PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gobert vs Draymond Green

Redrum187
02-04-2019, 12:18 AM
I was reading on how Draymond was trolling Gobert about crying and started thinking.... at their peak thus far, who is the superior player? How far apart are they?

Vee-Rex
02-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Well it's not surprising that he and Iggy were mocking Gobert.

Curry has class. Klay has class. But Dray and Iggy are classless.

Scoots
02-04-2019, 12:58 AM
It seems classless, I do wonder if they are friends with Rudy, but I have no idea.

I'd say right now Dray is ahead of Rudy for his career, but chances are Dray's falls off faster than than Rudy's does so by the end Rudy may pass him.

FlashBolt
02-04-2019, 02:17 AM
Going with Draymond here because of his passing and thought not an elite rim protector, he was a better perimeter defender than Rudy so it's a toss-up on what your team needs defensively. I thought Green's ability to set picks for his team was always second to none (got away with a lot of stuff but whatever). But his body is deteriorating. If I am the Warriors, do I even want to resign Draymond for what he thinks he can get?

COOLbeans
02-04-2019, 03:14 AM
They should give Draymond the same money heís making now. And thatís a lot

R. Johnson#3
02-04-2019, 07:18 AM
Rudy is the best shot blocking big whoís excellent at finishing in the paint on the other end. Draymond is an excellent defender who can switch off on just about anyone. On offence he can basically do everything aside from carry the ball up the floor and shoot the 3. The ball doesnít stick to him yet he usually touches the ball on most possessions.

Rudy is the superior big but Draymondís versatility puts him ahead in my books. Draymond can do much more than Rudy.

tp13baby
02-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Iggy is mocking another player for crying. That dude is the biggest ***** in the game. Crying about a game plan Karl comes out with about playing physical with Curry. He has zero room to talk. He is the biggest snake in the league and as far as I am concerned the biggest ***** to ever walk out of Denver. Gobert and Green are both studs but no reason to mock.

IT mocked Gobert and he can **** right off too. Dude *****es about teams not caring about him. Will IT ***** when he is sitting on the bench in Denver?

Gobert is elite and it is what it is, the voting is a joke, but the guys that called him out as I mentioned are some of the biggest *****ers in the league?

R. Johnson#3
02-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Wait a minute, people are actually upset that Draymond and Iggy started chirping Gobert for crying about being snubbed? Are they supposed to console him?

JAZZNC
02-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Draymond Green is a good player but his impact offensively is vastly overrated playing for an All-Star team. I'd love to see Rudy's #s setting screens for Curry/Klay/Durant. Barring injury Rudy is going to be by far the better player for their career.

Iggy....I don't even wanna get into that underbite having, black Sling Blade looking MF.

I did like Rudy's response about Green's tweet that as long as Green isn't on Snapchat hes good with it haha!

tp13baby
02-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Wait a minute, people are actually upset that Draymond and Iggy started chirping Gobert for crying about being snubbed? Are they supposed to console him?

Nope. But Iggy calling anyone out for crying is hilarious. Already explained why he is a *****. Dray is dray.

Anyone who knows the story of Iggy in Denver would understand the viewpoint he should just shut his mouth. Hypocritical *****.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 11:19 AM
imagine them swapping teams. Who is better?

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Draymond Green is a good player but his impact offensively is vastly overrated playing for an All-Star team. I'd love to see Rudy's #s setting screens for Curry/Klay/Durant. Barring injury Rudy is going to be by far the better player for their career.

Iggy....I don't even wanna get into that underbite having, black Sling Blade looking MF.

I did like Rudy's response about Green's tweet that as long as Green isn't on Snapchat hes good with it haha!

bingo. Rudy makes any team hie is on an elite defense. Dray is this generations Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman, a guy who fits with a stacked team but isn't going to elevate **** if not given all that protection.

WaDe03
02-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Rudy talks a ton of **** so of course guys are going to go at him for being soft.

JAZZNC
02-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Rudy talks a ton of **** so of course guys are going to go at him for being soft.

