Who you got?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
01-21-2019, 09:34 PM
Before he was injured Covington.

Right now Gobert.

JAZZNC
01-21-2019, 09:51 PM
Gobert. For the last month the Jazz D has been phenomenal and hes been killing it. Took the team a little while to figure out and adjust to the new rules but hes the engine that makes our D go. He just changes and alters soooooo many shots. He also cleans the glass at a very high level.

Scoots
01-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Gobert. For the last month the Jazz D has been phenomenal and hes been killing it. Took the team a little while to figure out and adjust to the new rules but hes the engine that makes our D go. He just changes and alters soooooo many shots. He also cleans the glass at a very high level.

He'd be my pick at the moment. This is a tough year for DPOY.

Tg11
01-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Also case could be made for Jarrett Allen of the Nets

ewing
01-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Its Rudy every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal827
01-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Paul George or James Harden

IndyRealist
01-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Honestly haven't been payjng much attention, pretty much assumed it was Gobert.

From BBR, #3 in def rebounds, #3 blocks, #3 def rating, #1 def win shares, #1 def bpm.

IndyRealist
01-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Again glancing over stats, Giannis might have an outside chance?

Tg11
01-22-2019, 10:04 AM
How about Andre Drummond of the Pistons?

Hawkeye15
01-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Giannis for me, but since he will garner plenty of MVP votes, he will likely not be considered. Gobert will win it.

Rivera
01-22-2019, 01:13 PM
3 person race for me

Gobert
PG13
Giannis

personally, for me Gobert

but if PG continues his impressive pace, I could see voters not wanting to give Gobert back 2 back DPOY and give it to PG13 this year

Jamiecballer
01-22-2019, 05:48 PM
George

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Rivera
01-22-2019, 06:37 PM
https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2019/0118/paulgeorge.png

aman_13
01-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Remember when some thought PG was declining defensively? I think defensive stats are flawed in general but he looks great on that end. What a yr he's having.

aman_13
01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Also, I thought Kawhi would rank higher, he's been so good on the defensive end.

JAZZNC
01-23-2019, 11:29 AM
3 person race for me

Gobert
PG13
Giannis

personally, for me Gobert

but if PG continues his impressive pace, I could see voters not wanting to give Gobert back 2 back DPOY and give it to PG13 this year

Not wanting to give it to the same player back to back has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons to not give it to someone. Not saying that's your own reasoning but if that's why voters go for somebody else they need to have their voting power stripped.

Rivera
01-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Not wanting to give it to the same player back to back has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons to not give it to someone. Not saying that's your own reasoning but if that's why voters go for somebody else they need to have their voting power stripped.

for sure. you know how voting politics work.

the thing PG13 has over Gobert is the narrative angle (I know again nothing about basketball)

The Media loves good stories. I really think PG 13 might win it from the voters for various reasons.

i would pick gobert today, but im not confident the voters see the same, but there is a few months left in the season

IndyRealist
01-23-2019, 12:01 PM
for sure. you know how voting politics work.

the thing PG13 has over Gobert is the narrative angle (I know again nothing about basketball)

The Media loves good stories. I really think PG 13 might win it from the voters for various reasons.

i would pick gobert today, but im not confident the voters see the same, but there is a few months left in the season
This. Having the media vote on awards is a conflict of interest. They have no incentive to get it right, and every incentive to push a narrative. Sports writers aren't journalists, at least not the talking heads on ESPN. They're propaganda mouthpieces.

TheDish87
01-23-2019, 12:09 PM
gotta be one of Gobert, George, Embiid with the later 2 also in the MVP running

ZH721
01-23-2019, 03:12 PM
Also, I thought Kawhi would rank higher, he's been so good on the defensive end.

He has a negative DRPM. The godly stat which we judge every player by.

ZH721
01-23-2019, 03:16 PM
gotta be one of Gobert, George, Embiid with the later 2 also in the MVP running

Embiid is 22nd among CENTERS in DRPM. No shot.

In all seriousness, Embiid isnít in the MVP running unless you consider ďin the runningĒ having no actual shot but having a great season.

TheDish87
01-24-2019, 10:40 AM
i really dont care about whatever DPRM is. pretty sure thats not how the voting works. He is absolutely in the discussion for both. Doesnt mean he will win or even should.

Rivera
01-24-2019, 10:44 AM
whats the definition of "in the discussion"?

Scoots
01-24-2019, 11:27 AM
This. Having the media vote on awards is a conflict of interest. They have no incentive to get it right, and every incentive to push a narrative. Sports writers aren't journalists, at least not the talking heads on ESPN. They're propaganda mouthpieces.

True for MVP as well

TheDish87
01-24-2019, 11:52 AM
whats the definition of "in the discussion"?

receives votes

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Its Rudy every year

rudy gay hasn't been relevant in awhile.

Rivera
01-24-2019, 12:18 PM
receives votes

okay, just to make sure i understand your position, using last year as a reference

Joel Embiid finished 12th in MVP voting getting 4 votes and all 4 votes was ranking him in 5th place

There was 101 voters last season

you would consider that in the discussion?

ewing
01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
rudy gay hasn't been relevant in awhile.

My bad bro

TheDish87
01-24-2019, 01:16 PM
okay, just to make sure i understand your position, using last year as a reference

Joel Embiid finished 12th in MVP voting getting 4 votes and all 4 votes was ranking him in 5th place

There was 101 voters last season

you would consider that in the discussion?

yea, sure. He would have gotten a little more if he didnt go down the last 20 games too. but are we just gonna ignore that he has a stronger, much more realistic case this season though?

Rivera
01-24-2019, 01:28 PM
yea, sure. He would have gotten a little more if he didnt go down the last 20 games too. but are we just gonna ignore that he has a stronger, much more realistic case this season though?

maybe? i mean he has had a better year than last year but I dont see him as a top 5 MVP candidate

me personally, my personal definition, if your not in the top 5, you're not in the discussion

i dont have him in my top 5 MVP race or top 5 in the DPOY race

TheDish87
01-24-2019, 02:24 PM
i dont see how hes not in the top 5 in MVP right now. its pretty open after Harden and Giannis.

Rivera
01-24-2019, 02:40 PM
me personally

harden
giannis
LBJ
Steph Curry
Kawhi

thats my 5

after that theres a cluster between

Jokic/Embiid/PG13/

ZH721
01-25-2019, 03:36 PM
i really dont care about whatever DPRM is. pretty sure thats not how the voting works. He is absolutely in the discussion for both. Doesnt mean he will win or even should.

No he isnít haha.

Even if all the guys in front of him had season ending injuries he probably still wouldnít get it due to how far we are into the season.

TheDish87
01-25-2019, 04:57 PM
when they start giving out an award for DPRM we can talk about it.

Rivera
01-25-2019, 06:17 PM

to be fair the leader in DPRM Last year was Gobert. He won DPOY

Year before that, Draymond was 2nd in DPRM and won DPOY

the stat has only been around 5 years and the last 2 years you could say, DPRM has had an influence in DPOY

ZH721
01-25-2019, 11:35 PM

The DRPM thing was a joke. I think that stat is incredibly flawed.

My point is Embiid isnít ďin the conversationĒ for MVP, unless ďin the conversationĒ means he might get a 5th place vote.

JAZZNC
01-26-2019, 12:32 AM
I know nobody watches the Jazz but if you do watch you see the impact he has the entire time he's in the game. He alters so many shots even when he literally does nothing but be close. He doesn't even have to jump or put his arms up to alter shots. Just like SPG is a terrible way to evaluate D BPG is as well. He may not lead the league in that stat but he changes a ridiculous amount of shots.

Scoots
01-26-2019, 12:38 AM
me personally

harden
giannis
LBJ
Steph Curry
Kawhi

thats my 5

after that theres a cluster between

Jokic/Embiid/PG13/

I have to assume you posted this in the wrong thread.

ewing
01-26-2019, 08:20 AM
I know nobody watches the Jazz but if you do watch you see the impact he has the entire time he's in the game. He alters so many shots even when he literally does nothing but be close. He doesn't even have to jump or put his arms up to alter shots. Just like SPG is a terrible way to evaluate D BPG is as well. He may not lead the league in that stat but he changes a ridiculous amount of shots.

From the basketball Iíve watched Rudy wins this hands down. All your guards and wings stay home when they get beat and just let people take there chances driving at Rudy. Id honestly like to hear the argument for Paul George

Scoots
01-26-2019, 12:57 PM
From the basketball Iíve watched Rudy wins this hands down. All your guards and wings stay home when they get beat and just let people take there chances driving at Rudy. Id honestly like to hear the argument for Paul George

The best in the NBA turn back when Gobert is waiting.

dhopisthename
01-26-2019, 07:52 PM

lol seriously or he was thinking MVP i guess. LBJ shouldn't be 3rd on that list either.

ewing
01-26-2019, 08:17 PM
The best in the NBA turn back when Gobert is waiting.

