PDA

View Full Version : Should the Warriors have a fire-sale?

Giannis94
11-22-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm not asking if you think they will, because I acknowledge it's not likely. But if I'm their GM, I definitely entertaining it for anyone not locked up long term or players that wouldn't seem willing to be locked up long term.

Klay, dray, kd and I think boogy are all expirings. If they leave in fa, unlike other sports- they don't get ****.

If I'm them, I'm trying to maximize my return on the players given that team chemistry and everything else seems to be shot and their magic, gone.

Vinylman
11-22-2018, 09:56 AM
*sigh*

warfelg
11-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Lol no. They’ve been playing without Curry and now Dray. Boogie hasn’t suited up yet either. Winning cures all and when those guys are back they’ll win.

Heediot
11-22-2018, 10:47 AM
I would trade kd for a nice starter and depth and be back to where i was 3 years ago. That's just me, no way they risk the ship for my scenario though.

R. Johnson#3
11-22-2018, 10:49 AM
They should blow it up before they get their 3peat.....

Giannis94
11-22-2018, 10:54 AM
I would trade kd for a nice starter and depth and be back to where i was 3 years ago. That's just me, no way they risk the ship for my scenario though.

If Jimmy was getting offers of 4 1st's- then KD is worth more. The warriors won more games wihtout him. Since adding him it's clear that he's only made them worse. In the playoffs Klay and curry would pick up his role.

LaVar Ball
11-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Bring back Bogut

jaydubb
11-22-2018, 11:20 AM
They should tank for zion

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Giannis94
11-22-2018, 12:17 PM
They should tank for zion

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Can I get a Joel Osteen Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhmen

Tg11
11-22-2018, 01:11 PM
The Warriors if anything will resign Klay and KD will end up leaving with Boogie resigning

Giannis94
11-22-2018, 01:15 PM
The Warriors if anything will resign Klay and KD will end up leaving with Boogie resigning

I think they should resign Klay and Dray. Or maybe let dray go and get kawhi.

Tg11
11-22-2018, 01:18 PM
I think they should resign Klay and Dray. Or maybe let dray go and get kawhi.

Draymond he will stay, that I have no doubt about and Klay will too...KD and Boogie is anyone's guess at this point

TrueFan420
11-22-2018, 01:32 PM
I'm not asking if you think they will, because I acknowledge it's not likely. But if I'm their GM, I definitely entertaining it for anyone not locked up long term or players that wouldn't seem willing to be locked up long term.

Klay, dray, kd and I think boogy are all expirings. If they leave in fa, unlike other sports- they don't get ****.

If I'm them, I'm trying to maximize my return on the players given that team chemistry and everything else seems to be shot and their magic, gone.
While this thread doesn’t deserve a legit response I’ll give one anyway.

KD has an option which he will use. Dray, Iggy and Shaun have 1 more year. Everyone else is a free agent or inconsequential.

Klay and Dray both want to come back and don’t want to leave what they’ve built. Both have stated so. Klay has said he’d take a discount, Dray said naw.

KD we don’t know.

Boogie is likely just one year and gone but has no trade value. He’s coming back from a serious injury and is on a 1 year deal and has yet to play. Won’t play till post all star break. We also lose rep as an organization if we move Boogie. Were looking to add players like him on a 1 year for a championship then let them chase money. Moving him hurts the longer term business play.

They’ll go for the W and 3 peat. If KD leaves it hurts but isn’t the end of the world. We’d also have roughly 17 and 7.6 million in expiring contracts of Iggy and Shaun that we could use as trade bait to get younger and help a team looking to rebuild and get out of a talent but longer term contract. All in all we’ll be ok if we stand pat and let everything unfold instead of making a rash stupid decision to rebuild because the team lost 4 games in a row for the first time in 4 years.

Feel free to speculate that everyone leaves or chemistry is shot or captain hindsight if they do. But simply put, you don’t break up a team like this, in a run like this, while their all in their primes like this, on ifs, maybes and a 4 game losing streak for the first time ever while 2 to 3 of their top 4 (no including Boogie for obvious reasons) is out injured.

Be better dude. There are far better things to discuss about BBall then this nonsense.

buckalis
11-22-2018, 08:57 PM
While this thread doesn’t deserve a legit response I’ll give one anyway.

KD has an option which he will use. Dray, Iggy and Shaun have 1 more year. Everyone else is a free agent or inconsequential.

Klay and Dray both want to come back and don’t want to leave what they’ve built. Both have stated so. Klay has said he’d take a discount, Dray said naw.

