PDA

View Full Version : Small Market owners increasingly unhappy with tampering non-enforcement.

warfelg
12-21-2018, 01:37 PM

I know some will say ďwell a good GM can build anything anywhereĒ, but there will still be certain stars that want to be in certain cities and will always want other certain stars with them. Some of the GM stuff matters, but at the same time the NBA should be enforcing the rules more (Embiid and Giannis have admitted to openly recruiting AD, along with LeBron now pushing the Lakers on it), but they also need a better system in place to prevent that from being a possibility in the first place.

smith&wesson
12-21-2018, 01:45 PM
They are correct .. The clippers are sending representatives to every Raptor game to covet Leonard never seen any team do that with a player of another team.

Celtics and Lakers are openly targeting Davis regardless of him being under contract ...

When a player becomes a free agent then by all means do what you can to recruit them. But when they are still under contract in the middle of a season trying to help their team win I think itís wrong.

GREATNESS ONE
12-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Lmao!!! Poor billionaire owners!

Cal827
12-21-2018, 02:27 PM
:laugh2: It's selective enforcement.... and it stupid how exactly how they're enforcing it.

Magic says something on a night talk show about how it would be nice if they could get Paul George on the night talk show... the NBA loses their **** and fines the Lakers with Tampering.

The Clipper's president literally was in the Staples parking lot after the Raptors beat the Clippers in LA a week ago, trying to flag down and speak to Kawhi Leonard (who apparently ignored him and hopped on the Raptor bus to Golden State without interacting).... and nothing has come up. I don't have issues with the scouts watching him play, but Lawrence Frank was waiting in the damn parking lot for Kawhi post game. Half shocked they didn't use that secret door to get into the locker room after I heard that :laugh2:

Not sure about you guys, but the Clipper's situation seems a lot more invasive/tampering to me. Kawhi will have the right to do whatever he wants after the season, and from the Woj report a few weeks ago, he's still leaning to going to Los Angeles. But until FA starts, **** off with going after him and other players who are upcoming free agents like Davis.

It's a big difference hearing a player like Lebron (Who granted has the Lakers/Magic around his finger), or Giannis saying they want a guy, over GMs or presidents physically acting :laugh2: People who are friends in the same field might sometimes adjust their schedules to get the opporunity to work with one another (E.g. my friend and I work at the same veterinary emergency clinic as I suggested that they apply too as we work well together).

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 02:44 PM
no offense, and this is coming from a small market team fan, but what cities/teams do you think produce the most revenue for the NBA? I can assure you it's not Minneapolis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, or Cleveland.

Large markets/cities will always get preferential treatment and be more appealing for the players. Either get over it or follow an individual sport like tennis where none of that matters.

valade16
12-21-2018, 02:55 PM
no offense, and this is coming from a small market team fan, but what cities/teams do you think produce the most revenue for the NBA? I can assure you it's not Minneapolis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, or Cleveland.

Large markets/cities will always get preferential treatment and be more appealing for the players. Either get over it or follow an individual sport like tennis where none of that matters.

Yeah it's tough because what can they really do to enforce it? Even if they outlaw all this out in the open stuff, you're still going to have players texting other players or talking to them without our knowledge. There's basically no way to stop it.

Just sucks as a fan of Minnesota or Portland.

warfelg
12-21-2018, 03:16 PM
I come back to they messed up the finances of the NBA. NFL/NHL have no issues with their small market teams because of the CBA and Salary structure.

Heediot
12-21-2018, 03:34 PM
these players have too much power and influence and are dictating/crying their way to form super/friend teams. something needs to change. if you don't like your current team, cry and tell them you won't re-sign, then force a trade lol. if your bron, yo manipulate behind the scenes to maneuver the team for the best position for ad. lol, this guy is on a high level biaotch/vag like kd, maybe not the same but a level beneath in trying to cement his image/legacy through some ***** moves.

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 03:41 PM
I come back to they messed up the finances of the NBA. NFL/NHL have no issues with their small market teams because of the CBA and Salary structure.

NFL has a hard cap and the sport itself has natural disparity due to length of players tenure/impact. The NHL, only a few states actually care about hockey, it's nothing like the NBA as far as revenue, so each team matters more. Does anyone know what the breakdowns are across the 4 major sports as far as revenue generated by team?

warfelg
12-21-2018, 03:55 PM
NFL has a hard cap and the sport itself has natural disparity due to length of players tenure/impact. The NHL, only a few states actually care about hockey, it's nothing like the NBA as far as revenue, so each team matters more. Does anyone know what the breakdowns are across the 4 major sports as far as revenue generated by team?

