PDA

View Full Version : When Should The Rockets Consider Trading Chris Paul?

LaVar Ball
12-25-2018, 04:15 PM
With his age, attrition and injury history, he is easily the worst contract in the NBA right now. It's all downhill from here for him.

When should the Rockets look to trade him and widen their championship window?

Chronz
12-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Immediately. It just depends on what you're trying to salvage. Would you take mahinmi for him? Would the wizards even take him? Maybe a team like the suns

Clips won both the cp3 and blake trade.

Giannis94
12-25-2018, 04:26 PM
I think the Knciks and Lakers are the best fits. Lebron could probably get the most out of CP3. REason I say knicks is because it just feels like a move the knicks would make.

FlashBolt
12-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Hate to say I told you so but this will be a contract you would have to regard as a negative value. I didn't think it would be this year but unfortunately, it is. CP3 is constantly injured, unreliable, and only getting older. Rockets understandably thought they would be just as good and didn't want to piss off CP3 (NBPA president) who has a lot of leverage in the league but I don't think there is anyone here who thinks this is worth it.

Scoots
12-25-2018, 05:20 PM
I don't know that there is a team in a place to trade for him.

More-Than-Most
12-25-2018, 05:23 PM
they are stuck with that contract and they def shouldnt trade him because they are stuck with their current situation... The ideal thing would be to trade Harden for a **** ton and go from there because they have no real shot at winning anyhow but who knows... At this point you gotta pray cp3 returns to form come playoffs.

Chronz
12-25-2018, 05:25 PM
they are stuck with that contract and they def shouldnt trade him because they are stuck with their current situation... The ideal thing would be to trade Harden for a **** ton and go from there because they have no real shot at winning anyhow but who knows... At this point you gotta pray cp3 returns to form come playoffs.

He's going to have his final playoff run for sure. They just need to make it there

More-Than-Most
12-25-2018, 05:25 PM
I don't know that there is a team in a place to trade for him.

the lakers could but shouldnt... the only other option really would be the nets maybe?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-25-2018, 06:35 PM
no chance with that disgusting contract

mightybosstone
12-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Trading him now if you're Houston would be idiotic. He's banged up, on the first year of a long, massive deal and is playing some of the worst basketball of his career. Nobody would trade for him right now, and if they did, it would require an insane amount of assets to make it happen.

But I also think the Rockets are a much better team WITH CP3 and they'd be stupid to try to trade him right now. Is he banged up? Yes. Is he playing below his standards? Without a doubt. But if he gets healthy in time to make a playoff run, none of that will inevitably matter. The Rockets don't need him to be healthy for 70-80 games a season. They need him to be healthy for enough games for them to be a top 3-4 seed and be healthy in the postseason.

mightybosstone
12-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Immediately. It just depends on what you're trying to salvage. Would you take mahinmi for him? Would the wizards even take him? Maybe a team like the suns

Really? I'm pretty sure it was the Rockets winning 65 games last year and pushing the Warriors to 7 games, not the Clippers. No way would Houston have done that with Beverley, Harrell, Dekker and Lou Will.

TakeYourL
12-25-2018, 07:31 PM
I said it before the season that the rockets had their shot last year and they would have a downfall this year.

Adding melo and signing cp3 was a desperate attempt to make a push. Very Knicks type move.

I don't know what teams are thinking when they hand out these contracts.

If you can move on from cp3 you jump at that chance.

Also unrelated, but NBA really needs to give teams a way out of these contracts, that contact could destroy any ability rockets have to regroup for years. It's so pointless to allow this to continue.

Scoots
12-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Trading him now if you're Houston would be idiotic. He's banged up, on the first year of a long, massive deal and is playing some of the worst basketball of his career. Nobody would trade for him right now, and if they did, it would require an insane amount of assets to make it happen.