KD we don’t know.

Boogie is likely just one year and gone but has no trade value. He’s coming back from a serious injury and is on a 1 year deal and has yet to play. Won’t play till post all star break. We also lose rep as an organization if we move Boogie. Were looking to add players like him on a 1 year for a championship then let them chase money. Moving him hurts the longer term business play.

They’ll go for the W and 3 peat. If KD leaves it hurts but isn’t the end of the world. We’d also have roughly 17 and 7.6 million in expiring contracts of Iggy and Shaun that we could use as trade bait to get younger and help a team looking to rebuild and get out of a talent but longer term contract. All in all we’ll be ok if we stand pat and let everything unfold instead of making a rash stupid decision to rebuild because the team lost 4 games in a row for the first time in 4 years.

Feel free to speculate that everyone leaves or chemistry is shot or captain hindsight if they do. But simply put, you don’t break up a team like this, in a run like this, while their all in their primes like this, on ifs, maybes and a 4 game losing streak for the first time ever while 2 to 3 of their top 4 (no including Boogie for obvious reasons) is out injured.

Be better dude. There are far better things to discuss about BBall then this nonsense.

All good points and seem like the most valuable scenario... but there is no way that the Warriors can afford to keep KD given that it will be their 6th season above the lux tax... It costs them some 65M or more in heavy taxation penalty if they would retain all All star core...

Are you aware that there is an (extremely heavy) penalty tax on top of the luxury tax if a team is above the lux tax for more than 4 seasons?

tredigs
11-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Just asked if the overwhelming NBA favorites should have a fire sale :laugh: :laugh:

Giannis94
11-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Just asked if the overwhelming NBA favorites should have a fire sale :laugh: :laugh:

How does 5 seed or whenever they're at, equal overhwleming favorite? It doesn't. You're kidding yourself.

tredigs
11-22-2018, 10:13 PM
How does 5 seed or whenever they're at, equal overhwleming favorite? It doesn't. You're kidding yourself.

:laugh:

TrueFan420
11-22-2018, 10:53 PM
All good points and seem like the most valuable scenario... but there is no way that the Warriors can afford to keep KD given that it will be their 6th season above the lux tax... It costs them some 65M or more in heavy taxation penalty if they would retain all All star core...

Are you aware that there is an (extremely heavy) penalty tax on top of the luxury tax if a team is above the lux tax for more than 4 seasons?

I’m aware. I did a quick look and couldn’t find the article. Maybe Scoots or Tre can find it. It breaks down all of the ways in which they’ll profit off their new stadium in detail. But the short of it is they own office space (believe they partnered with Uber on their new hq in SF next to the stadium) and housing around the stadium, plus all the events and Corp sponsorships, naming rights, and several other avenues of income. They’ll make money even if they carry 4 maxed players. The projects are outrageous and continuing to win will be paramount.

Saddletramp
11-22-2018, 11:35 PM

x2

ewing
11-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddletramp
11-23-2018, 12:13 AM
I’m aware. I did a quick look and couldn’t find the article. Maybe Scoots or Tre can find it. It breaks down all of the ways in which they’ll profit off their new stadium in detail. But the short of it is they own office space (believe they partnered with Uber on their new hq in SF next to the stadium) and housing around the stadium, plus all the events and Corp sponsorships, naming rights, and several other avenues of income. They’ll make money even if they carry 4 maxed players. The projects are outrageous and continuing to win will be paramount.

And that’s why there should be a luxury tax cap. What they did is great......for everyone but them. And when that kind of stuff happens, rules get put into place.

More-Than-Most
11-23-2018, 12:55 AM

sadly x3

More-Than-Most
11-23-2018, 12:55 AM
but yea **** it of course they should... Fultz for curry? We will toss in a couple of future 2nds as well to really move the marker on the trade.

tredigs
11-23-2018, 01:25 AM
For reference, the Warriors are 2:3 favorites ($100 bet pays a $66 profit. IE absurdly favored), followed by the Raptors at +850 ($100 bet pays $850 profit), and the Celtics, Rockets and Sixers round out the top 5. Then the Bucks, Nets and Lakers are the next group in the +2000 range.

cmellofan15
11-23-2018, 03:54 AM

Lmao you must have been in a coma the past four years if you are seriously asking this idiotic question

FlashBolt
11-23-2018, 04:23 AM
We're witnessing Bucks fans slowly becoming the most hated here. Tough thing to do when you have Lakers and Warriors fans here.

More-Than-Most
11-23-2018, 04:29 AM
We're witnessing Bucks fans slowly becoming the most hated here. Tough thing to do when you have Lakers and Warriors fans here.

yup. Never seen 1 team get so much love after they constantly under perform because they are finally performing over a 20 game span... Maybe they did turn the corner but holy **** its 20 games.

buckalis
11-23-2018, 06:20 AM

It's a 200M risk we are talking here if one adds the 132M lux tax (for 2019/20 season salaries) limit and adds 65+M of lux tax and (heavy) extra penalty... If KD demands a supermax as to stay (which he will), I very much doubt that Thompson will accept to give a discount on a team friendly contract... What if an injury occurs?

New premisses is a separate investment (of some 500M) that has to pay off for itself first, don't count on it as extra profits for the team before it pays back the full amount invested.

FlashBolt
11-23-2018, 06:23 AM
KD's gone. I wish he would come back to OKC but we don't have the cap. Part of why I really dislike our team right now is we literally have no room for improvement. It is what it is with our team. Strapped to the cap and above. Just absurd how we limited ourselves.

buckalis
11-23-2018, 06:43 AM
IMO, the logical thing for KD to do for next season, is to:

1. Look for a team that can pay him a super max.
2. Look for a team that has the roster as to contend back for another ring that will be "of his own" rather share it with another super star, as he already has two of those and a third would add very little to his after career fame (and profits)...

The more one thinks about it, the more it looks like he will move to the East and the Bulls or the Hornets would be the teams that fulfill the above requirements.

Tg11
11-23-2018, 06:52 AM
IMO, the logical thing for KD to do for next season, is to:

1. Look for a team that can pay him a super max.
2. Look for a team that has the roster as to contend back for another ring that will be "of his own" rather share it with another super star, as he already has two of those and a third would add very little to his after career fame (and profits)...

The more one thinks about it, the more it looks like he will move to the East and the Bulls or the Hornets would be the teams that fulfill the above requirements.

Raptors can give KD the super max if only if Kawhi leaves...a lot of money left on the table then that they could actually go after KD

However teams with cap space right now that actually can make a run at KD are: Lakers, Knicks, Nets, Bulls, Kings, Hornets

Celtics we could be in the running but we would have to give up a lot to get KD

Saddletramp
11-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Nah, it’s just two guys and they’re obviously trolls. Pretty sure buckalis is just an lol, please burner account. His posts seem about as ****ing stupid. And this Giannis guy (who’s also probably some moron’s dupe account) just trolls, too. Other than that, there’s Millerhighlife and he gets a little weird when he’s drinking or saying yet after every other sentence but he’s all right.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Nah, it’s just two guys and they’re obviously trolls. Pretty sure buckalis is just an lol, please burner account. His posts seem about as ****ing stupid. And this Giannis guy (who’s also probably some moron’s dupe account) just trolls, too. Other than that, there’s Millerhighlife and he gets a little weird when he’s drinking or saying yet after every other sentence but he’s all right.

Damn straight i'm all right. I'm the only sensible poster here most of the time. Also found this tweet and figured its fitting for the troll posters at PSD.

Giannis94
11-23-2018, 10:34 AM
but yea **** it of course they should... Fultz for curry? We will toss in a couple of future 2nds as well to really move the marker on the trade.

If they're going to trade curry, they're going to need a pg that can shoot. Fultz can't. But If I'm them, I consider a deal for a curry if things continue spiraling into a dumpster fire. As long as you keep Kerr. He's the brains behind the operation. And the more I think of it, the more open I am to calling curry a part of kerrs system.

Vee-Rex
11-23-2018, 10:37 AM
This team is a wreck. Blow it up.

GREATNESS ONE
11-23-2018, 10:58 AM
:smoking:

Giannis94
11-23-2018, 11:27 AM

I mean, you're behind the Clippers, Grizzlies, Trailblazers, and Thunder. Might as well sell when your assets are high.

TrueFan420
11-23-2018, 03:20 PM
And that’s why there should be a luxury tax cap. What they did is great......for everyone but them. And when that kind of stuff happens, rules get put into place.

Idk the warriors situation as far as adding KD was a once in a lifetime blunder by the player union. No rule to add. If you’re talking about teams being able to make money from their stadium in non basketball ways then I can tell you no rule will ever be in place to limit how much they can make. Maybe they put a revenue sharing in but I just can’t see that getting put into place.