NFL top ten in order: Dallas, Boston, NYG, Washington, San Fran, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, NYJ, Green Bay

NHL top ten in order: NYR, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston, LAK, Philly, Detroit, Vancouver, Washington

MLB top ten in order: NYY, LAD, CCubs, San Fran, Boston, NYM, StL, LAA, Philly, Washington

NBA top ten in order: NYK, LAL, Chicago, Boston, LAC, Golden State, Brooklyn, Houston, Dallas, Miami.

In all of them we basically see the top 2 markets in all of these, the 3rd in 3 of 4. But then from there you got some going as low as (excluding Green Bay) 16 (Miami).

Heediot
12-21-2018, 03:56 PM
NFL top ten in order: Dallas, Boston, NYG, Washington, San Fran, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, NYJ, Green Bay

NHL top ten in order: NYR, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston, LAK, Philly, Detroit, Vancouver, Washington

MLB top ten in order: NYY, LAD, CCubs, San Fran, Boston, NYM, StL, LAA, Philly, Washington

NBA top ten in order: NYK, LAL, Chicago, Boston, LAC, Golden State, Brooklyn, Houston, Dallas, Miami.

In all of them we basically see the top 2 markets in all of these, the 3rd in 3 of 4. But then from there you got some going as low as (excluding Green Bay) 16 (Miami).

hockey should just go back to the original 6.

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 04:00 PM

NBA pays players way more than any other league, so I think the players know they have more choices when it comes to where they play. Ie, they don't need to just be thankful for a job like the NFL. The NHL/MLB are a little different anyways. NHL is a bunch of white dudes from Canada/Europe and a few from north US. MLB is a hodge podge of everywhere.

I mean, what do you suggest the NBA does? The model is working, they make a ton of money, all teams are taken care of, etc. Young, black, famous men don't want to live in Minneapolis. And that is just the way it goes.

valade16
12-21-2018, 04:06 PM

lol, New York is 1st in 3 sports and 3rd in the other, and at least 2 of those teams suck. LA is 2nd in 2 sports and Chicago is 2nd in two and 4th in another.

Of the 40 teams listed, 14 are from New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago. That's 1/3 of the teams on the list. Crazy

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 04:09 PM
lol, New York is 1st in 3 sports and 3rd in the other, and at least 2 of those teams suck. LA is 2nd in 2 sports and Chicago is 2nd in two and 4th in another.

Of the 40 teams listed, 14 are from New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago. That's 1/3 of the teams on the list. Crazy

yep and it's why the leagues not only cater to those cities/teams, but they let things slide. Imagine the Joe Smith saga that took a bunch of picks away happening in LA. Well you wouldn't need to because the league would never have done that to an LA team...

The leagues depend on the large markets. Always will most likely.

warfelg
12-21-2018, 04:19 PM
NBA pays players way more than any other league, so I think the players know they have more choices when it comes to where they play. Ie, they don't need to just be thankful for a job like the NFL. The NHL/MLB are a little different anyways. NHL is a bunch of white dudes from Canada/Europe and a few from north US. MLB is a hodge podge of everywhere.

I mean, what do you suggest the NBA does? The model is working, they make a ton of money, all teams are taken care of, etc. Young, black, famous men don't want to live in Minneapolis. And that is just the way it goes.

Well are all teams taken care of? 9 of them lost money all said and done in the 2017-18 season.

What I suggest is that the NBA having a better system to prevent teams from going into the tax so easily. Better ways for the small market teams to pull into the pool.

You keep making excuses for why these other leagues are different but if you look at it, NFL and NHL have the smallest gap between the highest and lowest revenue teams. Those leagues see some of the best playoffs. NBA and MLB have huge gaps between top and bottom and you can tell who in those leagues would succeed.

In the end for small market owners is they donít want the feeling that they will lose a player before the time comes up. They want to be able to sell fans on there is a chance.

Take New Orleans, and whatís better for the league and the team:
Front Office holding onto AD and trying to build a championship team that brings fans and money into the league.
OR
2 years of players open recruiting, FOs making comments, and owners making overtures to AD, the fans not caring, and New Orleans not making any money.

warfelg
12-21-2018, 04:23 PM

So part of revenue generated is team value. Like Nets and Mets are up there in revenue generated, but also up there of teams that lost money. Which to me is crazy.

ccugrad1
12-21-2018, 04:23 PM
I've always said with the NBA, you could literally contract like 5 or 6 teams and no one would miss them at all? Let's be honest, if Anthony Davis leaves the Pelicans, what reason is there to watch anything with New Orleans?

