PDA

View Full Version : John Wall out for year

Heediot
12-29-2018, 10:04 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25639878/wizards-john-wall-surgery-heel-season

Do they tank now?

Listen to offers for Beal?

Flip Ariza to a real contender?

ewing
12-29-2018, 11:16 PM
All of the above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrueFan420
12-30-2018, 12:13 AM
Tank

Keep Beal

Flip Ariza for a first if they can

Tg11
12-30-2018, 01:57 AM
Tank is the only option now

More-Than-Most
12-30-2018, 05:07 AM
if they dont flip beal/ariza/porter they get what they deserve, Id flip those guys and tank for zion then trade wall asap next off season.

IndyRealist
12-30-2018, 08:13 AM
if they dont flip beal/ariza/porter they get what they deserve, Id flip those guys and tank for zion then trade wall asap next off season.

Would you not want a team ready built around Zion if he's a generational talent like everyone says? I can see flipping Ariza, because his value is in his expiring contract. But as much as I dislike Beal, you're getting pennies on the dollar if you move him, and you're likely trading away picks to move Porter or Wall. You can mandate limited minutes or even shut down Beal and Porter and this team is practically guaranteed to be bottom 3. Run out Markieff Morris, Ian Mahimni, Jeff Green, Troy Brown, and Ron Baker, and they don't win 5 more games.

buckalis
12-30-2018, 09:17 AM
I don't think that the Wizzards will move Wall... His injury will keep him out until next season starts, but it's not one that will cause concerns on his future performance... It seems that this season's performance of Wall was influenced by the injury.

Never the less, I do believe that the Wizzards will move Beal and Porter by the trade deadline this season, so that they can free cap space for next season and hit hard in the upcoming free agency and draft...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Wall had a trade kicker for this season anyway. With him out now with injury. Good time to tank. Trade the core for picks and rookie contracts and expiring's and try to move some dead weight.

Tg11
12-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Tanking is the only option now especially if you trying to land Zion

warfelg
12-30-2018, 10:16 AM
Wizards are screwed. They had to extend Wall or you lose him for nothing. But now his salary is not anywhere close to what he is worth. The absolute downside of the max contract.

And if they make a bunch of trades to tank, it means they still have Wall next year too which means they will still be hampered with the same issues as this year.

The should be serious about trading Beal right now. Try to see if you can tack on Porter to get out from that contract. Flip Ariza and Morris for late 1sts. Hire Sam Hinkie.

Vee-Rex
12-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Tanking is the only option now especially if you trying to land Zion

Zion will be with the Cavs next year

Chronz
12-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Zion will be with the Cavs next year
True, i'm already on season 7 of zion with Cleveland, kyrie came back

warfelg
12-30-2018, 11:52 AM
The lottery odds are flat this year for 1-3 BTW. Donít forget that you tankers.

buckalis
12-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Wall had a trade kicker for this season anyway. With him out now with injury. Good time to tank. Trade the core for picks and rookie contracts and expiring's and try to move some dead weight.

IMO, Porter will end to Bulls for Jabari + smth and Beal will end playing in the playoffs for the Bucks as part of a deal that will include more teams involved.

LaVar Ball
12-30-2018, 03:10 PM
John Wall is fat and sucks donkey balls

GREATNESS ONE
12-30-2018, 03:18 PM
John Wall is fat and sucks donkey balls

But he makes 40m...

LaVar Ball
12-30-2018, 03:28 PM
But he makes 40m...

Yuuuucckkkk

warfelg
12-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Like I said, Wall is too good not to max, sucks enough that he's not worth trading for on the max.

This is the downside of max contracts, bird rights, and no lost player compensation.

FlashBolt
12-31-2018, 09:34 PM
Wizards are screwed. They had to extend Wall or you lose him for nothing. But now his salary is not anywhere close to what he is worth. The absolute downside of the max contract.

And if they make a bunch of trades to tank, it means they still have Wall next year too which means they will still be hampered with the same issues as this year.

The should be serious about trading Beal right now. Try to see if you can tack on Porter to get out from that contract. Flip Ariza and Morris for late 1sts. Hire Sam Hinkie.

The simple thing to do would be for all teams to stop overpaying for players. They're all bidding because they think some other team will steal that player away. It usually doesn't end well and teams are stuck with bad contracts. It's the bystander effect in a weird way. You think someone will do something and they don't, boom, you're left with a bad contract. In Wall's case, he likely gets that contract offer from another team but only because they're all so desperate in trying to outbid the other team. If teams could pay players less, they would. They don't enjoy paying players the max - they just think they have to.

warfelg
01-01-2019, 05:27 PM
The simple thing to do would be for all teams to stop overpaying for players. They're all bidding because they think some other team will steal that player away. It usually doesn't end well and teams are stuck with bad contracts. It's the bystander effect in a weird way. You think someone will do something and they don't, boom, you're left with a bad contract. In Wall's case, he likely gets that contract offer from another team but only because they're all so desperate in trying to outbid the other team. If teams could pay players less, they would. They don't enjoy paying players the max - they just think they have to.

I agree, but easier said than done. And it would take mass collusion to get that done. So best thing to do is mass changes to the salary structure.

dhopisthename
01-02-2019, 02:05 AM
I agree, but easier said than done. And it would take mass collusion to get that done. So best thing to do is mass changes to the salary structure.

yep all it takes is one team to make an offer to a sub max guy and all of the sudden you are faced with maxing him or losing him. the way the NBA is built you just can't replace even someone like wall very easily at all.

Heediot
01-02-2019, 02:32 AM
yep all it takes is one team to make an offer to a sub max guy and all of the sudden you are faced with maxing him or losing him. the way the NBA is built you just can't replace even someone like wall very easily at all.

yeah sometimes there are desperate gms willing to sign someone, other times teams work hard to create cap and they want to sign someone and/or use that cap. Every team has at least 2 max slots available, so that's 60 max contacts at least. If your Wall and a top 50-75 player, not saying that's were he is/isn't, your more than likely going to get a max. Too much money out there for guys who don't really deserve the max. like you sqid it only takes one team to be a threat and with bird rights it's easier to try to re-sign the guy especially if you don't have room to replace him with another big free agent signing. would the wiz rather have wall-beal-other bad contracts or beal and other bad contracts?

Tg11
01-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Now the 10 teams I can see John Wall being traded to or that he would be a good fit on:

10- Los Angeles Lakers
9- Minnesota Timberwolves
8- New York Knicks
7- Orlando Magic
6- Phoenix Suns

5- Indiana Pacers; Oladipo and Wall together would be pretty impressive

4- San Antonio Spurs; with him creating a Big 3 with him, DeRozan and Aldridge but if anyone could get the best out of Wall it is Popovich

3- New Orleans Pelicans; create a Dynamic Duo with him and AD

2- Detroit Pistons to create a Big 3 with him, Blake and Drummond; pretty formidable

1- Miami Heat would be the frontrunner to get Wall and honestly Miami would probably be the best fit for John