Why does this make him "soft"? People have this dumbass notion that emotion makes you soft. Cause you gotta be a man...whatever that means. I've seen GSP get emotional and he has stomped a mud hole in a bunch of tatted up "tough" guys.

MygirlhatesCod
02-04-2019, 01:17 PM
bingo. Rudy makes any team hie is on an elite defense. Dray is this generations Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman, a guy who fits with a stacked team but isn't going to elevate **** if not given all that protection.

I like the comparison to proven winners.

Allphakenny1
02-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Iggy is mocking another player for crying. That dude is the biggest ***** in the game. Crying about a game plan Karl comes out with about playing physical with Curry. He has zero room to talk. He is the biggest snake in the league and as far as I am concerned the biggest ***** to ever walk out of Denver. Gobert and Green are both studs but no reason to mock.

IT mocked Gobert and he can **** right off too. Dude *****es about teams not caring about him. Will IT ***** when he is sitting on the bench in Denver?

Gobert is elite and it is what it is, the voting is a joke, but the guys that called him out as I mentioned are some of the biggest *****ers in the league?

This was not what Marc Jackson claimed was reported to him. It was not to play physical with Curry, but to take cheap shots at his ankle. Obviously, we do not know what really happened, but if that was the case then I give Iggy props for what he did.

valade16
02-04-2019, 03:45 PM
What's crazy is since Dray's breakout season in 2016 he has shot just 29% from 3. If he's not able to stretch the defense and hit 3's, he's not nearly as valuable on offense as he could be. I'd probably take 2016 by a hair over Rudy but the Dray we've seen the last 3 seasons? Give me Rudy.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
I like the comparison to proven winners.

Draymond is a complimentary piece, a jigsaw puzzle. He fits with any team, but his value is highest on a team that doesn't need him offensively at all (scoring wise). His defense is good, but not on Gobert's level. I just think it's way easier to build around/with a Gobert than it is Green.

Chronz
02-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Peak Green could play center and clamp down. Gobert could never play the 4. Gobert might have the longevity debate and perhaps the highest peak when it's all said and done but today, gimme the guy gms have been looking for as a primary complimentary piece since Rasheed

Chronz
02-04-2019, 03:57 PM
What's crazy is since Dray's breakout season in 2016 he has shot just 29% from 3. If he's not able to stretch the defense and hit 3's, he's not nearly as valuable on offense as he could be. I'd probably take 2016 by a hair over Rudy but the Dray we've seen the last 3 seasons? Give me Rudy.

I wonder how much a lessened load has affected him. You should be more efficient with less touches and easier looks but I think there's a certain threshold where just being so less involved can hurt your consistency. Maybe not tho, smart teams really disrespect him now. I can't wait to see this team without the snake.

I do think his decline defensively is more evident but I'll give him these playoffs to prove it either way.

Chronz
02-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Draymond is a complimentary piece, a jigsaw puzzle. He fits with any team, but his value is highest on a team that doesn't need him offensively at all (scoring wise). His defense is good, but not on Gobert's level. I just think it's way easier to build around/with a Gobert than it is Green.
There's an argument to be made, that elite complimentary pieces are more valuable than flawed stars or guys higher up on the offensive totem pole. I think looking at teams with and without Rodman is quite telling, also his before and after effect. There's this guy who runs the biggest pro Rodman site ive ever seen, I guess he writes for 538 now. https://skepticalsports.com/the-case-for-dennis-rodman-guide/

valade16
02-04-2019, 04:24 PM
I wonder how much a lessened load has affected him. You should be more efficient with less touches and easier looks but I think there's a certain threshold where just being so less involved can hurt your consistency. Maybe not tho, smart teams really disrespect him now. I can't wait to see this team without the snake.

I do think his decline defensively is more evident but I'll give him these playoffs to prove it either way.

That's a good point. It's probably also psychological, not getting to shoot or have the ball on offense as much, coupled with other teams not even bothering to guard you. I've seen it happen, if you're a decent but not good shooter your psychology is often what determines how well you shoot.