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Well are all teams taken care of? 9 of them lost money all said and done in the 2017-18 season.

What I suggest is that the NBA having a better system to prevent teams from going into the tax so easily. Better ways for the small market teams to pull into the pool.

You keep making excuses for why these other leagues are different but if you look at it, NFL and NHL have the smallest gap between the highest and lowest revenue teams. Those leagues see some of the best playoffs. NBA and MLB have huge gaps between top and bottom and you can tell who in those leagues would succeed.

In the end for small market owners is they donít want the feeling that they will lose a player before the time comes up. They want to be able to sell fans on there is a chance.

Take New Orleans, and whatís better for the league and the team:
Front Office holding onto AD and trying to build a championship team that brings fans and money into the league.
OR
2 years of players open recruiting, FOs making comments, and owners making overtures to AD, the fans not caring, and New Orleans not making any money.

lets start with this-nobody cares about the NHL. Canadian fans will skew the results as well. Seriously there is nothing you can do to help that sport in most the US, or hurt it in Canada.

Each league is different. So what is your suggestion to help the NBA?

Profit sharing all but negates any loss a small market team will have in the NBA. In a league where tanking is so huge, a LOT would need to change in the NBA.

NFL will always be king, because of the natural parity that comes from a hard cap and injuries. They can't be touched as far as a model, imo. 1 game a week, so meh fans can even buy into that. Each game, all the players play as if their job depends on it, because it does. That can't be replicated in the other 3 leagues.

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 04:30 PM
I've always said with the NBA, you could literally contract like 5 or 6 teams and no one would miss them at all? Let's be honest, if Anthony Davis leaves the Pelicans, what reason is there to watch anything with New Orleans?

yep. I can guarantee you, if the Wolves, Bucks, Cavs, and Hornets were all contracted, the NBA wouldn't even miss their fans. Like at all.

warfelg
12-21-2018, 04:37 PM
lets start with this-nobody cares about the NHL. Canadian fans will skew the results as well. Seriously there is nothing you can do to help that sport in most the US, or hurt it in Canada.

Each league is different. So what is your suggestion to help the NBA?

Profit sharing all but negates any loss a small market team will have in the NBA. In a league where tanking is so huge, a LOT would need to change in the NBA.

NFL will always be king, because of the natural parity that comes from a hard cap and injuries. They can't be touched as far as a model, imo. 1 game a week, so meh fans can even buy into that. Each game, all the players play as if their job depends on it, because it does. That can't be replicated in the other 3 leagues.

Iíve put it out there multiple times to have a much more penal tax, allow each team to have 1 contract outside the cap, no max contracts. Finding a way to break up the ability for star players to teams up without costing them money or even a chance of pairing together, but at the same time making it most beneficial to be on their own as a star.

Hawkeye15
12-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Iíve put it out there multiple times to have a much more penal tax, allow each team to have 1 contract outside the cap, no max contracts. Finding a way to break up the ability for star players to teams up without costing them money or even a chance of pairing together, but at the same time making it most beneficial to be on their own as a star.

and I am fine with all your suggestions I have read. But the NBA is making money hand over fist. Business will remain as is, you know that.

warfelg
12-21-2018, 04:44 PM
and I am fine with all your suggestions I have read. But the NBA is making money hand over fist. Business will remain as is, you know that.

If certain teams keep losing money and enough small market teams lost players it will hit a breaking point.

smith&wesson
12-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Iím just saying, why have rules against tampering if you canít enforce them

Giannis94
12-21-2018, 09:42 PM
A certain team that has gotten fined for tampering tampers all the time. But it's okay. Their two gms are loved in nba circles. Facts only.

More-Than-Most
12-21-2018, 11:00 PM
The NBA is at the point now where they shouldnt be bullied by the mega franchises because of the money those teams bring in and small market teams should be mad but would it really matter if lebron and others followed the rules? This isnt the 80s/90s lol... lebron/simmons/kobe/AD/Melo/CP3 and so on down the list were workout buddies/friends off the court for years... I am fairly certain AD knows lebron wants him and I am certain lebron has told him plenty... It cant be prevented.

