PDA

View Full Version : Who Had the Most Unguardable Post-Up Fadeaway Shot?

Redrum187
01-02-2019, 01:11 AM
Who had the most unguardable post-up fadeaway shot?

Michael Jordan
https://i.imgur.com/IanHhzp.gif

Dirk Nowitzki
https://i.imgur.com/BZC3HuN.gif

Kobe Bryant
https://i.imgur.com/roz7gNh.gif

[Note: This is not who was the best player (Jordan) or who had the sexiest looking shot (Dirk); it's who had the most unguardable post-up fadeaway shot.]

Leftcoast_yg
01-02-2019, 02:03 AM
As a bball fan i would say Rasheed wallace as a Lakers fan Kobe Jelly Bean Bryant. They both knew how to adjust according to the player guarding them making it unstoppable.

lakerfan85
01-02-2019, 02:34 AM
Mj..

Heediot
01-02-2019, 02:41 AM
Jordan didn't have the best per se, but he knew how to utilize it best to help his team win. That triangle offense was a well oiled machine, and super effective with him as the focal point. Even when he retired for a small stretch, the team kept chugging along because everyone knew their roles within that system. I don't think they were as stacked as others, but they had guys who fit the system well. Guys like Longley, Kukoc, Pippen all fared worse outside that system. Ron Harper did better outside the bulls system when he was younger. You could say Pippen was on the decline either way when he left the Bulls, but his scoring dropped pretty fast once he left.

TheMightyHumph
01-02-2019, 03:40 AM
Wilt

FlashBolt
01-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Kobe had the better post moves but Jordan's hang time allowed him to get a better shot. I'd go with MJ and Kobe close 2nd.

R. Johnson#3
01-02-2019, 09:16 AM
If itís JUST the fadeaway then the answer is Dirk. That leg kick creates so much space and on top of already being 7 feet tall.

If itís overall post game then itís MJ.

IndyRealist
01-02-2019, 09:20 AM
I'm sure there's somewhere you can look up FG% for post up fadaways, minimum x attempts. Where is currently escaping me tho.

FlashBolt
01-02-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm sure there's somewhere you can look up FG% for post up fadaways, minimum x attempts. Where is currently escaping me tho.

Would be a rather abnormal stat to track but if someone can find it, I'd like to know as well.

FlashBolt
01-02-2019, 09:27 AM

http://nbasavant.com/shot_search.php?hfST=19%7C20%7C&hfQ=1%7C2%7C3%7C4%7Cot%7C&hfSZB=two%7C1%7C&hfSZA=&hfSZR=&ddlYear=&txtGameDateGT=&txtGameDateLT=&ddlGameTimeGT_min=&ddlGameTimeGT_sec=&ddlGameTimeLT_min=&ddlGameTimeLT_sec=&ddlShotDistanceGT=&ddlShotDistanceLT=&ddlTeamShooting=&ddlTeamDefense=&hfPT=&ddlGroupBy=player&ddlOrderBy=shots_made_desc&hfGT=0%7C&ddlShotMade=&ddlMin=0#results

I found this. Not sure how accurate it is but Dirk and Kobe are definitely very high on the list. Don't think this site tracks back to Jordan's prime so probably not going to find a stat for him.

Edit: Only tracks onward from 2010 so this cuts off the majority of Kobe/Dirk's prime.

IndyRealist
01-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Would be a rather abnormal stat to track but if someone can find it, I'd like to know as well.

SportVU has changed all that. They are tracking and categorizing every play of every game. Whether the public has access to that data is another matter, but it's definitely being done.

That's one reason why people who dismiss analytics are so off. What we see is at minimum 5 years old. The stuff teams are looking at would blow your mind.

Giannis94
01-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Giannis and not joking

Hawkeye15
01-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Of the listed, Dirk.

Tg11
01-02-2019, 12:15 PM
I say Jordan

ewing
01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
All were unstoppable. Jordan was the hardest to push off his spot so he was the best.

Tg11
01-02-2019, 12:31 PM
How about AI in his prime when he was playin for the Sixers...his fadeaway on top of that crossover back in the day or how about T-Mac's fadeaway

D-Leethal
01-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Oh how I miss watching fundamental post play.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Oh how I miss watching fundamental post play.

I kinda do, but kinda don't. Like was there anything more boring than watching a Rockets Charles Barkley catch the ball in the post and back his guy up like he was a 55 year old at the Y?

