PDA

View Full Version : James Harden Scoring Run

Rivera
01-24-2019, 10:50 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/29ol4lh.jpg

What do you make of this? How do you view it?

Tg11
01-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Ain't see nothin like it...Harden in a class by himself cuz it be like the light switch be turned all the way up and that be me keepin it 100 wit y'all man

Tg11
01-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Gotta preach again y'all cuz that Harden man...he just clutch as clutch can get

mightybosstone
01-24-2019, 11:04 AM
It's the most remarkable offensive regular season run I've seen by a player since I've been watching the NBA. It's reminiscent of Kobe's run in 2005-06, but on a far more efficient scale. And unlike that Lakers team, which had no real delusions of grandeur, Harden is doing this at a time when the Rockets absolutely NEED him to do this to keep them in the playoff hunt. He's allowed them to stay afloat while Gordon, Paul and Capela get healthy.

I know the man catches a lot of flack for his previously poor performances in the playoffs, but there's something to be said for an athlete stepping up in the way Harden has this season to keep his team alive in the postseason conversation. It's a different kind of clutch, but it's clutch nontheless.

I don't have time to really dive into the numbers right now, but if I get time later this afternoon or this weekend, I'll see if I can't find some crazy stats from this 21 games.

Tg11
01-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Watch him go off against the Raptors tomorrow

Scoots
01-24-2019, 11:24 AM
He IS the Rockets right now. I am concerned that he's going to burn out again.

Tg11
01-24-2019, 11:33 AM
He IS the Rockets right now. I am concerned that he's going to burn out again.

Me too but right now I'm just enjoying these performances because it is as close to Jordanesque

tredigs
01-24-2019, 11:42 AM
It's 42/37/88 on a usage/volume that is unprecedented in the modern era. It's the Harden show and while not particularly fun to watch for most, still an interesting experiment and impressive. This team desperately needs CP back though, and him to be better.

Tg11
01-24-2019, 12:05 PM
It's 42/37/88 on a usage/volume that is unprecedented in the modern era. It's the Harden show and while not particularly fun to watch for most, still an interesting experiment and impressive. This team desperately needs CP back though, and him to be better.

I wonder what Harden's volume will be like once CP3 and Gordon both come back

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2019, 12:08 PM
I don't have time to really dive into the numbers right now, but if I get time later this afternoon or this weekend, I'll see if I can't find some crazy stats from this 21 games.

All 61 of Harden's points in the garden were unassisted. His streak now sits at 263 straight unassisted points.

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Ain't see nothin like it...Harden in a class by himself cuz it be like the light switch be turned all the way up and that be me keepin it 100 wit y'all man

que??? me no comprende.

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2019, 12:14 PM
60% of the points came from free throws.

Tg11
01-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Proof Harden cannot be stopped

Foles9MVP
01-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Gotta give credit where credits due even if you dislike the player. This goes for any sport. A lot of us can’t stand Tom Brady, but you got to admire what he does year after year.

Not comparing Harden to Brady but my point is he’s on a great scoring run and he doesn’t look like it’s slowing down anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tg11
01-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Harden will score 60 plus again tomorrow against Kawhi and those Raptors

Giannis94
01-24-2019, 12:25 PM
if he's not the definition of a stats stuffer, I'm not sure what is . Not a good thing. But still better than Wardell

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
if he's not the definition of a stats stuffer, I'm not sure what is . Not a good thing. But still better than Wardell

russell westbrick.

tredigs
01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Harden will score 60 plus again tomorrow against Kawhi and those Raptors

Lol will take more than the same ~40 shots and 25 free throws. Raps aren't the worst D in the league like the old Knickerbockers. That said will Kawhi finally play a game? Seems like another situation where he's going to just be ambiguously out for some time.

Tg11
01-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Lol will take more than the same ~40 shots and 25 free throws. Raps aren't the worst D in the league like the old Knickerbockers. That said will Kawhi finally play a game? Seems like another situation where he's going to just be ambiguously out for some time.

Apparently Kawhi is supposed to play tomorrow

Heediot
01-24-2019, 12:41 PM
as amazing of a scorer he is this season, his flopping has him behind d rose in all star voting. it's really hard to fathom why he isn't voted as a starter thus far.

mightybosstone
01-24-2019, 01:02 PM
60% of the points came from free throws.