SiteWolf
12-22-2018, 12:51 AM
yep. I can guarantee you, if the Wolves, Bucks, Cavs, and Hornets were all contracted, the NBA wouldn't even miss their fans. Like at all.

so fans of those teams or in those cities/areas can just suck it then?
and why those teams? they're not the smallest markets

TrueFan420
12-22-2018, 02:14 AM
I think players shouldnít be able to talk to other players about changing teams. If youíre a player on a contract youre a rep of the team. Thus any contact that would be deemed recurring would be illegal. I know it would be absurdly hard to monitor but they need to do something. At the very least this would get rid of the open recruitment that goes on and make it have to happen behind the doors.

TrueFan420
12-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Iím just saying, why have rules against tampering if you canít enforce them

Perception is important.

lakers squad
12-22-2018, 08:13 AM
First off, the leauge vetoed the Lakers CP3 trade, because teams complaining it was not fair, we have been hit with a couple fines from the leauge because of small markets complaining that we tampored, other franchises have done similar things and were not fined! Teams do not want to trade with us either. There is a very bad bias against the Lakers going on here. why is there not one against Boston, NY, ECT. Like there is against the Lakers. They are big market's also, this is unfair to the Lakers if you want to be honest about it. Was this not like tampering when they mixed the CP3 deal, if anything the Lakers should be complaining because of a unfair advantage this puts us at! Teams need to shut up and do their jobs! If they run their franchise correctly and are not cheap, put the effort in that they should they would be fine! All this discriminate crap is getting really old!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-22-2018, 10:22 AM

warfelg
12-22-2018, 10:42 AM
See I think that LeBron quote is part of the problem. He wants to be asked about it so he can openly tamper with the excuse of ďI was asked and pressed into it.Ē

ewing
12-22-2018, 10:53 AM
these players have too much power and influence and are dictating/crying their way to form super/friend teams. something needs to change. if you don't like your current team, cry and tell them you won't re-sign, then force a trade lol. if your bron, yo manipulate behind the scenes to maneuver the team for the best position for ad. lol, this guy is on a high level biaotch/vag like kd, maybe not the same but a level beneath in trying to cement his image/legacy through some ***** moves.

I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warfelg
12-22-2018, 12:00 PM

My gut instinct is that AAU is part of the reason all these guys want to play together, but it goes much deeper than that. The issue is media's (and fan's) obsession with rings, the changing dynamic of AAU and Team USA (they get together so much more often now), the ease of movement (teams are planning for this stuff), and the lax attitude to tampering.

warfelg
12-22-2018, 12:03 PM
And part of the stupidity of NBA's tampering rules:

If when Jimmy were forcing his way out of Minny, the Sixers straight up asked his agent:
"Hey, does Jimmy have any interest in signing here?"
Boom. Tampering by NBA rules.

BUT, if the Sixers said to his agent:
"We're in the market for a 6'8" swingman who plays as a two way star, can play on or off the ball, but won't be on the market until next offseason, do you know anyone who fits the bill and is interested?"
Not tampering.

How ****ed up is that??

statquo
12-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Hockey has the most parity out of the major sports. You couldn't have teams like Golden State or the Lebron Cavs in the NHL with the hard cap. The only small market teams that continuously suck in the NHL are because of bad owners or bad management. It boggles my mind that people would still want to watch the same teams in the finals for 4 years in a row and have the finals predetermined before the season starts. I mean why would you want to watch if your team's championship is to make it to the Conference Finals or a guaranteed loss in the Finals?

That being said, the NBA actually has personalities and a bit of drama, something that no longer exists in the NHL since they basically got rid of fighting and parity kind of ruins rivalries.

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Jack Armstrong has an easy solution for tampering. If a team is fined for tampering they wonít be able to sign the player they were trying to get by tampering. That would make everyone put their phones away.

GREATNESS ONE
12-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Jack Armstrong has an easy solution for tampering. If a team is fined for tampering they wonít be able to sign the player they were trying to get by tampering. That would make everyone put their phones away.

Thatís lame as ****

warfelg
12-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Yea that wonít fly. Owners wonít sign off on that.

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Thatís lame as ****

Heard it on the radio and an analyst came up with the idea. I thought it was interesting. For example the Lakers were fined for tampering with Paul Goerge last year. In Jack Armstrongís hypothetical scenario the Lakers would not have the option to sign George when he was a feee agent last year because of tampering.

if teams really wanted a certain player they will hold off until free agency before trying to recruit him other wise they could lose the option all together. So whatís lame about it? Just curious

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Yea that wonít fly. Owners wonít sign off on that.

You realize the owners are split on this right ? The big market owners likely have no issue with tampering as it favours them so no they wouldnít likely want to sign off on that. The small market owners however would because they are the ones most impacted by tampering.

