PDA

View Full Version : When Do Young Players Learn About Clock Management?

Jeffy25
11-20-2018, 01:26 AM
Watched D'Aaron Fox rush an unnecessary layup with a 7 point lead with 30 seconds to go

He then proceeded to get a technical foul, after OKC missed a huge 3, and he left his defender.

I don't watch the Kings much, but the only reason this is still even a game, is because of basic stupidity.

How can an organization move on with a guy playing so dumb? How young can a player be before this stuff can no longer be excused?

FlashBolt
11-20-2018, 02:09 AM
Fox deserves a lot of credit for lifting these Kings and being arguably the best rookie of that draft thus far. He'll learn but you're being quite unfair here specifically with Fox. As for the others, it'd have to be a case-by-case basis.

Jeffy25
11-20-2018, 02:18 AM
Fox deserves a lot of credit for lifting these Kings and being arguably the best rookie of that draft thus far. He'll learn but you're being quite unfair here specifically with Fox. As for the others, it'd have to be a case-by-case basis.

I don't watch a lot of his games, but he basically single handedly made that a close game with OKC within a possession's chance because of his low IQ play. Not his talent, but how he played.

I wasn't trying to really bash him necessarily. Just an observation from this game.

FlashBolt
11-20-2018, 02:30 AM
I don't watch a lot of his games, but he basically single handedly made that a close game with OKC within a possession's chance because of his low IQ play. Not his talent, but how he played.

I wasn't trying to really bash him necessarily. Just an observation from this game.

Gotcha. It was more-so your dig at the end saying how they can move on with a guy playing so dumb. I think it's no secret Fox is the biggest reason they are winning this many games. He's taken a huge leap as a player. Definitely deserves more credit than your take on this one game.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2018, 10:34 AM
many of them learn it in college. But most the guys who end up in the NBA don't stick around long enough, so they learn it in the NBA. Really bad teams that feature high picks playing a ton as one of their top guys suffer even more. 24 seconds, is not long. At all. You build up an internal clock over time, but rookies always find it faster than they imagine.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-20-2018, 12:25 PM
The Kings in generally just play uptempo and never take there foot off the gas. I've seen it multiple times from them this season where they have a multiple possession lead at the end of the game and whether it's Fox pushing the tempo or Hield chucking up a 3, there is no sense to it. They only know how to play at one speed right now.

It's definitely a think with young players, but it's also a Kings thing right now. I say this as a Kings fan. They don't know how to slow it down even in the most obvious situations.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2018, 12:28 PM
The Kings in generally just play uptempo and never take there foot off the gas. I've seen it multiple times from them this season where they have a multiple possession lead at the end of the game and whether it's Fox pushing the tempo or Hield chucking up a 3, there is no sense to it. They only know how to play at one speed right now.

It's definitely a think with young players, but it's also a Kings thing right now. I say this as a Kings fan. They don't know how to slow it down even in the most obvious situations.

its very common for young teams to play as fast as possible.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Watched D'Aaron Fox rush an unnecessary layup with a 7 point lead with 30 seconds to go

He then proceeded to get a technical foul, after OKC missed a huge 3, and he left his defender.

I don't watch the Kings much, but the only reason this is still even a game, is because of basic stupidity.

How can an organization move on with a guy playing so dumb? How young can a player be before this stuff can no longer be excused?

Fox is still only 20 years old. His success and the team's success has been built on playing at an extremely fast pace. Sometimes he pushes the tempo a bit too much. Last night in particular was an off night for him too. He was playing a tick too fast and out of control all night IMO.

None of that is a reason to not move forward with him as their franchise PG.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-20-2018, 12:30 PM
its very common for young teams to play as fast as possible.

Yes, but the Kings are playing super fast, even for today's standards and even compared to other young teams. It's their entire identity right now.

Hawkeye15
11-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Yes, but the Kings are playing super fast, even for today's standards and even compared to other young teams. It's their entire identity right now.

take the only advantage you have-young legs

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-20-2018, 01:23 PM
he went 2 for 1 lol

Chronz
11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Depends on their IQ

TrueFan420
11-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Depends on the coaching they receive. Some get good coaching at younger ages then other. Some just get it.

Chronz
11-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Depends on the coaching they receive. Some get good coaching at younger ages then other. Some just get it.

Logical deduction needs to be taught I guess. Maybe it's harder in game than in practice so I should stfu but seriously, the concept was clear to me when i first started the sport