PDA

View Full Version : The NBA is more about story lines then content

ewing
02-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Do you agree or disagree with the above statement? Seem to me like the league is more and more about the soap opera that surrounds players movement and perception then a good competitive on floor product.

warfelg
02-02-2019, 10:33 AM
I thought this was well spread knowledge. The soap opera of the NBA is greater than the game of basketball itself.

IndyRealist
02-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Do you agree or disagree with the above statement? Seem to me like the league is more and more about the soap opera that surrounds players movement and perception then a good competitive on floor product.

Until the Superbowl is over, the NBA regular season is just something you have to get through. Then all of the sudden you have the trade deadline, All-Star game, and then the race for playoff seeding. There's just too many NBA games in a season to care about every single one.

ewing
02-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Until the Superbowl is over, the NBA regular season is just something you have to get through. Then all of the sudden you have the trade deadline, All-Star game, and then the race for playoff seeding. There's just too many NBA games in a season to care about every single one.

Half the games are unwatchable

Scoots
02-02-2019, 10:57 AM

I think that's the natural progression of lots of 24 hour coverage. The same thing has happened in politics.

Vee-Rex
02-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Article clicks and so forth are up, but tv ratings are down. Kinda reinforces the fact that people seem to care more about drama than what happens on the court. I mean, reality tv should have died 10+ years ago but it's still going strong.

Couple that with the fact we have an Olympic team and everyone knows the outcome (the novelty of watching the most talented team in NBA history is probably wearing down even on a lot of casuals), and LeBron's move to LA created more competition for prime-time late-night spots (casuals probably just don't care as much about Toronto and Milwaukee and Indiana in the East) and the league is ripe for a ratings decrease.

A lot of the issues that front offices are facing, from the extreme tanking to the reckless spending and trades are a result of knowing that it's all or nothing because of the presence of an Olympic team. I truly believe the Warriors are hurting the NBA - the results were never gonna be immediate. But if Durant stays and Klay stay (and they trade Draymond or something) then it's only gonna get worse.

Chronz
02-02-2019, 01:24 PM
The nba will return once that snake leaves gs and tries to prove hes a champion

TakeYourL
02-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Been saying this for awhile, nba needs major shakeup.

It's a aweful product right now.

Teams/players don't start to care until all star break lol.

And for the most part we know exactly who will be in the playoffs already.

WaDe03
02-02-2019, 01:59 PM
The nba will return once that snake leaves gs and tries to prove hes a champion

This. Next year the league will be balanced and all will be well again. Many teams will have a chance.

ewing
02-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Been saying this for awhile, nba needs major shakeup.

It's a aweful product right now.

Teams/players don't start to care until all star break lol.

And for the most part we know exactly who will be in the playoffs already.

Itís terrible. Most games guys flat donít care, there are no rivals, guys just stop showing whenever they feel like it, itís all rings or nothing, teams actively look to lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warfelg
02-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Itís terrible. Most games guys flat donít care, there are no rivals, guys just stop showing whenever they feel like it, itís all rings or nothing, teams actively look to lose

I put some of that blame on media/fans creating the ďchampionships or elseĒ culture. Do you think any lesser of Karl Malone, John Stockton, or Charles Barkley because of this?

ewing
02-02-2019, 02:39 PM
I put some of that blame on media/fans creating the ďchampionships or elseĒ culture. Do you think any lesser of Karl Malone, John Stockton, or Charles Barkley because of this?

Idk but Itís garbage. I lived the game for about 15 years. A lot of my most vivid memories of playing arenít from the best teams. Yeah you play to win thatís whatís it all about but what makes it great is the competition. I hate the way guys deserve a championship and how people think you might as well not show up if you arenít winning one

Scoots
02-02-2019, 07:26 PM
I think it has nothing to do with the NBA's management at all. It's social media and sports coverage having no time for depth anymore which means the players/teams have to be super polished and boring. Also the players making crazy big money has them far more interested in their image and marketing than the game itself and has lead to the players wanting to play softer to protect themselves.

D-Leethal
02-02-2019, 09:40 PM
I'm definitely tuning out the actual basketball. There are really no National TV matchups that interest me enough to watch anymore. Playoffs are still a great product though.

It does seem to be more about who's gonna join each other and not about who's gonna beat each other.

D-Leethal
02-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Hard to deny that the trade deadline and free agency bring way more buzz than the actual games including the Finals.

Thinking about it though the NBA might actual enjoy this, as the world goes away from cable and traditional sources of viewing/media, NBA is seriously owning the clickbait/internet/drama facets over the other major sports. Definitely losing the excitement of the traditional viewing model though, in my eyes at least.

aman_13
02-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Article clicks and so forth are up, but tv ratings are down. Kinda reinforces the fact that people seem to care more about drama than what happens on the court. I mean, reality tv should have died 10+ years ago but it's still going strong.

Couple that with the fact we have an Olympic team and everyone knows the outcome (the novelty of watching the most talented team in NBA history is probably wearing down even on a lot of casuals), and LeBron's move to LA created more competition for prime-time late-night spots (casuals probably just don't care as much about Toronto and Milwaukee and Indiana in the East) and the league is ripe for a ratings decrease.

A lot of the issues that front offices are facing, from the extreme tanking to the reckless spending and trades are a result of knowing that it's all or nothing because of the presence of an Olympic team. I truly believe the Warriors are hurting the NBA - the results were never gonna be immediate. But if Durant stays and Klay stay (and they trade Draymond or something) then it's only gonna get worse.

Are the ratings actually down? I thought they were going up.

Nevermind, found this:

Compared to this point last year, the NBA ratings have seen a decline. Andrew Marchand reported yesterday TNT is seeing a daunting 22 percent declined and ESPN is down at five percent.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/01/18/nba-ratings-decline-nfl/

Vee-Rex
02-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Are the ratings actually down? I thought they were going up.

Nevermind, found this:

https://thebiglead.com/2019/01/18/nba-ratings-decline-nfl/

Wow, never saw that article. It pretty much mirrors my words.

Scoots
02-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Wow, never saw that article. It pretty much mirrors my words.

Kinda funny, the NBA is left leaning and gets favorable coverage, the NFL is right leaning and gets negative coverage.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Well blame twitter. Other wise turn back the clock and wait to read the ESPN bottom line or buy a news paper daily to see if any trades happen. I prefer twitter now. You know the trade in full detail the second it happens. Heck we know the draft minutes before it happens.

IndyRealist
02-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Kinda funny, the NBA is left leaning and gets favorable coverage, the NFL is right leaning and gets negative coverage.

They are covered differently because the NFL has drama the media can point to, the NBA does not. So that's how the media covered it, because "NFL losing viewers over taking a knee" is far more interesting of a headline "NBA losing market share due to paradigm shift in telecomm market". Correlation does not equal causation.

Everybody is losing viewers because less people are watching TV. I haven't even turned on my TV since I had relatives over for Christmas.

ewing
02-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Well blame twitter. Other wise turn back the clock and wait to read the ESPN bottom line or buy a news paper daily to see if any trades happen. I prefer twitter now. You know the trade in full detail the second it happens. Heck we know the draft minutes before it happens.

I do and LeBron

Vee-Rex
02-03-2019, 03:40 PM
I haven't even turned on my TV since I had relatives over for Christmas.

What sort of monster are you?

Please tell me you stream or play PC games or something. Don't tell me that you only read newspapers/books as a hobby (not that reading is bad, but as the ONLY hobby... it's bad).