PDA

View Full Version : Justise Winslow, do we dismiss young players too soon?

WaDe03
01-16-2019, 04:43 PM

What are your thoughts on his improved play after being named the starting PG? I remember seeing the name Bustise Winslow thrown around a lot lol. I admit I myself was pretty down on him up until the playoffs last year and until his move to PG this year (rookie year excluded) but I clearly shouldn’t have been. I think we sometimes forget that these guys come in so young these days and we’re quick to dismiss them if they don’t become stars in 3-4 years. This is Justise’s 4th year, basically 3rd due to injury on his 2nd season and hes only 22 years old. This guy still has plenty of time to become an all star. I was skeptical of his contract extension at first but if this play continues Miami has 2 of the best contracts in the NBA with him and JRich.

What do you think of this new justise we’ve seen at PG and do you think he can keep it up or even improve on it? Do you agree that we dismiss young players too soon these days? Deangelo Russell is another guy who comes to mind as he’s been leading this solid Nets team and is the Lakers best draft pick when comparing him to the guys on their team currently they drafted.

ewing
01-16-2019, 04:54 PM

What are your thoughts on his improved play after being named the starting PG? I remember seeing the name Bustise Winslow thrown around a lot lol. I admit I myself was pretty down on him up until the playoffs last year and until his move to PG this year (rookie year excluded) but I clearly shouldn’t have been. I think we sometimes forget that these guys come in so young these days and we’re quick to dismiss them if they don’t become stars in 3-4 years. This is Justise’s 4th year, basically 3rd due to injury on his 2nd season and hes only 22 years old. This guy still has plenty of time to become an all star. I was skeptical of his contract extension at first but if this play continues Miami has 2 of the best contracts in the NBA with him and JRich.

What do you think of this new justise we’ve seen at PG and do you think he can keep it up or even improve on it? Do you agree that we dismiss young players too soon these days? Deangelo Russell is another guy who comes to mind as he’s been leading this solid Nets team and is the Lakers best draft pick when comparing him to the guys on their team currently they drafted.

yes and no. I think guys are harder to access b/c of most now come in as project. I think some people do discard guys really based just on stats but I think teams really do try to access based on skill set, approach, fit.... In Justice case I was a fan of his in college. I haven't watch him this year and haven't seen him at point at all. I will say him being a natural PG would surprise me. I hope he keeps it up. I was starting to see him as more Kid-Gilchrist type at best but if he can really contribute on offensive he could be a nice two way player

Scoots
01-16-2019, 04:56 PM
The NBA often gives up on young players far too early. Windlow has to stay healthy and improve his shooting, but no question he's a good NBA player.

Alayla
01-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Yes it's the biggest failing of NBA fans and to a lesser extent NBA teams everyone is so quick to forget why they where interested in a prospect to begin with. Everyone is so scared of the word bust and it's such a strong label yet we give it to people so early.

Hawkeye15
01-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Yes, the NBA does give up on young guys too quickly. Star players will show it pretty quickly. If a prospect doesn't show star mentality, he nows slides to what fit is best. So they can bounce around, and be effective for one team, then not effective for another team, etc. I imagine there are guys who missed years of income playing in the NBA simply because they never found the right situation.

The draft portion is even more disgusting. If a guy stays in college until age 21, it's like a red mark on their scouting report. That is crazy to me personally. It's the biggest reason the NBA has killed college basketball, and stunted player growth in many cases.

Hawkeye15
01-16-2019, 05:09 PM
yes and no. I think guys are harder to access b/c of most now come in as project. I think some people do discard guys really based just on stats but I think teams really do try to access based on skill set, approach, fit.... In Justice case I was a fan of his in college. I haven't watch him this year and haven't seen him at point at all. I will say him being a natural PG would surprise me. I hope he keeps it up. I was starting to see him as more Kid-Gilchrist type at best but if he can really contribute on offensive he could be a nice two way player

very good point here. I agree

WaDe03
01-16-2019, 05:09 PM
The NBA often gives up on young players far too early. Windlow has to stay healthy and improve his shooting, but no question he's a good NBA player.

38% on 4 attempts from 3 right now, if he could get that up to 40% on 6 it would be awesome. 41% since his move to PG.

16-6-6-2-49%-41%-60% are his numbers since moving to PG. he needs to get that FT% up but other than that no complaints.

WaDe03
01-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Good points, I agree. He had thrown some crazy passes and seems to have great vision so we’ll see where this all leads.

Scoots
01-16-2019, 06:38 PM
38% on 4 attempts from 3 right now, if he could get that up to 40% on 6 it would be awesome. 41% since his move to PG.

16-6-6-2-49%-41%-60% are his numbers since moving to PG. he needs to get that FT% up but other than that no complaints.

I count FT% as part of "shooting" and a PG in the 60s is shocking. You can't have the guy with the ball in his hands late in games if he's hitting 60%

TakeYourL
01-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Has he legitimately been a good pg?

Barry Jackson is a solid beat writer, the best in miami for sure, but he definitely writes with a pro Miami bias.

I haven't watched Winslow at all this year didn't even know he was playing pg.

pebloemer
01-16-2019, 06:54 PM
He looked great against Toronto in a tough close game. I've always liked him historically as well.

ewing
01-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Does Justice have the handle to stand up under pressure?

warfelg
01-16-2019, 07:51 PM
To answer the original question: Absolutely we give up on talent too easy. It's my issue with the 1-and-done, is we saw a HUGE influx of kids that should be staying coming out. This would have been his Senior year at Duke had he stayed.

Lakers + Giants
01-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Bustise Winslow

aman_13
01-16-2019, 08:38 PM
I was impressed by him when the Raptors played the Heat. He guarded Kawhi as well as anyone this season. Probably the only guy I've seen so far that got him off his spots.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Raps08-09 Champ
01-17-2019, 12:41 AM
His development has been slower than most expected but glad to see him doing well.

WaDe03
01-18-2019, 09:03 PM

I’m loving Point Winslow!

ewing
01-18-2019, 09:05 PM

I’m loving Point Winslow!

How is his handle? Have people tried to get up in him?

WaDe03
01-18-2019, 09:16 PM
How is his handle? Have people tried to get up in him?

Pretty solid and I’m sure they’re working to improve it. He’s strong too so guys are bouncing off when there’s contact and he attacks. 3 point shot looking very good too.

WaDe03
01-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Damn he’s the same age as Simmons and only a year older than Bam.

ewing
01-18-2019, 11:51 PM
Damn he’s the same age as Simmons and only a year older than Bam.

He could win rookie of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiantsSwaGG
01-19-2019, 12:36 AM
12 games? Can we see him do it for an entire season

Tg11
01-19-2019, 09:14 AM
12 games? Can we see him do it for an entire season

Yeah I know right