Chronz
01-02-2019, 02:10 PM
How is it not Dirk? He literally had his best postseason well after his prime because of that one move. When mj, kobe faded you were at least happy they didn't dunk on you, with dirk, it was literally all about hope. Wilts fadeaway wasn't that accurate from most accounts and opponents have stated how happy they were to force him into it. His finger roll was killer from range tho

Chronz
01-02-2019, 02:11 PM
I kinda do, but kinda don't. Like was there anything more boring than watching a Rockets Charles Barkley catch the ball in the post and back his guy up like he was a 55 year old at the Y?

Watching them unable to double because he had a guards vision was beautiful to me. You could not stop sir Charles. Besides he mixed it up more than the fake stars of his time

Redrum187
01-02-2019, 02:12 PM
I like to think I can be objective while still wanting to get molested by Dirk... I think Dirk's one legged fadeaway was more unguardable. Of course Kobe and Jordan's quickness and footwork were so insane that they were able to have success with their fadeaways, I just think Dirk was a little nastier in that regard.

I agree, I would love to see the stats if there are any of all 3 players.

Tg11
01-02-2019, 02:29 PM
How about Durant's fadeaway...pretty unguardable or how about LeBron?

D-Leethal
01-02-2019, 03:25 PM

If it comes along with Dream Shakes, Shaq drop-steps, Jordan fades, and Duncan up-and-unders I'll take the bad with the good.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2019, 03:43 PM
How is it not Dirk? He literally had his best postseason well after his prime because of that one move. When mj, kobe faded you were at least happy they didn't dunk on you, with dirk, it was literally all about hope. Wilts fadeaway wasn't that accurate from most accounts and opponents have stated how happy they were to force him into it. His finger roll was killer from range tho

exactly what I was thinking when I answered haha

Hawkeye15
01-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Watching them unable to double because he had a guards vision was beautiful to me. You could not stop sir Charles. Besides he mixed it up more than the fake stars of his time

you couldn't double because his fat *** took up the necessary room to double.

In today's league, I think he would be the ultimate PF though. My god

Redrum187
01-02-2019, 07:57 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Vee-Rex
01-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Most unguardable implies that a defender has little to no chance to stop it and can only put a hand up and hope.

It's really Dirk.

I've seen guys like raja bell and Ron artest disrupt kobe's fadeaway. Jordan had his blocked/stripped as well by guys of similar stature.

But there wasn't much you could do to defend Dirk's. Arms extended with that 7 ft frame, knee out in front of him. Outside of kareems sky hook it might be the most unguardable shot.

Chronz
01-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Most unguardable implies that a defender has little to no chance to stop it and can only put a hand up and hope.

It's really Dirk.

I've seen guys like raja bell and Ron artest disrupt kobe's fadeaway. Jordan had his blocked/stripped as well by guys of similar stature.

But there wasn't much you could do to defend Dirk's. Arms extended with that 7 ft frame, knee out in front of him. Outside of kareems sky hook it might be the most unguardable shot.

Would you wager kaj hook was above 40%

Vee-Rex
01-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Would you wager kaj hook was above 40%

Nope lol.

But I do think to measure 'unguardable' it also include the defender's chance of stopping/influencing the shot, not just efficiency.

Tg11
01-03-2019, 08:07 AM
LeBron James when he hits that fadeaway you have little to no chance of stopping it

ManningToTyree
01-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Dirk was the most ungardable fade away when you consider his height combined with the separation heíd get by extending his leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
01-03-2019, 09:44 AM
LeBron James when he hits that fadeaway you have little to no chance of stopping it

When anyone hits a fadeaway, you didn't stop it. :shrug:

Hawkeye15
01-03-2019, 11:45 AM

It's really Dirk.

remember when Jax was able to get into Dirk's space and make life miserable in that first round upset? Dirk literally came back next season with that fade, and it couldn't be stopped.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2019, 11:45 AM
When anyone hits a fadeaway, you didn't stop it. :shrug:

whatever team scores more points usually wins the game.

Lakers_ftw
01-04-2019, 12:30 PM
James Edwards says hello to this thread

Jeffy25
01-05-2019, 05:40 AM
Of these three, Dirk.

7 footer's release point is so damn high that you gotta have an insane reach to have a chance.

MJ was the quickest to get to the release though

No idea what each shot out of the fade though, but that would be a factor in here too.

TrueFan420
01-05-2019, 12:52 PM
My votes for Dirk

YAALREADYKNO
01-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Itís Dirk. Got everybody doing the one legged fadeaway now

Chronz
01-05-2019, 02:24 PM
So we all agree, anyone who doesn't say Dirk, should be banned for a week.