PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to the league after the Warriors win another NBA Championship?

TylerSL
12-24-2018, 01:46 AM
We all know that Golden State will win their third straight NBA title, and fourth title in five years, come June. We know that because they simply have too much talent to lose, even though they are not as deep as they used to be. Once DeMarcus Cousins starts playing the talent gap between them and the rest of the league will get just embarrassing.

Of the teams that would be their biggest challengers, the Lakers are too young and don't have another star next to Lebron. The Celtics have too many players who do the same thing on offense. The Raptors are deep and would probably pose the best chance of an upset, but Cousins will be such a game changer I would be shocked if the Raptors could get two wins. The Bucks, like the Lakers, don't have a star next to Giannis and he doesn't have an outside shot. Not that he wouldn't dominate in a series against the Warriors, but the Warriors have proven that one man can't beat them several times already.

Knowing all that, the Warriors will once again hoist the trophy in June. What comes after is what I am interested in. Both KD and Klay are unrestricted free agents after the season, as is Boogie who they have no chance at retaining. Kawhi Leonard, Kemba Walker, Kyrie Irving, and Jimmy Butler will all be free agents as well, along with a slew of other high-level starters. On top of all those free agents, the trade market will be active this offseason. Washington is going to blow up their team in the offseason, if not before. Wall will be traded, and possibly Beal as well since he would bring the most back. We should expect Anthony Davis to be made available due to him wanting a better opportunity to win, and the same thing could eventually be said about Damian Lillard (though maybe not this summer).

And that's not saying anything about this upcoming draft, where some lucky team will draft Zion Williamson, who is already the most hyped incoming player since Lebron James. There is going to be significant turnover after the season and it is impossible to know how the stars will align with all these possibilities. One thing is certain however, tomorrow's NBA will be much different than today's. What do you guys think will happen? As the season has progressed I am starting to think of scenarios of who will go where, or at least of what's possible, but it's the NBA and anything is possible. What's going to happen after this predictable, albeit wonderful, NBA season ends?

Leftcoast_yg
12-24-2018, 02:12 AM
Probably scratch ma' ball sack

Tg11
12-24-2018, 02:18 AM
Nothing happens cuz the Warriors be the standard when it comes to today's NBA

Scoots
12-24-2018, 02:40 AM
It depends pretty much entirely on free agency. If the Warriors keep their talent not much will change. If the right stars team up somewhere on a team with good young depth, things might change next year.

TylerSL
12-24-2018, 03:41 AM
One of my main thoughts, that I didn't want to include in the OP, is I think there is a possibility that Durant could accept a sign and trade to the Boston Celtics. If Durant decides to leave Golden State, while that would be a devastating blow for the franchise, sending him to Boston would be ideal for the Warriors. First of all, they would get some serious talent back, and secondly they would be stop him from joining Lebron on the Lakers. Of all the teams that he could leave for, Durant teaming with Lebron in Los Angeles would be the most devastating for the Warriors. Now, one may wonder why Durant would want to go to Boston, but I think they should be considered as one of the most desirable places for him. A trio of KD/Kyrie/Tatum would instantly make the Celtics the heavy favorites in the Eastern Conference even if Kawhi stays in Toronto. Forget about Philadelphia ever getting to the top, the East would belong to Boston for the foreseeable future, meaning more trips to the Finals and more chances at collecting rings for Durant. Durant would also have an even greater opportunity to be the top dog in Boston because nobody else on that team will be able to shoot or score like him. While possibly less efficient, his numbers could even go up, meaning more opportunities at league MVP. Also don't forget about Brad Stevens, one of the premiere coaches in the NBA. Ainge is also one of the best executives and Durant was very impressed with the Celtics pitch back in 2016. (https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-celtics/blakely-kevin-durant-seriously-considering-boston-celtics).

In the theoretical Durant-to-Boston sign and trade in my imagination, the Warriors would receive Hayward, Brown, and the Kings 2019 first rounder (which won't be a lottery pick). The Warriors would make the most out of losing Durant by sending him to the opposite conference and obtaining two really good perimeter players to shore up their thinning perimeter depth. With Iggy and Livingston showing serious signs of regression, adding Hayward/Brown would be a significant boost to their perimeter defense, and both have the ability to hit three pointers as well as put the ball on the floor. Hayward/Brown would fit in nicely with the original Warriors trio of Curry/Thompson/Draymond and keep the Warriors in contention moving forward

As for the other teams, besides the Lakers and Celtics, that could possibly get Durant this summer, I just don't think they could provide Durant with a better opportunity than what he has right now. While I think the Clippers could get a meeting with Durant in free agency, I don't see him actually going to there because he would be overshadowed by Lebron and the Lakers. Los Angeles will always be a Lakers town, there is just too much history for it not to be. Even if he could join up with another star like Kawhi on the Clippers, it would just make more sense for him to stay in Golden State than go to the Clippers. The Clippers with KD/Kawhi are probably worse than the Warriors are now, and wouldn't necessarily be the favorites depending on what else happens. As for Philadelphia, I'm sure they would make the necessary moves needed to free up the space to sign him but they would have a trio of KD/Embiid/Simmons and not much else. They would then have to rely on the vet minimum to fill our their roster and if the Celtics acquired Anthony Davis through after he goes to Philly, then a KD-led 76ers team might not get out of the East. New York doesn't have a real shot. Another star, such as Kyrie, would have to join him and the Knicks barely have enough cap to sign one max free agent, let alone two. Same goes with the Nets.