But I also think the Rockets are a much better team WITH CP3 and they'd be stupid to try to trade him right now. Is he banged up? Yes. Is he playing below his standards? Without a doubt. But if he gets healthy in time to make a playoff run, none of that will inevitably matter. The Rockets don't need him to be healthy for 70-80 games a season. They need him to be healthy for enough games for them to be a top 3-4 seed and be healthy in the postseason.

It wouldn't take "an insane amount of assets" ... the contract being huge means the Rockets return would be dramatically less.

Scoots
12-25-2018, 08:44 PM
I said it before the season that the rockets had their shot last year and they would have a downfall this year.

Adding melo and signing cp3 was a desperate attempt to make a push. Very Knicks type move.

I don't know what teams are thinking when they hand out these contracts.

If you can move on from cp3 you jump at that chance.

Also unrelated, but NBA really needs to give teams a way out of these contracts, that contact could destroy any ability rockets have to regroup for years. It's so pointless to allow this to continue.

People hate it when teams get extra chances to be good/stay good. The ability of a team to just walk away from a huge contract would infuriate people.

Chronz
12-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Really? I'm pretty sure it was the Rockets winning 65 games last year and pushing the Warriors to 7 games, not the Clippers. No way would Houston have done that with Beverley, Harrell, Dekker and Lou Will.
Ive seen the rockets push the champion Lakers to, felt neither team really had a chance. 2 star team vs a historically unprecedented talent base. Idc about 7 games, I saw them manhandle the rockets when necessary despite injuries

mightybosstone
12-25-2018, 09:15 PM
It wouldn't take "an insane amount of assets" ... the contract being huge means the Rockets return would be dramatically less.

No dude. You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying the Rockets would have to give up the assets. They'd probably have to give up picks and take on other bad contracts to make a team bite on Paul.

c.c.
12-25-2018, 09:58 PM
This thread is entertaining

FlashBolt
12-25-2018, 10:27 PM

Well, the reality is this might be the norm of CP3. We're expecting too much from guys like him because he's been so established that it's quite bizarre that such a dropoff is possible. Part of this is also LeBron's doing because CP3 came after LeBron did and yet, LeBron is still doing insane things. One thing we know about CP3 is he gets injured often. I don't think that will change as he gets older. These injuries are only going to start piling up even more and take longer for him to recover.

FlashBolt
12-25-2018, 10:28 PM
With that being said, as much as I dislike the refs giving Harden the most favorable (and undeserving) calls of any NBA superstar, Harden has been sensational. Without him, the Rockets would be one of the worst teams in the league.

brandt
12-25-2018, 10:31 PM

Clips did not win the cp3 trade. Maybe in the long run but so far itís the Rockets. One game away from the championship which wouldnít have happened with those other guys that the Rockets had, and if Chris was healthy they probably would have won it all.

zookman65
12-25-2018, 10:44 PM
As great as he has been in the regular season over a long career, the guy has come up small way too often in the post season when being up 3 to 1 against Warriors last year (the all too frequent injury) and against San Antonio a few years back. With all the opportunities he has had on some pretty good teams he is yet to make it to a Finals and by the looks of it may never play in one.

Scoots
12-25-2018, 10:56 PM
No dude. You're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm saying the Rockets would have to give up the assets. They'd probably have to give up picks and take on other bad contracts to make a team bite on Paul.

Okay. I don't know that they'd have to give up too many assets, but they would absolutely have to eat some bad contracts.

mightybosstone
12-25-2018, 11:34 PM
Ive seen the rockets push the champion Lakers to, felt neither team really had a chance. 2 star team vs a historically unprecedented talent base. Idc about 7 games, I saw them manhandle the rockets when necessary despite injuries

You and I have VERY different opinions on those two series.

Against the Lakers in 08-09, that Rockets team was just a damn good matchup, but they were overachieving like crazy. They had no T-Mac, the Lakers had no answer for Aaron Brooks and Yao was doing Yao things for those first few games before he goes down. But they never had any chance after the Yao injury, and Brooks had to play out of his mind for Houston to even be competitive. Even if Houston gets to the next round, I seriously doubt they go any further.