Saddletramp
11-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Idk the warriors situation as far as adding KD was a once in a lifetime blunder by the player union. No rule to add. If you’re talking about teams being able to make money from their stadium in non basketball ways then I can tell you no rule will ever be in place to limit how much they can make. Maybe they put a revenue sharing in but I just can’t see that getting put into place.

Yeah, not talking about the KD thing. If they can afford $400-$500 million in salaries and luxuries taxes a year, what’s the point? It’s about competition, not about the tech world taking over.

Hawkeye15
11-23-2018, 03:49 PM
I mean, if they can get reasonably healthy, they will sleepwalk to another title, so no.

Hawkeye15
11-23-2018, 03:49 PM

I changed my stance after reading this post. Yep, blow that **** up

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Yeah, not talking about the KD thing. If they can afford $400-$500 million in salaries and luxuries taxes a year, what’s the point? It’s about competition, not about the tech world taking over.

I agree there should be no max contract but also a hard cap. So some greedy players could eat most of the payroll but lose with no supporting cast. Also hardcap to keep it even Steven. Yeah some small markets love the free money from the over paying luxury tax teams. Also changing the one and done drafting rule. Kids should have to play like 2 or 3 years before being drafted. Either college or over sea's or that new possible G league rule maybe of them playing there and getting $150K.

Cal827
11-23-2018, 04:18 PM
I mean, you're behind the Clippers, Grizzlies, Trailblazers, and Thunder. Might as well sell when your assets are high.

While we're at it, the Bucks might as well have a fire sale. They're behind Toronto right now, the best they can hope for is to tie them :D

But joking aside, :laugh2: This team would probably be fine to build around Curry/Thompson/Green for years to come and remain a title contender. If KD does leave though, we should finally have two conferences of very, very competitive basketball, especially if he goes to the East team he's rumoured to (Knicks).

kobe4thewinbang
11-23-2018, 04:49 PM
They'll most likely win this year, but there's some sweat rolling down bookie cheeks after this 0-4 streak. They could very well implode, as it's always something team-related that downs a favorite. Every time, aside from injury. This Durant/Green thing is most of the issue, but the team is also not as good as it was last year. Losing McGee will actually mean something when playoffs come if Cousins isn't what they expect, because Bell & Draymond certainly aren't McGee. The Cousins factor is also possibly more fuel to the dumpster fire underway.

But the clock is ticking, and this franchise is about to be done riding the wave.

Now, any team with Steph Curry and one of Klay Thompson/Kevin Durant is a contender. Add Draymond Green, and they'll stay in the mix. But they're about to curve into that "no longer a favorite" class of teams, and in the western conference, it's not impossible that they'd slip even more.

Especially if both Klay and Durant leave. Even Durant leaving is enough for them to lose (1-3 Cavaliers comeback, remember?) and Curry's injuries are starting to return again. I'm rooting for them to get the three-peat, but it could easily not happen or they could get jumped in the Finals. I could see Toronto or Milwaukee or maybe even Philly taking the lead in the series or even pulling off the upset. At the very least, it would be a good Finals appearance experience for the Bucks/Raptors/76ers. Celtics are shaky right now, but if they get their act together, they still have a healthy Kyrie (who hit huge shots in the Cavs title run) and loads of talent and preach defense.

I don't see anyone in the west upsetting them, but hopefully the Rockets get another chance at them or even my Lakers earlier than the WCF.

It is the turning of the tide, for sure, though. So saving money and not throwing money at anything that sticks is a good idea. I think they should keep Klay Thompson and let Draymond Green go. Klay could easily be on his own team and kill it, but Draymond needs this team to be as effective. If Durant stays, then re-sign Klay and ride it longer, but if Durant is leaving and I've heard nothing to support him staying, then it's time to move on. Cousins will hopefully play well and fetch himself one more big contract after his injury. All of history* (even my Lakers failed) says they're definitely not winning a fourth consecutive title.

Their vets are only getting older. Everything runs its course.

*Celtics excluded

TrueFan420
11-23-2018, 06:35 PM
For sure.

They’ll never limit them trying to make money. So it comes back to cap changes, which is possible but will be a battle. Even then, players can still opt to take less and build a team together. When it’s all said and done I don’t think changes will matter. There’s always a team that’s out far and ahead of the rest. The bulls, then Shaq & Kobe Lakers and now the warriors. They’ll fade as time is the only thing to remain undefeated and a new team will eventually rise and become the dominate force.

tredigs
11-24-2018, 12:01 AM
Wrong thread