Knowing that, I believe Durant's best moves would be, in no particular order, staying in Golden State, joining Lebron on the Lakers, getting traded to the Celtics, teaming up with Embiid/Simmons in Philly, or teaming up with another star on the Clippers. As I said I personally have some reservations about the 76ers or Clippers but those wouldn't be bad choices, and it would also depend on what other stars do as well. I think him going to Boston is a real possibility even though there hasn't been anything said by anyone yet. I could end up being way wrong but if Durant ends up forcing his way to Boston after the season, you heard it here first.

Note-If this were to happen, could you imagine how great next year's Finals could be if it's Lebron's Lakers vs KD's Celtics with both players vying for title #4?

TylerSL
12-24-2018, 03:43 AM
It depends pretty much entirely on free agency. If the Warriors keep their talent not much will change. If the right stars team up somewhere on a team with good young depth, things might change next year.

Even if KD and Klay stay in Golden State, what if the Lakers get Kawhi and AD? I think the league will be much different next year no matter what the Warriors do personally.

ewing
12-24-2018, 07:44 AM
TLDR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zookman65
12-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Even if KD and Klay stay in Golden State, what if the Lakers get Kawhi and AD? I think the league will be much different next year no matter what the Warriors do personally.

LeBron, Kawhi and AD would be my pick to knock off the Warriors if they actually teamed up.

COOLbeans
12-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Good thoughts. But the Warriors would ask for Tatum.

Thereís no reason why they wouldnít get him either, if the Celtics are receiving Kevin Durant lol

R. Johnson#3
12-24-2018, 09:42 AM
KD will go to the Knicks
Klay will opt out and go to the Knicks
Boogie will go to the Knicks

Everybody will go to the Knicks because everybody secretly wants to go there every year.

ewing
12-24-2018, 10:14 AM
KD will go to the Knicks
Klay will opt out and go to the Knicks
Boogie will go to the Knicks

Everybody will go to the Knicks because everybody secretly wants to go there every year.

We donít want Boogie

Heediot
12-24-2018, 10:31 AM
[B] A trio of KD/Kyrie/Tatum would instantly make the Celtics the heavy favorites in the Eastern.

The saving grace is Brad Stevens. To be a dominant offense nowadays you either need a player that can control/dictate the terms and also be a good scorer or you need a coach that can control/dictate the terms and pout the players in the best position. Pops and Stevens can be argued to be the only two coaches that can make that much of an impact IMO. Jurys out on Kerr, until I see him with less talent. He did catapult Curry and that offense though.

I think that Trio could work well under Stevens.

R. Johnson#3
12-24-2018, 11:01 AM
We donít want Boogie

I donít blame you. It would be dumb to get him on your team which is exactly why the Knicks will do it.

Giannis94
12-24-2018, 11:19 AM
The title goes through mke. Sorry to break it to ya.

ewing
12-24-2018, 11:22 AM

thank God. Someone to breath some sense into this non sense. The East will win it this year. I think it will be Boston but it certainly won't be GS

cmellofan15
12-24-2018, 11:33 AM

First round exit

Scoots
12-24-2018, 11:35 AM

I did say "if the right stars team up".

ewing
12-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Guys a team with faltering chemistry that is starting to think they can sleep walk through the season is about add the league's biggest malcontent who will be surely playing for his stats b/c he is looking to cash in this off season. how could this go wrong?

R. Johnson#3
12-24-2018, 12:06 PM
Guys a team with faltering chemistry that is starting to think they can sleep walk through the season is about add the league's biggest malcontent who will be surely playing for his stats b/c he is looking to cash in this off season. how could this go wrong?

Boogie is a statistical freak so there's absolutely no way this could go wrong. I mean they tried to build a team around him in Sacramento for almost 7 years with high draft picks and acquiring names like Gay and Rondo but nobody could give him the right teammates or coach to make it work. It has absolutely nothing to do with him and everything to do with everything else. Just ignore the fact that the Kings turned into a playoff contender 2 years after dealing him away. They definitely got lucky.

ewing
12-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Boogie is a statistical freak so there's absolutely no way this could go wrong. I mean they tried to build a team around him in Sacramento for almost 7 years with high draft picks and acquiring names like Gay and Rondo but nobody could give him the right teammates or coach to make it work. It has absolutely nothing to do with him and everything to do with everything else. Just ignore the fact that the Kings turned into a playoff contender 2 years after dealing him away. They definitely got lucky.

Come on he will be content to rebound, defend the paint, finish plays at the rim and hit the occasional catch and shoot jumper. No way he puts the ball between his legs 20 times per catch like Curely Neal and takes away from everyone else.

D-Leethal
12-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Seems like the Warriors added Boogie for showmanship purposes in a U MAD? sort of way. Trying to incorporate another big time/big name player who is a known enigma was the only thing that could potentially disrupt things enough to hold them back from winning a chip again. It's akin to the Rockets signing Melo, except the Rockets had reason to try and swing for the fences since they were looking up at the Warriors. Dubs had no reason at all to take this risk. They would waltz to a championship with ease again. It's like they did it just to show everyone they can, but it's a huge basketball risk they didn't need to take IMO.