But last year's Rockets team was legit. You're talking about a 65-win team that beat the Warriors for the top seed and won the season series against them. You're talking about the only team since Durant joined the Warriors to push them to six games (much less seven) and the only team to beat them at home. That Rockets team was literally built to beat the Warriors and unlike the 08-09 team, they were drastically underachieving, yet still had them on the ropes up 3-2 before the Paul injury at the end of Game 5.

The 08-09 Rockets team was a fun story and a team I remember fondly, but that team had zero chance to win the championship, and when they inevitably lost, no Rockets fan on the planet felt that bad about it. The team last year was maybe the single most talented team in the history of the franchise. They were an offensive juggernaut with an elite-level defense and two Hall-of-Fame creators playing at a high level. And when Paul's hammy struck, it was devastating.

As a Rockets fan, please don't try to compare the two scenarios. They're not remotely the same.

mightybosstone
12-25-2018, 11:39 PM
As great as he has been in the regular season over a long career, the guy has come up small way too often in the post season when being up 3 to 1 against Warriors last year (the all too frequent injury) and against San Antonio a few years back. With all the opportunities he has had on some pretty good teams he is yet to make it to a Finals and by the looks of it may never play in one.
What are you talking about? They weren't up 3-1 against the Warriors last year. They were up 3-2, and Paul didn't play in Games 6 or 7. You can't put the lost series last year on anything Paul did on the court.

Okay. I don't know that they'd have to give up too many assets, but they would absolutely have to eat some bad contracts.
All the more reason not to deal Paul now. Would you rather have a bunch of bad contracts for guys who are borderline role players or rotational guys? Or would your rather have Chris Paul playing at 80-90 percent his prime production who misses 20-30 games a season? I'd much, much, much rather have the latter.

If Paul plays enough time in the regular season for you to get a decent seed and can be healthy in the playoffs, he gives you a chance to make a deep playoff run. How many other "bad contract guys" out there are capable of doing that?

Scoots
12-26-2018, 12:24 AM
What are you talking about? They weren't up 3-1 against the Warriors last year. They were up 3-2, and Paul didn't play in Games 6 or 7. You can't put the lost series last year on anything Paul did on the court.

All the more reason not to deal Paul now. Would you rather have a bunch of bad contracts for guys who are borderline role players or rotational guys? Or would your rather have Chris Paul playing at 80-90 percent his prime production who misses 20-30 games a season? I'd much, much, much rather have the latter.

If Paul plays enough time in the regular season for you to get a decent seed and can be healthy in the playoffs, he gives you a chance to make a deep playoff run. How many other "bad contract guys" out there are capable of doing that?

I just don't think they would find a taker even if they did try to move him.

ldawg
12-26-2018, 01:24 AM
They cant.

zookman65
12-26-2018, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the correction. Yes they were up 3 to 2 and Chris leg injury likely did them in. Perhaps if Chris would stay in better shape and play 15 to 20 lbs lighter he wouldnt be as likely to tweak his hamstring as frequently as he does.

Heediot
12-26-2018, 07:31 AM
**** it.

I'd take him for Lowry. Even if Cp gets injured in the playoffs, Kyle ghosts himself anyways.

Only 1 year older vs. Kyle. Rox gotta give us a first at least to spice it up. Masai will turn that first into something nice.

Chronz
12-26-2018, 07:39 AM
You and I have VERY different opinions on those two series.

Against the Lakers in 08-09, that Rockets team was just a damn good matchup, but they were overachieving like crazy. They had no T-Mac, the Lakers had no answer for Aaron Brooks and Yao was doing Yao things for those first few games before he goes down. But they never had any chance after the Yao injury, and Brooks had to play out of his mind for Houston to even be competitive. Even if Houston gets to the next round, I seriously doubt they go any further.

