PDA

View Full Version : Did Ainge hurt the celtics championship chances?

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 09:26 PM
I got destroyed when I stated that ainge and his inability to make a trade and how he overvalues all of his assets... He does not like making a trade unless right off the back its a clear cut win by quite a bit or a no lose situation really... He never takes risks... I never considered him a good GM and stated he just took advantage of a really terrible GM that helped this situation.... Now the celtics no longer look as comfortable as they once were... Their 4 first rounders have all fallen and will likely be out of the lottery or on the cusp of the lottery... Their players like Rozier that could have gotten them something look washed and tatum hasn't taken the next step like everyone thought he would.... On top of that the father of AD just came out and destroyed them for the Thomas situation and kyrie is starting his crap with his comment today.... This is turning really really ugly for a team that was suppose to be the 1 seed and a championship contender... Is Ainge the cause of these problems or a big part of the reason for these problems?

ewing
02-01-2019, 09:28 PM
I love how if one person disagrees with you and 99 agree you only remember the one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 09:31 PM
i love how if one person disagrees with you and 99 agree you only remember the one

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

ty... Do you have an opinion on the actual thread now?

Heediot
02-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Seems like guys are still battling for each other and the coach. Everything outside the locker room is just media fluff to stir the pot and speculation.

He did do IT dirty, but with that hip and the Brinks truck demand, 95 percent of gms would of traded him or not caved in to IT's numbers. What if the didn't trade IT, then they offered IT 15 mil a year, he feels slighted and pulls a DMC and signs elsewhere for dirt cheap?

Vee-Rex
02-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Opening up old wounds, MTM. Playing with fire by calling out Ainge.

They're usually dormant in the regular season but swarm in the main forum during the playoffs. But a thread like this could awaken them from hibernation. Beware.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Seems like guys are still battling for each other and the coach. Everything outside the locker room is just media fluff to stir the pot and speculation.

He did do IT dirty, but with that hip and the Brinks truck demand, 95 percent of gms would of traded him or not caved in to IT's numbers. What if the didn't trade IT, then they offered IT 15 mil a year, he feels slighted and pulls a DMC and signs elsewhere for dirt cheap?

This is the one thing i give him mad props on.... He did something no other GM would have done in that situation and it was smart. That and the sixers trade are the 2 really great things i cant discredit him for but this is starting to look really bad for the celtics.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Opening up old wounds, MTM. Playing with fire by calling out Ainge.

They're usually dormant in the regular season but swarm in the main forum during the playoffs. But a thread like this could awaken them from hibernation. Beware.

good. It will make things fun around here lol.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 09:40 PM
On top of this the east is becoming no joke... KL might stay... The sixers have an option plus the progression of embiid/Simmons... The pacers will get Dipo back next season and the knicks could easily get 2 stars plus zion... Then there is washington who could be a question mark along with the bucks who look like the best team in the league.... The celtics had a chance to stomp on the East or give themselves a gap but not taking a risk might really hurt them going forward and then there is the nets.

ewing
02-01-2019, 09:42 PM
ty... Do you have an opinion on the actual thread now?

I didnít read your post but if you are saying he should have cashed in some of his assets to get PG or a different star wing I agree and I think most posters here felt that way

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 09:47 PM
I didnít read your post but if you are saying he should have cashed in some of his assets to get PG or a different star wing I agree and I think most posters here felt that way

PG13/KL were just 2 of the ones that could and maybe should be on the celtics right now. There is a ton of fire all day today with the celtics... comcast/sportsnet and all shows are basically starting off with them because of the kyrie comments and AD father comments.

ewing
02-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Teams should able ban these guys from social media. Them and their families but he should have made a deal

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Ainge has made the celtics a better team since trading IT. He got Kyrie and drafted Tatum. He also picked up an additional 1st for trading the 1st pick and drafting Tatum 3rd. That pick looks to be a lotto pick this year. I think Ainge has done a great job with this team improving the overall talent. What has hurt them really has been Hayward's freak injury. Ainge probably has not traded rozier because he's insurance if Kyrie leaves. Rozier has proven to be a solid PG in this league when he starts. The Celtics are 3 back in the loss column to the Rapters I believe, and maybe only a game and a half back of Philly? People act like the Celtics have been awful, they started 10-10, and have a record of 22-9 since then. I don't see how Ainge has hurt the Celtics by any means, not to mention they still have an extremely valuable draft pick in the Grizzlies pick (top 8 protected this yr, top 6 protected in 2020, unprotected in 2021).