It true. I remember watching the Thunder series last year and even Russell would beat his man, see Rudy waiting and stop in his tracks. He turns drivers into mid range shooters and takes away the drive and kick option as well bc everyone else stays home and just lets Rudy defend the lane. To me itís not close. Heís just has a bigger impact then any wing could in my opinion

Scoots
01-26-2019, 11:03 PM
It true. I remember watching the Thunder series last year and even Russell would beat his man, see Rudy waiting and stop in his tracks. He turns drivers into mid range shooters and takes away the drive and kick option as well bc everyone else stays home and just lets Rudy defend the lane. To me itís not close. Heís just has a bigger impact then any wing could in my opinion

Which is why bigs usually win the award.

ewing
01-26-2019, 11:13 PM
Which is why bigs usually win the award.

Itís true but it dying. With the way the game is played today a lot of those type players canít stay on the floor.

JAZZNC
01-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Itís true but it dying. With the way the game is played today a lot of those type players canít stay on the floor.

But the bigs are evolving. Rudy had to become a passable free throw shooter and hes athletic enough to not get blown by on the perimeter on a switch by just anybody. He also is as good of a screener as there is and finishes well on the roll.

Scoots
01-27-2019, 12:30 PM
But the bigs are evolving. Rudy had to become a passable free throw shooter and hes athletic enough to not get blown by on the perimeter on a switch by just anybody. He also is as good of a screener as there is and finishes well on the roll.

The screen setting is a vastly under-rated skill.

But there are still a limited number of 7' tall people, and literally all of them (*) used to be nearly good enough to play in the NBA, that is no longer true.

* According to US census data, on average there are around 70 men 7' tall or taller under the age of 40 in the US. So if every NBA team wants 2 that's 60 or the 70 :)

ewing
01-27-2019, 02:53 PM

Rudy is the man

basch152
01-27-2019, 03:50 PM

I thought he was being ironic at first but then I realized only two of those players arent considered good defenders

zn23
01-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Paul George has a case, but Rudy is still very much the best defensive player in the league.

Sanjay
01-27-2019, 07:50 PM
The screen setting is a vastly under-rated skill.

But there are still a limited number of 7' tall people, and literally all of them (*) used to be nearly good enough to play in the NBA, that is no longer true.

* According to US census data, on average there are around 70 men 7' tall or taller under the age of 40 in the US. So if every NBA team wants 2 that's 60 or the 70 :)

Just because you are seven foot; does not make you good at basketball though?

Scoots
01-27-2019, 09:19 PM

That's true, but height is a very limited commodity. Mark Eaton had an all-star 10 year NBA career that started when he was 26, he was supposedly found working as a mechanic under a scouts car. He was 7'4", that's literally all he had. I had a 7'1" friend and he was constantly being pestered to play ball but he hated it so he refused. If we go back a while there are Shawn Bradley, Gheorghe Muresan who made the NBA by being tall more than anything else. If you look at more recent drafts players who are 7'+ are drafted WAY higher than their skill level on a regular basis: Dragen Bender, Georgios Papagiannis, Thon Maker were top 15 picks in 2016 alone. Yeah, height is still a MAJOR target by NBA teams.

IndyRealist
01-27-2019, 10:32 PM

If you are 7ft+ and can get up and down the court without tripping over yourself, gassing out, or breaking a bone, you're essentially NBA caliber, at least 15th man or backup center. If nothing else your starters need 7fters to practice against.

Sanjay
01-27-2019, 11:14 PM
That's true, but height is a very limited commodity. Mark Eaton had an all-star 10 year NBA career that started when he was 26, he was supposedly found working as a mechanic under a scouts car. He was 7'4", that's literally all he had. I had a 7'1" friend and he was constantly being pestered to play ball but he hated it so he refused. If we go back a while there are Shawn Bradley, Gheorghe Muresan who made the NBA by being tall more than anything else. If you look at more recent drafts players who are 7'+ are drafted WAY higher than their skill level on a regular basis: Dragen Bender, Georgios Papagiannis, Thon Maker were top 15 picks in 2016 alone. Yeah, height is still a MAJOR target by NBA teams.

Good point, I guess when you get up to 7'2+ that is a significant advantage over other players where you can effectively drop the ball in the hoop and protect the rim by just putting your hands up. Although, it is interesting that Oregon center Bol Bol is the only prospect expected to be drafted this year who is 7ft+.

