PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA have more international games?

Tg11
01-17-2019, 11:51 AM
By that I mean for regular season games we see them being played in other countries too like London, England for example. However, that being said should we see more regular season games being played in places like Beijing, China? Paris, France? Mexico City, Mexico? Rome, Italy? Madrid, Spain? Rio de Janeiro, Brazil?

TheDish87
01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
from a business standpoint, yes. from a fan standpoint, no. one team losses out on a home game for their fans. different time zones affect viewing nationally too.

ewing
01-17-2019, 01:23 PM
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likemystylez
01-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Heck no. its called the NBA.... not the IBA. Its bad enough we got teams in canada. Other countries can watch the leagues in their country, or form leagues in their country to watch every night. NBA is for Americans its the national basketball league

TheDish87
01-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Heck no. its called the NBA.... not the IBA. Its bad enough we got teams in canada. Other countries can watch the leagues in their country, or form leagues in their country to watch every night. NBA is for Americans its the national basketball league

**** yea, Merica! lets keep all these euro players out too! American born players only, always, and forever.

likemystylez
01-17-2019, 02:18 PM
**** yea, Merica! lets keep all these euro players out too! American born players only, always, and forever.

I dont mind that- but theyre coming to play in an american league.... american league isnt going to them

TheDish87
01-17-2019, 02:40 PM
no ones talking about having a team in another country. its a cashcow for the league to have a few intl games a year and essentially a thank you for the money they spend on merch, etc as the league might be national but its a worldwide brand. I dont follow the NHL to know but MLB and the NFL do this as well. You just send them the **** teams who have poor attendance and not the Sixers/Celtics.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Nope. No need. The game is already global, no need to deal with that travel.

benzni
01-17-2019, 02:53 PM
hell naw

Hawkeye15
01-17-2019, 02:53 PM

he has a point though. Anyone in the universe that wants to play basketball at the highest level knows the NBA is it. No need for the NBA to reach out when everyone comes to them.

likemystylez
01-17-2019, 02:58 PM
no ones talking about having a team in another country. its a cashcow for the league to have a few intl games a year and essentially a thank you for the money they spend on merch, etc as the league might be national but its a worldwide brand. I dont follow the NHL to know but MLB and the NFL do this as well. You just send them the **** teams who have poor attendance and not the Sixers/Celtics.

yeah- but in an era where making sure everything possible is being done to make sure guys are getting sufficient time to rest (I personally think its going overboard when the primary talking point on an entire tv broadcast is a team is on the back end of a very rare back to back).... but pushing to play games in another continent during the middle of s grinding season seems to be counter productive.

TheDish87
01-17-2019, 04:49 PM
he has a point though. Anyone in the universe that wants to play basketball at the highest level knows the NBA is it. No need for the NBA to reach out when everyone comes to them.

need, no. but its good PR and it helps drive even more merch sales and appeals to new viewers. its a smart business move. as an owner losing home court revenue its a different story.

TheDish87
01-17-2019, 04:53 PM
yeah- but in an era where making sure everything possible is being done to make sure guys are getting sufficient time to rest (I personally think its going overboard when the primary talking point on an entire tv broadcast is a team is on the back end of a very rare back to back).... but pushing to play games in another continent during the middle of s grinding season seems to be counter productive.

thats not how they schedule it. for example the Sixers had 6 days off before playing in London and 4 off before playing again at home where they went on to win the next 3 including 2 vs playoff teams. so travel had no impact. its not that far anyway.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2019, 05:31 PM
need, no. but its good PR and it helps drive even more merch sales and appeals to new viewers. its a smart business move. as an owner losing home court revenue its a different story.

I disagree. Too many games to be sending teams on terribly long airplane rides. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-17-2019, 05:38 PM
I'd be glad with more early tip-off games. Around afternoon in US, so we could watch them late night.

Right now most of the games start 2 AM-5:30 AM.

Tg11
01-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Or how about NBA game being played in Sydney or Melbourne, Australia? That would be nice and different

TheDish87
01-25-2019, 05:25 PM
I disagree. Too many games to be sending teams on terribly long airplane rides. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives.

London is roughly only 3 more hours from the east coast than LA. Not a big deal. Like I said had no impact on the players with plenty of time to adjust before and after the trip. they were no negatives than the earlier start time. also it sold big time, i recall nosebleeds being on resale prices over 400$

TheDish87
01-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Or how about NBA game being played in Sydney or Melbourne, Australia? That would be nice and different

thats too much with a 21 hour flight one way

Tg11
01-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Then how about playing a regular season game in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

ewing
01-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Id like to see a playoff game at MSG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk