PDA

View Full Version : 8 seed in the west- who gets it

Giannis94
01-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Seems like the top 7 are starting to separate themselves. Log-jam near the 8th spot. Who y'all think will get it. I'm gonna guess Utah!

mightybosstone
01-10-2019, 03:38 PM
I'm not sold on all of the top 7 just yet, though. The Clippers still jump out to me. They definitely have the feel of those Hawks and Nuggets teams from a few years back where they just had a lot of really good players who gelled together despite not having a star. But Gallo being this healthy for this long still seems like an anomaly to me. The dude hasn't played in 70+ games since 2013.

Also, I think it's unfair to say that the top 7 are separating themselves when the Lakers are sitting at No. 8 and are only one game back of the 6/7 seed and two games back of the 4/5 seed. If Lebron comes back, the Lakers' playoff chances immediately shoot up exponentially.

I do agree with you, though, that Utah is the one team outside the top 8 that poses the greatest threat to make the postseason. Their first-half schedule has been brutal, and they were insanely good down the stretch last season. I'd be a little surprised if they didn't find a way to make the playoffs this year.

TheDish87
01-10-2019, 05:18 PM
prob the Lakers

buckalis
01-10-2019, 05:26 PM
I'm not sold on all of the top 7 just yet, though. The Clippers still jump out to me. They definitely have the feel of those Hawks and Nuggets teams from a few years back where they just had a lot of really good players who gelled together despite not having a star. But Gallo being this healthy for this long still seems like an anomaly to me. The dude hasn't played in 70+ games since 2013.

Also, I think it's unfair to say that the top 7 are separating themselves when the Lakers are sitting at No. 8 and are only one game back of the 6/7 seed and two games back of the 4/5 seed. If Lebron comes back, the Lakers' playoff chances immediately shoot up exponentially.

I do agree with you, though, that Utah is the one team outside the top 8 that poses the greatest threat to make the postseason. Their first-half schedule has been brutal, and they were insanely good down the stretch last season. I'd be a little surprised if they didn't find a way to make the playoffs this year.

I think one can safely say that GSW and Nuggets are safely in... my 3rd & 4th safe bet would go with the Rockets and Lakers, simply because of Harden and Lebron not giving up being contenders...

After these four is chaos... 10 teams for 4 places... It would surprise me though if the Thunder won't take one out of these four spots...

dhopisthename
01-10-2019, 07:32 PM
I don't think you can pencil any team in the playoffs in the west when all it would take right now is 7.5 games to fall out. you can probably pencil the warriors in, but outside of them not sure. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwecjf-VAAE0rBp.jpg is a interesting look at the rest of the way. Look specifically at OKC and UTA

mightybosstone
01-10-2019, 07:41 PM
I don't think you can pencil any team in the playoffs in the west when all it would take right now is 7.5 games to fall out. you can probably pencil the warriors in, but outside of them not sure. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dwecjf-VAAE0rBp.jpg is a interesting look at the rest of the way. Look specifically at OKC and UTA

That's a really interesting graphic. The other thing that jumps out to me is just how much easier the schedules clearly are for Eastern Conference teams vs. Western Conference teams. Look at Milwaukee and Boston's schedules compared to teams like Phoenix, Memphis and Minnesota. The quality of the opponents are just obviously harder in the West throughout the season than in the East.

Scoots
01-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Hehe.

There is no way to call it. The 6 teams out of the playoffs right now were all in the top 8 earlier in the season. Anything can happen.

JAZZNC
01-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Boooo censorship!

zookman65
01-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Should lock in to the current 8 teams. Lakers currently in 8 spot but when LeBron returns they will solidify their spot which means look at the differential between the current 7 seed and 9th seed. No way they catch up most likely as it is more than 5 games.

mightybosstone
01-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Should lock in to the current 8 teams. Lakers currently in 8 spot but when LeBron returns they will solidify their spot which means look at the differential between the current 7 seed and 9th seed. No way they catch up most likely as it is more than 5 games.

Huh? The difference between the 7 seed and 9 seed is 3.5 games. And the 9 seed (Utah) had the most difficult schedule in the NBA the first half of the season. I still think Utah gets in, and I think the Clippers are the team to watch that could fall out.

The other team to watch that will almost certainly fall down the standings a few spots is OKC. They've lost 4 of their last 10, including three straight, and their second-half schedule is one of the hardest in the league.

tp13baby
01-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Last 2 years being a Nuggets fan, each year one team gets incredibly hot in the second half of the season when they were on the outside looking in at all star break.

Driven
01-13-2019, 12:07 AM
That's a really interesting graphic. The other thing that jumps out to me is just how much easier the schedules clearly are for Eastern Conference teams vs. Western Conference teams. Look at Milwaukee and Boston's schedules compared to teams like Phoenix, Memphis and Minnesota. The quality of the opponents are just obviously harder in the West throughout the season than in the East.

2 teams in the East have winning records against teams that are above .500 crazy.

I think the Jazz get into the playoffs, with the Clippers being the odd man out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakerfan85
01-13-2019, 01:53 AM
The team that finishes ahead of the ninth seed but below the seventh seed..

jaydubb
01-13-2019, 01:59 AM
The team that finishes ahead of the ninth seed but below the seventh seed..

This could be true actually...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanjay
01-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Last 2 years being a Nuggets fan, each year one team gets incredibly hot in the second half of the season when they were on the outside looking in at all star break.

I am going Pelicans or Mavericks.

More-Than-Most
01-13-2019, 04:32 AM
Pelicans or Mavs... Most will try to say the lakers but once bron returns they will win and get a top 5 seed.

mightybosstone
01-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Pelicans or Mavs... Most will try to say the lakers but once bron returns they will win and get a top 5 seed.

Hmm.... This is an interesting take. So not only do the Lakers get in in this scenario, but the Jazz are out and another team currently in the top 8 would have to be out for the Pels or Mavs to be in. Which team do you see falling out of the playoffs, and why are the Pelicans or Mavericks going to finish with a better record than the Jazz and that team?

Personally, I just don't see this happening. They're 2.5 and 3 games out of the playoffs, respectively, and they'd have to surpass the Jazz (who have the easiest schedule in the league) and one other team who is even further ahead of them than the Lakers.

buckalis
01-13-2019, 12:36 PM
I think the most probable scenario is that the Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Spurs & Lakers should considered as favorites to qualify for the playoffs and then two out of Blazers, Clippers & Jazz will take the remaining seeds...

Giannis94
01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
The reason I have a hard time leaving the Jazz out is that they have too much talent. Same with Blazers. Lakers are questionable outside Lebron. clippers seem like the best well coached. Mabs are tbd but if doncic keeps this up it will make things interesting.

Scoots
01-13-2019, 03:09 PM
The Lakers, Clippers, and Thunder have all lost 2 or more games in the standings to the teams behind them in the last 10 games ... it's not like teams making up 3-6 games in 40 games is impossible.

Injuries will be key for the teams in the top 8 now and in general younger teams struggle down the stretch which makes it less likely the young Kings, Mavs, or Wolves suddenly race up the standings.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-14-2019, 08:58 AM
Trade deadline will help out the buyers. I'm sure LeBron is pestering Magic Johnson to get something cooking.

Wrigheyes4MVP
01-14-2019, 12:53 PM
I think the 8 teams currently in will stay in. The seeding will not be the same, but I got those 8 teams.

If there is one team that seems vulnerable to miss out, it's the Clippers. But, I have to say that every time I've watched the Clippers play, I've been super impressed, so I'm gonna stick with them to remain in the playoffs even if they drop to a lower seed.

kobe4thewinbang
01-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Personal pick would be the Mavericks. Really digging Doncic. They're pretty far back, though. If they make a trade deadline splash, ya never know. Kings are the success story this season, we shall see where they end up, but an appearance is doubtful. Dark horse would be the Timberwolves. Pelicans need to make a move, if they want to keep AD happy. Grizzlies becoming a toxic team again, which is unfortunate. Clippers I see as the only team with a real chance of bowing out, especially if Gallo gets hurt again. They've been a pleasant surprise, but Utah is on a good win streak right now already. I see Rockets knocking Clippers down. And as much as I dislike the lack of vision/future for the OKC Thunder, they're not missing the playoffs. Spurs have been impressive, especially flashes by Aldridge & DeRozan.

My eight teams out west, w/o order:

Warriors
Nuggets
Rockets
Blazers
Thunder
Lakers
Spurs
Jazz

Scoots
01-14-2019, 09:10 PM
I said injuries would be key ... Rockets may be without Capela for 6 weeks, that's going to hurt a lot. Nene, Criss, and Harenstein combined have less than 500 minutes this year so far, 1/3 of what Capela has played. I suspect their buyout priorities just changed.

Stay away from Robin Lopez ... he's going to be a Warrior.

tredigs
01-14-2019, 11:35 PM
Lakers were my preseason guess. Sticking with that. Even with Bron they were under a +2 win differential, which is about what you expect from a West 7-9 seed.

Vinny642
01-15-2019, 02:10 AM
Pelicans are finally getting healthy, and we are trying to make a move for a wing player, most recent name was Ross.
Also we are playing a lot better recently being healthy.

If Ross is a Pelican, there is too much talent not to be a playoff team.

Saddletramp
01-15-2019, 03:14 AM
I said injuries would be key ... Rockets may be without Capela for 6 weeks, that's going to hurt a lot. Nene, Criss, and Harenstein combined have less than 500 minutes this year so far, 1/3 of what Capela has played. I suspect their buyout priorities just changed.

Robin Lopez makes about the same as Brandon Knight. Of course, Lopez is expiring and Knight has one more year at that price and I doubt the Bulls want that going forward.......you never know, though.

mightybosstone
01-15-2019, 08:31 AM

It hurts, but I don't think it will hurt quite as much as you think. The Rockets are one of the more effective small ball teams in the league, and their schedule over the next month is a lot easier than it's been over the last few weeks. Houston will be in. Mark my words.