But last year's Rockets team was legit. You're talking about a 65-win team that beat the Warriors for the top seed and won the season series against them. You're talking about the only team since Durant joined the Warriors to push them to six games (much less seven) and the only team to beat them at home. That Rockets team was literally built to beat the Warriors and unlike the 08-09 team, they were drastically underachieving, yet still had them on the ropes up 3-2 before the Paul injury at the end of Game 5.

The 08-09 Rockets team was a fun story and a team I remember fondly, but that team had zero chance to win the championship, and when they inevitably lost, no Rockets fan on the planet felt that bad about it. The team last year was maybe the single most talented team in the history of the franchise. They were an offensive juggernaut with an elite-level defense and two Hall-of-Fame creators playing at a high level. And when Paul's hammy struck, it was devastating.

As a Rockets fan, please don't try to compare the two scenarios. They're not remotely the same.

All that and they still went 7 games against the champs. Regardless of how you personally viewed those teams, my greater point is that idc about a 7 game series. Ive seen closer 6 game series for example.

Chronz
12-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Clips did not win the cp3 trade. Maybe in the long run but so far itís the Rockets. One game away from the championship which wouldnít have happened with those other guys that the Rockets had, and if Chris was healthy they probably would have won it all.

Yes I'm saying in the long run but I'll wait a few years before claiming that

ewing
12-26-2018, 09:43 AM
All that and they still went 7 games against the champs. Regardless of how you personally viewed those teams, my greater point is that idc about a 7 game series. Ive seen closer 6 game series for example.

You mean you thought the Warriors were going to smoke them going in so now you ignore what actually happened. Got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vee-Rex
12-26-2018, 09:51 AM
You kids are fun, but there's no point in trading CP3 when the return value isn't going to be anywhere near worth the Rockets losing their contender-ship.

mightybosstone
12-26-2018, 10:08 AM

Ahhh, so then you're just completely ignoring the context behind the loss for the sake of your own losing argument? I gotcha.

The Rockets won that trade, period. Let's break down what the Clippers actually got from the Rockets in that deal:
- Two seasons of Patrick Beverley, who's missed WAY more games than Paul has at this point
- One year of Montrezl Harrell, who signed a two-year deal last season and is a quality backup big
- One year of Lou Williams, who signed a three-year deal last season after a career year, but has since fallen off pretty significantly
- Sam Dekker, who is gone
- Three throw-in contracts that didn't matter
- One 1st round pick that eventually turned into Danillo Galinari

So they essentially traded for 1-2 years of a few quality rotational guys, a protected first rounder and some throw-n contracts. Dekker's gone and Beverley can't stay healthy. Harrell and Lou Will have been solid rotational pieces, but the main piece of the trade ended up being the 1st round pick that the Clippers gambled on in a trade for Gallo, who has been admittedly magnificent.

But the Gallo trade is still a gamble. His contract is still big, he still has a long injury history and (most importantly) that trade has nothing to do with the Rockets. Also, the Cilppers have been worse since losing Paul, and the Rockets have been better. And forget that they pushed the Warriors to seven games; the fact that they went to the conference finals in the first place tells me they won, because that was something Paul was never able to accomplish in his time in LA.

Bottom line, the Rockets won that trade. You never get fair value for a superstar player, and that definitely wasn't the case with that deal either. I'm happy to see the Clippers playing well and that some of these guys are still performing at a high level, but there's zero argument to be made for the Clippers winning after the season the Rockets had last year.

Scoots
12-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Ahhh, so then you're just completely ignoring the context behind the loss for the sake of your own losing argument? I gotcha.

The Rockets won that trade, period. Let's break down what the Clippers actually got from the Rockets in that deal:
- Two seasons of Patrick Beverley, who's missed WAY more games than Paul has at this point
- One year of Montrezl Harrell, who signed a two-year deal last season and is a quality backup big
- One year of Lou Williams, who signed a three-year deal last season after a career year, but has since fallen off pretty significantly

So they essentially traded for 1-2 years of a few quality rotational guys, a protected first rounder and some throw-n contracts. Dekker's gone and Beverley can't stay healthy. Harrell and Lou Will have been solid rotational pieces, but the main piece of the trade ended up being the 1st round pick that the Clippers gambled on in a trade for Gallo, who has been admittedly magnificent.

