PDA

View Full Version : John Wall ruptured his achilles

GiantsSwaGG
02-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Wizards star John Wall underwent surgery for a ruptured left Achilles tendon and will be out 12 months.

Damn

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-05-2019, 02:14 PM
what??? he was out with a heel injury

league's worst contract now looks to be even worse...no way he gets his explosiveness back

zn23
02-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Is this new?

Cause it was reported he was out like a month ago with a "heel injury". Was the heel injury the ruptured achilles or did he recently rupture it?

If it's recent, that's a very bad look and it looks even worse with the contract.

The Wizards gave Gilbert Arenas one of the worst contracts ever and now they gave one to John Wall. Also, Otto Porter is making 28M a year to avg. 12 ppg.

This is the worst run franchise in NBA history.

Edit: It turns out this is new!

"John Wall injured his Achilles after falling in his home, and will miss 12 (!!!) months. "

warfelg
02-05-2019, 02:28 PM
So he slipped in his home while walking around? Yeeeesh. This is like the Sammy Sosa throwing out his back sneezing.

THE MTL
02-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Wow this might become the worst NBA contract of all time

MygirlhatesCod
02-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Is this new?

Cause it was reported he was out like a month ago with a "heel injury". Was the heel injury the ruptured achilles or did he recently rupture it?

If it's recent, that's a very bad look and it looks even worse with the contract.

The Wizards gave Gilbert Arenas one of the worst contracts ever and now they gave one to John Wall. Also, Otto Porter is making 28M a year to avg. 12 ppg.

This is the worst run franchise in NBA history.

Edit: It turns out this is new!

"John Wall injured his Achilles after falling in his home, and will miss 12 (!!!) months. "

the Knicks, clippers, magic, Timberwolves, bobcats and pelicans take exception to this statement.

valade16
02-05-2019, 02:42 PM
What kind of a fall must it have been to rupture your achilles.

Tg11
02-05-2019, 02:43 PM
No way he's ever the same as he once was

lakerfan85
02-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Must have been one hell of a party!

MygirlhatesCod
02-05-2019, 03:00 PM
What kind of a fall must it have been to rupture your achilles.

the kind where you get drunk and start a fight in a chuckie cheese and get tackled in one of the booths.

Hawkeye15
02-05-2019, 03:01 PM
bummer. Wall is basically done as an elite, or even good, player when his speed is gone. Will this be the end?

dhopisthename
02-05-2019, 03:04 PM
what a brutal injury. I wonder if they reevaluate their thinking to not blow this roster up.

zn23
02-05-2019, 03:13 PM
what a brutal injury. I wonder if they reevaluate their thinking to not blow this roster up.

They really can't blow it up though.

Who's going to want to pick up Otto Porter's 28M/year contract which includes a 15% trade kicker?

Their only asset is Bradley Beal.

FlashBolt
02-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Wall got his money and would be 32 by the time his contract ends. He got his money just in time. This is why you don't extend players until you absolutely have to. They stop caring and that's what Wall did by partying and being out of shape.

Htownballa1622
02-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Hate to hear it. Hopefully he heals up and comes back as healthy as he can. He should fix his shot( i know he cant jump) but just his form at least.

Blowup in Washington? BEAL!? :drool:

dhopisthename
02-05-2019, 03:49 PM
They really can't blow it up though.

Who's going to want to pick up Otto Porter's 28M/year contract which includes a 15% trade kicker?

Their only asset is Bradley Beal.

The Jazz want Porter, but the wizards asking price was too high.

WaDe03
02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Send in your Beal offers.

IKnowHoops
02-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Wow this might become the worst NBA contract of all time

Allan Houston says hello

MRSpock
02-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Wall got his money and would be 32 by the time his contract ends. He got his money just in time. This is why you don't extend players until you absolutely have to. They stop caring and that's what Wall did by partying and being out of shape.

Wall has always partied. He did before he got the extension too.

I think you'd be surprised at how out of shape a professional athelete can get, and how quickly they can get back into shape. Especially when they're young. No one gives any **** to Tom Brady for sporting a dad bod, while he goes out to Costa Rica. Because he comes back and wins Super Bowls. Look at LT, look at MJ. There is a laundry list of players that party all the time and were some of the GOAT's in their sport.

The truth is, hindsight is 20/20. But if you're an organization that can't attract big time free agents, you extend your best players through their prime if the option is there...

And am I missing something here? I've read nothing that said he was partying while this injury happened. Are you honestly attributing a torn achilles to "partying and being out of shape"?

FlashBolt
02-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Wall has always partied. He did before he got the extension too.

I think you'd be surprised at how out of shape a professional athelete can get, and how quickly they can get back into shape. Especially when they're young. No one gives any **** to Tom Brady for sporting a dad bod, while he goes out to Costa Rica. Because he comes back and wins Super Bowls. Look at LT, look at MJ. There is a laundry list of players that party all the time and were some of the GOAT's in their sport.

The truth is, hindsight is 20/20. But if you're an organization that can't attract big time free agents, you extend your best players through their prime if the option is there...

And am I missing something here? I've read nothing that said he was partying while this injury happened. Are you honestly attributing a torn achilles to "partying and being out of shape"?

That's not the point. If you already give them the money, you're disincentivizing the need to improve as a player.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/7/26/17619178/john-wall-team-usa-camp-picture-wizards-tweet

This was just two months before the NBA season began. What was he doing the entire offseason? Shouldn't he have been improving his game or wanting to get better? Because his numbers across the board have declined. Even before his injury, they were saying it was a terrible contract because Wall was a locker room problem. Again, they are stuck with him. He's aged 28. He knows he's got a huge contract regardless of what he does. And trying to use Brady and MJ as examples is disingenuous. Those players were naturally gifted. Wall isn't. And take an example from LeBron - who is always working out in the summer despite playing deep into the playoffs despite knowing he could sit in his house, gain 40 lbs, and still get a max contract.

j-bay
02-05-2019, 06:50 PM
I hate to tell you but Ernie can't trade Beal. Its the only thing that is keeping his job. Also i want Ernie fired before trading anyone.

JAZZNC
02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Do the Wizards just eat that dumpster fire of a contract or try to trade firsts to rid themselves of it? How many first round picks does it take to even get rid of Wall?? Is there anybody that would take that contract under any circumstances?

TakeYourL
02-05-2019, 08:59 PM
This is why NBA needs to completely revamp the cap system, and give teams ways out of these contracts.

Wizards are going to be useless for the majority of this contract now.

NBA needs to stop this.

numba1CHANGsta
02-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Well at least thatís one less Wall for D.C. to worry about

More-Than-Most
02-05-2019, 09:29 PM
If I am the wizards id investigate and pray he did something stupid to void the contract

JAZZNC
02-05-2019, 10:50 PM
This is why NBA needs to completely revamp the cap system, and give teams ways out of these contracts.

NBA needs to stop this.

No, this is simply not the answer. And the players union will NEVER go for it.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-05-2019, 11:47 PM
I feel bad. Give them Zion.

Scoots
02-06-2019, 12:03 AM

NBA needs to stop this.

Nah. Teams need to stop making huge mistakes. If Wall retires the Wiz will get a break ... so he won't retire.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-06-2019, 12:32 AM
TakeYourL

zn23
02-06-2019, 12:40 AM
Do the Wizards just eat that dumpster fire of a contract or try to trade firsts to rid themselves of it? How many first round picks does it take to even get rid of Wall?? Is there anybody that would take that contract under any circumstances?

Wall does bring star power. It's like bringing Blake Griffin to Detroit. You know he's not going to make an impact, but his name alone and what he's done in the league will sell tickets.

Some lower market team desperate to sell tickets in the short term could be desperate enough to pick him up.

Cracka2HI!
02-06-2019, 02:03 AM
Allan Houston says hello

This might be a game changer like Houston's contract was. There could be a John Wall rule because of this.

kobe4thewinbang
02-06-2019, 02:38 AM
My coworker broke this story to me today. One, there are serious questions on how this injury happened.

I was telling my coworker that it may be time for owners to seek implementation of injury stipulations for contracts. Think about Joel Embiid's contract and injury/games-played stipulations that affect his pay. My coworker and I agree that this could get so ugly eventually that it causes another lockout between the owners and Players Union, but something has got to give. Wall is just now about to reap the rewards of his monstrous extension.

The argument on Wall's side is "teams shouldn't be stupid and give away that kind of money and financial investment" but injuries are happening all the time now (Cousins, Paul George, Hayward, Wall, Kobe, Porzingis, etc).

My take on it is "why should Wall be eligible to receive this insane amount of money when he won't even be able to play for likely the first year of his new contract monetary figure?" And like everybody else has said so far, who knows if he'll ever be a modicum of his former self, which was even starting to dim in people's eyes and around the league after a relatively disappointing career so far.

What do you guys think is the solution here? I mean, it must be hella nice to be receiving damn near forty million dollars for doing next to nothing while he rehabs his injury. He was already planning on laughing to the bank with his ambiguous heel injury, then this achilles thing transpires. I know we have the Chris Bosh situation where Miami was given some forgiveness, and we also have that disabled player exception or hardship exception, but this begs more changes.

These people are just showered with money. Wall won't even be able to do anything other than have a commercial here or there, maybe do some media stuff, all while not actually playing or being held to any high expectations...as he collects that forty million dollars. And then he'll "try to get back to where he was" as he keeps making forty million three more times since he also has a player option. I mean, holy crap!

That's not even counting endorsement deals. This dude is robbing the Wizards and they gave him the keys! It's going to be another Derrick "Fallen from Grace" Rose issue and by the time the Wizards recover, the league will have passed them by. The albatross extension was already enough for other teams of interest to run away from potential trade ideas, but now with this achilles injury, the Wizards are really, really screwed. Team is all but condemned by this.

rasajr23
02-06-2019, 02:53 AM
How you blow out your Achilles on yo day off? (In my Smokey from Friday voice)

Scoots
02-06-2019, 11:12 AM
My coworker broke this story to me today. One, there are serious questions on how this injury happened.

I was telling my coworker that it may be time for owners to seek implementation of injury stipulations for contracts. Think about Joel Embiid's contract and injury/games-played stipulations that affect his pay. My coworker and I agree that this could get so ugly eventually that it causes another lockout between the owners and Players Union, but something has got to give. Wall is just now about to reap the rewards of his monstrous extension.

The argument on Wall's side is "teams shouldn't be stupid and give away that kind of money and financial investment" but injuries are happening all the time now (Cousins, Paul George, Hayward, Wall, Kobe, Porzingis, etc).

My take on it is "why should Wall be eligible to receive this insane amount of money when he won't even be able to play for likely the first year of his new contract monetary figure?" And like everybody else has said so far, who knows if he'll ever be a modicum of his former self, which was even starting to dim in people's eyes and around the league after a relatively disappointing career so far.

What do you guys think is the solution here? I mean, it must be hella nice to be receiving damn near forty million dollars for doing next to nothing while he rehabs his injury. He was already planning on laughing to the bank with his ambiguous heel injury, then this achilles thing transpires. I know we have the Chris Bosh situation where Miami was given some forgiveness, and we also have that disabled player exception or hardship exception, but this begs more changes.

These people are just showered with money. Wall won't even be able to do anything other than have a commercial here or there, maybe do some media stuff, all while not actually playing or being held to any high expectations...as he collects that forty million dollars. And then he'll "try to get back to where he was" as he keeps making forty million three more times since he also has a player option. I mean, holy crap!

That's not even counting endorsement deals. This dude is robbing the Wizards and they gave him the keys! It's going to be another Derrick "Fallen from Grace" Rose issue and by the time the Wizards recover, the league will have passed them by. The albatross extension was already enough for other teams of interest to run away from potential trade ideas, but now with this achilles injury, the Wizards are really, really screwed. Team is all but condemned by this.

Guaranteed contracts were negotiated a long time ago. There is no way the players union will give them up. And the teams will never let teams get out of contracts they sign counting on the cap as a regular rule. If Wall can be proven to have been acting irresponsibly they can go after the money but if they do they will likely never sign a major free agent as long as the ownership is the same. Players and agents talk and they know who to avoid.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 12:10 PM

NBA needs to stop this.

players union would be on strike for years before they agree to non-guaranteed contracts. Now, who pays for a contract at a certain point, insurance, etc, maybe there is a discussion. However, teams need to stop giving huge deals away like candy. No sympathy for the Wiz here.

tredigs
02-06-2019, 03:47 PM
If I am the wizards id investigate and pray he did something stupid to void the contract

I agree and bet they have a million dollar squad on the case as we speak.

