PDA

View Full Version : Lonzo Ball

Tg11
01-19-2019, 09:46 AM
With Lonzo pulling out performances like he did against the Thunder...should the Lakers still keep Big Baller Zo? Or trade Lonzo? Lonzo's problem is that he is not aggressive but if he basically becomes more aggressive not just on the defensive end but also on the offensive end then could Lonzo become a future star in this league? Lonzo is a gifted passer take nothing away but he has gotten better at shooting but if he works on his shot more and becomes more assertive, the Lakers could have something

Tg11
01-19-2019, 11:43 AM
I say the Lakers should keep Lonzo but if they are in Win Now mode then Lonzo is gonna get traded and if that happens it may be for the best

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-19-2019, 12:02 PM
He's not going anywhere.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Not much of a PG market. Other then Suns and Magic. Maybe Mavs if they trade SmithJR. SmithJR for Ball? Mavs would have to toss in another salary to make it work.

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Not much of a PG market. Other then Suns and Magic. Maybe Mavs if they trade SmithJR. SmithJR for Ball? Mavs would have to toss in another salary to make it work.

That doesn't quite make any sense for the Lakers. Ball is a better player than Smith because he can do other things. The reason Mavs are giving up on DSJ has a lot to do with the fact that DSJ needs the ball to be productive and with Doncic's rise, it's starting to make little sense to have DSJ have that many possessions. If I am the Lakers, Lonzo isn't the problem at all. People will complain about his shooting but don't notice how the guy plays great defense, knows when to give up the ball, and is an above average rebounder/high level passer. The problem with the Lakers is they're missing LeBron James, aren't shooting the ball well, and their FT shooting is embarrassing. When Warriors were without Curry, they were 5-6. Lakers are 5-7 without LeBron, right? With LeBron, I think they end up going 9-3 the past 12 games and no one would be saying how bad the Lakers are. Losing the best player in the league on any team will always end up hurting the team. There's just no way around it. And Rondo lowkey has been such a good player for the Lakers that people forget he's been out for over 30 games.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Don't forget the old history of Mavs trading PG's away. Which later on turn out pretty decent as in Nash and Kidd.

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Don't forget the old history of Mavs trading PG's away. Which later on turn out pretty decent as in Nash and Kidd.

DSJ plays PG but he's got more of a two-guard game in him. It's the same stuff with some of these other guys such as Kyrie.

Tg11
01-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Lonzo if he is traded then perfect landing spots for Lonzo:

Pelicans, Suns, Magic, Knicks, Bulls or Hawks

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Lonzo if he is traded then perfect landing spots for Lonzo:

Pelicans, Suns, Magic, Knicks, Bulls or Hawks

Pelicans need to be buyers if they wanna cling to playoff hunt. Since AD may miss 1 or 2 weeks with finger injury.

Tg11
01-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Pelicans need to be buyers if they wanna cling to playoff hunt. Since AD may miss 1 or 2 weeks with finger injury.

Pelicans could go after Ball but if you include Ingram and a 3rd player then AD to the Lakers is almost a foregone conclusion

GREATNESS ONE
01-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Lonzo will be one of the best 2way guards in the league soon enough. You can tell Lebron loves him and has taken him under his wing, even Rondo loves to teach the kid, nothing better as a master of your craft having a hungry, no ego, willing to learn student.

I know his dad created a bullseye on him but the kid is so down to earth and humble kid, I don’t know how you can’t root for this kid to succeed.

Tg11
01-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Lonzo is good at defense but on offense he needs to be more aggressive from here on out. If he can do that but also develop that leadership quality more then he can go far.

Scoots
01-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Pelicans could go after Ball but if you include Ingram and a 3rd player then AD to the Lakers is almost a foregone conclusion

Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma is not enough to get AD.

