PDA

View Full Version : A few teams called the Cavs about Tristan Thompson

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-16-2019, 01:44 PM

The Cavaliers are in year one of a rebuild and Tristan Thompson is among the veterans who could be dealt. The team has taken a few calls on the big man, according to Sam Amico of AmicoHoops, though the scribe cautions that the franchise is in no hurry to deal him away.

Thompson has become a leader for the Cavs, aiding Clevelandís younger players and showcasing high energy even as the teamís losses pile up. Itís clear that Thompson has a different mindset than he did last season where he appeared distracted. Itís possible rival teams are seeing the value of a productive player who is shooting 52.9% from the field and making a positive impact in the locker room.

Kevin Love is the only Cavalier this season earning a higher salary than Thompsonís, which comes in at approximately $17.5MM. The former No. 4 overall pick will make $18,5MM next season during the last year of his current deal.

Thompson has spent his entire eight-year career in Cleveland. Heís averaging a career-high 11.2 rebounds per game this season and his 19.2 player efficiency rating is by far the best of his career.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/01/rival-teams-interested-in-cavs-tristan-thompson.html

Tg11
01-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Tristan Thompson could thrive by going to a contender but then again teams I could see him fitting in on: Raptors because he's from the Toronto area well specifically Brampton but still he would be going home, Celtics, Lakers to reunite with LeBron in LA plus TT's girl Khloe Kardashian is out in LA with their daughter, Clippers, or TT to the Timberwolves

Scoots
01-16-2019, 04:37 PM
He'd be good on a lot of teams, but he's not likely to earn his contract as expected.

Vee-Rex
01-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Could help the Celtics out that's for sure.

FlashBolt
01-17-2019, 01:39 AM
He's an offensive rebounding machine. Guys like that will find a place on any team.

More-Than-Most
01-17-2019, 02:40 AM
yuck. He would be good for a team that cant improve in free agency but are willing to make a trade and go over the luxury tax because of playoffs... Outside of that it would be stupid

Scoots
01-17-2019, 03:09 AM
yuck. He would be good for a team that cant improve in free agency but are willing to make a trade and go over the luxury tax because of playoffs... Outside of that it would be stupid

The player fits, the contract not so much.

More-Than-Most
01-17-2019, 03:11 AM
The player fits, the contract not so much.

yup... the only teams that should take that contract is OKC/Rockets. It would be dumb for anyone else.

Saddletramp
01-17-2019, 05:21 AM
yup... the only teams that should take that contract is OKC/Rockets. It would be dumb for anyone else.

Brandon Knight and Nene for TT. Itís about the same money and TT is a serious upgrade over Nene. The Cavs can flip Knight in the off season/next deadline as an expiring contract.

Tg11
01-17-2019, 11:08 AM
TT to the Rockets is actually not that bad or shipping him off actually to the Miami Heat could work too

FlashBolt
01-17-2019, 01:42 PM
TT to the Rockets is actually not that bad or shipping him off actually to the Miami Heat could work too

You do realize the Rockets have Capela, right?

Tg11
01-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Rockets of course could use him for bench depth

Saddletramp
01-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Heís out 4-6 weeks and they got killed in the paint last night by the Nets.

Rivera
01-17-2019, 06:28 PM
just me guessing looking at the standings who may have called

Bucks/Maybee Raptors/Maybe the Celtics/maybe the thunder/ could see the blazers/who doesnt the Rockets call about?

those would be my guesses

Scoots
01-17-2019, 06:35 PM

They really did. Nene and Criss are not exactly intimidating.

FlashBolt
01-17-2019, 07:40 PM

I understand that but there's no sense in getting a lesser player in Thompson just to have him come off the bench playing behind Capela. Capela being out 4-6 weeks is irrelevant here. He'll be back and Thompson commands $20 million so you guys are likely going to have to give up pieces that are more useful than what Thompson could contribute. It's not like you can play Capela and Thompson on the court at the same time.

Tg11
01-17-2019, 08:26 PM
I understand that but there's no sense in getting a lesser player in Thompson just to have him come off the bench playing behind Capela. Capela being out 4-6 weeks is irrelevant here. He'll be back and Thompson commands $20 million so you guys are likely going to have to give up pieces that are more useful than what Thompson could contribute. It's not like you can play Capela and Thompson on the court at the same time.

Unless you shift Thompson over as a 5 (C) and you have Capela play the 4 (PF) or you have Capela at the 5 still and have TT at the 4 at PF

Saddletramp
01-17-2019, 09:27 PM

Thompson is getting $17.5 and next year $18.5. Brandon Knight and Nene are getting paid about $18.2 million this year and a little more next year. Iíd rather upgrade Nene to TT at $18.5 next year off the bench then have Nene ($3 million) and a $15 million bench guard.

Actually, Knight and Nene will be getting $20.5 million combined next year. Nene canít play back to backs and is a shell of his former self, which wasnít that much better than TT is now.

Scoots
01-17-2019, 11:19 PM
Thompson doesn't make sense for anyone if they have to eat his contract.