That said, I think this just might prove to be the straw that breaks the NBAPA camel's back when it comes to long term guaranteed contracts. It's not fair to the owners, the GM's, and more importantly the fans that one player can effectively ruin the next half decade of your franchise simply due to injury. I get that the teams are exercising an inherent risk by paying that money, but in the case of a guy like Wall, he was simply going to get the max, and if they wanted to keep their franchise star that was their only option (how could they predict these injuries? What if he injures himself again in rehab and is out 2+ years?) More effective provisions HAVE to be put in place other than simply tanking.

My proposition would be something along the lines of a player receiving 80% of his pay from the team during any game he is deemed medically ineligible to play (a simple medical arbitration could be set up if team doctors said he's not ready but his personal doctors disagree), and that if a player will be deemed medically ineligible for an entire season (before that season), then only 50% of his salary would count against their cap space.

Details would have to be ironed out obviously, but I'm sick of seeing injured players completely handicap a franchise.

tredigs
02-06-2019, 04:08 PM
players union would be on strike for years before they agree to non-guaranteed contracts. Now, who pays for a contract at a certain point, insurance, etc, maybe there is a discussion. However, teams need to stop giving huge deals away like candy. No sympathy for the Wiz here.

But then you're just letting your golden boy #1 pick walk out on the team in his prime, and you know the only real chance to get a player of his caliber again is to tank and pray. John Wall got the deal that the market dictated, which was the max. Much easier said than done to just let your main draw and 20/4/10 PG walk. It's a situation all teams face. And if he sucks? Well then that's your bad. But if a guy is injured, the teams/fans deserve some means of aid, and the player should not receive ALL of his money. You can't work? That ****ing sucks man, welcome to life, where you don't get paid all your money if you can't work. Most people get nothing. This WILL change if fans demand it. Nothing the players will be able to due if all public sentiment is against them and it's a fair proposal like the one I laid out.

tredigs
02-06-2019, 04:24 PM
I should add, ABSOLUTELY if the injury occurs off the court, regardless if he's rehabbing from something else or not.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 04:28 PM
But then you're just letting your golden boy #1 pick walk out on the team in his prime, and you know the only real chance to get a player of his caliber again is to tank and pray. John Wall got the deal that the market dictated, which was the max. Much easier said than done to just let your main draw and 20/4/10 PG walk. It's a situation all teams face. And if he sucks? Well then that's your bad. But if a guy is injured, the teams/fans deserve some means of aid, and the player should not receive ALL of his money. You can't work? That ****ing sucks man, welcome to life, where you don't get paid all your money if you can't work. Most people get nothing. This WILL change if fans demand it. Nothing the players will be able to due if all public sentiment is against them and it's a fair proposal like the one I laid out.

The only way fans influence the game is through financial contributions. We can ***** until the sun sets, but if the NBA keeps making more money, they won't care what we think.

I get it's risky (signing anyone to a deal like Walls). But it's a choice. Small markets have a disadvantage, but that means they need to be run better. Oh well.

Yes, if an injury is done off the court in a manner viewed as risky, the contract should have some sort of void ability (Monta Ellis comes to mind). But walking in your house and falling? Meh, contract should be honored.

Heediot
02-06-2019, 04:30 PM

the problem is there is a salary floor and there aren't enough guys in the nba deserving max contracts.

2nd players are strong arming teams in order to spend to keep their loyalty.

I agree that non-guarantee contracts won't change.

valade16
02-06-2019, 04:30 PM
I agree and bet they have a million dollar squad on the case as we speak.

That said, I think this just might prove to be the straw that breaks the NBAPA camel's back when it comes to long term guaranteed contracts. It's not fair to the owners, the GM's, and more importantly the fans that one player can effectively ruin the next half decade of your franchise simply due to injury. I get that the teams are exercising an inherent risk by paying that money, but in the case of a guy like Wall, he was simply going to get the max, and if they wanted to keep their franchise star that was their only option (how could they predict these injuries? What if he injures himself again in rehab and is out 2+ years?) More effective provisions HAVE to be put in place other than simply tanking.

