PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy butler vs Coach Cal

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 03:35 AM
Coach Cal has said Jimmy butler bullied Towns and that Rose helped towns move past butler. Jimmy took it to heart and responded with this...

[Meanwhile, a buoyant Butler, who has never -- ever -- been called that, scored 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting. When he was stopped in the hallway to address Calipari's comments that he bullied Towns, Butler initially replied, "Whatever. That's OK." But, the more he thought about it, he decided it wasn't.

"I don't think bully is a good word," Butler told ESPN. "I tell it how it is. Whenever I was in college, I had [Marquette coach] Buzz Williams to tell me how it was. I didn't have a bunch of McDonald's All Americans like [Calipari] has. So, he can look at it a different way. "

Butler paused, perhaps to consider ending the conversation. But he couldn't -- and didn't.

"He can call me a bully, but when [Calipari] sees me, I'm gonna confront him about it," Butler continued. "If I'm a bully, I'm gonna bully him, too. I'll tell him how I feel, just like I'd tell anyone else.

"I don't care if he's some big head coach. I'm not bullying nobody. I'm just keeping it real. Some of these guys aren't used to it. When you have as much talent as [Karl] has had throughout his life, guys don't keep it real with him. I do." ]

So Is butler a bully or should players take a more passive approach? Butler is no angel but I have a hard time faulting a guy for telling a person like it is over going behind their backs like most super stars seem to do... Is this towns being a bit to soft?

More-Than-Most
01-19-2019, 03:36 AM
I am not a fan of bullying but i am also not a fan of talking behind guys backs like most stars do... I feel like towns is quiet and relaxed and jimmy is just head strong and always speaks his mind... I feel like a coach calling someone a bully who wasnt part of the actual situation is a bit ****ed up.

This is hard for me because I cant understand how a grown *** man can let another man bully them esp when its a new player that just came in.. I know he had his issues with the bulls but i dont think it was ever this bad.

lakerfan85
01-19-2019, 09:30 AM
I’m not sure what happened with Towns but man Butler sure does like to create a lot of drama..

WaDe03
01-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Butlers just cut from a different cloth and the type of guy I want on my team. Towns is a soft ***** who acts like such a hardass on the court to the point I can’t stand him.

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 12:33 PM
I'd take Jimmy B any day on my team if I want to win and because I'm all up for a teammate being "real" but this guy is confused and taking a terrible approach. Being "real" doesn't mean you're being a good leader. LeBron could easily have confronted J.R. and bashed his head in about not passing or shooting the ball in game 1 of the NBA Finals. He could easily have thrown Kevin Love under the bus all those Cleveland years. But he didn't. The easy way out is not working to find a solution and I don't think Jimmy Butler understands that. He thinks confronting these players is the right approach but doesn't realize that not everyone has that same mentality. In your workplace, you're not going to get very far confronting people like that unless you've got some accolades under your belt. Jimmy Butler has zero rings, zero MVP's, zero DPOY, and has never taken his team deep into the playoffs. A great player but if he's your leader, oh boy, there will be more drama than a TV series. There's a reason why Jimmy Butler was traded away from Bulls for what was looked at as a great trade for the Minny and bad for Bulls. There's a reason why he was then traded to the Philly Sixers in that a top ten player should have commanded more. Jimmy Butler wants to talk like Kobe but he doesn't win like Kobe.

ewing
01-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Coach Cal has said Jimmy butler bullied Towns and that Rose helped towns move past butler. Jimmy took it to heart and responded with this...

[Meanwhile, a buoyant Butler, who has never -- ever -- been called that, scored 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting. When he was stopped in the hallway to address Calipari's comments that he bullied Towns, Butler initially replied, "Whatever. That's OK." But, the more he thought about it, he decided it wasn't.

"I don't think bully is a good word," Butler told ESPN. "I tell it how it is. Whenever I was in college, I had [Marquette coach] Buzz Williams to tell me how it was. I didn't have a bunch of McDonald's All Americans like [Calipari] has. So, he can look at it a different way. "

Butler paused, perhaps to consider ending the conversation. But he couldn't -- and didn't.

"He can call me a bully, but when [Calipari] sees me, I'm gonna confront him about it," Butler continued. "If I'm a bully, I'm gonna bully him, too. I'll tell him how I feel, just like I'd tell anyone else.

"I don't care if he's some big head coach. I'm not bullying nobody. I'm just keeping it real. Some of these guys aren't used to it. When you have as much talent as [Karl] has had throughout his life, guys don't keep it real with him. I do." ]

So Is butler a bully or should players take a more passive approach? Butler is no angel but I have a hard time faulting a guy for telling a person like it is over going behind their backs like most super stars seem to do... Is this towns being a bit to soft?

My HS coach and Coach Cal are very good friends so I side firmly with Jimmy Butler on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronz
01-19-2019, 01:30 PM
We need more bullies like butler in a world full of pansies. I know i'm making a conscious effort to be more aggressive

Hawkeye15
01-19-2019, 03:34 PM
I'd take Jimmy B any day on my team if I want to win and because I'm all up for a teammate being "real" but this guy is confused and taking a terrible approach. Being "real" doesn't mean you're being a good leader. LeBron could easily have confronted J.R. and bashed his head in about not passing or shooting the ball in game 1 of the NBA Finals. He could easily have thrown Kevin Love under the bus all those Cleveland years. But he didn't. The easy way out is not working to find a solution and I don't think Jimmy Butler understands that. He thinks confronting these players is the right approach but doesn't realize that not everyone has that same mentality. In your workplace, you're not going to get very far confronting people like that unless you've got some accolades under your belt. Jimmy Butler has zero rings, zero MVP's, zero DPOY, and has never taken his team deep into the playoffs. A great player but if he's your leader, oh boy, there will be more drama than a TV series. There's a reason why Jimmy Butler was traded away from Bulls for what was looked at as a great trade for the Minny and bad for Bulls. There's a reason why he was then traded to the Philly Sixers in that a top ten player should have commanded more. Jimmy Butler wants to talk like Kobe but he doesn't win like Kobe.