Scoots
01-27-2019, 11:54 PM
Good point, I guess when you get up to 7'2+ that is a significant advantage over other players where you can effectively drop the ball in the hoop and protect the rim by just putting your hands up. Although, it is interesting that Oregon center Bol Bol is the only prospect expected to be drafted this year who is 7ft+.

True, but show ANY reasonable level of coordination and you'll have a reasonable shot at the NBA even with the changing game.

JAZZNC
01-28-2019, 09:32 AM
True, but show ANY reasonable level of coordination and you'll have a reasonable shot at the NBA even with the changing game.
If you're a 7fter who can simply run up and down the court, box out, and put your hands up you can play in the NBA. The only ones who can't make it are the ones who are slow as hell. The Mark Easton types ain't gonna cut it anymore. But if you can just simply move around well at that height you dont have to have any real skill. It's why guys like Shaq, Duncan, Ewing, Dream, Admiral, Yao, Embiid, Jokic, Dirk, KG, etc are unstoppable most nights because they combined that height with skill. You can't teach big as hell!

Scoots
01-30-2019, 04:13 PM
https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2019/0118/paulgeorge.png

What does this have to do with defense?

Rivera
01-30-2019, 04:24 PM
What does this have to do with defense?

that is the shooting percentages players have when being guarded by Paul George in those specific locations

Rivera
01-30-2019, 04:26 PM

no i posted in the right thread. I was specifically talking to thedish as myself and thedish convo evolved into both DPOY and MVP. I wanted clarification on his defitintion of in the conversation which is a defferent definition than mine. Then he said that Embiid is a top 5 mvp candidate this season. I could see why, but me personally I didnt have him in my top 5 for MVP and listed who for thedish

but it was the right thread :)

valade16
01-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Spot on. If I were 7'1" with my skills, I'd probably be in the NBA. A lot of people would.

Scoots
01-30-2019, 05:40 PM
that is the shooting percentages players have when being guarded by Paul George in those specific locations

I think that must be incorrect. Blue is bad, red is good. You're saying 29% from one wing is bad defense while 50% from the other is good defense?

Rivera
01-30-2019, 05:47 PM
I think that must be incorrect. Blue is bad, red is good. You're saying 29% from one wing is bad defense while 50% from the other is good defense?

oh wow :facepalm: i actually just pulled up the article titled "Paul George is the most disruptive force in the NBA" and the majority of the arctile was about PGs defense. And I must have skimmed around the middle because I wanted to verify my posts, and your right. They just switched to offense in the last paragraph when the majority was about his defense #Failboat :laugh2:

Heres a note on PGs defense

Despite handling many of the toughest defensive assignments in the league, George's individual numbers remain impressive. Of the 45 players who have defended at least 500 shots this season, George ranks eighth in the league by holding shooters to 0.98 points per shot. The seven dudes in front of him are all big men, meaning George is arguably the most effective shot-defending wing in the NBA.

Scoots
01-30-2019, 06:20 PM
oh wow :facepalm: i actually just pulled up the article titled "Paul George is the most disruptive force in the NBA" and the majority of the arctile was about PGs defense. And I must have skimmed around the middle because I wanted to verify my posts, and your right. They just switched to offense in the last paragraph when the majority was about his defense #Failboat :laugh2:

Despite handling many of the toughest defensive assignments in the league, George's individual numbers remain impressive. Of the 45 players who have defended at least 500 shots this season, George ranks eighth in the league by holding shooters to 0.98 points per shot. The seven dudes in front of him are all big men, meaning George is arguably the most effective shot-defending wing in the NBA.

:)

Defensive stats suck (Kawhi's were terrible his last year in San Antonio), but nobody is saying PG is a bad defender ... the question is whether he is the best in the NBA overall. I don't think teams are scheming for PGs defense while they are to avoid Rudy, and they did for Green and Kawhi the years they won it.

Rivera
01-30-2019, 06:28 PM
:)

Defensive stats suck (Kawhi's were terrible his last year in San Antonio), but nobody is saying PG is a bad defender ... the question is whether he is the best in the NBA overall. I don't think teams are scheming for PGs defense while they are to avoid Rudy, and they did for Green and Kawhi the years they won it.

thats why I had PG at 2, if I remember, I had Gobert/PG/Giannis in that order

i could make an argument that PG is a more valuable defender than Gobert on the simple fact that todays game is more perimeter oriented. Gobert is awesome and contest a bunch of shots by the rim. Dude is a force and has a knack at changing shots by the rim even if he doesnt block them.