My proposition would be something along the lines of a player receiving 80% of his pay from the team during any game he is deemed medically ineligible to play (a simple medical arbitration could be set up if team doctors said he's not ready but his personal doctors disagree), and that if a player will be deemed medically ineligible for an entire season (before that season), then only 50% of his salary would count against their cap space.

Details would have to be ironed out obviously, but I'm sick of seeing injured players completely handicap a franchise.

Yeah there has to be a compromise somewhere where the player gets their money and the franchise isn't crippled.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 04:37 PM
the problem is there is a salary floor and there aren't enough guys in the nba deserving max contracts.

2nd players are strong arming teams in order to spend to keep their loyalty.

I agree that non-guarantee contracts won't change.

no doubt man, but a counter to that would be GM's not giving more than 1-2 year deals to non max guys.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Yeah there has to be a compromise somewhere where the player gets their money and the franchise isn't crippled.

I agree with both of you on that. It would take an agreement from both owners and players to set aside a percentage of each contract (paid for on both ends) for "insurance" payments that pay the contract if a player is hurt, but doesn't go against the cap. Easier said than done, but why not just treat it like a term life insurance policy, where if the player stays healthy, both sides get that money back at the end of the contract.

TakeYourL
02-06-2019, 04:43 PM
No, this is simply not the answer. And the players union will NEVER go for it.

That's why you negotiate with them.

Nah. Teams need to stop making huge mistakes. If Wall retires the Wiz will get a break ... so he won't retire.

What mistake did they make? They were contenders at that time, and he is their best player, and was still young enough.

Any team would of done the same thing.

What are they supposed to look in their magic 8 ball and see the future that he would get an injury like this?

Lmao at the idea of punishing an entire franchise for spending $ to win, while you root for teams to tank.

This league is a clown show.

TakeYourL
02-06-2019, 04:47 PM

I didn't say he doesn't get paid, but something has to change here. This is way too destructive to a franchise.

Cap relief, some type of insurance as you said, something.

This can happen to any team and any player so let's not try to just blame WSH for this.

Do we really want a league where no one wants to spend $ to win and the majority of the nba is in tank mode?

That's exactly where we are headed.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 04:58 PM
I didn't say he doesn't get paid, but something has to change here. This is way too destructive to a franchise.

Cap relief, some type of insurance as you said, something.

This can happen to any team and any player so let's not try to just blame WSH for this.

Do we really want a league where no one wants to spend $ to win and the majority of the nba is in tank mode?

That's exactly where we are headed.

hope so dude. Every fan can name at least a player who killed their team due to injuries..

valade16
02-06-2019, 05:12 PM
hope so dude. Every fan can name at least a player who killed their team due to injuries..

I remember when Portland used some career ending injury player exception on Brandon Roy and all his money came off our books provided he didn't return to basketball for like the next 3 years or whatever and in the last year of the provision he played like 5 games with the Timberwolves and his giant contract came back onto our cap lol

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 05:18 PM
I remember when Portland used some career ending injury player exception on Brandon Roy and all his money came off our books provided he didn't return to basketball for like the next 3 years or whatever and in the last year of the provision he played like 5 games with the Timberwolves and his giant contract came back onto our cap lol

there is an exception, but you have to miss an unreal amount of games, and have doctor diagnosis that looks very bleak. Career ending I believe it has to be.

I remember that dude, and I can't remember why, but I was happy we screwed you guys, as payback for something or other..

TakeYourL
02-06-2019, 05:32 PM
That doesn't make it a good thing or something that the nba should continue to let destroy NBA franchises.

Washington is an irrelevant team now and for the near future. No one will pay attention to then or want to watch them.

It doesn't benefit anyone to continue to allow this nonsense.

TakeYourL
02-06-2019, 05:36 PM
there is an exception, but you have to miss an unreal amount of games, and have doctor diagnosis that looks very bleak. Career ending I believe it has to be.

I remember that dude, and I can't remember why, but I was happy we screwed you guys, as payback for something or other..

Wasn't it because they wanted Batum?

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Wasn't it because they wanted Batum?

maybe? Honestly I can't remember.

valade16
02-06-2019, 05:47 PM
maybe? Honestly I can't remember.

Yeah I can't remember why but I know that the organizations were beefing over something.

Hawkeye15
02-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Yeah I can't remember why but I know that the organizations were beefing over something.

I kind of forced myself to black out over the Kahn era, so whatever