Tg11
01-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Lonzo if he stays in LA then great but if he ends up being traded he could wind up being better you never know

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 06:27 PM
great defender who has a good offensive game once every 8 games... Driving and trying to score could fix a ton of things but he is scared to shoot FTs so refuses to drive... He is offensively really terrible. If you can get Beal/AD or another star at the deadline you offer him up with a smile on your face and hope the lakers kids stock hasnt taken a severe hit with how they have played

Tg11
01-19-2019, 07:19 PM
great defender who has a good offensive game once every 8 games... Driving and trying to score could fix a ton of things but he is scared to shoot FTs so refuses to drive... He is offensively really terrible. If you can get Beal/AD or another star at the deadline you offer him up with a smile on your face and hope the lakers kids stock hasnt taken a severe hit with how they have played

Lonzo could really benefit from playing on a team like the Suns, Cavs or Hawks

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Lonzo could really benefit from playing on a team like the Suns, Cavs or Hawks

its weird really... he shouldnt be this bad at shooting free throws and he def shouldnt be this scared to take them... he constantly has a lane to drive but just refuses.. I am not sure that will change anywhere... he needs to fix that and if he does he could easily be a 16ppg player... him driving will also open a ton of things up for the lakers.

Tg11
01-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Does Lonzo have Nash or Kidd type potential? Yeah he does but if only if he becomes more aggressive

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Does Lonzo have Nash or Kidd type potential? Yeah he does but if only if he becomes more aggressive

He will never be a shooter like Nash but his defense is already better than Nash ever was... He will need to become a better shooter like Kidd did but I doubt he will ever be as good as either of those guys.

Tg11
01-19-2019, 07:32 PM
He will never be a shooter like Nash but his defense is already better than Nash ever was... He will need to become a better shooter like Kidd did but I doubt he will ever be as good as either of those guys.

Maybe he could but if and only if he keeps up with being aggressive offensively and on the defensive glass too

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 07:44 PM
its weird really... he shouldnt be this bad at shooting free throws and he def shouldnt be this scared to take them... he constantly has a lane to drive but just refuses.. I am not sure that will change anywhere... he needs to fix that and if he does he could easily be a 16ppg player... him driving will also open a ton of things up for the lakers.

His FT% isn't as huge of a problem as you are making it out to be. The past five games, he's only shot 2 free throws. He's averaging 1 FT per game. The plausible issue is he seems more hesistant in getting contact so he doesn't shoot FT's but I feel like some of you are freaking out irrationally. Lonzo rarely has the ball enough in his possession to get fouled. It's why I defend the guy so much. Low possessions and does his job elsewhere.

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 08:27 PM
The more talent the Lakers acquire in the next couple of years, the better Ball will look. I don't think he's going to ever be the top dog on a good team, but as the 3rd or 4th best player he could be integral in the same way Rondo was in Boston. He has all the tools to complement a couple of all-stars.

ewing
01-19-2019, 08:29 PM
The more talent the Lakers acquire in the next couple of years, the better Ball will look. I don't think he's going to ever be the top dog on a good team, but as the 3rd or 4th best player he could be integral in the same way Rondo was in Boston. He has all the tools to complement a couple of all-stars.

Rondo is a Hof point guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 08:31 PM

app so is Lonzo the day he got drafted lol

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 08:32 PM

If Rondo is a HoF point guard, it is based on being on a team with a bunch of HoFers. No team ever went anywhere with Rondo as their best player. He has a complimentary skill set, so does Ball.

ewing
01-19-2019, 08:35 PM
app so is Lonzo the gay he got drafted lol

I still like Lonzo. He is big, defends, creates pace, and has a good floor feel/know how play at different paces in he half court. I just think it pretty disrespectful to Rondo to say if he doesn’t develop more he could be a good “complimentary” player like Rondo.

ewing
01-19-2019, 08:39 PM
If Rondo is a HoF point guard, it is based on being on a team with a bunch of HoFers. No team ever went anywhere with Rondo as their best player. He has a complimentary skill set, so does Ball.