With the skills of todays nba players, its a huge luxury if you have a defender as great as PG on the perimeter to try and slow one these skilled perimiter players down. With the rise of the 3 point shot, I could see PG winning.

Both are having a fantastic season, and if PG wins, I wouldnt throw a flag on it at all.

IndyRealist
01-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Points per shot is a terrible metric. Just saying.

ewing
01-30-2019, 10:12 PM
thats why I had PG at 2, if I remember, I had Gobert/PG/Giannis in that order

i could make an argument that PG is a more valuable defender than Gobert on the simple fact that todays game is more perimeter oriented. Gobert is awesome and contest a bunch of shots by the rim. Dude is a force and has a knack at changing shots by the rim even if he doesnt block them.

With the skills of todays nba players, its a huge luxury if you have a defender as great as PG on the perimeter to try and slow one these skilled perimiter players down. With the rise of the 3 point shot, I could see PG winning.

Both are having a fantastic season, and if PG wins, I wouldnt throw a flag on it at all.

I donít think that is a good argument or true. Rudy ability to defend the rim allows Utahís perimeter defenders to stay home instead of collapsing when someone gets beat so he makes your perimeter defense better. PG is good defender but with amount of switching that NBA teams do today you canít just put him on a guy say go shut him down. PG is a very good cog in a system. Rudy is a system

Scoots
01-30-2019, 11:28 PM
I donít think that is a good argument or true. Rudy ability to defend the rim allows Utahís perimeter defenders to stay home instead of collapsing when someone gets beat so he makes your perimeter defense better. PG is good defender but with amount of switching that NBA teams do today you canít just put him on a guy say go shut him down. PG is a very good cog in a system. Rudy is a system

Well said. For a non-center to win they have to be exceptionally dominant for their position.

ewing
01-31-2019, 10:28 AM
Well said. For a non-center to win they have to be exceptionally dominant for their position.

I think this is becoming less true but Rudy is the big exception. Most guys that can defend the paint by themselves get destroyed elsewhere. Rudy is the one guy in the league that i think can make pretty much any group reasonable defensively. Joel is good too. Versatility defensively is also becoming more valuable b/c of all the switching. Often it is preferable to have a guy that can defend 4 positions reasonably then a guy that can defend two at an elite level. All this makes it harder and harder to pin point who is having the biggest defensive impact IMO. Fortunately will still have Rudy who just dominates on that end like the bigs of my youth

Rivera
01-31-2019, 10:32 AM

I can totally see that argument 100%. well said bro.

The only thing I can argue is you say "PG is a very good cog in a system". I'd argue, we have seen many flashes of PG13 as a top level perimiter defender throughout his career. And this year he really seemed to put everything together on both ends of the floor having the best season of his career. I think PG deserves credit (not brownie points for DPOY) for improving. I would say he is a big part and maybe even "the system" of the OKC with OKC putting him on teams best offensive players

I really think PG has a real shot this year for sure. hes got a lot going for him. Best perimeter defender, the way how todays game, his name value to voters in the media, his comeback story with his injury, his story of staying with OKC instead of leaving to help form a super team. PG13 for sure in my mind (and its really not that close) has the narrative edge of PG13.

With media voting on it, i hate to say it, but narrative is part of the selection even though it has 0 to do with his defense. Its not fair to Rudy but it does play a role. We will see how much for sure it plays a role as this season continues

Scoots
01-31-2019, 01:09 PM
I think this is becoming less true but Rudy is the big exception. Most guys that can defend the paint by themselves get destroyed elsewhere. Rudy is the one guy in the league that i think can make pretty much any group reasonable defensively. Joel is good too. Versatility defensively is also becoming more valuable b/c of all the switching. Often it is preferable to have a guy that can defend 4 positions reasonably then a guy that can defend two at an elite level. All this makes it harder and harder to pin point who is having the biggest defensive impact IMO. Fortunately will still have Rudy who just dominates on that end like the bigs of my youth

And even Rudy can be taken out of a game by an opposing system. The Warriors were forcing Rudy to be by himself on a wing and out of his comfort zone and away from the basket. But most teams don't have the ability to do that sort of thing and be successful at it, they want to score inside as much as possible and Rudy just makes that incredibly hard if he's there. Of course the defensive hawk wings on the Jazz also make Rudy's job easier just as he makes their job easier.

The Jazz are one of the top defensive teams in the league because of their system and their system starts and ends with Rudy. None of the other candidates are as integral to their team's defense. It's got to be Rudy this year.