But the Gallo trade is still a gamble. His contract is still big, he still has a long injury history and (most importantly) that trade has nothing to do with the Rockets. Also, the Cilppers have been worse since losing Paul, and the Rockets have been better. And forget that they pushed the Warriors to seven games; the fact that they went to the conference finals in the first place tells me they won, because that was something Paul was never able to accomplish in his time in LA.

Bottom line, the Rockets won that trade. You never get fair value for a superstar player, and that definitely wasn't the case with that deal either. I'm happy to see the Clippers playing well and that some of these guys are still performing at a high level, but there's zero argument to be made for the Clippers winning after the season the Rockets had last year.

You could look at it as the Clippers got out of paying CP3 a whole lot of money too, because had they not traded him they would likely be saddled by that contract now.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2018, 10:50 AM

This. Let CP3 get as healthy as he can, then look at the situation next summer perhaps. But no need to just rip apart a team one year removed from 65 wins like that.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-26-2018, 01:27 PM
What is Morey coughing up to get rid of CP3? 4 first round picks?

Chronz
12-26-2018, 02:55 PM
You mean you thought the Warriors were going to smoke them going in so now you ignore what actually happened. Got it

Actually I thought 6 games, I got even less competition than I initially projected. Again, I've seen **** series go the distance where the outcome was never in jeopardy.

Chronz
12-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Apply all the context you desire, my winning argument remains the same.

We got out of paying a him. I don't see this aging well enough to offset the depth and flexibility this offseason will bring. I could be wrong, but if all you got was last year i'm loving it.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2018, 03:10 PM

correct me if I am wrong, but didn't GS go into the half down in both games 6-7, and then absolutely dismantle the Rox in the 2nd half of each?

Look, GS sleepwalked to a title. It happens. When a team is so good they get bored sometimes, and it takes a punch in the mouth to wake them up. Espeically considering it was Harden/Paul team. We all knew they would either choke or get hurt. And.....they did.

Play that series 20 times, I imagine GS win 18-19 of them. Many of them in 5-6 games.

Vee-Rex
12-26-2018, 03:21 PM
correct me if I am wrong, but didn't GS go into the half down in both games 6-7, and then absolutely dismantle the Rox in the 2nd half of each?

Look, GS sleepwalked to a title. It happens. When a team is so good they get bored sometimes, and it takes a punch in the mouth to wake them up. Espeically considering it was Harden/Paul team. We all knew they would either choke or get hurt. And.....they did.

Play that series 20 times, I imagine GS win 18-19 of them. Many of them in 5-6 games.

They're playing with fire doing that, though. While I can't call them chokers, still to this day I can't call Curry or KD not-chokers either.

Hawkeye15
12-26-2018, 04:50 PM
They're playing with fire doing that, though. While I can't call them chokers, still to this day I can't call Curry or KD not-chokers either.

of course they are. It's why dynasties are so incredibly hard to maintain-complacency. It's why we rarely see dynasties, yet we see teams that have no business losing to lesser opponents do just that.

LaVar Ball
12-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Rockets look better without CP3. Itís time they ship him now or before the trade deadline.

mightybosstone
12-30-2018, 05:04 PM
:laugh: Love it! You get so butt hurt about my post earlier that you felt the need to create one anti-Rockets thread and then bump another one. You stay classy, Lavar Ball! Your reputation is living up to your namesake. I respect you each about the same.

Chronz
12-30-2018, 06:18 PM

You can play with fire when you have such an unprecedented talent base. What you mean is that it inevitably catches up, that's true of all champions. What makes gs so different, is that they have so much talent they make people like me money even when you've underestimated them.

Call them chokers, when the talent is this strong, they are rarely challenged enough to choke. Its year 3 of a team that has never been challenged.