He is the craftiest floor general and best passing point guard of a generation. He was the best player on the floor for the Celtics in a lot of big games. He is a HOF point guard bc he was really good

ewing
01-19-2019, 08:42 PM
When and why did trashing Rondo become a cool thing for the “I’m the smartest guy in the room” crowd? No offense

Quinnsanity
01-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Lonzo's issue is that he isn't the same player night to night. And that's okay. Most second-year point guards aren't. It's unrealistic to expect him to put up 20-10-7 with great defense every night. The fact that he does it every now and then is encouraging. He may never be a superstar. But he is a damn valuable role player who is going to help his team win a lot of games as he learns to bring it every night and rounds out some of the rougher edges of his game. He needs to attack the basket more consistently. That will open up his three-point shot a bit more consistently and create some nice passing opportunities. His effort on D isn't consistent enough, but he's also coming off of knee surgery, and his body definitely needs a bit more bulk. By year four or five, I think he's going to be a really, really valuable player every night. Maybe not Magic Johnson. But something that any team could use.

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 08:53 PM
He is the craftiest floor general and best passing point guard of a generation. He was the best player on the floor for the Celtics in a lot of big games. He is a HOF point guard bc he was really good

On a team with 3 hall of fame scorers. When Rondo was the undisputed best player on his teams, what did they do? No one's built a team around Rondo for a reason.

He also overlaps Nash for 8 years.

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 08:53 PM
When and why did trashing Rondo become a cool thing for the “I’m the smartest guy in the room” crowd? No offense

fun note and this is something that is overlooked... Rondo is top 5 smartest player in basketball.... he is a ****ing genius on the floor.

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 08:55 PM

Lol k. No one can be knowledgeable and informed on the subject and simply come to a different conclusion than you. It has to be "hate" not just a difference of opinion.

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Lonzo's issue is that he isn't the same player night to night. And that's okay. Most second-year point guards aren't. It's unrealistic to expect him to put up 20-10-7 with great defense every night. The fact that he does it every now and then is encouraging. He may never be a superstar. But he is a damn valuable role player who is going to help his team win a lot of games as he learns to bring it every night and rounds out some of the rougher edges of his game. He needs to attack the basket more consistently. That will open up his three-point shot a bit more consistently and create some nice passing opportunities. His effort on D isn't consistent enough, but he's also coming off of knee surgery, and his body definitely needs a bit more bulk. By year four or five, I think he's going to be a really, really valuable player every night. Maybe not Magic Johnson. But something that any team could use.

the thing is the majority dont give players that time esp on here... Hell Embiid was suppose to be had for 2 2nd rounders because he would never get healthy... DLO is a bust... Ben simmons will never improve even though he is already one of the best players in basketball and fultz should just retire..... I mean everyone knew curry was gonna be a legendary talent after doing nothing special the first few seasons right?

We pick and choose which players deserve years to get better and which dont and its moronic. Lonzo could very will improve and be amazing much like ingram whom people are already calling a bust.

ewing
01-19-2019, 08:59 PM
On a team with 3 hall of fame scorers. When Rondo was the undisputed best player on his teams, what did they do? No one's built a team around Rondo for a reason.

He was drafted by the Celtics and played his entire prime there. Should they have gotten worse players on purpose so Rondo could be the man instead of one of the stars on the team? Maybe his play making also helped there scoring and allowed them to play to there strengths instead of having to make plays for others. It’s crazy how “complementary” works in team sports

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 09:00 PM
He was drafted by the Celtics and played his entire prime there. Should they have gotten worse players on purpose so Rondo could be the man instead of one of the stars on the team? Maybe his play making also helped there scoring and allowed them to play to there strengths instead of having to make plays for others. It’s crazy how “complementary” works in team sports

You literally just described a complimentary player.

ewing
01-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Lol k. No one can be knowledgeable and informed on the subject and simply come to a different conclusion than you. It has to be "hate" not just a difference of opinion.

I think you have pretty good takes. Rondo is clearly I guy that it became cool to hate on at some point and I’m curious as to why. It’s seems popular opinion is actually shifting back on him He can’t shoot and that could be a liability but he is a brilliant player that largely overcame it.

ewing
01-19-2019, 09:07 PM
You literally just described a complimentary player.

Then J Kidd was a complimentary player. The Lakers should definitely hold on to this kid. Just put some talent around him and he is in the MVP discussion

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 09:08 PM
I think you have pretty good takes. Rondo is clearly I guy that it became cool to hate on at some point and I’m curious as to why. It’s seems popular opinion is actually shifting back on him He can’t shoot and that could be a liability but he is a brilliant player that largely overcame it.

