PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnsonís biggest mistake?

WaDe03
01-22-2019, 11:32 AM
DeAngelo Russell is having an all star year and leading a solid Nets team to the playoffs (currently at the 6th seed). Heís clearly the best young player the Lakers have recently drafted but they traded him away. He would be a very good fit next to LeBron with his ability to shoot and will continue to get better.

Russell
Kuzma
Hart
Ball
Ingram (Wiggins Jr.)

Who do you think the best player is out of these 5? Is this Magicís biggest mistake so far or at least one of them? Letting go of Randle is a big one too.

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 11:41 AM
DeAngelo Russell is having an all star year and leading a solid Nets team to the playoffs (currently at the 6th seed). Heís clearly the best young player the Lakers have recently drafted but they traded him away. He would be a very good fit next to LeBron with his ability to shoot and will continue to get better.

Russell
Kuzma
Hart
Ball
Ingram (Wiggins Jr.)

Who do you think the best player is out of these 5? Is this Magicís biggest mistake so far or at least one of them? Letting go of Randle is a big one too.

I take offense to that. Ingram was on an upward trajectory prior to this year. LeBron is great, but he all but stalls the growth of players who need to ball to grow. Ingram should be a good player down the line.

Ball is easily the biggest mistake. How an unathletic, terrible shooting PG can go so high, I will never get.

Tg11
01-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Drafting Big Baller Zo was a big mistake

Heediot
01-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Russell
Kuzma
Hart
Ball
Ingram (Wiggins Jr.)

Yeah could of been the poor man's Kyrie for LeBron.

OTOH, didn't they get the cap room for LeBron by shipping Moz with him to BK?

I guess you could argue that you should have shipped another asset + Moz to BK.

Heediot
01-22-2019, 11:55 AM
I never had the same vibes about Ingram as others. He always seemed soft and potentially fragile to me, even with the rules that help perimeter players.

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 11:57 AM
I never had the same vibes about Ingram as others. He always seemed soft and potentially fragile to me, even with the rules that help perimeter players.

I don't think he was going to be Kevin Durant, but he will be a serviceable scorer down the line.

Heediot
01-22-2019, 11:59 AM
I think Lonzo will be fine, he is putting in the work on his shot and unlike Simmons, he isn't afraid to put into practice in a live game. Just give him more time for more work/refinement and live reps and it'll change the way you can defend him and he'll be a nice player. He's already solid and above average on D and his passing skills are elite. He can grab boards for his position too. Although Rubio out in the work and is still an iffy shooter, but so did Kidd and other guys who improved their shot so we'll see.

SenileStern
01-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Russell was mic'ed up in the last game, he sounds so dumb. I'm glad he is gone.

Also, how is Lonzo unathletic? Not true at all.

Cal827
01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
At this time, looks like it's a good chance that it's going to be the Lonzo pick/Russel Trade. Ball is kinda looking like a bust (for what he was supposed to be) at this point. We will of course see because he's very young.

It's luck of the draw, just like he nailed the pick on Kuzma, so it evens out I guess :laugh2:

WaDe03
01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
I take offense to that. Ingram was on an upward trajectory prior to this year. LeBron is great, but he all but stalls the growth of players who need to ball to grow. Ingram should be a good player down the line.

Ball is easily the biggest mistake. How an unathletic, terrible shooting PG can go so high, I will never get.

Haha he might but Wiggins was also trending up and he is what he is it seems.

I definitely wouldnít say he unathletic, he can fly. As for the jumper, he could shoot good in college so Iím not really sure what happened.

WaDe03
01-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Yeah could of been the poor man's Kyrie for LeBron.

OTOH, didn't they get the cap room for LeBron by shipping Moz with him to BK?

I guess you could argue that you should have shipped another asset + Moz to BK.

Think youíre right but I definitely think they couldíve shipped someone else.

Scoots
01-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Cheating on his wife.

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 12:34 PM
I think Lonzo will be fine, he is putting in the work on his shot and unlike Simmons, he isn't afraid to put into practice in a live game. Just give him more time for more work/refinement and live reps and it'll change the way you can defend him and he'll be a nice player. He's already solid and above average on D and his passing skills are elite. He can grab boards for his position too. Although Rubio out in the work and is still an iffy shooter, but so did Kidd and other guys who improved their shot so we'll see.

but if you are the Lakers and have a short window of high lottery picks, you just don't want to land on a guy who "will be fine". Ball has a long ways to go to be Rubio, who dominates the game in some areas, but just can't score. Tatum or Fox would have been a better pick.

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Russell was mic'ed up in the last game, he sounds so dumb. I'm glad he is gone.

Also, how is Lonzo unathletic? Not true at all.

Ball isn't a speedy, quick PG. When you can't shoot a lick, you need to be able to put pressure on the D somehow. Think Brandon Roy. Never athletic really, but super skilled.

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 12:36 PM
how does every PG who can't shoot somehow draw Kidd comparisons anyways?

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Haha he might but Wiggins was also trending up and he is what he is it seems.

I definitely wouldnít say he unathletic, he can fly. As for the jumper, he could shoot good in college so Iím not really sure what happened.

when was Wiggins trending up?

Anyways, Ingram will be better than Wiggins.

Heediot
01-22-2019, 12:48 PM
but if you are the Lakers and have a short window of high lottery picks, you just don't want to land on a guy who "will be fine". Ball has a long ways to go to be Rubio, who dominates the game in some areas, but just can't score. Tatum or Fox would have been a better pick.

He'll be a nice player better than Ingram imo. Borderline all-star with the right opportunity/usage in his prime.

WaDe03
01-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Cheating on his wife.

Lmao can you change the title to ďMagics 2nd biggest mistake?Ē

IndyRealist
01-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Ball is still the best prospect they have. Everyone else is trade bait

The biggest mistake Magic has made was not throwing everything in for one of Paul George or Kawhi Leonard. Having that player in hand and Lebron joining him virtually guarantees an all-star big comes in free agency

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Ball is still the best prospect they have. Everyone else is trade bait

The biggest mistake Magic has made was not throwing everything in for one of Paul George or Kawhi Leonard. Having that player in hand and Lebron joining him virtually guarantees an all-star big comes in free agency

very true. None of their young guys is worth sweating over if you trade them away and it doesn't work out.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-22-2019, 02:05 PM
Drafting Ball like others have said. Then they thought about trading him other year then Ball had some random injury so he couldn't get traded. Now he's injured again just before trade deadline. How convenient hey? Yeah other teams can waive the physical if they really want him injured or not.

Yeah Magic signed LeBron but was in a hurry to spend on Lance,Rondo,KCP,Beasley. Also signing LeBron might of ruined landing other stars that rather be there without LeBron being there. Butler already was quoted saying that. Said Lakers would of been nice till LeBron signed there. Kawhi has Raptors/Clippers as 1a and 1b. Lakers and Celtics still eyeing up AD. But doubt all 4 Lakers kids is enough to get AD.

Then Magic bought out Deng way to fast. There was no need to use stretch provision so soon. Could of used his big contract and some of the kids to land Butler or something. Heck maybe even Beal. Now to match up in a big trade you have to dump all the guys ya signed this summer in Rondo,KCP,Lance,Beasley.

Magic is turning it around. But it could of been better with LeBron signing with Lakers this coming summer. Seemed a season to soon. Should of tanked one more season. Or like others have said keep DLO. Maybe lessor extent Randle.

Lakers need a block buster trade badly. But only kid with real value is Kuzma. Ingram is just potential but we all heard that before. Ball's defense is nice but his shooting is meh. Hart is meh.

Tg11
01-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Lakers should have kept D'Lo...bet they regret it now

IndyRealist
01-22-2019, 03:48 PM
I don't get the D'Angelo Russell love. Their record seems to have very little to do with him.

Tg11
01-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Yeah but DLo is puttin up buckets now in Brooklyn like almost like he the #1 option which he should have been in LA; but he more or less has matured now

Htownballa1622
01-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Cheating on his wife.

*& NOT "protecting" himself. :p

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Cheating on his wife.

I was like 15 when he announced he was HIV positive. I remember it hit me quite a bit. I was a big fan of his.

ewing
01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
I was like 15 when he announced he was HIV positive. I remember it hit me quite a bit. I was a big fan of his.

Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamiecballer
01-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Russell still isnt a very good NBA player

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 05:43 PM
I think Russell has become a decent player, but he needs to be extended after this year. LAL doesn't need any part of that.

Saddletramp
01-22-2019, 05:46 PM
*& NOT "protecting" himself. :p

Yeah, most of these guys probably cheat.....the mistake was cheating with an HIV girl. Then again, donít cheat, donít get HIV.

TrueFan420
01-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Yeah, most of these guys probably cheat.....the mistake was cheating with an HIV girl. Then again, donít cheat, donít get HIV.

Yea itís fairly simple... keep your pen15 in your pants and you wonít catch nothing (unless your wife or husband is cheating then youíre still screwed) but at least it wasnít your fault.