:confused: I don't know what you're referring to, but either way your math is really, really bad. 22 of his 61 points last night came from free throws, which is 36 percent. On the season, 10.3 of his 36.3 points comes from free throws, which is even less at 28.4 percent. So in no way are 60 percent of his points coming from free throws.

mightybosstone
01-24-2019, 01:05 PM

How is he stuffing stats? Are you watching these games? If he doesn't score every bit of those 61 points last night, the Rockets would have lost. It's not like he's putting up crazy numbers in blowouts. He's putting up numbers, because the team desperately NEEDS him to put up those numbers right now. He scored 61 of the team's 114 points last night on 38 attempts. The rest of the team scored 53 points on 52 attempts. Aside from Gordon, they've been awful lately.

Chronz
01-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Absolutely turning me into a fan but not so much so that I ignore guys like kobe and tmac getting more out of their teams offensively given the era differences and that he's with a coach infamous for instantly changing the narrative on playmakers given the cast

Scoots
01-24-2019, 01:33 PM
He's amazing no question. It still bugs me watching his game where he's developed his game and his body to get fouled.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Harden will be burned out by the time playoffs arrive.

valade16
01-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Harden is scoring 48.2 Points Per 100 Possessions. MJ's high is 46.4. Kobe's high is 45.6.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-24-2019, 01:51 PM

valade16
01-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Perusing the highest scoring games of all-time around 40 shots and 20 FTs seems to be about the norm for players scoring over 60. Also looking at the most shots attempted in a game, plenty of people have shot that much and failed to score 60.

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2019, 03:10 PM
:confused: I don't know what you're referring to, but either way your math is really, really bad. 22 of his 61 points last night came from free throws, which is 36 percent. On the season, 10.3 of his 36.3 points comes from free throws, which is even less at 28.4 percent. So in no way are 60 percent of his points coming from free throws.

the other 40% of the points come from travels.

brandt
01-24-2019, 03:18 PM

AND Capella.

brandt
01-24-2019, 03:25 PM
as amazing of a scorer he is this season, his flopping has him behind d rose in all star voting. it's really hard to fathom why he isn't voted as a starter thus far.
People just can’t stand him mainly for the reason you just said. He flops. So they aren’t going to vote for him. I think he’s an amazing player but even as a rockets fan, I can’t stand that part of him. The funny thing is, he doesn’t even need to do it but he still does.

Hawkeye15
01-24-2019, 03:32 PM
I mean, look at the freakin usage, my god. Not sure I have seen this before, but I worry it will wear him out badly as the season goes.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Rockets don't have much though. Over priced backcourt then brought Capella back. Yeah they got Gordon as well. But bench is thin. Boring construction of a team. No wonder Morey was dangling 4 first round picks a while back. CP3 contract will haunt Morey soon enough. Now Harden racking up the mileage.

Rivera
01-24-2019, 04:23 PM
I mean, look at the freakin usage, my god. Not sure I have seen this before, but I worry it will wear him out badly as the season goes.

James had a usage of 54.6 last night vs the Knicks :laugh:

had a +50 usage against the Lakers the other day

just to compare. Kobes 81 point night Kobe had a usage of 56.8

Hawkeye15
01-24-2019, 04:27 PM
James had a usage of 54.6 last night vs the Knicks :laugh:

had a +50 usage against the Lakers the other day

just to compare. Kobes 81 point night Kobe had a usage of 56.8

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=20&order_by=usg_pct

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-24-2019, 05:11 PM

Rivera
01-24-2019, 05:25 PM
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=mp_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=20&order_by=usg_pct

thats actually facsinating to study and then compare.

i was mentioning single game usages. The Harden v Knicks he had a 54.6 usage compared to Kobe and his 81 point game. Kobe had a 56.8

Hawkeye15
01-24-2019, 05:31 PM
thats actually facsinating to study and then compare.

i was mentioning single game usages. The Harden v Knicks he had a 54.6 usage compared to Kobe and his 81 point game. Kobe had a 56.8

oh I know you were, it prompted me to go look at usage through history. Westy shouldered even more 2 years ago, after the beotch left. Crazy man. Even more than AI!

valade16
01-24-2019, 06:13 PM
oh I know you were, it prompted me to go look at usage through history. Westy shouldered even more 2 years ago, after the beotch left. Crazy man. Even more than AI!