I mean, I don't hate on Rondo. Your issue with what I said seems to be that you take "complimentary" to be derogatory. How would you describe his skill set then?

ewing
01-19-2019, 09:17 PM
I mean, I don't hate on Rondo. Your issue with what I said seems to be that you take "complimentary" to be derogatory. How would you describe his skill set then?

He’s a brilliant floor general, was an elite defender, and is a generationally talented passer. Every player should be complimentary. What I disagree with is the idea that with different teammates Lonzo would be what Rando was. They both excel in some similar areas but Lonzo is no where close to the player prime Rondo was at this point. Rondo lived in the paint on his prime and could finish. He not only could pass he created passes in a way Lonzo can’t. Maybe one day certainly not now

IndyRealist
01-19-2019, 09:26 PM
He’s a brilliant floor general, was an elite defender, and is a generationally talented passer. Every player should be complimentary. What I disagree with is the idea that with different teammates Lonzo would be what Rando was. They both excel in some similar areas but Lonzo is no where close to the player prime Rondo was at this point.

In the same way. Didn't mean to imply on the same level. Jamal Crawford has a similar skill set to Kyrie Irving, but they're not equals.

ewing
01-19-2019, 09:27 PM
In the same way. Didn't mean to imply on the same level. Jamal Crawford has a similar skill set to Kyrie Irving, but they're not equals.

Ok I think we agree then [emoji3]

Tg11
01-20-2019, 02:36 AM
Then J Kidd was a complimentary player. The Lakers should definitely hold on to this kid. Just put some talent around him and he is in the MVP discussion

I want to see Zo succeed but if only if he is in a system where he can thrive much like Kidd

ewing
01-20-2019, 11:37 AM
I want to see Zo succeed but if only if he is in a system where he can thrive much like Kidd

Kidd was a system

JAZZNC
01-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Kidd was a system

Kids man, you'll have to excuse them. Totally agree man. Kidd was a much better prospect than Lonzo. Kidd was the reason everybody on those Nets teams had the best years of their career playing with him.

ewing
01-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Kids man, you'll have to excuse them. Totally agree man. Kidd was a much better prospect than Lonzo. Kidd was the reason everybody on those Nets teams had the best years of their career playing with him.

The guy lead a break better then anyone not named Magic and he was a murder in the half court too. The one thing we never got to see Rondo try was leading a team that played with pace. Most passing point guards excel on the break but the Celtics played a half court game. I really thought Rondo would excel on the break when he first came in the league but I think I was wrong and he is just more a half court guy. I’m still not sure [emoji848]

JAZZNC
01-20-2019, 02:16 PM
The guy lead a break better then anyone not named Magic and he was a murder in the half court too. The one thing we never got to see Rondo try was leading a team that played with pace. Most passing point guards excel on the break but the Celtics played a half court game. I really thought Rondo would excel on the break when he first came in the league but I think I was wrong and he is just more a half court guy. I’m still not sure [emoji848]

That's why super athletic guys like RJ and K-Mart flourished running alongside Kidd. He definitely was a beast!

Tg11
01-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Lonzo can get better with time because he has great court vision and let's not forget Lonzo is still young too and Lonzo as a PG has pretty good basketball IQ

ewing
01-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Lonzo can get better with time because he has great court vision and let's not forget Lonzo is still young too and Lonzo as a PG has pretty good basketball IQ

I agree with all that. I still like Lonzo as a prospect.

Tg11
01-21-2019, 12:00 AM
I agree with all that. I still like Lonzo as a prospect.

Me too but Lonzo can benefit from either staying a Laker or if he were to leave by way of a trade then a change of scenery somewhere else could be good for Lonzo depending on where he ended up.

Scoots
01-21-2019, 02:46 AM
Lonza needs time to develop into the player he could be, but the presence of LeBron really hurts his development, not because they are doing anything wrong but because LeBron is LeBron and he inherently brings a mental challenge by his very presence.

If the young Lakers had been given 4 years to develop I suspect things would have turned out much different.

Tg11
01-21-2019, 06:38 AM
Lonza needs time to develop into the player he could be, but the presence of LeBron really hurts his development, not because they are doing anything wrong but because LeBron is LeBron and he inherently brings a mental challenge by his very presence.