More-Than-Most
01-22-2019, 08:31 PM
This and drafting ball 2nd yes... Russ is amazing.

More-Than-Most
01-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Someone else who thinks 3 point shooting is the only thing that matters it seems... How many free throws has lonzo taken?????? Lonzo may very well practice his 3 point shooting but he refuses to drive in fear of going to the free throw line because of how bad he is there so dont give us thta he practices but ben doesnt stuff in game.. Ben is a bad free throw shooter as well but with the game on the line in the 4th he drives and keeps the ball and lets them intentionally foul him to shoot free throws in big game situations.

Storch
01-22-2019, 08:54 PM
DLo would not have been paid the amount of money the Nets are about to give him in a Lakers jersey. Was it a mistake to trade him for salary relief to sign lebron? Absolutely not.

Storch
01-22-2019, 08:56 PM
The real debate in terms of Lonzo Ball is drafting him over Fox. Time will tell, and honestly, I dont know the answer. Both seem like good players at this time and it will be fun to see them reach their peaks. Whos will be higher? Im thrilled to find out.

Storch
01-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Ingram, oh boy. I have not been a fan of his since draft day. However, he was the clear cut #2 ranked kid that year. The Lakers can regret their pick but there really was nothing else they could do. Damned if they pick him and he sucks and theyre damned if they do not pick him if heís good.

He is horrid at ball handling. He is turnover prone and looking like he has low bball iq. He should adapt a scottie pippen role to lebron. Play hard defense and let the offense naturally come to him instead of FORCING it all the time.

jaydubb
01-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Dangelo is not having an all star year... lmao.. Heís not even the best guard in his team. Heís the 3rd best guard on his team behind dinwindie and caris levert, luckily for Russell, injuries have pushed Russell into a leading role on that team right in time for him to get extremely over paid. Heís also still absolutely terrible on defense too, the coach literally takes him out at the end of games when they are on defense. Heís a huge liability on defense and his offense really isnít anything special but here comes that 100mill+ contract.. Lol

jaydubb
01-22-2019, 10:05 PM
DLo would not have been paid the amount of money the Nets are about to give him in a Lakers jersey. Was it a mistake to trade him for salary relief to sign lebron? Absolutely not.

The real debate in terms of Lonzo Ball is drafting him over Fox. Time will tell, and honestly, I dont know the answer. Both seem like good players at this time and it will be fun to see them reach their peaks. Whos will be higher? Im thrilled to find out.

Agreed with these

kobe4thewinbang
01-23-2019, 12:25 AM
D'Lo will always be missed by me, but let's be clear here.

Kuzma >>>>>> Russell

Sometimes, D'Lo will be running off screens, launching 3s at a good clip, dishing the rock. Other nights, he'll go 3-12, 1-8 from 3PT range, with two assists. Dinwiddie has D'Lo's future cloudy right now, despite reports that they're meshing together on the court. I hope someone gives D'Lo a chance, but there's a reason he didn't get an extension before Dinwiddie did. D'Lo is very streaky, and some reports say he doesn't "love" the game. That's fine, not all players do. But it's hard to have a guy like that playing with a dude like LeBron.

Now, Randle...I would say that is Magic's biggest "oops" moment so far. I would go Randle > Ingram and regret not being able to see Randle and LeBron play together.

Took a look at D'Lo this year...he's having a nice year for sure. More assists per game, more points, less turnovers, more minutes, higher %s on threes and overall on more shot attempts, more steals, less fouls.

Looking at Lonzo's increased aggressiveness and scoring, triple doubles, high assists, despite the injury, I still take him and definitely look at Kuzma and go wow often over Russell. But glad he's coming around.

WaDe03
01-23-2019, 12:33 AM
Laker fans lol

Storch
01-23-2019, 12:38 AM
Laker fans lol

The real question is, what are you thankful for?

Scoots
01-23-2019, 12:58 AM
The real question is, what are you thankful for?

The multi-billion dollar medical industry that took time out of working to cure baldness and limp dicks to make HIV meds to keep Magic alive all this time.

Bostonjorge
01-23-2019, 01:02 AM
Jarrett Allen is Brooklyn's best player

FlashBolt
01-23-2019, 01:17 AM

Lol, have you watched Ingram play? The trajectory means nothing. Ingram has had nearly 15 games since LeBron's absence to step up and we've yet to seen it. At some point, we have to acknowledge the possibility that younger players sometimes don't end up fulfilling the hype.