What's crazier is looking at the teams and how they did when a player had that much usage, it's not very good:

Russell Westbrook 41.7% - 2017 OKC 47-35 1st Rd Loss
Kobe Bryant 38.7% - 2006 LAL 47-35 1st Rd Loss
Michael Jordan 38.6% - 1986 Bulls 30-52 1st Rd Loss
Russell Westbrook 38.4% - 2015 OKC 47-35 Miss Playoffs
Michael Jordan 38.3% - 1987 Bulls 40-42 1st Rd Loss
Allen Iverson 37.8% - 2002 76ers 43-39 1st Rd Loss

Even more surprising is that generally all those players' teams did far better when their usage dropped even if it was still fairly high.

The 2016 OKC went to the WCFs when Westy's % dropped to 31.6%
The Lakers went to the Finals when Kobe's Usage dropped to 31.4% in 2008
The Bulls dynasty took off with MJ averaging closer to 33% Usage.
The 76ers had gone to the Finals the year before with AI averaging a 35% Usage rate.

Obviously in the first 3 cases we see the Usage drop as other talented players join them (PG for OKC, Pippen developing for MJ and Pau/Odom/etc. for Kobe).

Tg11
01-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Harden is playing in Mamba mode...Mamba Mentality at its finest

FlashBolt
01-24-2019, 06:25 PM

Well, Harden's USG% is definitely much higher than 40% during this stretch but CP3 played 26 games. I'm curious as to what his USG% has been during this stretch but I'm going to say over 50%. The problem is people say he's going to burn out. I disagree up until the playoffs. The regular season doesn't really have a grueling schedule anymore. Players are simply switching on defense moreso than playing tough defense. Harden isn't getting beaten up in the paint or fouled hard. He can continue this but when the playoffs come and they start to key in on him, I doubt he'll be able to keep this up.

aman_13
01-24-2019, 06:28 PM
And he will be going up against Kawhi tomorrow night. Should be fun!

Tg11
01-24-2019, 06:35 PM
And he will be going up against Kawhi tomorrow night. Should be fun!

Rockets gon take that W and hand y'all Raptors your *****

aman_13
01-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Rockets gon take that W and hand y'all Raptors your *****

I would be surprised if they win tomorrow night. Especially if OG is back. Too many high-end defensive players for him to overcome by himself, but he's on an incredible run right now, so i can't rule it out.

Scoots
01-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Well, Harden's USG% is definitely much higher than 40% during this stretch but CP3 played 26 games. I'm curious as to what his USG% has been during this stretch but I'm going to say over 50%. The problem is people say he's going to burn out. I disagree up until the playoffs. The regular season doesn't really have a grueling schedule anymore. Players are simply switching on defense moreso than playing tough defense. Harden isn't getting beaten up in the paint or fouled hard. He can continue this but when the playoffs come and they start to key in on him, I doubt he'll be able to keep this up.

Even with the less physical game, there is still a physical and mental drain when you are the only one giving your team a chance to win night after night after night.

JAZZNC
01-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Even with the less physical game, there is still a physical and mental drain when you are the only one giving your team a chance to win night after night after night.
That's one thing I have always admired about Harden. He shows up and plays every single night. Hes a beast of a dude and has the build to take the physical abuse game after game. Like I think that Curry could put up equally gaudy numbers given this kind of usage but I dont believe his body would hold up as well as Harden.

FlashBolt
01-24-2019, 09:39 PM

He's been in the NBA and has done it long enough to know what he's doing. The physical aspect isn't there. No one is trying to actually do anything to punish Harden the way others did. Shaq would always clobber a player for trying to attack the paint. There is nothing to resemble that today. Just a lot of switching.

nicnac
01-24-2019, 10:07 PM
Ball hog and makes mello look like a team player. I wonder how his teammates REALLY feel. i believe that they do not want him dribbling 100 times and shooting every other time down the court. He doesnt trust his teamates anymore

He looks like a harlem globe trotter with the ball. But the skills are outstanding

basch152
01-24-2019, 10:21 PM
literally not impressive in the slightest. One of the highest usage % ever if not the outright highest ever, a number of players would do very similar things given that usage, his efficiency is average, and he has like 60 more turnovers than the next highest player.

he's a great player, but if he continues like this the same thing that ALWAYS happens when players play like this will happen come playoffs - a 2nd round exit at best.

R. Johnson#3
01-24-2019, 10:33 PM
It's funny because Harden doesn't really ever look like he's kicking it into overdrive. He doesn't really ever waste energy. I admit watching him hunt for fouls is annoying as hell but you have to give credit where credit is due. He's mastered this new style of NBA basketball and what he's doing right now is nothing short of amazing.

nastynice
01-25-2019, 06:51 AM
The funny thing is, he doesn’t even need to do it but he still does.