If the young Lakers had been given 4 years to develop I suspect things would have turned out much different.

Yeah that and Magic & front office want to win now or they in win now mode which means Lonzo gets the boot unfortunately

ldawg
01-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Okafor, Randle and Mirotic Look good in their first game and seem to be a good front court. Obviously Davis is a beast but hes not winning. Should Pelicans cash in and should they avoid the super max. Either a Boston a LA trade.

Okafor, Baynes
Randle, Mirotic
Tatum
Brown
Jrue

or

Okafor, Zubac
Randle, Mirotic
Ingram
Lonzo
Jrue

Tg11
01-22-2019, 07:17 AM
I can see the Lakers trading Lonzo, Ingram and probably Zubac to the Pelicans especially if it means making a run at AD

Chronz
01-23-2019, 01:46 PM

When he mailed in games unless he was on national tv, when he stopped playing defense, when he would pound the ball, not taking the easy layup in order inflate his assists. Oh yeah and he's always been trash without the ball , hence why his offensive impact was rarely missed when he was injured or on the bench. Then he got to the point where he would make teams worse unless he accepted a bench role. So around his 3rd year.

Lol do you really not remember long time celtics fans like Bagwell join in on the thrashing?

Chronz
01-23-2019, 01:48 PM

You overrate his passing. Top5 sure

Chronz
01-23-2019, 01:50 PM

There's a reason the celtics wanted him gone, played immediately better without him. There's a reason he quit on team USA before they could cut him, the mavs had one of the best offenses in the league then saw rondo tank it before quitting on them. He's a role player for sure

ewing
01-23-2019, 01:52 PM
When he mailed in games unless he was on national tv, when he stopped playing defense, when he would pound the ball, not taking the easy layup in order inflate his assists. Oh yeah and he's always been trash without the ball , hence why his offensive impact was rarely missed when he was injured or on the bench. Then he got to the point where he would make teams worse unless he accepted a bench role. So around his 3rd year.

Lol do you really not remember long time celtics fans like Bagwell join in on the thrashing?

That guy was dumb

Chronz
01-23-2019, 01:53 PM

Paul peirce and kg thrived without rondo offensively, ray Allen hated playing with him. Those guys got old but I wouldn't say rondo played to their strengths, he just took the ball away from them, inhibited their iso games and got them open from 3 alot. Made their life easier cuz the team was good enough to coast bye with his ball hoggery but definitely not better players on the court

Chronz
01-23-2019, 01:57 PM
That guy was dumb

Only when he speaks highly of kyrie, he's one of true old g on here, saw Russell play in his youth. Definitely not dumb, it's impossible to be dumb at something you've watched for decades while also playing it at relatively high level

TakeYourL
01-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Paul peirce and kg thrived without rondo offensively, ray Allen hated playing with him. Those guys got old but I wouldn't say rondo played to their strengths, he just took the ball away from them, inhibited their iso games and got them open from 3 alot. Made their life easier cuz the team was good enough to coast bye with his ball hoggery but definitely not better players on the court

I think that's pretty unfair to rondo. I remember him in the playoffs playing with one damn arm and still playing well, that's how bad the Celtics needed him. He was a huge piece to the Celtics success, I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

How hard rondo played most of the time was never in doubt.

Kg Pierce Ray hated rondo, but that had nothing to do with what he did on the court, rondo is just a massive prick, but his game is legit.

ewing
01-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Only when he speaks highly of kyrie, he's one of true old g on here, saw Russell play in his youth. Definitely not dumb, it's impossible to be dumb at something you've watched for decades while also playing it at relatively high level

He was a total *******

Chronz
01-23-2019, 05:02 PM
I think that's pretty unfair to rondo. I remember him in the playoffs playing with one damn arm and still playing well, that's how bad the Celtics needed him. He was a huge piece to the Celtics success, I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

How hard rondo played most of the time was never in doubt.

Kg Pierce Ray hated rondo, but that had nothing to do with what he did on the court, rondo is just a massive prick, but his game is legit.

He became very important but those vets were still more important