PDA

View Full Version : Mavs looking to trade Dennis Smith Jr.

WaDe03
01-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Where do you think he ends up? What team should be all over this? What do you think his value is being on a rookie contract? Are they moving him too soon?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Magic and Suns need a PG yet.

LeonFSU
01-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Would Dallas want Fournier and filler for Matthews and Smith? Seems like a bad deal to me, but I doubt Orlando is willing to give up a 1st round pick.

Heediot
01-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Would Dallas want Fournier and filler for Matthews and Smith? Seems like a bad deal to me, but I doubt Orlando is willing to give up a 1st round pick.

I think they'd consider DSJ for Ross and something on top. They have the cap to absorb Ross. He's expiring too.

Actually they can't absorb ross without salary matching.

IndyRealist
01-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Now that they know Doncic is the real deal, they need to move Smith before his value drops any more. The longer he plays with Doncic the worse he looks by comparison.

dhopisthename
01-15-2019, 10:12 PM
I wish the Jazz could get in on this, but doubt we have the stuff the mavs would want.

Scoots
01-15-2019, 10:48 PM
When I've seen him his D has been BAD ... that really hurts his value in this PG strong league. It would be nice to see him go somewhere with a defensive environment that can help him develop.

LeonFSU
01-16-2019, 11:58 AM
I think they'd consider DSJ for Ross and something on top. They have the cap to absorb Ross. He's expiring too.

Actually they can't absorb ross without salary matching.

I think if Dallas would accept Fournier/Ross or something like Ross/Simmons/Grant for Matthews/Smith the Magic should go for it (even if they also have to include OKC's 2020 1st round pick). Would seem to be worth the risk for Orlando since none of those players are going to make much of a difference for the Magic.

warfelg
01-16-2019, 12:14 PM
When I've seen him his D has been BAD ... that really hurts his value in this PG strong league. It would be nice to see him go somewhere with a defensive environment that can help him develop.

Some team that will let him be a Crawford/Lou Williams type will be great for him. Come off the bench and just score.

Scoots
01-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Some team that will let him be a Crawford/Lou Williams type will be great for him. Come off the bench and just score.

He doesn't shoot like those guys :) Also, those sorts of players value has been dropping pretty quickly lately.

Tg11
01-17-2019, 12:17 PM
DSJ to the Suns

Mr.B
01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
This rumor has been around for about a week now. A lot has come out over the last couple of days (in Dallas).

First, the Mavs are are not trying to trade DSJ. This rumor was started by Dennis’ agent. With Luka establishing himself as the alpha on the team and primary ball handler/distributor Dennis and his agent would like to be traded to a team where he’s the main guy. Donnie Nelson and Cuban though have no interest in giving up on Dennis this early.

Prior to his wrist injury Dennis was playing really well without the ball and his defense was really good. The last 3 games he’s been healthy but has “called in sick”. It appears he’s just getting bad advice from his agent. He’s likely not going to get traded unless some team REALLY wanted Dennis and offered a deal the Mavs couldn’t turn down.

JAZZNC
01-17-2019, 03:45 PM
This rumor has been around for about a week now. A lot has come out over the last couple of days (in Dallas).

First, the Mavs are are not trying to trade DSJ. This rumor was started by Dennis’ agent. With Luka establishing himself as the alpha on the team and primary ball handler/distributor Dennis and his agent would like to be traded to a team where he’s the main guy. Donnie Nelson and Cuban though have no interest in giving up on Dennis this early.

Prior to his wrist injury Dennis was playing really well without the ball and his defense was really good. The last 3 games he’s been healthy but has “called in sick”. It appears he’s just getting bad advice from his agent. He’s likely not going to get traded unless some team REALLY wanted Dennis and offered a deal the Mavs couldn’t turn down.

The butthurt some players these days have is ridiculous. I mean if you don't wanna be supplanted as the primary ball handler be better or accept it. Crying about it and not showing up for work is a joke. They should just tell him to stay at home.

Mr.B
01-17-2019, 04:16 PM
The butthurt some players these days have is ridiculous. I mean if you don't wanna be supplanted as the primary ball handler be better or accept it. Crying about it and not showing up for work is a joke. They should just tell him to stay at home.

Dennis really has zero leverage in this matter. He still has 3 years left on his rookie contract. The best thing he could do is be a professional and improve his game. Then if he still wants to be traded he’d have a better choice of teams to go to. With his agent leaking that trade rumor he lowered any value he might have had so it makes zero sense for the Mavs to trade him now.

PAOboston
01-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Gotta do what you gotta do to give yourself best chance at making money. If he thinks his development is being hindered by the Mavs choosing Luka for him, I don’t blame him or his agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAZZNC
01-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Gotta do what you gotta do to give yourself best chance at making money. If he thinks his development is being hindered by the Mavs choosing Luka for him, I don’t blame him or his agent.

His development is only being hindered by himself. He needs to get better because the coach has a job to do and that's put the best players on the court.

WaDe03
01-17-2019, 10:58 PM
Shams just reported the exact opposite of what you all are saying. Mavs say Dennis has been a great teammate through it all and hasn’t requested a trade.

Scoots
01-17-2019, 11:10 PM
His development is only being hindered by himself. He needs to get better because the coach has a job to do and that's put the best players on the court.

I get what you are saying, but the coach absolutely plays a part. If the coach told him what he needs to do and tried to help him get there and he failed then it's on Dennis, but if the coach doesn't do that then he's not doing his job.

Steve Kerr knows development is a weakness of his so he employs multiple development coaches and he tells them what he's looking for for a player to get PT ... then it's the dev coach and the player working to show the coach what he wants in practice to earn the PT he wants.

Defense, as they say, is mostly about effort, so from that perspective it is mostly about Dennis no question.

ewing
01-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Seriously this guy is in his second year, shot under 40% from the field, and he has the gall to make demands and not show up. Wtf

ewing
01-17-2019, 11:12 PM

Think he is willing to give back the money and stop getting paid?

Tg11
01-18-2019, 12:48 AM
I get what you are saying, but the coach absolutely plays a part. If the coach told him what he needs to do and tried to help him get there and he failed then it's on Dennis, but if the coach doesn't do that then he's not doing his job.

Steve Kerr knows development is a weakness of his so he employs multiple development coaches and he tells them what he's looking for for a player to get PT ... then it's the dev coach and the player working to show the coach what he wants in practice to earn the PT he wants.

Defense, as they say, is mostly about effort, so from that perspective it is mostly about Dennis no question.

DSJ has to put the work in but Dallas clearly needs better development