Yup, 2 years ago against the warriors in the playoffs he wasn't getting any calls, even on legit fouls, lol, so he just accepted he won't be getting calls and started finishing way nastier at the rim.

mightybosstone
01-25-2019, 09:41 AM
You and me both, man. D'Antoni has got to find a way to get that dude some rest, but it's probably not going to happen until Paul is back—which is hopefully sooner rather than later.

Some of these other posts, though, are just mind-numbingly ignorant. Now I'll admit that I'm a bit of a Rockets homer and I really have to do my best to temper my Harden love, because some of the criticism he receives (some) is fair. But some of these posts are just..... :bang:

Ball hog and makes mello look like a team player.
:confused: What? He's finished 6th, 1st and 3rd the last three years in assists per game, and he's fourth in the league this year at 8.3 a game. He's also second in the NBA in AST% this season at 43.5, his third straight season with a number in the top three in the league. By comparison, Melo never averaged more than 4.2 assists per game or posted an AST% higher than 21.9. He wasn't half the distributor Harden is—LITERALLY.

And if Harden's assists numbers have been lower as of late, you can't really blame him. He's playing without his best pick and roll partner in Capela, and the rest of the team is bricking shots like crazy. For context, the last two games, everyone outside of Harden on the Rocket roster shot 39-112 for a whopping 109 points. I watched those two games, and I wish I had counted the number of times a possession started with Harden making a good pass to an open player and ending with a bricked shot on an open look.

I wonder how his teammates REALLY feel.
Pretty damn good, I would think. Look at who his teammates are! Rivers was toiling away on Washington's bench before coming here and was recently quoted as saying this is the most fun he's ever had playing basketball. Faried was sitting on Brooklyn's bench. Gary Clark is an undrafted free agent, Tucker and Ennis are role players, and Gerald Green was on his couch last year when the Rockets called him up (and loves playing in his hometown in Houston with Harden, btw).

The only guy who could probably complain would be Gordon, and he was injured for a huge chunk of this run. Plus, he doesn't really have much room to complain considering how awful he's been this season aside from those two clutch 3-pointers in the last week.

i believe that they do not want him dribbling 100 times and shooting every other time down the court. He doesnt trust his teamates anymore
Yeah, because it's way better to have Eric Gordon and Austin Rivers handling the ball than Harden. Wait.... what? And it's kind of hard to trust your teammates when they're hitting 34 percent from the floor as a team.

literally not impressive in the slightest. One of the highest usage % ever if not the outright highest ever, a number of players would do very similar things given that usage
:pity: You know Westbrook actually boasted a higher USG% two years ago when he won MVP? Hell, he was even taking more shots (24) than Harden (23.9). And yet Harden is averaging nearly five more points per game than Westbrook did that year and doing so with a team destroyed by injuries and a supporting cast even worse than Westbrook's was that season.

Also, I think you completely misunderstand usage, chief. You're acting like boasting a USG% this high is something players should want to do or would dream of doing. It's not. Harden is running himself ragged, but he has to, because his second and third best players are out, and if he doesn't the Rockets are going to fall out of the postseason. Trust me when I say that, while this is fun to watch, I don't really want Harden taking this many shots or playing this many minutes. I'd much rather his USG% be down where it was last season.

A USG% this high isn't a gift. It's a curse.

his efficiency is average, and he has like 60 more turnovers than the next highest player.
This is probably the worst point in the entire thread. Average? Try remarkable. When Westbrook had his absurd USG% season two years ago, he posted a 55.4% TS%. THAT'S average. In 05-06, when Kobe was averaging 35 a game, he had a 55.9% TS%. That's average. Harden's 62.2% TS% at 36 freaking points per game? That's astounding!

That's the highest TS% he's had since coming to Houston. By comparison, Lebron's career TS% is around 59%, and he posted a 62.1% TS% last season and is sitting at 60.1% this year. Harden is actually 18th in the league in TS%, and most of the guys ahead of him are bigs or role playing spot shooters. So, yeah, the dude is incredibly efficient. You need to educate yourself on what it means to be "efficient" before bringing it up again.

warfelg
01-25-2019, 09:44 AM
I wrote it in the GDT:
Here for the scoring run, staying for the “he’s too tired” takes come playoffs.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-25-2019, 10:21 AM

mightybosstone
01-25-2019, 10:28 AM
I wrote it in the GDT:
Here for the scoring run, staying for the “he’s too tired” takes come playoffs.