Scoots
01-23-2019, 01:36 AM
Lol, have you watched Ingram play? The trajectory means nothing. Ingram has had nearly 15 games since LeBron's absence to step up and we've yet to seen it. At some point, we have to acknowledge the possibility that younger players sometimes don't end up fulfilling the hype.

The problem is that he has plays and stretches where he flashes his potential. The same things Wiggins did to get his gigantic contract. Ingram is a tease.

GiantsSwaGG
01-23-2019, 03:35 AM
Russell is having a decent season with a couple of 40 pts games. Letís relax lol

More-Than-Most
01-23-2019, 04:03 AM
D'Lo will always be missed by me, but let's be clear here.

Kuzma >>>>>> Russell

Sometimes, D'Lo will be running off screens, launching 3s at a good clip, dishing the rock. Other nights, he'll go 3-12, 1-8 from 3PT range, with two assists. Dinwiddie has D'Lo's future cloudy right now, despite reports that they're meshing together on the court. I hope someone gives D'Lo a chance, but there's a reason he didn't get an extension before Dinwiddie did. D'Lo is very streaky, and some reports say he doesn't "love" the game. That's fine, not all players do. But it's hard to have a guy like that playing with a dude like LeBron.

Now, Randle...I would say that is Magic's biggest "oops" moment so far. I would go Randle > Ingram and regret not being able to see Randle and LeBron play together.

Took a look at D'Lo this year...he's having a nice year for sure. More assists per game, more points, less turnovers, more minutes, higher %s on threes and overall on more shot attempts, more steals, less fouls.

Looking at Lonzo's increased aggressiveness and scoring, triple doubles, high assists, despite the injury, I still take him and definitely look at Kuzma and go wow often over Russell. But glad he's coming around.

The only thing kuzma has on DLO this season is the fact DLO has played more seasons... Everywhere else DLO is legit better than kuzma right now.. He shoots a slightly worse pct but is a better 3 point shooter while getting way more assists per game while both are defensively bad... Stop Hyping up Kuzma because anything that laker fans can say about Kuzma this year you can say about DLO but add more assists/better 3 point shooter.

kobebabe
01-23-2019, 04:03 AM
When you evaluate DLo youíve to put into consideration heís been in the league 3 years now and is on contract year. This is the year we can actually say he can play but he still remains very streaky. Ball will come to his own also with time. He will never be the shooter DLo is but DLo will never be the defender that Ball is. I also like Ballís passing better than DLo.
DLo would have been traded regardless. It was just a matter of when. Lakers were never gonna give him a hefty contract he would be looking for.
Itís also important to remember we got Kuzma due to the DLo trade. Kuzma is way better than Russell. We also got LBJ from the same trade. So how can trading DLo be the worst thing magic have done?

As far as BI I will say Magic had no other better options. He took the best player available. Whether that works out or not will be determined by time.

More-Than-Most
01-23-2019, 04:05 AM
When you evaluate DLo youíve to put into consideration heís been in the league 3 years now and is on contract year. This is the year we can actually say he can play but he still remains very streaky. Ball will come to his own also with time. He will never be the shooter DLo is but DLo will never be the defender that Ball is. I also like Ballís passing better than DLo.
DLo would have been traded regardless. It was just a matter of when. Lakers were never gonna give him a hefty contract he would be looking for.
Itís also important to remember we got Kuzma due to the DLo trade. Kuzma is way better than Russell. We also got LBJ from the same trade. So how can trading DLo be the worst thing magic have done?

As far as BI I will say Magic had no other better options. He took the best player available. Whether that works out or not will be determined by time.

i love people that just say things without anything to back it up.. tell me how kuzma is better than russ this year? They are both bad defenders... Kuz shoots a better FG pct but is a far worse 3 point shooter while DLO tosses out more assists by a good bit and doesnt have the benefit of the team the lakers have around kuzma.

ewing
01-23-2019, 06:13 AM
Jarrett Allen is Brooklyn's best player

No LeVert Is

Hawkeye15
01-23-2019, 11:19 AM

I imagine DLo's cap hold would have put you out of contention for a max deal this summer?

Hawkeye15
01-23-2019, 11:20 AM

no doubt, but young guys also need a consistent scenario to grow many times. I refuse to believe he will be Wiggins bad is all.

Hawkeye15
01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
The problem is that he has plays and stretches where he flashes his potential. The same things Wiggins did to get his gigantic contract. Ingram is a tease.

Wiggins never showed **** after year 1.5. Ever. The fact that Taylor gave him a max deal shows why the Wolves have been a laughingstock for the most part over their tenure in the NBA.