FlashBolt
02-04-2019, 04:35 PM

His body has been put through a lot constantly guarding bigger players and then defending perimeter players. Before KD joined, the man was switching from guys like AD and then the next day, guarding elite perimeter players. Body just isn't holding up right now and I think that's a bigger reason for his decline. He's very fortunate to be on the Warriors, though. I have my doubts about the guy being able to manifest into who he is without them. Could you imagine a Draymond Green existing if the guy was stuck on the Kings or Suns?

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 04:38 PM
There's an argument to be made, that elite complimentary pieces are more valuable than flawed stars or guys higher up on the offensive totem pole. I think looking at teams with and without Rodman is quite telling, also his before and after effect. There's this guy who runs the biggest pro Rodman site ive ever seen, I guess he writes for 538 now. https://skepticalsports.com/the-case-for-dennis-rodman-guide/

there is a great argument to be made for such. But Gobert is a rim protecting machine in an era where that isn't even supposed to be as valuable.

I will say it again-Green, Wallace, or Rodman, all all finishing pieces. By themselves, they mean little to nothing. But add them to a team that needs a defensive chameleon, and boom-dynasty.

Also, this debate is flawed in itself. When Green was in his peak, Gobert was super young. At this point, this isn't even a question. Gobert all day.

Replace Green with Gobert from the last few years on any of those GS teams, do they really fall off? Nah. Maybe in some portions, but they get better defending the rim, something that was kind of an achilles heal with those pre-KD teams.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Imagine Rubio on a team that allowed him to not even have look at the rim. Same kind of effect could be had I think.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 04:40 PM
His body has been put through a lot constantly guarding bigger players and then defending perimeter players. Before KD joined, the man was switching from guys like AD and then the next day, guarding elite perimeter players. Body just isn't holding up right now and I think that's a bigger reason for his decline. He's very fortunate to be on the Warriors, though. I have my doubts about the guy being able to manifest into who he is without them. Could you imagine a Draymond Green existing if the guy was stuck on the Kings or Suns?

Bingo.

Chronz
02-04-2019, 04:57 PM

True on the body bit, I still remember the worries about how his defense would hold up as he aged when he first became this unique bird.

At his best I could see him on today's kings and suns yes. Dude would help alleviate the suns lack of playmaking that's forcing Booker to play too much on the ball. He would instantly compliment the defensively unproven ayton. Kings are an even better team. Its not that hard to find basic playmakers imo, its alot harder to find a Draymond as a complimentary piece. I remember when I would've traded blake for him on the clippers if I could've, prolly not now on the pistons tho

Wrigheyes4MVP
02-04-2019, 05:04 PM
I'd rather have Gobert on my team.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 05:19 PM
True on the body bit, I still remember the worries about how his defense would hold up as he aged when he first became this unique bird.

At his best I could see him on today's kings and suns yes. Dude would help alleviate the suns lack of playmaking that's forcing Booker to play too much on the ball. He would instantly compliment the defensively unproven ayton. Kings are an even better team. Its not that hard to find basic playmakers imo, its alot harder to find a Draymond as a complimentary piece. I remember when I would've traded blake for him on the clippers if I could've, prolly not now on the pistons tho

sure but Draymond in a lead role? Better have efficient scoring abound...cause he aint giving it to you. Plus, his body under even more stress? No thx

FlashBolt
02-04-2019, 05:27 PM

i could see that benefiting the clippers because they had enough scoring outside of Blake but again, that Clippers team wasn't exactly filled with bums. They were a very good team with two top 20 players in Blake+DJ. DJ was also an elite defensive player so of course that would have been a great move for the Clippers. Suns/Kings, though? I don't see it.

valade16
02-04-2019, 05:36 PM
sure but Draymond in a lead role? Better have efficient scoring abound...cause he aint giving it to you. Plus, his body under even more stress? No thx

We should then extend the same courtesy to Rudy. Gobert would fail just as hard as Draymond in a lead role on offense. Both are complimentary offensive pieces.

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 05:48 PM
We should then extend the same courtesy to Rudy. Gobert would fail just as hard as Draymond in a lead role on offense. Both are complimentary offensive pieces.

But that isn't Gobert's game. At all. It IS Green's. And dominant rim protectors make more of a difference to me. It relieves so much pressure on your defense.

valade16
02-04-2019, 05:52 PM
But that isn't Gobert's game. At all. It IS Green's. And dominant rim protectors make more of a difference to me. It relieves so much pressure on your defense.

Green's game is most certainly not to be a lead option on offense. He is a complementary piece on offense. I agree a dominant rim protector is a massive benefit. But so was peak Green who could switch on any player and who could also shoot 3's and pass. I agree a rim protector relieves so much pressure on a defense, but peak Green put so much pressure on opposing teams both offensively and defensively.

Unfortunately it's looking more and more like Green's dynamite 3-point shooting year in 2016 was the exception and not the norm. Now his impact is far beneath Gobert's.

Chronz
02-04-2019, 05:56 PM
You guys do remember Draymond bodying up Gasol and clamping down, right? He could handle the job in the loffs

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Green's game is most certainly not to be a lead option on offense. He is a complementary piece on offense. I agree a dominant rim protector is a massive benefit. But so was peak Green who could switch on any player and who could also shoot 3's and pass. I agree a rim protector relieves so much pressure on a defense, but peak Green put so much pressure on opposing teams both offensively and defensively.

Unfortunately it's looking more and more like Green's dynamite 3-point shooting year in 2016 was the exception and not the norm. Now his impact is far beneath Gobert's.

The only reason I don't consider this a slam dunk answer is we haven't seen Gobert on a deep playoff run. Playoffs can turn anyone into meh.

I just think Green is the ultimate glue guy, but Gobert could be as well, while helping with a single weakness GS had-no bigs to protect the paint. And while I appreciate the flash in the pan 3 point shooting year Green had, couldn't an argument be made that the best lob catching dunk machine would have helped those teams more than just another guy who can hit a wide open 3?

Hawkeye15
02-04-2019, 06:16 PM
You guys do remember Draymond bodying up Gasol and clamping down, right? He could handle the job in the loffs

perhaps if the thread said 14-15' Green versus 18-19' Gobert. But I read it as right now, this isn't even a question.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-04-2019, 06:52 PM
So far, pretty hard for me to go against Draymond. I wouldn't complain if someone said Gobert though.

valade16
02-04-2019, 06:53 PM
The only reason I don't consider this a slam dunk answer is we haven't seen Gobert on a deep playoff run. Playoffs can turn anyone into meh.

I just think Green is the ultimate glue guy, but Gobert could be as well, while helping with a single weakness GS had-no bigs to protect the paint. And while I appreciate the flash in the pan 3 point shooting year Green had, couldn't an argument be made that the best lob catching dunk machine would have helped those teams more than just another guy who can hit a wide open 3?

Well GS' defense was predicated on the ability to switch everyone due to Green's versatility, though I agree if they had swapped Green for Gobert their D would simply have been different and no worse, likely better. Of course, Gobert may have been a bigger help on offense being able to catch lobs than Green's 3-point shooting, but I don't think Gobert is as skilled a passer or fast break player as Green and the Warrior's offense would have taken a hit had they swapped, or at least it would have had to change somewhat in how they do things.

aman_13
02-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Depends on my team but i am probably taking Gobert.

TrueFan420
02-04-2019, 08:55 PM
perhaps if the thread said 14-15' Green versus 18-19' Gobert. But I read it as right now, this isn't even a question.
Itís actually says at their peak thus far. Weíve seen Greens peak. The question is if weíve seen Goberts.

If itís right now agreed Gobert is better. If itís peak, from what weíve seen, itís Green. When itís all said an done, could go either way but as far as complimentary pieces go because they both are... Iíd take Green. Gobert would be easier to build into a side but Green if used correctly can do more for your side.