You don't think it's fair to assume that a guy with too much responsibility in the regular season would wear down and be exhausted by the playoffs? I'm not making excuses for the guy, necessarily. If he's tired and needs some rest, he and D'Antoni needs to be having those conversations. But, historically, guys who post crazy usage like this wear down come playoff time. Look at Westbrook two years ago. Granted, that team wasn't going very far, but he was looking exhausted at the end of games.

And I think we're seeing it with Harden already. In that Knicks game, he was 5-12 on his first dozen 3-point attempts and missed his last eight—almost all of them were short. By the fourth, he was settling for that step-back, and he wasn't driving anymore. He was just gassed.

If I were the coach, I'd be resting Harden a hell of a lot more. Like this game against Toronto tonight. Kawhi is playing, and that team would be tough to beat even with Paul and Capela. Sit the guy, and let him get a rest for some much more winnable games coming up on the schedule.

mightybosstone
01-25-2019, 10:31 AM

So basically we can't even discuss regular season accomplishments like this because a player's past postseason performances make any current regular season accomplishment completely irrelevant? That seems fair.

Between my baby coming and the sheer exhaustion of having to defend Harden every time a thread like this comes up, I'm getting dangerously close on bailing on the NBA forum altogether. This just isn't fun for me anymore...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-25-2019, 10:32 AM

Hawkeye15
01-25-2019, 11:39 AM
literally not impressive in the slightest. One of the highest usage % ever if not the outright highest ever, a number of players would do very similar things given that usage, his efficiency is average, and he has like 60 more turnovers than the next highest player.

he's a great player, but if he continues like this the same thing that ALWAYS happens when players play like this will happen come playoffs - a 2nd round exit at best.

what? His efficiency is unreal, especially considering his usage.

mightybosstone
01-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Dude, if you're going to post opinions from Twitter, at least post those from people who matter. That guy has 110 followers and has literally zero credibility as an NBA analyst. This is getting a little pathetic...

Hawkeye15
01-25-2019, 11:42 AM
What's crazier is looking at the teams and how they did when a player had that much usage, it's not very good:

Russell Westbrook 41.7% - 2017 OKC 47-35 1st Rd Loss
Kobe Bryant 38.7% - 2006 LAL 47-35 1st Rd Loss
Michael Jordan 38.6% - 1986 Bulls 30-52 1st Rd Loss
Russell Westbrook 38.4% - 2015 OKC 47-35 Miss Playoffs
Michael Jordan 38.3% - 1987 Bulls 40-42 1st Rd Loss
Allen Iverson 37.8% - 2002 76ers 43-39 1st Rd Loss

Even more surprising is that generally all those players' teams did far better when their usage dropped even if it was still fairly high.

The 2016 OKC went to the WCFs when Westy's % dropped to 31.6%
The Lakers went to the Finals when Kobe's Usage dropped to 31.4% in 2008
The Bulls dynasty took off with MJ averaging closer to 33% Usage.
The 76ers had gone to the Finals the year before with AI averaging a 35% Usage rate.

Obviously in the first 3 cases we see the Usage drop as other talented players join them (PG for OKC, Pippen developing for MJ and Pau/Odom/etc. for Kobe).

yeah, and we both know why teams don't go far with hero ball, no matter how good that player is. Defenses have 5 guys, eventually they can limit anyone.

Remember the whole "clutch" debate? Kobe has long been considered mr clutch, and it was found that his team actually goes from great to terrible in tight games because he goes 1-5, hell with it. That just isn't smart basketball at the highest level. Too easy for the defense..

Heediot
01-25-2019, 11:48 AM
So basically we can't even discuss regular season accomplishments like this because a player's past postseason performances make any current regular season accomplishment completely irrelevant? That seems fair.

Between my baby coming and the sheer exhaustion of having to defend Harden every time a thread like this comes up, I'm getting dangerously close on bailing on the NBA forum altogether. This just isn't fun for me anymore...

Yeah. I think you should be chill and calm for your wife's pregnancy. It's good emotional contagion. There are more important things in life vs. the nba forum. Hope your wife births a healthy and joyful kid.

Rivera
01-25-2019, 11:51 AM

you might like this place more once the baby is here tbh. good way to get some frustrated energy out when the baby gets extra annoying and theres nothing you can do except let the baby cry :laugh2:

Htownballa1622
01-25-2019, 01:05 PM

You're out here doing the lords work. I don't respond when I see it but I usually just grin. These people are uninformed. If the National talking heads don't even get it, why would a twitter troll or a PSD forum member (fan of a different team) even get it?

Don't sweat it anymore. Just sit back and enjoy the NBA ride and the baby ride. My son just got his 4 month shots yesterday and it hurt me to see his pain but it was for like a minute then he was over it and fell asleep. Enjoy every moment man. Kids are a blessing but I agree with poster above. PSD will be your getaway on moments when he's fussy and then falls asleep. Enjoy sleep now.

Rockets will be fine. Just hoping everyone gets healthy and ready come playoff time.

As for the thread. Harden is balling. Is it sustainable? Sure, for regular season as long as others are injured. Is it ideal? No. Rockets are a much better team when James doesn't have to shoulder this load. We can still appreciate the greatness while understanding what it is. Backhanded statements like "This team sucks while Harden's just got high usage" are obvious geniuses.

warfelg
01-25-2019, 01:32 PM
You don't think it's fair to assume that a guy with too much responsibility in the regular season would wear down and be exhausted by the playoffs? I'm not making excuses for the guy, necessarily. If he's tired and needs some rest, he and D'Antoni needs to be having those conversations. But, historically, guys who post crazy usage like this wear down come playoff time. Look at Westbrook two years ago. Granted, that team wasn't going very far, but he was looking exhausted at the end of games.

And I think we're seeing it with Harden already. In that Knicks game, he was 5-12 on his first dozen 3-point attempts and missed his last eight—almost all of them were short. By the fourth, he was settling for that step-back, and he wasn't driving anymore. He was just gassed.

If I were the coach, I'd be resting Harden a hell of a lot more. Like this game against Toronto tonight. Kawhi is playing, and that team would be tough to beat even with Paul and Capela. Sit the guy, and let him get a rest for some much more winnable games coming up on the schedule.

And I understand the rest part, but I do think D'Antoni needs to pick his spots and let the guy rest at times. Like when CP3 and Capela come back I would give Harden like a week off.

But I will say on part of it:
I think Harden needs to pick his moments better too. He had a few drives and step backs against the Sixers where someone was wide open and he still dribbled for another 5-6 seconds before driving into a stacked lane. I don't think he does himself a lot of favors.

And ****. If they want to double me as soon as I crossed the line I would be standing in the corner and let them play 4v3.

Rivera
01-25-2019, 01:36 PM
You're out here doing the lords work. I don't respond when I see it but I usually just grin. These people are uninformed. If the National talking heads don't even get it, why would a twitter troll or a PSD forum member (fan of a different team) even get it?

Don't sweat it anymore. Just sit back and enjoy the NBA ride and the baby ride. My son just got his 4 month shots yesterday and it hurt me to see his pain but it was for like a minute then he was over it and fell asleep. Enjoy every moment man. Kids are a blessing but I agree with poster above. PSD will be your getaway on moments when he's fussy and then falls asleep. Enjoy sleep now.

Rockets will be fine. Just hoping everyone gets healthy and ready come playoff time.

As for the thread. Harden is balling. Is it sustainable? Sure, for regular season as long as others are injured. Is it ideal? No. Rockets are a much better team when James doesn't have to shoulder this load. We can still appreciate the greatness while understanding what it is. Backhanded statements like "This team sucks while Harden's just got high usage" are obvious geniuses.

my girl just got her 4 month shots 2 Tuesdays ago! MBT is going to love fatherhood. I love it. Theres nothing I wont do to see my daughter smile, such a warming feeling

but i also know, sometimes the baby goes nuts and just starts crying, mind you I have a girl and shes already learning the dramtic cry/yell :laugh2:

and for those moments, MBT is going to love to go on PSD and go on one of these long posts to get away from the baby crying, I know I do :laugh2:

R. Johnson#3
01-25-2019, 01:55 PM

This would be valid if they lost but that’s not the case. He also had 2 starters who were cast away by their respective teams (Faried and Rivers). He’s literally winning games with an 8 man rotation featuring 2 throwaway players. Keep chugging your haterade while Harden goes back to back with that MVP trophy.

Tg11
01-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Harden going back to back

FlashBolt
01-25-2019, 06:01 PM
And I understand the rest part, but I do think D'Antoni needs to pick his spots and let the guy rest at times. Like when CP3 and Capela come back I would give Harden like a week off.

But I will say on part of it:
I think Harden needs to pick his moments better too. He had a few drives and step backs against the Sixers where someone was wide open and he still dribbled for another 5-6 seconds before driving into a stacked lane. I don't think he does himself a lot of favors.