If it came down to a vote how many big market owners are there vs small market owners ??

GREATNESS ONE
12-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Heard it on the radio and an analyst came up with the idea. I thought it was interesting. For example the Lakers were fined for tampering with Paul Goerge last year. In Jack Armstrongís hypothetical scenario the Lakers would not have the option to sign George when he was a feee agent last year because of tampering.

if teams really wanted a certain player they will hold off until free agency before trying to recruit him other wise they could lose the option all together. So whatís lame about it? Just curious

So if Lebron James says, ďhey AD is sexy, I would love to play with himĒ AD can never even as a FREE AGENT sign with the Lakers or whatever team Lebron was on when he said it... or just the Lakers since Lebron said it as a Laker... or if Lebron left he can never go play on the team Lebron is on..

Itís just a lame idea all around.. these guys hang out, text each other, eat dinner, **** groupies whatever, we canít stop that....

GREATNESS ONE
12-22-2018, 01:06 PM
You realize the owners are split on this right ? The big market owners likely have no issue with tampering as it favours them so no they wouldnít likely want to sign off on that. The small market owners however would because they are the ones most impacted by tampering.

If it came down to a vote how many big market owners are there vs small market owners ??

So teams that canít even fill their own stadium only when big market teams come around and are struggling keeping the doors open etc get the same weight in vote that a team who sells out every game and helps fund the NBA.... lame idea again.... (btw nothing against you)

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 01:51 PM
So if Lebron James says, ďhey AD is sexy, I would love to play with himĒ AD can never even as a FREE AGENT sign with the Lakers or whatever team Lebron was on when he said it... or just the Lakers since Lebron said it as a Laker... or if Lebron left he can never go play on the team Lebron is on..

Itís just a lame idea all around.. these guys hang out, text each other, eat dinner, **** groupies whatever, we canít stop that....

Maybe you misunderstood. If a team is fined for tampering, they also lose the option of signing that player in that free agency. The Lakers being fined twice for tampering with PG last year is a perfect example of that.

I think itís different if players are friends and talk to one another on their own time but Iíll give you another example, the Clippers Lawrence frank or a rep from the team is at every single raptors game coveting Leonard, talking to his people, trying to get his attention.. thatís distracting both to the player and his current team mates. Thatís a little different then guys hanging out and talking about how great it would be to play together. Thatís just human nature imo.

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 01:56 PM
So teams that canít even fill their own stadium only when big market teams come around and are struggling keeping the doors open etc get the same weight in vote that a team who sells out every game and helps fund the NBA.... lame idea again.... (btw nothing against you)

No my response was simply to bring to his attention that the owners are split on this because he seems to think they are all on the same page which we know they certainly are not. I was pointing out that if it came to that there are def more small market owners then big market owners. But again I donít think it comes to owners vs owners...this is something the comish needs to figure out because it has become more of a problem as time has gone on.

ewing
12-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Maybe you misunderstood. If a team is fined for tampering, they also lose the option of signing that player in that free agency. The Lakers being fined twice for tampering with PG last year is a perfect example of that.

I think itís different if players are friends and talk to one another on their own time but Iíll give you another example, the Clippers Lawrence frank or a rep from the team is at every single raptors game coveting Leonard, talking to his people, trying to get his attention.. thatís distracting both to the player and his current team mates. Thatís a little different then guys hanging out and talking about how great it would be to play together. Thatís just human nature imo.

Do the Clippers really send Lawrence Frank to Raptors games?

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Yes and if not him then another representative from the front office of the Clippers

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/clippers-news-lawrence-frank-among-clippers-employees-present-in-majority-of-kawhi-leonards-games/amp/

https://mobile.twitter.com/jlew1050/status/1069723376044924929

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/sports/2018/12/kawhi-leonard-did-not-know-that-los-angeles-clippers-were-attending-his-games

lakers squad
12-22-2018, 03:26 PM

If it was Magic doing this, wouldn't the leauges reaction be tot different? I guarantee it would be, we would have been fine and every team would be having a fit! The double standards is bull ****! When the Lakers are good it makes everyone money! Anything the Lakers do is scrutinized! Teams need to quit complaining and do their job and run their franchise correctly instead of whining about the Lakers! Most franchise's are cheap and ran like crap! Owners, coaches, executive's ext. Need to shut up and be thankful for everything the Lakers bring, open their wallets and learn to compete, instead of *****ing about everything the Lakers do!

smith&wesson
12-22-2018, 04:10 PM
If it was Magic doing this, wouldn't the leauges reaction be tot different? I guarantee it would be, we would have been fine and every team would be having a fit! The double standards is bull ****! When the Lakers are good it makes everyone money! Anything the Lakers do is scrutinized! Teams need to quit complaining and do their job and run their franchise correctly instead of whining about the Lakers! Most franchise's are cheap and ran like crap! Owners, coaches, executive's ext. Need to shut up and be thankful for everything the Lakers bring, open their wallets and learn to compete, instead of *****ing about everything the Lakers do!

I donít think this is exclusively a Lakers problem. Yes there is def more eyes on the Lakers for many obvious reasons but I agree there should be no double standard. The rules should be consistent across the board and yes I absolutely agree if Magic was doing what Lawrence Frank and others from the clippers front office are doing it would be made a huge deal but for some reason the clippers are getting away with it.

With that said you canít expect a city like Minnesota to be as attractive to a young athlete compared to a city like LA. Itís not a matter of owners simply being cheap or opening their wallets.. but thatís a different topic entirely

warfelg
12-22-2018, 04:29 PM

I saw you brought up the PG stuff earlier....remember the only reason the Lakers got punished is because the Pacers pushed Silver to do it. Silver didn't want to at first.

zookman65
12-22-2018, 04:55 PM

I dont understand your view. I am interested in learning from you what you would think the NBA should do to have a CBA that doesnt allow players to go to where they want (big markets?). I am asking not because I am knocking but trying to understand what is messed up.

warfelg
12-22-2018, 05:55 PM
I dont understand your view. I am interested in learning from you what you would think the NBA should do to have a CBA that doesnt allow players to go to where they want (big markets?). I am asking not because I am knocking but trying to understand what is messed up.

Iíve done it multiple times and my view is easy to see. The tax isnít as punitive as it should be. Players under contract should not be able to be talked about in other destinations so freely. Itís not about limiting players movement. Itís about giving teams equal opportunities.

EDIT: To add to this, the NBA wouldn't and shouldn't want to see small market franchises reset every 8 years. Because if you don't enforce tampering rules, and at that don't make it easy for teams to acquire players. I mean just think that right now we got 4 known players/teams openly recruiting AD. LeBron, Giannis, Embiid, Boston.

In any of those cases what you are doing is forcing a team to not only rebuild, but do so with less than stellar parts, and telling the Pelican's fans that they don't matter to the NBA. I feel as though the leagues responsibility should be to see that not just the major markets fans matter, but the small market fans matter. Think of how bad the Lakers were or the Knicks and Bulls are. Yet they always remain near the top of attendance records. If the NBA could get the smaller markets to have higher attendance and interest that would mean higher revenue and more money.

That's where the NFL and NHL are smart. They knew that having the smaller markets make money for the league was the best for the long term health of their sport. While the NBA is growing, it's still very regional outside of star players, and the MLB is very much stuck with a regional fandom because they can't fix those issues.

Scoots
12-22-2018, 10:56 PM
I saw you brought up the PG stuff earlier....remember the only reason the Lakers got punished is because the Pacers pushed Silver to do it. Silver didn't want to at first.

And because it was on national TV.

Scoots
12-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Iíve done it multiple times and my view is easy to see. The tax isnít as punitive as it should be. Players under contract should not be able to be talked about in other destinations so freely. Itís not about limiting players movement. Itís about giving teams equal opportunities.

EDIT: To add to this, the NBA wouldn't and shouldn't want to see small market franchises reset every 8 years. Because if you don't enforce tampering rules, and at that don't make it easy for teams to acquire players. I mean just think that right now we got 4 known players/teams openly recruiting AD. LeBron, Giannis, Embiid, Boston.

In any of those cases what you are doing is forcing a team to not only rebuild, but do so with less than stellar parts, and telling the Pelican's fans that they don't matter to the NBA. I feel as though the leagues responsibility should be to see that not just the major markets fans matter, but the small market fans matter. Think of how bad the Lakers were or the Knicks and Bulls are. Yet they always remain near the top of attendance records. If the NBA could get the smaller markets to have higher attendance and interest that would mean higher revenue and more money.

That's where the NFL and NHL are smart. They knew that having the smaller markets make money for the league was the best for the long term health of their sport. While the NBA is growing, it's still very regional outside of star players, and the MLB is very much stuck with a regional fandom because they can't fix those issues.

NBA revenue sharing is pretty broken too. The number of things outside of the CBA official revenue is kind of crazy.

ewing
12-23-2018, 12:03 AM
I love tampering.