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Forgot to mention the great trade of Avery Bradley for Marcus Morris as well. Morris has been great since joining the Cs.

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Morris, Horford >>>>> IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Olynyk

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Only really dumb move he made that I can't get over is drafting Olynyk over the Greek Freak, but about 14 teams skipped over Giannis and are probably kicking themselves in the rear as well

JAZZNC
02-01-2019, 10:18 PM
And they'd likely look a LOT better right now if Hayward hadn't suffered a horrible, freak injury. If that hadn't happened he'd easily be their best wing. But sometimes **** happens. I think hes done fine.

ewing
02-01-2019, 10:22 PM
And they'd likely look a LOT better right now if Hayward hadn't suffered a horrible, freak injury. If that hadn't happened he'd easily be their best wing. But sometimes **** happens. I think hes done fine.

I agree. he has actually done a great job but I also agree with MTM that he passed on a huge opportunity. I like Hayward more the MTM but they could have done better injury or no. The IT thing I can't blame him on. I am surprised that there hasn't been more blow back about them potentially knowing just how hurt IT was but at the end of the day he made a great trade.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 10:26 PM

I just never liked Hayward so I was never a fan of the signing... I thought you guys dodged a bullet there injury or no injury.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Teams should able ban these guys from social media. Them and their families but he should have made a deal

it would be best for teams but it will never happen... Today has been a horrid day though with the kyrie crap and AD dad.

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:29 PM
I loved IT in Boston, he was a star and he loved the city. But since the trade, IT has played 32 games. His career may be over. So Anthony Davis Sr. thinks the Celtics should have not traded IT for a better player and pay him the 100 million dollars he wanted? Sounds like a dumb father. That would have set the franchise back financially for years....the NBA is a business, there is no loyalty between the franchises and the players. Players switch teams more than MTM changes his pants after Philly chokes against Boston

kobe4thewinbang
02-01-2019, 10:30 PM
I mean, other than last season with Kyrie also bowing out early when the team was one win away from the NBA Finals, I still think they won the Thomas/Irving trade given how non-factor I.T. has been since the trade (still not playing). I don't think re-signing Smart was a good idea because I never hear about Smart. Hayward's injury just sucks, and Tatum has shown flashes of being a quality player. I like that Kyrie is becoming more of a distributor and asserting that alpha aura over these young guns.

Overall, they're still in the mix, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet on the Raptors or Bucks meeting the west's best come trophy time. I like Embiid a lot, but I still also think the Celtics are on the right path a bit more than the 76ers.

The hoard of Ainge has definitely gone rancid a bit, sure, but there's still time to get it going somewhere.

He keeps saying "we just need to work it out" and that he "doesn't see any real moves" for the team, but I think they gotta shake it up if they're going to really get back to where they were. Ask Irving who he wants to stick around, who he sees potential in, and who he just can't get behind or who impacts the team negatively the most.

I don't know who's tight with whom, but I would trade away Brown, Smart and Rozier for one quality player. Ask Kyrie who he sees out there. Hayward's going to need more time, but if they can make a run in these playoffs, that may be enough to keep Irving around and then summer could mean more moves. But if they keep this team as-is, they're going to burn in the playoffs because it's just not clicking right now. Depending on seeds, they may be a first round exit.

:hide:

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Honestly, if I were the Cs, I'd try and make a run at Beal

JAZZNC
02-01-2019, 10:34 PM
I just never liked Hayward so I was never a fan of the signing... I thought you guys dodged a bullet there injury or no injury.

Eh, we'd be a much better team with him I think. He's not a #1 by any means but he was a max player. I just didn't want a guy with that kinda chicken **** mentality. He didn't want the responsibility of being the face of the franchise.

OT, they definitely have a cluster **** at a couple positions and need to do some 2 for 1 kinda trades. He could have done better but he also could have done a lot worse.
Ainge has been above average. He hasn't cost them a ring yet but he's got work to do for sure.

kobe4thewinbang
02-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Honestly, if I were the Cs, I'd try and make a run at BealYeah, imagine having Kyrie/Hayward/Beal in a close game as the defense. Pick your poison on whose shot bites ya. Beal's done really well in some games, separating himself from Wall IMO. I thought it'd be Wall, but his health is just so ugh. Meanwhile, Beal dropping 40 something and notching 20 assists and crazy s--t like that. That and his jumpshot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yst0aad-Vh4

PAOboston
02-01-2019, 10:40 PM
What was Ainge supposed to do?

Heís in charge of the Celtics. He looks out for the best interests of the Celtics. Was he just supposed to just sit on his hands and try to not make the Cs better? IT got hurt. It stinks for him. But he wasnít mistreated by the Cs. The Cs gave this guy the opportunity to be a good player. The injury was just unfortunate timing for him.

As far as the rest of your assessment, I wonít even bother because it doesnít deserve anything consideration. The Cs will be fine. The reality is you would be doing backflips if you had Ainge as your GM in Philly.

corky831
02-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Exactly, IT was rotting on the bench in PHX as the 3rd PG. The Celtics let him become a star. He performed like a star, but Boston gave him the opportunity. ****** organization though...

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 10:45 PM
What was Ainge supposed to do?

Heís in charge of the Celtics. He looks out for the best interests of the Celtics. Was he just supposed to just sit on his hands and try to not make the Cs better? IT got hurt. It stinks for him. But he wasnít mistreated by the Cs. The Cs gave this guy the opportunity to be a good player. The injury was just unfortunate timing for him.

trading for PG13 or KL was a big miss

Hoarding assets is fine if you are bad but they could have done a ton to be a championship contender if they parted with picks/rozier/brown... Brown is coming around a bit but he still should go for something that makes them better.... Ainge doesnt take risks and when you are building a team that is fine but going from a playoff contender to a championship contender takes risks 9 times out of 10 and not taking a risk has hurt them so far... If Kyrie walks they are in trouble because then you have picks/tatum/Horford and a bad bad contract in hayward.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 10:46 PM
Exactly, IT was rotting on the bench in PHX as the 3rd PG. The Celtics let him become a star. He performed like a star, but Boston gave him the opportunity. ****** organization though...

the one thing i hate is the backlash for the IT thing... Again players say business is business but when something like that happens an organization gets **** on. AD dad is a DBag.

Lil Rhody
02-01-2019, 10:54 PM
A lot of teams would prefer these problems

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PAOboston
02-01-2019, 10:58 PM
trading for PG13 or KL was a big miss

Hoarding assets is fine if you are bad but they could have done a ton to be a championship contender if they parted with picks/rozier/brown... Brown is coming around a bit but he still should go for something that makes them better.... Ainge doesnt take risks and when you are building a team that is fine but going from a playoff contender to a championship contender takes risks 9 times out of 10 and not taking a risk has hurt them so far... If Kyrie walks they are in trouble because then you have picks/tatum/Horford and a bad bad contract in hayward.

How do you know it was a big miss? If he makes that deal, maybe he canít have a chance for AD. Aingeís nickname is Trader Danny. He makes plenty of deals and he wins almost all the time. Heís not going to overpay for a rental or for a guy he doesnít think is worth it.

More-Than-Most
02-01-2019, 11:01 PM
How do you know it was a big miss? If he makes that deal, maybe he canít have a chance for AD. Aingeís nickname is Trader Danny. He makes plenty of deals and he wins almost all the time. Heís not going to overpay for a rental or for a guy he doesnít think is worth it.

yea because he takes 0 risk when it comes to trades and overvalues his assets a ton. There was no risk in the Kyrie trade.... There was 0 risk in the sixers trade because even if fultz was gonna be a stud they still would have a first round pick... Like I said he is fine for building a contender but as a contender he has sat on his hands and waited for everything to happen.

PAOboston
02-01-2019, 11:22 PM
yea because he takes 0 risk when it comes to trades and overvalues his assets a ton. There was no risk in the Kyrie trade.... There was 0 risk in the sixers trade because even if fultz was gonna be a stud they still would have a first round pick... Like I said he is fine for building a contender but as a contender he has sat on his hands and waited for everything to happen.

At the time of the Irving trade, everyone said CLE bent the Cs over and Ainge overpaid. EVERYONE. Was he risk averse then? Itís a matter of perspective. A year and a half later, Cs basically gave up a draft pick for 2 years of Irving.

Secondly the players Ainge has in the roster are good. Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Smart could legit be starters on most teams in the NBA. Just because he has them doesnít mean he needs to get rid of them.

FlashBolt
02-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Boston gave him the opportunity, milked him through his injury, and chose to get rid of him. Again, good basketball decision but some people or players may feel affected by it.

GREATNESS ONE
02-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Thanks Ainge!

FlashBolt
02-01-2019, 11:32 PM
As popular as NFL is, NBA storylines dominate the news. Haven't heard much about the Superbowl but NBA storylines this week has been insane.

JAZZNC
02-01-2019, 11:50 PM
As popular as NFL is, NBA storylines dominate the news. Haven't heard much about the Superbowl but NBA storylines this week has been insane.
It has been an interesting change from the norm the week before the Superbowl. I think it's a combination of some truly big time storylines in the NBA and the fact that nobody cares about the Pat's playing in their 30th SB, that **** is just boring. I like it though, better than hearing about Brady/Belichick for the ten thousandth time.

GREATNESS ONE
02-01-2019, 11:51 PM

Thatís what LG just saidlast night, AD trade goes through Sunday.... weíll see.

GREATNESS ONE
02-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Super Bowl is stupid boring, Iíll barely watch and Iím a avid fan of the NFL.

corky831
02-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Boston gave him the opportunity, milked him through his injury, and chose to get rid of him. Again, good basketball decision but some people or players may feel affected by it.

Lol, the same players that change their minds daily about who they want to play for. There will probably never be another Kobe or Pierce or Nowitzki or Duncan. LeBron on his 3rd team, Durant jumped ship to the enemy, Jimmy Butler on his 3rd team, the list goes on. Talk about loyalty!

FlashBolt
02-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Super Bowl is stupid boring, Iíll barely watch and Iím a avid fan of the NFL.

The b/s no call in the Saints vs Rams game turned away many fans. Absolutely ridiculous that NFL didn't rectify that.

FlashBolt
02-02-2019, 12:09 AM
Lol, the same players that change their minds daily about who they want to play for. There will probably never be another Kobe or Pierce or Nowitzki or Duncan. LeBron on his 3rd team, Durant jumped ship to the enemy, Jimmy Butler on his 3rd team, the list goes on. Talk about loyalty!

Can we agree that some franchises show less loyalty than others? I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare all players as unloyal or loyal. LeBron was loyal to the Cavs until he had enough of their incompetence. He won a championship for the Cavs, as he said he would do, and went to pursue other goals of his. You can't expect loyalty in this day and age and I don't fault Ainge for not resigning IT but there are players who probably saw that as a deterrent.

lakers squad
02-02-2019, 12:25 AM
At the time of the Irving trade, everyone said CLE bent the Cs over and Ainge overpaid. EVERYONE. Was he risk averse then? Itís a matter of perspective. A year and a half later, Cs basically gave up a draft pick for 2 years of Irving.

Secondly the players Ainge has in the roster are good. Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Smart could legit be starters on most teams in the NBA. Just because he has them doesnít mean he needs to get rid of them.

Who actually said that, I remember thinking how dumb Gilbert was for making the move! He actually came back and tried to get more pics, because they knew they had screwed up 😆

More-Than-Most
02-02-2019, 02:58 AM
Who actually said that, I remember thinking how dumb Gilbert was for making the move! He actually came back and tried to get more pics, because they knew they had screwed up 😆

i honestly am not sure which side of the fence I was on either... I think I thought it was stupid by the celtics giving up a first for a guy who cant win them a championship and a player who is just a slight upgrade over IT. Clearly Kyrie is a big upgrade over an injured IT but i still dont think he can win a title with this team. It was def a smart move by ainge.

CELTICS4LYFE
02-02-2019, 09:37 AM
It did seem dirty at the time but looking back it was another genius move by DA.

IT still suffering from the same injury and hasnít played, so if DA ďbroke out the brinks truckĒ weíd have 2 MAX players suffering from injuries....

How loyal is your son asking for a trade mid season?

Cavs then traded IT 1/4 thru the season and Lebron is notorious for demanding in season trades, thatís the loyalty you want to go play with in LA?

CELTICS4LYFE
02-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Team trades player = no loyalty

Players demand trade = thatís fine

MILLERHIGHLIFE
02-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Honestly, if I were the Cs, I'd try and make a run at Beal

Wizard said it will be a quiet trade deadline. They wont be trading Beal or Porter or Wall. Beal already said playoffs.