And ****. If they want to double me as soon as I crossed the line I would be standing in the corner and let them play 4v3.
No time to rest. Playoffs coming around. Entirely possible every game matters here between making the playoffs, losing in the 1st or 2nd round. Rockets need to milk Harden as much as possible because that's what works.

Tg11
01-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Kawhi vs Harden tonight

Chronz
01-25-2019, 11:36 PM
Harden is playing in Mamba mode...Mamba Mentality at its finest

Nah, kobe played in a team system, harden is just cheesing, I would bet he doesn't get his team to over achieve

mightybosstone
01-26-2019, 09:15 AM
I know Harden wasn't especially great last night, but in extending the streak and keeping this thread alive, I thought it was worth mentioning what feels like the craziest stat to me from this run. In this 22 games, the Rockets are 16-6 in that stretch. But even more importantly, since CP3 went down, they've gone 12-5!

Now considering how good they were last year, that record may not shock you. But consider that prior to this 22-game stretch, the Rockets were 12-14 and were 0-5 in games Chris Paul didn't play, getting outscored by a total of 47 points in those five games. That's remarkable to me.

I missed the first half of that Heat game back in December, but when I turned it on in the second half and saw that Paul was out with hamstring issues, I was totally deflated. When I saw he was going to be out for a month and I looked at the Rockets upcoming schedule, I honestly thought their season was over. The fact that they're instead sitting at 5th in the West, having gone 12-5 in those 17 games without Paul and with a legit chance at a top 3 seed just blows my mind.

One other crazy stat, and I'll let this go for a while, but in this 22 games, the Rockets have gone 16-6 with Paul missing 17 games, Ennis missing 11 games, Gordon missing eight games and Capela missing six. That's four of the Rockets five starters missing a combined 42 games in a 22-game stretch, and they still went 16-6!

Tg11
01-26-2019, 09:20 AM
I know Harden wasn't especially great last night, but in extending the streak and keeping this thread alive, I thought it was worth mentioning what feels like the craziest stat to me from this run. In this 22 games, the Rockets are 16-6 in that stretch. But even more importantly, since CP3 went down, they've gone 12-5!

Now considering how good they were last year, that record may not shock you. But consider that prior to this 22-game stretch, the Rockets were 12-14 and were 0-5 in games Chris Paul didn't play, getting outscored by a total of 47 points in those five games. That's remarkable to me.

I missed the first half of that Heat game back in December, but when I turned it on in the second half and saw that Paul was out with hamstring issues, I was totally deflated. When I saw he was going to be out for a month and I looked at the Rockets upcoming schedule, I honestly thought their season was over. The fact that they're instead sitting at 5th in the West, having gone 12-5 in those 17 games without Paul and with a legit chance at a top 3 seed just blows my mind.

One other crazy stat, and I'll let this go for a while, but in this 22 games, the Rockets have gone 16-6 with Paul missing 17 games, Ennis missing 11 games, Gordon missing eight games and Capela missing six. That's four of the Rockets five starters missing a combined 42 games in a 22-game stretch, and they still went 16-6!

Because of Harden going beast on every team he faces but also because of their role players stepping up

brandt
01-26-2019, 09:25 AM
Ball hog and makes mello look like a team player. I wonder how his teammates REALLY feel. i believe that they do not want him dribbling 100 times and shooting every other time down the court. He doesnt trust his teamates anymore

He looks like a harlem globe trotter with the ball. But the skills are outstanding

Well maybe he’s being a ball hog because he has to be, if he wants to win with Chris Paul and Capella on the bench. He probably passes the ball more than anyone else at his level.

Tg11
01-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Well maybe he’s being a ball hog because he has to be, if he wants to win with Chris Paul and Capella on the bench. He probably passes the ball more than anyone else at his level.

Exactly and someone has to carry the team on their back...who better than Harden

Scoots
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Defending Harden's position in the league is impossible because of his postseason failures. It's not hating, it's just a case of he has to prove it in the post season to get some people's respect. It was true of Jordan and LeBron, no reason Harden should get a pass.

mightybosstone
01-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Defending Harden's position in the league is impossible because of his postseason failures. It's not hating, it's just a case of he has to prove it in the post season to get some people's respect. It was true of Jordan and LeBron, no reason Harden should get a pass.

