba guys there and a potential MVP. Bennett was terrible.