PDA

View Full Version : An old post about how Covington is a star player.

Alayla
11-11-2018, 12:12 PM
https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/4/27/17292156/robert-covington-top-30-nba-player

I'm all for the Bulter move but man losing roco hurts badly.

GREATNESS ONE
11-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Lol

R. Johnson#3
11-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Robert Covington is a poor mans Gerald Wallace.

JAZZNC
11-11-2018, 01:56 PM
That's a really bad comparison. Covington can actually shoot a basketball.

Alayla
11-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Lol

I just don't think any of you understand the impact he has on the Defensive end.
As a truly Elite Defensive player and an Above Average Offensive on his on-court impact is really high.
Definitely agree with the top 30 statements.

ewing
11-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Heís a younger Danny Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
11-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Sorry couldnít get through that whole article. Regardless you are wrong. No offense just truth

IKnowHoops
11-11-2018, 02:45 PM
I just don't think any of you understand the impact he has on the Defensive end.
As a truly Elite Defensive player and an Above Average Offensive on his on-court impact is really high.
Definitely agree with the top 30 statements.

Well we are going to see first hand what he can do on the Wolves. They need his ďtop 25Ē player impact to be in full effect.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Convington is a good role player on a contending team. That doesn't make him a top 30 players.

IKnowHoops
11-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Convington is a good role player on a contending team. That doesn't make him a top 30 players.

MTMís 76ers expertise claims this. Not I...

Alayla
11-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Heís a younger Danny Green.

Way to prove you've not only never seen him play but rarely dig into analytics either. It may be an unpopular opinion but it's the truth. There is a reason he made first team all defense. He very well could win DPOY soon as well.

Alayla
11-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Well we are going to see first hand what he can do on the Wolves. They need his ďtop 25Ē player impact to be in full effect.

You'll be very pleasantly surprised. You'll find his defensive impact to be better than Bulters and you will also find him to be decent offensively. He will hit crazy difficult and head scratching shots from long range in high volumes. the kind of shoots your cringing becuase he took them but they go in at a good clip anyway.

QBAwayBroncos
11-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Coverage is a good player, but he ain't Jimmy Butler at all.

Minny got a good set of player's and the sixers got another star. I think both teams did well in the trade

Alayla
11-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Coverage is a good player, but he ain't Jimmy Butler at all.

Minny got a good set of player's and the sixers got another star. I think both teams did well in the trade

I'll agree with that much Bulter is still a big upgrade but maybe not as big as we are seeing from a media perspective rn.

ewing
11-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Way to prove you've not only never seen him play but rarely dig into analytics either. It may be an unpopular opinion but it's the truth. There is a reason he made first team all defense. He very well could win DPOY soon as well.

Danny Green is a very good player. He is a similar defender who is mainly a 3 point shooter on offense that shoots a good percentage and goes through occasional hot and cold streaks. He wonít be Dploy. He isnt in Gobert class and there is a couple players in a class below Rudy but above Cov. Without a monster behind him he will show himself to a very competent wing defender but not a guy that makes a defense by himself

Alayla
11-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Danny Green is a very good player. He is a similar defender who is mainly a 3 point shooter on offense that shoots a good percentage and goes through occasional hot and cold streaks.

I know who he is and he's a very good piece but he isn't Covington.

ewing
11-11-2018, 05:10 PM

Sorry there isnít much difference

Alayla
11-11-2018, 05:12 PM

You can't make a comment like that without studying both players in more detail than just a quick eye test.

More-Than-Most
11-11-2018, 10:00 PM
someone else who is finally understanding that defense is 50 percent of the game.... my god i think I am in love. You should becareful though these people prefer PPG/Per etc etc etc

More-Than-Most
11-11-2018, 10:00 PM

sure there is... one is a top 5 defender in all of basketball... the other never was

ewing
11-11-2018, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=More-Than-Most;32649643]sure there is... one is a top 5 defender in all of basketball... the other never was[/

Ok

Alayla
11-12-2018, 05:38 PM
someone else who is finally understanding that defense is 50 percent of the game.... my god i think I am in love. You should becareful though these people prefer PPG/Per etc etc etc

If anything I perfer watching Defense people like Noel and Bledsoe has also been interesting for me on that end. (though bledsoe has so much more ability than he takes advantage of on that end).

Alayla
11-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Danny Green is a very good player. He is a similar defender who is mainly a 3 point shooter on offense that shoots a good percentage and goes through occasional hot and cold streaks. He wonít be Dploy. He isnt in Gobert class and there is a couple players in a class below Rudy but above Cov. Without a monster behind him he will show himself to a very competent wing defender but not a guy that makes a defense by himself

Love how you snuck this edit in there. If your insinuating Covington's success on defense is because of embiid idk what to tell you your just going to have to wait and see he will absoultly improve team defense on his own. That wolves tire fire may be hard to fix but he will certainally improve the defense compared to Jimmy Bulter.

ewing
11-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Love how you snuck this edit in there. If your insinuating Covington's success on defense is because of embiid idk what to tell you your just going to have to wait and see he will absoultly improve team defense on his own. That wolves tire fire may be hard to fix but he will certainally improve the defense compared to Jimmy Bulter.

I didn't sneak anything just expanded on my post??? anyway, yes he benefits from having a rim protector behind him. that how it works for all perimeter defenders. He's not good b/c of Joel but the Sixers are not good b/c of him either. He is a very good cog. This whole debate is silly though b/c unless you think your team just got worse by trading Cov and another reasonable starter for Butler I don't see how you even believe your position.

Tg11
11-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Sixers clearly won this trade but who knows maybe I'm wrong...maybe Covington and Saric will actually contribute in Minnesota but then again I doubt it very much

ewing
11-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Did you guys know Darren Collison was a top 25 player last year. Number 21 according to RPM

Tg11
11-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Covington is a role player as simple as that he is a role player

FlashBolt
11-12-2018, 08:26 PM

defense is 50% of the game for a team theoretically but not for the player. Not every player will play defense (if you count standing around not as defense) because the player they will be defending don't always have the ball. Go watch a player for an entire game and you'll see the amount of defense they actually play isn't a lot because it's usually just standing there and waiting for the player they are guarding to do something first.

ewing
11-12-2018, 08:42 PM
defense is 50% of the game for a team theoretically but not for the player. Not every player will play defense (if you count standing around not as defense) because the player they will be defending don't always have the ball. Go watch a player for an entire game and you'll see the amount of defense they actually play isn't a lot because it's usually just standing there and waiting for the player they are guarding to do something first.

Also ad much as MTM hates counting offensive stats heíll point to Cov offensive efficiency and tell you he is above average on that side too. I donít think Iíve ever seen the guy dribble though. He is strictly a catch and shoot 3 point shooter. He does absolute nothing else. No pull ups, no drives, doesnít leading the break or pushing the pace, no screen roll action, no post up, no setting up teammates. Good defender and a stand still 3 point shooter who nets 12 points a game. Clearly not a top 20 player

More-Than-Most
11-12-2018, 11:23 PM

you can say the same for offense unless you think standing in a spot for 15 seconds and receiving the ball then dishing it to a wide open guy for 3 or handing it off to a guy 2 feet away while he shoots and scores and getting an assist is actually considered doing something. That is why RPM is amazing because it takes everything into account

FlashBolt
11-12-2018, 11:47 PM
you can say the same for offense unless you think standing in a spot for 15 seconds and receiving the ball then dishing it to a wide open guy for 3 or handing it off to a guy 2 feet away while he shoots and scores and getting an assist is actually considered doing something. That is why RPM is amazing because it takes everything into account

Theoretically, yes, no player is playing basketball all the time out there. It's still a game about defense and offense but many players are often just standing and just following their player around aimlessly. The only guys who can't do that are usually bigs who have to follow centers who set picks and also constantly try to defend the paint. If a guy truly played defense 50% of the game, he would be everywhere on the court chasing every possession. no one does that lol

IKnowHoops
11-13-2018, 04:34 AM
You'll be very pleasantly surprised. You'll find his defensive impact to be better than Bulters and you will also find him to be decent offensively. He will hit crazy difficult and head scratching shots from long range in high volumes. the kind of shoots your cringing becuase he took them but they go in at a good clip anyway.

And I will show him nothing but love

IKnowHoops
11-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Did you guys know Darren Collison was a top 25 player last year. Number 21 according to RPM

And wasnít Curry #1 in RPM yet he is probably the weakest defender in the top 25...wtf are even talking about?

IKnowHoops
11-13-2018, 04:43 AM

No bro...it died when Covington has a higher RPM than Bron. But we know that if we switch Bron and Covington last year, 76ers probably sweep Boston. So no, it doesnít work and it absolutely misrepresents impact.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2018, 04:54 AM
And wasnít Curry #1 in RPM yet he is probably the weakest defender in the top 25...wtf are even talking about?

I love dealing with people who give out opinions but have 0 clue what they are talking about... curry was 3 on rpm and him being a weak defender shows on RPM with him really being a 0 on defense.. its just his offense was so sick that it over came his defense unlike lebron... Harden and curry were 1 and 2 in Offensive real plus minus... lebron was 3rd.... The sad part is that curry and harden were much better defenders than lebron last year which is why they were above him... And no cov isnt better than lebron but cov was quite literally so much better than lebron defensively its actually sad while still being a positive offensively... If you took time to understand the stats and not just ride to a team that 1 player goes you might understand this a bit

I hate curry as much as the next guy but at this stage he is a better defender then lebron because he tries and he plays really good team defense... he cant man to man like lebron but his effort and team defense and sticking to what he knows makes him the better defender... Of the top 45 RPM guys last year 44 of them played better defense compared to lebron... kyrie at 45 is the first person that is actually worse than lebron james defense last year... You can be a fan and love a player and realize how 1 way that player has become and where he has declined... Lebron is still the goat and still the best player on the planet but we shouldnt credit the guy for not trying in the regular season.

Bostonjorge
11-13-2018, 05:57 AM
Covington is a good player to have. He will get all the key defensive assignments and play off the ball.

Butler is a superstar player but KAT was regressing playing next to Butler. Timberwolves had to trade Butler.

ewing
11-13-2018, 08:50 AM
I love dealing with people who give out opinions but have 0 clue what they are talking about... curry was 3 on rpm and him being a weak defender shows on RPM with him really being a 0 on defense.. its just his offense was so sick that it over came his defense unlike lebron... Harden and curry were 1 and 2 in Offensive real plus minus... lebron was 3rd.... The sad part is that curry and harden were much better defenders than lebron last year which is why they were above him... And no cov isnt better than lebron but cov was quite literally so much better than lebron defensively its actually sad while still being a positive offensively... If you took time to understand the stats and not just ride to a team that 1 player goes you might understand this a bit

I hate curry as much as the next guy but at this stage he is a better defender then lebron because he tries and he plays really good team defense... he cant man to man like lebron but his effort and team defense and sticking to what he knows makes him the better defender... Of the top 45 RPM guys last year 44 of them played better defense compared to lebron... kyrie at 45 is the first person that is actually worse than lebron james defense last year... You can be a fan and love a player and realize how 1 way that player has become and where he has declined... Lebron is still the goat and still the best player on the planet but we shouldnt credit the guy for not trying in the regular season.

Cov couldnít have played the best ball of his life and he is was on the Cavs instead of LeBron there is no way they make the playoffs.

Heediot
11-13-2018, 09:36 AM
LMAO.

Dude is a modern Shane Battier with lower iq and probably more accurate shot from 3.

In a re-draft he might be a 3rd round pick which outs him around 60-90 best in the nba IMO.

R. Johnson#3
11-13-2018, 09:59 AM
That's a really bad comparison. Covington can actually shoot a basketball.

Theyíre both great athletic defenders who have brutal offensive games? Yeah, Wallaceís 3pt shot was bad but Covingtonís is ridiculously inconsistent. Itís also the only thing he can do on offence.

warfelg
11-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Theyíre both great athletic defenders who have brutal offensive games? Yeah, Wallaceís 3pt shot was bad but Covingtonís is ridiculously inconsistent. Itís also the only thing he can do on offence.

All shooters are inconsistent. Klay was trash from deep to start the year and heís a great shooter.

ewing
11-13-2018, 10:11 AM
All shooters are inconsistent. Klay was trash from deep to start the year and heís a great shooter.

Cov does seem somewhat wildly inconsistent which is why I like the Danny Green comparison. Every once in a while Green will give to a stretch of play where he convinces you he isnít just a reasonable floor stretcher but a legit weapon shooting. Cov feels very similar. I ageee Wallace and Cov are different. Even the way they defend. Gerald was super high motor and pressure guy. Cov is more real solid position, lateral movement and smarts. More of a Battier style imo like Hed said while Gerald had more of a prime Artest style.

warfelg
11-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Cov does seem somewhat wildly inconsistent which is why I like the Danny Green comparison. Every once in a while Green will give to a stretch of play where he convinces you he isnít just a reasonable floor stretcher but a legit weapon shooting. Cov feels very similar. I ageee Wallace and Cov are different. Even the way they defend. Gerald was super high motor and pressure guy. Cov is more real solid position, lateral movement and smarts. More of a Battier style imo like Hed said while Gerald had more of a prime Artest style.

Covington is like Bruce Bowen. Leave him alone on offense and he kills you. Pay attention and he kills the offense.

TheDish87
11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/4/27/17292156/robert-covington-top-30-nba-player

I'm all for the Bulter move but man losing roco hurts badly.

Losing Cov doesnt hurt a bit. not even a little, he will be forgotten real fast.

Tg11
11-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Does he make the Wolves better

TheDish87
11-13-2018, 10:34 AM
sure there is... one is a top 5 defender in all of basketball... the other never was

are you ****ing hight cov is a top 5 defender? hes a great team defender and very active but he cant lock anyone down in an iso situation.

warfelg
11-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Heís not top 5, but youíve long had a strange dislike for Cov.

R. Johnson#3
11-13-2018, 10:44 AM

When your 3pt% is over 40% every single season thatís the epitome of consistency. Klay just had a bad stretch to start the year. Covington never really develops any kind of stretch. Heís up and down throughout the season when it comes to his 3pt shot.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Cov couldnít have played the best ball of his life and he is was on the Cavs instead of LeBron there is no way they make the playoffs.

are you guys just trolling at this point???? when did i ever say they would? i said 10 times lebron got credit for coasting in the regular season... he was horrible on the defensive end and yes he was still better than cov because his offensive game made up for the defensive... of course he is better than cov but defense matters and bron was a putrid defender last year.. Bron had a top 5 season WHICH I HAVE SAID 30 TIMES... Cov had a top 30 season... do you see the gap??

Tg11
11-13-2018, 10:51 AM
He gives the Wolves 3 point shooting and defense but other than that what else?

More-Than-Most
11-13-2018, 10:51 AM
are you ****ing hight cov is a top 5 defender? hes a great team defender and very active but he cant lock anyone down in an iso situation.

not even worth responding to... you have hated cov in the sixers area for the longest. You do realize there is stats for FG percent against in just those situations right and cov excels against the other teams best player quite often.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2018, 10:52 AM

https://thesixersense.com/2018/11/04/philadelphia-76ers-who-lose-minutes-wilson-chandler/

he is actually a top 2 defender this year and was a top 10 defender last year. His defense this year has been ridiculous

RoCo has held opponents to just 27 percent shooting from three-point range this year, an excellent mark. Heís also held opponents to just 33 percent shooting from 15 feet out.

ewing
11-13-2018, 11:25 AM
are you guys just trolling at this point???? when did i ever say they would? i said 10 times lebron got credit for coasting in the regular season... he was horrible on the defensive end and yes he was still better than cov because his offensive game made up for the defensive... of course he is better than cov but defense matters and bron was a putrid defender last year.. Bron had a top 5 season WHICH I HAVE SAID 30 TIMES... Cov had a top 30 season... do you see the gap??

You Cov had a top 30 season based on a stat that also says he had more impact then LeBron during the regular season. your stat is dumb

TheDish87
11-13-2018, 12:01 PM

ive never disliked, hes annoying most nights. i never understood how anyone can watch him and see yea top 5/all league defender without cherry picking advanced stats. As a whole hes ok but he still cant dribble, drive, or finish at the rim as a 6'8 wing. His offensive IQ is laughably low. Like i said hes a great team defender and as active as they come but im not relying on him to get a game winning stop against the leagues elite.

warfelg
11-13-2018, 12:58 PM
You say that last bit despite all evidence pointing to the contrary.

TheDish87
11-13-2018, 01:38 PM
what evidence? he was ****ing torched in the playoffs both rounds in iso situations.

valade16
11-13-2018, 02:16 PM

I actually think it's the perfect comparison. This Covington love because of his high RPM reminds me of a few years back when Crowder was putting up great RPM numbers and everyone was talking about how he was this good and the ultimate glue guy.

He was 26th in RPM in 2016 and 20th in 2017. Then he got traded and his RPM plummeted as his flaws were exposed.

And he's similar to Covington in that they are not even remotely Top 25 level players however they have a certain skillset that given the right fit can be maximized to increase their impact on the court. But if they aren't in that situation their impact falls back to their ability.

Which brings us to Danny Green. He was the Covington before Covington.

36th in RPM 2014
12th in RPM 2015
24th in RPM 2016

Point is: this incredible RPM by role players such as Covington has been done before, and in every case they were not a Top 25 player (except Draymond Green). They were a quality role player whose impact was maximized by their team, fit, etc.

The same is true of Covington.

mightybosstone
11-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Why is this even a thread? He's a really solid 3 and D guy. And there's no shame in that, but he's definitely not a "star." The only way a 3 and D guy can justify being called a "star" is if that guy can hit 3-pointers with the volume of a guy like Klay Thompson or develops a "jack-of-all-trades" type skillset like Draymond Green or peak Iguodala in Philly/Denver.

When Covington starts scoring 18-20 a night consistently or starts filling the stat sheet with 5-6 assists a game, then we can talk. But the dude is pretty one-dimensional right now.

FlashBolt
11-13-2018, 05:02 PM
If Covington was as good as some are saying, it's absolutely pitiful you guys couldn't get past the Celtics last year.

beasted86
11-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Who let the dupes out?

More-Than-Most
11-13-2018, 11:24 PM
If Covington was as good as some are saying, it's absolutely pitiful you guys couldn't get past the Celtics last year.

not at all... embiid and ben were mostly the blame for that loss if we are being honest... Horford owns embiid period because he is a smart defender and thus that is why embiid working on becoming a post monster all off season... Embiid also finally got his first full off season of workouts while healthy... on top of this Ben just got exposed... He will have issues against very good defensive teams with depth because of his lack of shot and these 2 things are ultimately why we got boned by a depleted but in my opinion a better celtics team... I said last year the celtics were better without kyrie/hayward because of their team defensive depth and so on... They tossed in an iso scorer who is probably the worst defender in basketball at his position and a guy who was overrated to begin with and now coming off of an injury... In fact I believe you were right there with me when people said the celtics would now be unstoppable because they will only get better adding kyrie/hayward.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Who let the dupes out?

i only have one dupe and his name is more-then-most and i miss him.