What does that have to do with anything anyone has said in the last 24 hours? You just jumped in and randomly dropped this comment. And, again, I'll respond like I did to other posters: Does nothing Harden accomplishes in the regular season matter at all? Is this streak and how much he's lifted his team up completely irrelevant because it's not in the postseason?

Jeffy25
01-26-2019, 06:15 PM
42.8 PPG since the 12/13 game shown above on 27.6 FGA (15.5 FGA per game)

Rockets are 16-6

Jeffy25
01-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Dude, if you're going to post opinions from Twitter, at least post those from people who matter. That guy has 110 followers and has literally zero credibility as an NBA analyst. This is getting a little pathetic...

You are being more than a little defensive here.

Harden is on the extreme end of what the league has allowed. Some people don't like that. I think that's understandable.

The league caters to what Harden is doing, it's understandable. What he is doing is efficient, fantastic, valuable, etc.

Doesn't mean people like it. Defense doesn't matter, you can't touch the guy you are guarding, the team element has been broken for far too long, and guys can just chuck 3's and drive for maximum efficiency, while never playing any defense. It's a joke from what the game used to be. A lot of people don't like that. It's nothing to do with Harden, and every thing to do with the league today.

Jeffy25
01-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Well, Harden's USG% is definitely much higher than 40% during this stretch but CP3 played 26 games. I'm curious as to what his USG%

It's 43.8% since 12/13, but last night lowered him a little. When you posted this, he was at 44.2%

FlashBolt
01-26-2019, 07:33 PM

Yup. At some point, regular season stats are nice but it gets boring. I just find it distasteful that Harden hasn't had any Playoff moments worth remembering and he's been in the NBA for a decade. The guy will be 30 next season. He's not a Giannis/Embiid/Davis youngling. Time is ticking for Harden. I don't expect the guy to win. Just don't disappear. If you can do it in the regular season, I don't want to hear it about why you can't do it in the playoffs.

ewing
01-26-2019, 07:38 PM

Jordan didn’t win a title for 7 years but he was the best player in every series he ever played and probably the best playoff performanwr every year

FlashBolt
01-26-2019, 07:55 PM
What does that have to do with anything anyone has said in the last 24 hours? You just jumped in and randomly dropped this comment. And, again, I'll respond like I did to other posters: Does nothing Harden accomplishes in the regular season matter at all? Is this streak and how much he's lifted his team up completely irrelevant because it's not in the postseason?

It does matter to a certain extent but it's tough to view Harden as a player when the back of your mind, you've seen him underperform in the big stages. Now, this has nothing to do with the regular season for me. I know what Harden can do every regular season. What I don't know is what you get from him in the postseason. And yes, that image does matter. The consensus of Bron being better than Kobe pretty much happened when LeBron won his championship. Ever since then, he's been sensational. So much to the point where despite him not having the better regular seasons than other players, he's still regarded as the best player in the NBA. Where do you think that comes from? Because the guy shows up in the playoffs, win or lose. If we disqualified the playoffs, Harden, Russell, Curry, and Davis would probably look better than LeBron as NBA players.

Chronz
01-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Jordan didn’t win a title for 7 years but he was the best player in every series he ever played and probably the best playoff performanwr every year

Squid got him one year

More-Than-Most
01-26-2019, 10:05 PM
i have been pro what harden is doing because of his lack of help and how much he is clearly better than curry etc... I will agree with flash though... if you are that great you cant keep playing that badly in the playoffs... i mean its almost a given for him to have horrid shooting performances or almost 10 turnover games... He doesnt lack the help come playoffs but isnt nearly the player he is during the regular season. This year he has to change that. I am not talking championship because that is stupid.... This is why i never fault cp3... CP3 plays amazing in the playoffs but loses... that is fine. Harden needs that type of performance where he is amazing but just loses to a better team.. there is no harm in that outside of stupid people who think winning championships is the end all be all when evaluating players.

Scoots
01-26-2019, 11:06 PM

Correct, nothing Harden does will change some people's opinion. He HAS to win in the post season and maintain his dominant performances when teams are scheming to stop him to wipe away that stink.

Scoots
01-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Yup. At some point, regular season stats are nice but it gets boring. I just find it distasteful that Harden hasn't had any Playoff moments worth remembering and he's been in the NBA for a decade. The guy will be 30 next season. He's not a Giannis/Embiid/Davis youngling. Time is ticking for Harden. I don't expect the guy to win. Just don't disappear. If you can do it in the regular season, I don't want to hear it about why you can't do it in the playoffs.

His more remembered moments were spectacular failures.