Saddletramp
01-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Thompson doesn't make sense for anyone if they have to eat his contract.

Same money for either scenario (actually about $3 million less for TT): Knight, who had a horrendous injury and was out for a year and a half plus Nene (whoís done) or TT?

Note: you have Harden, CP3, Gordon, and Austin Rivers (whoís finally playing well) above Knight (whoís still missing some time and is on a heavy minutes restriction when he does play). So this is basically like switching out Nene for Tristan Thompson.

Scoots
01-18-2019, 01:04 AM
Thompson is getting $17.5 and next year $18.5. Brandon Knight and Nene are getting paid about $18.2 million this year and a little more next year. Iíd rather upgrade Nene to TT at $18.5 next year off the bench then have Nene ($3 million) and a $15 million bench guard.

Actually, Knight and Nene will be getting $20.5 million combined next year. Nene canít play back to backs and is a shell of his former self, which wasnít that much better than TT is now.

But would the Cavs make that deal? Trade away a younger player who they say has been a leader and who is playing well for a player who can't play at all and a player who can barely play ... and not save any money in the process? Throw in a couple picks and then they might talk

Saddletramp
01-18-2019, 01:17 AM
But would the Cavs make that deal? Trade away a younger player who they say has been a leader and who is playing well for a player who can't play at all and a player who can barely play ... and not save any money in the process? Throw in a couple picks and then they might talk

Sure about a pick or two but Iím looking at if from the Rockets POV. Kind of like being a fantasy GM. But you said he doesnít make sense for anyone at that price.....he makes sense for the Rockets at that price if they make that particular deal.

FlashBolt
01-18-2019, 02:19 AM

Why would Cleveland take any of that? Lol. Let's be logical here. Obviously it would make sense if Cavs were dumping everything and bird boxed every trade but there is zero incentive for them to make such a trade so it's not even going to register into my mind why it would happen. You're going to have to give up players who actually contribute and if that's the case, it makes little sense.

Saddletramp
01-18-2019, 02:34 AM
Why would Cleveland take any of that? Lol. Let's be logical here. Obviously it would make sense if Cavs were dumping everything and bird boxed every trade but there is zero incentive for them to make such a trade so it's not even going to register into my mind why it would happen. You're going to have to give up players who actually contribute and if that's the case, it makes little sense.

You originally complained that the Rockets didnít need him because they have Capela. Iím telling you why they could need him and now youíre talking about how the Cavs wouldnít take that package (obviously thereíd be a pick or two involved). Iím not looking at it from the Cavs POV, Iím looking at it from the Rockets POV.......which is what you were arguing against.

FlashBolt
01-18-2019, 02:48 AM
You originally complained that the Rockets didnít need him because they have Capela. Iím telling you why they could need him and now youíre talking about how the Cavs wouldnít take that package (obviously thereíd be a pick or two involved). Iím not looking at it from the Cavs POV, Iím looking at it from the Rockets POV.......which is what you were arguing against.

I'm being realistic. If we're talking about giving up garbage for a productive player, every team could use that. But Cavs aren't taking anything Rockets have to offer involving Brandon Knight or players who suck balls and cost just as much. If Rockets already have Capela, TT isn't their solution. This is a pointless discussion from a poster (TG) who typically makes nonsensical suggestions. Also, I never said they didn't need him. My first post in this thread was this:

"He's an offensive rebounding machine. Guys like that will find a place on any team."

My point with the Rockets is any trade they make would have to involve a productive asset and it doesn't make much sense to trade a productive asset for a player who will be playing a few minutes once Capela comes back. If you can trade away garbage players like it's a Monopoly game with a five year old child, then we could come up with a million trade ideas that would make X player look like great on a team.

FlashBolt
01-18-2019, 02:51 AM
Unless you shift Thompson over as a 5 (C) and you have Capela play the 4 (PF) or you have Capela at the 5 still and have TT at the 4 at PF

Lol. Yeah, sure. Let's have two players who can't score the ball other than from a pick-and-roll situation play at the same time so we can suck the shooting and floor spacing away. Makes total sense. The other team would be having a blast defending the Rockets.

Saddletramp
01-18-2019, 03:39 AM
I'm being realistic. If we're talking about giving up garbage for a productive player, every team could use that. But Cavs aren't taking anything Rockets have to offer involving Brandon Knight or players who suck balls and cost just as much. If Rockets already have Capela, TT isn't their solution. This is a pointless discussion from a poster (TG) who typically makes nonsensical suggestions. Also, I never said they didn't need him. My first post in this thread was this:

"He's an offensive rebounding machine. Guys like that will find a place on any team."

My point with the Rockets is any trade they make would have to involve a productive asset and it doesn't make much sense to trade a productive asset for a player who will be playing a few minutes once Capela comes back. If you can trade away garbage players like it's a Monopoly game with a five year old child, then we could come up with a million trade ideas that would make X player look like great on a team.

You said he wouldnít help, I explained how he would. Itís like talking in circles with some of you guys. You make a statement and then change the statement when your original statement is shot down.

FlashBolt
01-18-2019, 12:44 PM
You said he wouldnít help, I explained how he would. Itís like talking in circles with some of you guys. You make a statement and then change the statement when your original statement is shot down.

Nice strawman all around. Find where I said he wouldn't help. I said it doesn't make sense if Rockets have to give up productive assets (which is likely what it will take). All you've done is said we can give our garbage for Thompson and Thompson can provide more than Knight. None of what you've said is argued from a logical standpoint and you've provided strawman saying I've stated, "need" or "help" when I never said any of such. I said it doesn't make SENSE. Learn to read and hop off PSD at your convenience. You're right, it's like talking in circles. Mainly consisting of you making stuff up because you're so invested in being right than actually reading what someone wrote.

Scoots
01-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Sure about a pick or two but Iím looking at if from the Rockets POV. Kind of like being a fantasy GM. But you said he doesnít make sense for anyone at that price.....he makes sense for the Rockets at that price if they make that particular deal.

Okay ... but that's only because they chose to eat some terrible contracts already. If we are allowed wild speculation, let's speculate that Knight and Nene choose to retire and those contracts are struck from the Rockets books ... THEN does it make sense to spend that money on TT over all the other choices out there?

His contract is bad, but it's not HORRIBLE because he's a valuable player ... it's just that he's paid like a very good starter while playing like a 7th man.

Saddletramp
01-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Okay ... but that's only because they chose to eat some terrible contracts already. If we are allowed wild speculation, let's speculate that Knight and Nene choose to retire and those contracts are struck from the Rockets books ... THEN does it make sense to spend that money on TT over all the other choices out there?

His contract is bad, but it's not HORRIBLE because he's a valuable player ... it's just that he's paid like a very good starter while playing like a 7th man.

Whoís allowing ďwild speculationĒ? Why would we think those guys are retiring?

You said before that he wouldnít earn his contract.....both of those other guys arenít, either. Not with Knight behind who heís behind. I donít even really care about getting TT, and I doubt it happens. Iím just pointing out that someone could use him at that price with s trade like that.

Saddletramp
01-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Nice strawman all around. Find where I said he wouldn't help. I said it doesn't make sense if Rockets have to give up productive assets (which is likely what it will take). All you've done is said we can give our garbage for Thompson and Thompson can provide more than Knight. None of what you've said is argued from a logical standpoint and you've provided strawman saying I've stated, "need" or "help" when I never said any of such. I said it doesn't make SENSE. Learn to read and hop off PSD at your convenience. You're right, it's like talking in circles. Mainly consisting of you making stuff up because you're so invested in being right than actually reading what someone wrote.

If you could trade for a guy that would seal up your backup C spot for a 3rd string PG and an old, pretty much done C, you wouldnít do it? And itís a little less money? Again, Iím not looking at what the Cavs want.

Whatever. Iím not going to go back and forth on Tristan ****ing Thompson all day today.

Scoots
01-18-2019, 06:00 PM
If you could trade for a guy that would seal up your backup C spot for a 3rd string PG and an old, pretty much done C, you wouldnít do it? And itís a little less money? Again, Iím not looking at what the Cavs want.

Whatever. Iím not going to go back and forth on Tristan ****ing Thompson all day today.

Yes, the Rockets would make that trade, but nobody else would do it with them so it's moot.

FlashBolt
01-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Yes, the Rockets would make that trade, but nobody else would do it with them so it's moot.

That's the essence of it. If this is just about making salaries work on the perspective of the Rockets, I could come up with a million different trade scenarios. It's a moot point. We're better off focusing on what can actually happen than alternative trade ideas that doesn't even seem fathomable.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Well Nets bought out Faried and Faried will be signing with Rockets.

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Well Nets bought out Faried and Faried will be signing with Rockets.

That might be one of the biggest moves this season if Faried gets solid minutes. Great move for the Rockets and perfect fit as well.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Rockets still need to trade Knight and a bunch of picks to get some kinda upgrade. No way Harden can keep this up all the way into the playoffs. He'll be burned out by then. Plus that article about Melo be on a new team soon. Not sure if they meant Rockets buying him out finally or a trade is coming. Lakers been keeping an eye on that situation according to some articles.

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Rockets still need to trade Knight and a bunch of picks to get some kinda upgrade. No way Harden can keep this up all the way into the playoffs. He'll be burned out by then. Plus that article about Melo be on a new team soon. Not sure if they meant Rockets buying him out finally or a trade is coming. Lakers been keeping an eye on that situation according to some articles.

CP3's coming back. Getting rid of Knight will be tough. He's not even worth playing on the court.

Scoots
01-19-2019, 03:38 PM
That might be one of the biggest moves this season if Faried gets solid minutes. Great move for the Rockets and perfect fit as well.

Rockets are desperate for a defensive big ...Faried doesn't really provide much D from what I've seen. Still, it's a good pickup.

FlashBolt
01-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Rockets are desperate for a defensive big ...Faried doesn't really provide much D from what I've seen. Still, it's a good pickup.

Faried's a great offensive rebounder (helps Harden) and hustles. Not really concerned about the D. Harden's offense is what drives this team right now.