Spot on dude

Hawkeye15
01-19-2019, 03:35 PM
We need more bullies like butler in a world full of pansies. I know i'm making a conscious effort to be more aggressive

Go get em big guy

Chronz
01-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Go get em big guy

Toxic masculinity be damned

warfelg
01-19-2019, 05:28 PM
I think the thing with Jimmy is you need players who are similar to him in attitude to the game. The “I work my *** off for everything”. If you aren’t that type of guy, you’ll often feel bullied by it. You need guys with some dog in them in that way.

I think we got that and this won’t be as big of a deal as thought here. TJ McConnell worked his *** off to get here. Simmons works his tail off so he can have fun. Embiid didn’t start playing til he was 16, so he obviously worked his *** off for it.

Simmons might be the closest to “silver spoon” player that we have.

And I think that’s what Wiggins/KAT’s issue with him was.

ewing
01-19-2019, 06:08 PM
I think the thing with Jimmy is you need players who are similar to him in attitude to the game. The “I work my *** off for everything”. If you aren’t that type of guy, you’ll often feel bullied by it. You need guys with some dog in them in that way.

I think we got that and this won’t be as big of a deal as thought here. TJ McConnell worked his *** off to get here. Simmons works his tail off so he can have fun. Embiid didn’t start playing til he was 16, so he obviously worked his *** off for it.

Simmons is definitely a silver spoon guy. Its doesn't matter if you play really hard though and I will give Simmons credit. He might have mailed in his college career but he has shown a solid motor in Philly and he plays both ends

Raps18-19 Champ
01-19-2019, 06:48 PM
We need more Jimmy Butlers in the world.

smith&wesson
01-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Jimmy wants to keep it real but forgets the fact that he hasn’t won or even come close to wining anything. But he wants to act like a leader with an iron fist who knows what it takes, he doesn’t...

ewing
01-19-2019, 09:36 PM

I don’t know about that but the NBA could use a couple more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaDe03
01-19-2019, 11:00 PM
Soft *** ******

More-Than-Most
01-20-2019, 03:56 AM
I am in the boat of the NBA and the players are soft as ****... Its well known I am not a big fan of todays NBA... I dont agree if butler actually bullied but guys like kat come off as just showing up and doing their job and leaving and if i was a dude going all out daily id be ****ing pissed lol

More-Than-Most
01-20-2019, 03:58 AM

pretty much this. I get it from Kat to a point that he is doing HIS job but from butlers perspective who wants everyone to go all out all the time and so on clearly that isnt kat... There is nothing wrong with butler wanting that because all the great do in kobe/jordan etc.

JAZZNC
01-20-2019, 10:16 AM
pretty much this. I get it from Kat to a point that he is doing HIS job but from butlers perspective who wants everyone to go all out all the time and so on clearly that isnt kat... There is nothing wrong with butler wanting that because all the great do in kobe/jordan etc.

I think the problem is that Jimmy acts like Kobe/Jordan and he isn't remotely close to that level of player. He thinks he is but he's not. He's not a leader, he's just an *******. People tend to deal with an ******* better when they are a top 10 player ever. I honestly dont think Jimmy has ever been a top 10 player in the league. Big time difference.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2019, 10:56 AM

I used to think this too. Even understanding that is literally impossible to have 12 guys who would kick a puppy in order to win. But, over time I realized Butler just needs something to set a chip on his shoulder, and if it doesn't come naturally, he creates it. And that is not a good thing in a team environment.

His abrasive, confrontational tactics also don't work. Like said above, MAYBE if he was an accomplished player who has been to the other side and back, but who is listening to a 2-3rd tier "star" whose teams have never done ****? Meh

Hawkeye15
01-21-2019, 10:57 AM

we have one in the white house

Hawkeye15
01-21-2019, 10:59 AM
I think the problem is that Jimmy acts like Kobe/Jordan and he isn't remotely close to that level of player. He thinks he is but he's not. He's not a leader, he's just an *******. People tend to deal with an ******* better when they are a top 10 player ever. I honestly dont think Jimmy has ever been a top 10 player in the league. Big time difference.

It's the ONLY way people deal with Butler's kind, if they have succeeded. He hasn't. He acts like Jordan or Kobe, but he hasn't done anything. Divas are always in sports, and the moment their worth is down, the league literally kicks them so far out it's hilarious. Terrell Owens for example.

Butler is a very good player. But he isn't a superstar you hang your hat on, and he acts like he is.

JAZZNC
01-21-2019, 11:20 AM
It's the ONLY way people deal with Butler's kind, if they have succeeded. He hasn't. He acts like Jordan or Kobe, but he hasn't done anything. Divas are always in sports, and the moment their worth is down, the league literally kicks them so far out it's hilarious. Terrell Owens for example.

Butler is a very good player. But he isn't a superstar you hang your hat on, and he acts like he is.

Yeah him being the 3rd best player on the team isn't going to end well. Good luck with that big contract the Sixers HAVE to give him.

KG2TB
01-21-2019, 12:16 PM
He needs an MJ on the team to put him in check. Or keep it real, I should say.

aman_13
01-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Jimmy comes off as a bad leader and I'm tired of reading about how he tells it like it is.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk